This new update concerns me.

• I feel like rare is slowly killing their game changing it in big ways to make it easier and eliminating and skill factors so anyone can do the same things without thinking, if they were going to take out the capstan drop they should have worked on the cross play opt out first you won't be able to board pc shis and drop an anchor in arena. What bothers me about this update is the changes people want aren't coming to show they say things like "oh we are working on it" or "we are having issues behind the scenes" but don't give us any clues as to the issues. Rare needs to be a little more transparent talking about up coming features that are game changing. I don't have high hopes for this game anymore and I'm giving it 5 months before it's even more dead than it is now especially if this is the way it keeps going.

Views
  • I don't understand this post.

Rare is making the game easier. Surely, being able to drop the anchor with a cannonball is much easier than having to board the ship, get past the ladder guards and drop it yourself, so removing that should be making the game harder?

Oh wait, this is just a veiled crossplay complaint.

• @d3adst1ck I agree the capstan shouldn't be an instant drop but on three hits that would justify it

• @fast-bike94 What makes you think they won't do that? In order for that to work, they need to add additional UI to indicate that it is damaged so you can repair it and this would be different from the handles missing, since that only affects the speed at which you can raise it back up.

Its quicker to just remove the feature entirely, because a lot of new players were getting frustrated by it, until they can figure out a new damage indication system.

• @d3adst1ck I suppose you're right

• People have been predicting the death of this game since before it launched. Does it never get old?

• @rk1-turbulence I honestly think it is dead at this point bit 5 months till even less people are playing it seems like I'm running into the same people over and over in arena and adventure mode I will usually find someone I've met twice a day and I think them not showing active user numbers only proves it they don't want to show people just how low the player numbers are

• @rk1-turbulence said in This new update concerns me.:

People have been predicting the death of this game since before it launched. Does it never get old?

Literally every comments section on SOT YouTube videos for the last year has at least one "Is this a dead game?"

• It is not dead, but undead.

It gets up and kills. The games it kills get up and kill!

• Rare are working hard at making this some kind of game for 2 year olds.

Rare are working hard at removing any real challenge.

Rare are working hard at killing the game off.

• @fast-bike94 said in This new update concerns me.:

I feel like rare is slowly killing their game changing it in big ways to make it easier and eliminating and skill factors so anyone can do the same things without thinking, if they were going to take out the capstan drop they should have worked on the cross play opt out first you won't be able to board pc shis and drop an anchor in arena. What bothers me about this update is the changes people want aren't coming to show they say things like "oh we are working on it" or "we are having issues behind the scenes" but don't give us any clues as to the issues. Rare needs to be a little more transparent talking about up coming features that are game changing. I don't have high hopes for this game anymore and I'm giving it 5 months before it's even more dead than it is now especially if this is the way it keeps going.

Ironic that you complain about them allegedly making the game easier while complaining about them removing the easiest way to disable and board a ship. I think you are more than a bit confused. Sounds to me like someone needs to learn better tactics.

• @dlchief58 I used to board but you aren't boarding for an achor drop on a pc ship I literally switched to pc for boarding in arena now I can kill the entire ship and usually get them to rage quit the session. On a controller that isn't possible better range of motion on the keyboard and mouse.

• As a PC player I approve the capstan change.

• Have snakes been made less aggressive? They seem very unresponsive.

• The tech side of this game is a mess!!

I mean we're having bad pings , low LoDs, terrible data streaming issues (sharp fps drops when an island is loading), a poor rendering distance, lag spikes during heavy combat situations and so much more!

Yet they keep fixing totally irrelevant stuff and modify vital gameplay features that nobody really complained about.

Sometimes it seem like they over estimate their product...

Creativity, Lore, estethics and ambiance are a thing...

But when you see how poorly the game runs when servers are a bit stressed out, you come to realize that this project needs a serious overhaul on some major departments!

• @fast-bike94 said in This new update concerns me.:

@rk1-turbulence I honestly think it is dead at this point bit 5 months till even less people are playing it seems like I'm running into the same people over and over in arena and adventure mode I will usually find someone I've met twice a day and I think them not showing active user numbers only proves it they don't want to show people just how low the player numbers are

Lol Joe Neate said during E3 that 2 Million Players only played since Anniversary Update and a top number of 8,4 M People played SoT since launch! Who isn’t sharing Numbers???

