[Mega Thread] Crossplay announcement in the recent Dev Update video.

• @squaz05 I'm saying if a pc player leaves an xbox takes its place I wouldn't be opposed to having pc players use a game pad to join other xbox players as well

• @squaz05 so ruin the look of the game to compete with pc right lol they need this cross play opt out even just to try it and see how it is if it starts ruining the metrics then remove it lol simple

• @lobane said in [Mega Thread] Crossplay announcement in the recent Dev Update video.:

@squaz05 said in [Mega Thread] Crossplay announcement in the recent Dev Update video.:

@algaram said in [Mega Thread] Crossplay announcement in the recent Dev Update video.:

@fast-bike94 said in [Mega Thread] Crossplay announcement in the recent Dev Update video.:

I mean is this cross play opt put even going to happen it feels like they are hoping people forget about it and they just don't do it or don't do it till the game gets bigger, if that's what they are waiting for then the game is going to never grow new players are leaving already because they think there are hackers all over this game all it is is pc or mouse and keyboard turning around instantly to shoot you and better frames. I'm already sing decline in activity from this game I run into the same people over and over in arena people on my friends list as well that says to me the games population is very low

so how is splitting a low population in 2 separate halfs going to help --- think about it you are saying you keep seeing the same people now take half those players away (thanos) and see how long load times are and then see how many people leave because of said extended load times and see how many people leave because of low pop.

splitting the pop in half will only make the population decline even faster

your post is contradicting in itself roflmao its funny you said I see a decline in pop and see the same people but when are they going to split the community in half hahahahhahahaha

opt out crossplay kills about 70% of the population for a PC player. and there is no way this PC player can do anything to improve this situation. so we are left on dead servers, the merged servers will have pings of 300+ and the arena queue times will be 30+ minutes

split by controller will probably also kill the population for a PC player significantly, however I have the choice to plug in a controller to my PC and join the Xbox population and have full servers with reasonable pings and less than 5 minutes queue times.

controller split

I disagree. With the stated percentages (35%/65%) it would take 108% of xbox players to opt out for what you're saying to be true. Perhaps you can see why I question your statement.

108% makes no sense....
    i'm gonna have to pull a school teacher card and say
    "show your work"

• @fast-bike94 said in [Mega Thread] Crossplay announcement in the recent Dev Update video.:

@squaz05 so ruin the look of the game to compete with pc right lol they need this cross play opt out even just to try it and see how it is if it starts ruining the metrics then remove it lol simple

that's what potato PC players do to compete with prototype PC players... why can't you?

and i'm 100% sure that the sea of thieves population will increase if you add crossplay. A lot of Xbox players will return (because they can disable crossplay) and new ones will join (and dieable crossplay) the game will thrive and succeed and possibly be top game on the microsoft store. i can garantee it

however the PC players will leave, and the PC version of the game will be empty, effectively killing Sea of Thieves for PC. and THAT! is why i have a problem with opting out of crossplay. PC players NEED xbox players for the game to survive.

• @squaz05 like I said pc players using a game pad I'd see no.problem otherwise please the majority not the minority

• @lobane said in [Mega Thread] Crossplay announcement in the recent Dev Update video.:

@squaz05 said in [Mega Thread] Crossplay announcement in the recent Dev Update video.:

@lobane said in [Mega Thread] Crossplay announcement in the recent Dev Update video.:

@algaram said in [Mega Thread] Crossplay announcement in the recent Dev Update video.:

@fast-bike94 said in [Mega Thread] Crossplay announcement in the recent Dev Update video.:

I mean is this cross play opt put even going to happen it feels like they are hoping people forget about it and they just don't do it or don't do it till the game gets bigger, if that's what they are waiting for then the game is going to never grow new players are leaving already because they think there are hackers all over this game all it is is pc or mouse and keyboard turning around instantly to shoot you and better frames. I'm already sing decline in activity from this game I run into the same people over and over in arena people on my friends list as well that says to me the games population is very low

so how is splitting a low population in 2 separate halfs going to help --- think about it you are saying you keep seeing the same people now take half those players away (thanos) and see how long load times are and then see how many people leave because of said extended load times and see how many people leave because of low pop.

your post is contradicting in itself roflmao its funny you said I see a decline in pop and see the same people but when are they going to split the community in half hahahahhahahaha

opt out crossplay kills about 70% of the population for a PC player. and there is no way this PC player can do anything to improve this situation. so we are left on dead servers, the merged servers will have pings of 300+ and the arena queue times will be 30+ minutes

split by controller will probably also kill the population for a PC player significantly, however I have the choice to plug in a controller to my PC and join the Xbox population and have full servers with reasonable pings and less than 5 minutes queue times.

controller split

I disagree. With the stated percentages (35%/65%) it would take 108% of xbox players to opt out for what you're saying to be true. Perhaps you can see why I question your statement.

