Release Notes Discussion 2.0.4

• Release Notes - 2.0.4

Our maintenance period isn't quite over yet, but the latest update to Sea of Thieves is is nearly here! Read our release notes to find out more about the fixes and quality of life improvements to the Anniversary Update that this build introduces.

Release Notes 2.0.4

alt text

LOOKING FOR CREW?

Looking for new crewmates? We've got a bunch of places you can visit to seek out like-minded pirates, so sail on over to these official Sea of Thieves hangouts:

Forums
    Xbox Club
    Verified Discord

Views
  • Direct hits should still have a chance to drop the capstan, just remove the splash damage on it!

• I'm honestly really disappointed that the explosion trap for art of the trickster is easier. The extreme terror my crew felt the first time we dug up the key and saw the explosions coming was some of the most fun I have had in the tall tales. That's the one change I am not fond of.

• Wow thats a long list, good job...its a shame that optional crossplay isnt on it...

• I have bought just about everything in the game please add more cosmetics so i can experience 'Purchase Complete Audio – When completing a purchase, the audio sting is now tied to the amount spent.'

• Great update, can't wait to get playing!

• @takuboto

‘Art of the Trickster’ Explosion Trap – The explosion trap sequence has been revised to reduce the chances of Tale failure due to the Trapmaker’s Key exploding.

Why make things easier? I don't understand why this was needed. It was already pretty difficult to explode anyway.

The Arena Matchmaking Update – Some changes have been made to matchmaking in The Arena and players are now more likely to be pitted against a new rival crew after each contest. Your own crew will remain the same, and this change will only affect who you face in The Arena.

A very good change which should eliminate farming behavior. Thanks for this!

• @puzzlepiece197 my first time doing it I was completely frazzled, I carried the key toward the explosions...

• Capstan Suggestion:

In Arena, dropping the Anchor with a Cannon Ball was a game changer, I personally believe it was too OP, but also removing it is again a game changer :D

Suggestion:

Capstan drops anchor when there is one handle left, for example, galleon will need 3 hits on Capstan to remove handles, and if it got hit when one handle is left, it drops.

Same for Brig and Sloop, So two hits to drop on sloop, 3 hits to drop on brig.

If only way to drop anchor now again is by boarding a ship, Blunderbuss should be nerfed.

Anchor drop and Blunderbuss are greatly related in PVP.

• @puzzlepiece197 I totaly agree. It was realy epic for me and my crew when I dug up the keg and they run away :)

• Great work as alway team. 👍

• Dropping the capstan with a cannonball was actually one of the coolest parts of the game. So fun to actually land that shot. If it hits you, then you just have to catch the anchor.

• Can't believe they've removed the capstan dropping, that was such a fun mechanism. :(

• @takuboto really cool QoL changes.

About the Capstan, I believe this is an alteration for some improvements in the future. As adding damage before it drops like happens with the Masts. Maybe a better hit registration that only accurate shots do actual damage and making it to drop.
    I hope so. . But at least the remotion of this is already something good.

• @xxpremisesxx said in Release Notes Discussion 2.0.4:

"known issues" nothing about the embarrassing hit reg there? it amazes me how you add a "competitive" game mode yet the hit reg is a meme at this point... Why won't you acknowledge you have a serious problem... or is the hit reg problems there to close the skill gap between pc and console players while you get optional crossplay finished? atleast do the players a favour and just remove the hit markers all together... it's obvious they don't work as intended.

They have acknowledged it. In a dev video some weeks back they mentioned that they have changes that they want to start testing on the Insider's build. No mention of when that is or what kind of improvements we will see though.

• Not a fan of the capstan not dropping. It made ship to ship combat so much more fun.

• @phuzzybond said in Release Notes Discussion 2.0.4:

Suggestion:

Capstan drops anchor when there is one handle left, for example, galleon will need 3 hits on Capstan to remove handles, and if it got hit when one handle is left, it drops.

Disagree here. It should not be easier to drop an anchor on any ship, especially the smaller ones. Brig and sloop sit crazy low compared to a Galleon, so it is already one-sided and your suggestion makes it worse.

Better would be a random chance on direct hits, and zero chance on AOE damage. This is still sided towards larger ships, but that is minor compared to the above.

• While I agree the instant drop on the anchor had to go, I think getting rid of it completely was the wrong choice. If anything make it a hit the capstan a few times.

• All well and good for another week of fixes, but honestly.. when are we going to start seeing bilge rats again, or at the very least, the emporium to start getting some of an idea of MTX.

Nothing but patches the last 2 months. Not even so much as a few new cosmetics through a little shop update.

• @phuzzybond said in Release Notes Discussion 2.0.4:

[...]

[...]

I'd go the other way to balance it more fairly, meaning; the smaller your ship the more hits your Capstan can take.

3 hits to the Capstan on a Sloop.
    2 hits to the Capstan on a Brigantine.
    1 hit to the Capstan on a Galleon.

Not realistic, but i think gameplay wise it is the more balanced approach (kinda like how the bail mechanics work on the three shiptypes).
    Solo Players would have it a bit easier when faced with Skellies/Players aiming for their Capstan, giving them a bit of a buffer, and Arena (with Galleons) would be how it was before.

• I don't see hit reg in known issues, so has it been fixed?

any word on full release of arena for the rest of the ship types?

• @treefittymonsta said in Release Notes Discussion 2.0.4:

I don't see hit reg in known issues, so has it been fixed?