• @fast-bike94

I feel as if this is a cross play complaint more than anything. As the fact that being on PC has no bearings on guarding your ship from boarders. PC or Xbox you watch your ladders.

About the anchor. I would venture that they did that because how hard it is to fight back against a ship that has you dead with perfect angles.

In RTS they have a term called critical mass. This means that the army has become so big or you have so much of 1 unit that nothing can possibly stop it.

The anchor was such an issue. I've seen players get stuck because islands and forts would hit the anchor multiple times and you would just get stuck. Same thing with Pvp. There was no way to stop it sometimes. With the added damage to the game, the anchor is just something else that would increase the one sided beat down. The situation can go completely one sided and there's no amount of teamwork to turn it around.

Could they have done something different??? Probably, would require a lot of thought and balance. Should they have left it in Arena, oh most definitely.

I would rather they get rid of it completely though and then work on rebalancing it, instead of leaving it in. Was very annoying to deal with. Stupid devil's ridge.

• @monkeyshishan said in This new update concerns me.:

With the added damage to the game, the anchor is just something else that would increase the one sided beat down. The situation can go completely one sided and there's no amount of teamwork to turn it around.

Great point. I was OK with the anchor drop, but when the capstan was damaged then it was just frustrating to deal with. Mobility is crucial in ship v ship battles. Dealing with a dropped anchor and a damaged capstan was too clumsy. I would say the same for a broken mast, but that doesn't bother me as much

Could they have done something different??? Probably, would require a lot of thought and balance. Should they have left it in Arena, oh most definitely.

Keeping it for Arena would have been a great idea. But I would also have supported the removal of capstan damage as well

People have been predicting the death of this game since before it launched. Does it never get old?

People have been predicting the death of WoW since before release. It's the same for every game. This never gets old. Eventually someone will be right.

It's like a lottery, the jackpot is being right.

• @wildbloodoz a dit dans This new update concerns me. :

@monkeyshishan said in This new update concerns me.:

Great point. I was OK with the anchor drop, but when the capstan was damaged then it was just frustrating to deal with. Mobility is crucial in ship v ship battles. Dealing with a dropped anchor and a damaged capstan was too clumsy. I would say the same for a broken mast, but that doesn't bother me as much

That's because the masts actually requires multiple hits or an explosion to go down. Capstan, in my mind, was way too sensitive.
    One time, we were fighting a sloop and our ships were really close to each others, like REALLY close. We could jump from one ship to another. I shot a canonball at the upper deck of the sloop and I hit the hull from the outside, near the ladder. Well it was enough to trigger the enemy's capstan. The canonball wasn't that close to the capstan honestly. My crew congratulated me but It felt wrong ahah.
    I want the feature to come back but It needs balancing before.

• @fast-bike94 The anchor not dropping is a good change, sure I'd love to be able to drop the anchor with some well placed shots but in the old version this was just too often. As was said here as well, Rare can't instantly create things, if they want to fix this they do right by reverting this first and tweaking it after.

The whole crossplay debate is a hotbed of assumptions and propper concerns and it's a minefield to navigate. Disabling crossplay in Arena is a given, I never expected Rare to put X-Box crews up against PC players. What I can say is that boarding a ship isnt a simple case of it being Pc or X-box but rather a case of people who pay attention and those who are just standing around behind the cannons waiting to get one shot with a bunderbuss.
    I can hear a boarder come and shoot him with a blunderbuss and thus keep everyone off my ship. I can do that on Pc and on X-Box because I know the sounds. Pointing your gun at a ladder and shooting isn't hard on either PC or X-Box.

Also, people were begging Rare to change the capstan damage so it was wat people were asking. Rare has proven itself to not just change something because it's been asked (except for crossplay opt-out).

Also also, Rorschach wants his sign back.

• Took a look at the latest update patch notes, saw nothing about optional crossplay being implemented, and therefor not really interested in any of the other changes.
    That is the only change that will bring me back playing this game now.
    Been enjoying many other titles that game pass has to offer for a while now, that don't treat their Xbox users like Rare are.

• The game has had 2 million new players in the last 6 weeks. That's hardly dead.