108% makes no sense....
    "show your work"

Sure. According to Rare, 65% of players are on Xbox. You stated that PC players would lose 70% of the population if the opt out occurs. For that 65% to suddenly become 70%, you need to multiply it by 1.0769 (rounding), or 108% (further rounded).

timezones bro...UK OC and NA don't play at the same time
    so 35% PC players (5% play from OC, 20% play from NA and 10% play from UK)
    we don't play together as Sleep/Work/Play are on rotation, not only that, if we were to play together the ping would be over 300 (unplayable btw)
    so technically my pool of PC players in North America is about 20% total.

do the math with those numbers

• @fast-bike94 said in [Mega Thread] Crossplay announcement in the recent Dev Update video.:

@squaz05 like I said pc players using a game pad I'd see no.problem otherwise please the majority not the minority

please the majority, not at the expense of the minority. Business 101

• @squaz05 I mean who is generating more revenue 70 percent or 30 percent cut your losses and grow the 70 percent otherwise you will conine to.lose the 70 percent and pc still won't grow that much due to it being a Microsoft store game more people use steam and other store's than ms store not to mention it's limited to widows 10 even further cuts the pc population potential.

@squaz05 I mean who is generating more revenue 70 percent or 30 percent cut your losses and grow the 70 percent otherwise you will conine to.lose the 70 percent and pc still won't grow that much due to it being a Microsoft store game more people use steam and other store's than ms store not to mention it's limited to widows 10 even further cuts the pc population potential.

so you are ok in the PC version to die?

@lobane said in [Mega Thread] Crossplay announcement in the recent Dev Update video.:

controller split

108% makes no sense....
    "show your work"

Sure. According to Rare, 65% of players are on Xbox. You stated that PC players would lose 70% of the population if the opt out occurs. For that 65% to suddenly become 70%, you need to multiply it by 1.0769 (rounding), or 108% (further rounded).

timezones bro...UK OC and NA don't play at the same time
    so 35% PC players (5% play from OC, 20% play from NA and 10% play from UK)
    we don't play together as Sleep/Work/Play are on rotation, not only that, if we were to play together the ping would be over 300 (unplayable btw)
    so technically my pool of PC players in North America is about 20% total.

do the math with those numbers

The math is the same. We're talking about the loss to the player population, yes? That's different than you choosing to discount players from another timezone.

i'm saying WHO AM I GOING TO PLAY WITH !!!!??!?!?!

• @squaz05 yes from.a business perspective it makes more sense to keep the majority than lose the minority I play both xbox and pc so I can easily just switch over to my xbox but again you keep missing my pint if a pc player has a controller let them in with the xbox users understand?

@squaz05 yes from.a business perspective it makes more sense to keep the majority than lose the minority I play both xbox and pc so I can easily just switch over to my xbox but again you keep missing my pint if a pc player has a controller let them in with the xbox users understand?

yes i understand, you are the rare xbox player that is ok with letting controller PC players play with xbox players. most don't want.

and yes from a business perspective sure. but Rare and MS will have a REALLY bad rep in the PC community... look at EPIC... they are not doing so great with the PC crowd... don't think MS (gaming division) would want to shut down all potential PC games)

• @squaz05 I mean again their revenue comes from xbox and one game won't effect their reputation lol also cross play is optional not sure what you don't inderstand about it.

@squaz05 I mean who is generating more revenue 70 percent or 30 percent cut your losses and grow the 70 percent otherwise you will conine to.lose the 70 percent and pc still won't grow that much due to it being a Microsoft store game more people use steam and other store's than ms store not to mention it's limited to widows 10 even further cuts the pc population potential.

so you are ok in the PC version to die?

