Toxic Communication in Sea of Thieves?

• Check out this interesting interview with Phil Spencer about toxicity in gaming:

Of special note:

"Xbox Live is not a free speech platform. It is not a place where anybody can come and say anything. And ... we’re working to ensure it’s a safe and inclusive environment for everybody..."

So if you find yourself being exposed to a "toxic stew of hate speech, bigotry and misogyny" while being spawn killed or waiting for your Arena match to start, be sure to use the tools available to you to report them both to Rare and Microsoft.

Help make this community "a safe and inclusive environment for everybody."

Views
  • Sounds fine to me.

• I reported all toxic trashtalk to Rare.
    PvP is not toxic in general, it becomes toxic when they start trashtalking.
    And it can be toxic if you get spawnkilled over and over to get your supllies, but to this there is a counter called scuttle.
    It's maybe not very playfull, but still an option to avoid it.
    There is no better solution to it because supplies should be stealable.
    You have different random spawn locations on your ship, if that doesnt help scuttle.

About toxicity in gaming.
    Well, we are talking about gamers who lack social competence in the majority.
    No wonder.
    I just feel pity for them if they act like this. They need to have a poor education and be very unhappy persons in real life, maybe punished enough by that.

• "It is not a place where anybody can come and say anything"

Man get in Arena lobby and listen what kind of rubbish talk there is...
    if they do something it's definitely good.

• Not even the kids who play are safe. The way some of you talk to minors under 10 is more than jaw dropping.

• @little-squash said in Toxic Communication in Sea of Thieves?:

Check out this interesting interview with Phil Spencer about toxicity in gaming:

Of special note:

"Xbox Live is not a free speech platform. It is not a place where anybody can come and say anything. And ... we’re working to ensure it’s a safe and inclusive environment for everybody..."

So if you find yourself being exposed to a "toxic stew of hate speech, bigotry and misogyny" while being spawn killed or waiting for your Arena match to start, be sure to use the tools available to you to report them both to Rare and Microsoft.

Help make this community "a safe and inclusive environment for everybody."

ok I didn't know this

• @tiferet-x said in Toxic Communication in Sea of Thieves?:

"It is not a place where anybody can come and say anything"

Man get in Arena lobby and listen what kind of rubbish talk there is...
    if they do something it's definitely good.

I think "toxic stew of hate speech, bigotry and misogyny" is a pretty appropriate description for some of what I hear.

Remember, we need to be proactive at reporting this to Rare and Microsoft to help them clean this up.

• Rare need to really sort out the tools to mute other players.

I can turn down other crew volume to 0 and I Still hear them (albeit muffled) and I cannot turn off the in game chat without hiding the entire hud!

Let me disable the chat box.

• @satanicnemesis
    If you can still hear other crews, that sounds like a bug. It can be reported here:

https://support.seaofthieves.com/hc/en-gb/requests/new

• Banning , Punishing or creating a shadow of a Big Brother like system will not change the way a verbal trashtalker is currently thinking...
    It takes a lot more effort to change a mentality , because Banning and Punishing will only force the cullpritt to troll or tell his/her rubbish in a more secluded way...

It may alter the game enviroment but it won't change an inner mentality ... In my country it is forbidden to utter racist comments , that is punishable by law , but that doesn't mean that racism belongs to the past ...

In the game is a lot of verbal nonsense, but some utter it as a "strike first" kind of defence and if you can see or hear through that fear and take the first verbal punches on yer chin, one can alter the mood by not retailiating or simply make the one, who uttered these words, clear that these words are not needed to have a fun game...

Oh, i know that some will never change ...Some people needs more age and experiences in Life that will put them down with both feet on the ground before they realized and look back towards themselves and see that they weren't the best people to have a game , chat or life with...

• @clumsy-george said in Toxic Communication in Sea of Thieves?:

In the game is a lot of verbal nonsense, but some utter it as a "strike first" kind of defence and if you can see or hear through that fear and take the first verbal punches on yer chin, one can alter the mood by not retailiating or simply make the one, who uttered these words, clear that these words are not needed to have a fun game...

I would definitely encourage those of us who are able to respond this way to do so. It is an important part of promoting a climate that is open to all.

• @satanicnemesis said in Toxic Communication in Sea of Thieves?:

Rare need to really sort out the tools to mute other players.

I can turn down other crew volume to 0 and I Still hear them (albeit muffled) and I cannot turn off the in game chat without hiding the entire hud!

Let me disable the chat box.

It's very easy to completely mute other crews in Sea of Thieves. Don't use the volume sliders. Go to "My Crew" and you'll find options to mute chat, text, and even pirate chat from other crews.

• Xbox has been doing this for years. They can only track down what has been sent through the xbox chat. Even then your first sentence is a 24 hour ban from chat. second is a week and then the third is loss of your account. now you have time between these reports to keep on getting first offences and never have anything else happen. In the end it's up to you and your ability to either report and mute or toughen up realize that not everyone is friendly or even cares.

Views
3 out of 13