Well the game is over a year old now and looks to be living strong and will for some time to come!
    Long Live Sea of Thieves I say like you matey!

• @needsmokes said in This new update concerns me.:

Been enjoying many other titles that game pass has to offer for a while now, that don't treat their Xbox users like Rare are.

But they fondle me soooooo sweetly....

https://media1.giphy.com/media/fxWsTKOEwAVMs/giphy.gif?cid=19f5b51a5d0b621157774b6c51559356&rid=giphy.gif

• @dotcomrobots said in This new update concerns me.:

I mean we're having bad pings , low LoDs, terrible data streaming issues (sharp fps drops when an island is loading), a poor rendering distance, lag spikes during heavy combat situations and so much more!

Funnily enough, my pings have improved significantly in the past 6 months. I used to average 70-90ms and now it's down around 30-40ms. There are still the odd spikes but nothing that would concern me too much.

I do think they need further optimisation work done in certain areas though, I get frame stutter and framerate drops on a few islands (namely Plunder Outpost, Plunder Valley and Thieves' Haven - places where there is a lot of dense foliage).

• There's literally a cursed cannon ball that makes the ship drop anchor.

• My guess with the anchor drop is that they needed to change the mechanic so it becomes 2 hits then it drops.. At least I hope so

• @uribedh said in This new update concerns me.:

There's literally a cursed cannon ball that makes the ship drop anchor.

And with the added benefit of being able to raise an anchor too. Handy for combining with a rigging ball to lower sails and make a ship beach itself onto an island.

• @realstyli Can you please provide a screenshot of this?
    Even top US streamers that have top notch ISP don't have that kind of ping (30ms) and nothing has really been adressed on the dev side so I'm genuinely intrigued.

@realstyli Can you please provide a screenshot of this?
    Even top US streamers that have top notch ISP don't have that kind of ping (30ms) and nothing has really been adressed on the dev side so I'm genuinely intrigued.

It's probably more than likely because I live in Ireland and the Northern Europe Azure servers are located here. But if I think about it, I'll try to get a screenshot.

• @realstyli Wow that's even worse than I thought! :D

It's good for you though but 30ms!! Jeez that's a lot considering you're so close to their Azure datacenters.

Rare should really do a proper dev update dedicated to the network side of SoT and explain why the game is having such trouble..

@realstyli Wow that's even worse than I thought! :D

It's good for you though but 30ms!! Jeez that's a lot considering you're so close to their Azure datacenters.

Rare should really do a proper dev update dedicated to the network side of SoT and explain us why they are having such trouble..

Yeah, that's good for this game. It's not like when I was playing COD back in the day and getting less than 10ms ping.

I'd say a lot of it is just the game isn't optimised in the same way because it's not a twitch shooter and they are factoring in a lot more data that needs to be logged/tracked by servers than a typical first person arena shooter would have - up to 24 players + 6 ships + loot + other dynamic items in the world, as well as weather systems and AI.

In something like this game, I can live with that sort of ping (even as high as 100ms) as long as it's consistent.

• @RealStyli Nowdays, it's inacceptable.

No games should have these kind of flaws at all. I mean we're talking about really nasty teleportation and hit registration problems along with quite frequent lag spikes.. (just to mention the network related issues)

We're in end 2019 and most games are doing well when it comes to this. Even indie f2p online games (steam) are doing well with their network. I don't ask for perfection but when I see how upopular indie shooters are doing well I feel kind of sad for SoT.

Frankly, even the adventure mode can't hold the 24 player population AT ALL. I've seen it with my own eyes. It's unbelievable that the game behaves like that. Just try to gather 24 players in the same location and watch.. it's really alarming.

In the meantime, SoT is clearly making small steps towards competitive formats (Arena)
    If they want to succeed in this they must fix the game fast or it will never reach the audience it deserves because the potential is there but the "technicals" aren't.

SoT is an amazing world with a very talented team behind it, but the tech departement is clearly not managing the situation very well.
    The game was out 1 year ago, I think it's time for them to kill the problem once and for all...

@realstyli Can you please provide a screenshot of this?

Yeah there's your problem there, the US has a drasticly poor infrastructure.
    I live within 100Km of the Azure Datacenter just above Amsterdam that houses the SoT services for North Western Europe, I get 30-40MS.

Views
21 out of 93