If its not in the notes, its probably not fixed. A major issue like that wouldn't be resolved in a stealth patch, they will shout it from the rooftops.

• @d3adst1ck said in Release Notes Discussion 2.0.4:

@treefittymonsta said in Release Notes Discussion 2.0.4:

I don't see hit reg in known issues, so has it been fixed?

If its not in the notes, its probably not fixed. A major issue like that wouldn't be resolved in a stealth patch, they will shout it from the rooftops.

ok, but I would probably add it to the known issues in my opinion. it's a huge topic every but their patch notes.

• What I'd like to have seen - hit reg aside:
    Removed Storms from Arena.
    Nerfed amount of Sharks spawning in Arena.

Instead, we lose anchor damage.

• @tre-oni said in Release Notes Discussion 2.0.4:

All well and good for another week of fixes, but honestly.. when are we going to start seeing bilge rats again, or at the very least, the emporium to start getting some of an idea of MTX.

Nothing but patches the last 2 months. Not even so much as a few new cosmetics through a little shop update.

Same. Missing the old good BR adventures! Having some exclusive items to unlock and things to do...

There was already something for us to achieve..

• @puzzlepiece197 said in Release Notes Discussion 2.0.4:

I'm honestly really disappointed that the explosion trap for art of the trickster is easier. The extreme terror my crew felt the first time we dug up the key and saw the explosions coming was some of the most fun I have had in the tall tales. That's the one change I am not fond of.

Hunter's Call Pro Tip: After all the explosions are finished, go back and collect all the meat left behind by the animals that died.

• @xxpremisesxx Its in the May 15th dev update:

Mentioned around 3m50s.

• @d3adst1ck said in Release Notes Discussion 2.0.4:

@xxpremisesxx Its in the May 15th dev update:

Mentioned around 3m50s.

wow forgot they acknowledge the problem over a month ago.. hopefully he'll give an update on the hit reg fix. and why it's taking so long to fix.

• @treefittymonsta They've known about hit reg for much longer than that. It's clearly a difficult issue to deal with.

• 3 hits to the Capstan on a Sloop.
    2 hits to the Capstan on a Brigantine.
    1 hit to the Capstan on a Galleon.

Visually and thematically this wouldn't make sense. A dropped anchor on a sloopis also far less damaging than a dropped anchor on a galleon(the former can be raised very quickly by one person, the other requires 3-4 people to raise quickly). Sloops are also far more maneuverable(can speed up/slow down faster, turn faster and react to winds faster), which also makes them harder targets(for both the environment and other players).

• @tre-oni said in Release Notes Discussion 2.0.4:

All well and good for another week of fixes, but honestly.. when are we going to start seeing bilge rats again, or at the very least, the emporium to start getting some of an idea of MTX.

YES. I'm really missing Bilge Rats and time limited stuff right now, there was always something exciting about getting out there to do events before they left the game and encountering other players working on it too.

Not mercenary voyages though... I just want good 'ol Bilge Rat events.

• Looking for some clarification on the following item from the latest patch notes (2.0.4).

"‘The Shores of Gold’ – Resolved an issue where players would find that previously completed Commendations for ‘The Shores of Gold’ were showing as no longer completed even though the rewards had already been granted. Players may find that progress towards these Commendations since the previous release has been reverted. We’re aware of this issue and will be working to resolve it as soon as possible."

The wording is a bit unclear. I take it to mean that if you had already completed a commendation that was no longer showing as completed (despite rewards being granted) , that is now fixed. But, if you were working towards a certain commendation (for example, you've done a certain tale 3/5 times), that it might now show 0/5 or something to that effect.

I can't comment on the second part because I've completed every commendation so I have no partials that could be reverted. But the first half is certainly not accurate. I'm specifically referring to chapter 9. Not only I have completed the tale 5 times and earned the Gold Hoarder jacket, figurehead, curse, and title, but now my gold hoarder jacket is also showing as being locked, despite having and equipping all 4 items. And now my commendation progress is shown as 6/10, not 7/10 as it was before the patch.

Color me confused but I don't think this is resolved and respectfully request that it be looked into further. Thank you.

• @chronodusk said in Release Notes Discussion 2.0.4:

@tre-oni said in Release Notes Discussion 2.0.4:

YES. I'm really missing Bilge Rats and time limited stuff right now, there was always something exciting about getting out there to do events before they left the game and encountering other players working on it too.

Not mercenary voyages though... I just want good 'ol Bilge Rat events.

I think that rare thinks the anniversary update is going to cover them for the next few months of content. when in reality this is all the content that should have been in the game when they prematurely released last year.

I also hope that bilge rat adventures come soon, but a part of me once them to finish the arena for brigs and sloops as a priority.

• It seems a few easter eggs may have made it into this build too...

alt text

Spotted anything pirates?

• @acebead40319154 said in Release Notes Discussion 2.0.4:

Dropping the capstan with a cannonball was actually one of the coolest parts of the game. So fun to actually land that shot. If it hits you, then you just have to catch the anchor.

@british-legends said in Release Notes Discussion 2.0.4:

Can't believe they've removed the capstan dropping, that was such a fun mechanism. :(

Agree with you both but the less HC players complained (whined) and VOILÁ as usual......NERF!

Anyway: "Cannon splash damage now correctly counts towards cannon kills for the Iron Sea Dog Commendation." - Does this mean we don't actually have to kill the person to get the commendation? I got like 6 in like 2 matches...when it took me like more than one and a half month to get 21!

Views
23 out of 57