You seem to be. Remember those comments about splitting on input, rather than platform? Yep, I do. That's a very clear indication that you don't care about the 'PC' version, you said yourself as long as you can plug in a controller and play with console you would be fine. Remember?

yes, ALL PC players will have the choice to still play the game if they want.

• @squaz05 said in [Mega Thread] Crossplay announcement in the recent Dev Update video.:

@xxizgreenxx said in [Mega Thread] Crossplay announcement in the recent Dev Update video.:

@admiral-greyjoy said in [Mega Thread] Crossplay announcement in the recent Dev Update video.:

@a-double-deagle we don’t care. I’ll be glad when I can toggle crossplay off & never see another pc player again. Didn’t buy a Xbox to play with them anyways. Keyboard Xbox players can still play with y’all. You can join discord or whatever other platform you like to assist you in finding other pc players.

why is an K/M xbox player any different than a PC K/M player?

All you have to do is look on some videos of sot when a pc player play and a xbox player play. You will se the difrent if not chek your eyes everything flote better sword tryst time for a pc player is like 0s
    And the aming on it aswell i cant turn that muth during a swordtrust. My fiat dont go as fast as your ferrari

Its all about the hardware...

your xbox has better performance than my PC...

Wow firs time lol

• @xxizgreenxx said in [Mega Thread] Crossplay announcement in the recent Dev Update video.:

@xxizgreenxx said in [Mega Thread] Crossplay announcement in the recent Dev Update video.:

@admiral-greyjoy said in [Mega Thread] Crossplay announcement in the recent Dev Update video.:

@a-double-deagle we don’t care. I’ll be glad when I can toggle crossplay off & never see another pc player again. Didn’t buy a Xbox to play with them anyways. Keyboard Xbox players can still play with y’all. You can join discord or whatever other platform you like to assist you in finding other pc players.

All you have to do is look on some videos of sot when a pc player play and a xbox player play. You will se the difrent if not chek your eyes everything flote better sword tryst time for a pc player is like 0s
    And the aming on it aswell i cant turn that muth during a swordtrust. My fiat dont go as fast as your ferrari

Wow firs time lol

you seem to think that all PC players have 2000$ computers

the average PC player has a 700-1000$ computer/laptop which is comparable to a Xbox1 X with SSD

• @squaz05

yes i understand, you are the rare xbox player that is ok with letting controller PC players play with xbox players. most don't want.

People don't want to play against keyboard and mouse users if a pc player used a controller no on would know the difference

@squaz05

People don't want to play against keyboard and mouse users if a pc player used a controller no on would know the difference

this megathread seems to think otherwise

• @squaz05 all they have to do is have an option to separate the input devices

@squaz05 all they have to do is have an option to separate the input devices

i'm ok with that, but this megathread xbox player are not

• @squaz05 I see all rare should do is try it out and see how it is and look at the feedback don't put it in insider you'll get better feedback from the actual population

@squaz05 yes from.a business perspective it makes more sense to keep the majority than lose the minority I play both xbox and pc so I can easily just switch over to my xbox but again you keep missing my pint if a pc player has a controller let them in with the xbox users understand?

so if pc players have to go buy a controller ------ then xbox players should just go buy a keyboard and mouse

im sorry but your logic is flawed and pointless
    you clearly have no idea what you are talking about

first you say lets split the community because I keep seeing the same low pop lobbies and the same players

then you say let the pc community die off

then you say let a pc player play cross play with a controller

I hope you see that anything you write from this point forward will be taken as a joke and you have no idea what's going on

• @squaz05 said in [Mega Thread] Crossplay announcement in the recent Dev Update video.:

Wow firs time lol

you seem to think that all PC players have 2000$ computers

the average PC player has a 700-1000$ computer/laptop which is comparable to a Xbox1 X with SSD

Wher on my xbox one x can i tweck the grafic card to get mor fps??

• @algaram not flawed because I have used mouse and keyboard on xbox and the frame rate is noticeable 30fps in not smoother enough to track someone in combat while using a mouse

@algaram not flawed because I have used mouse and keyboard on xbox and the frame rate is noticeable 30fps in not smoother enough to track someone in combat while using a mouse

ok so what about your statement let the pc pop die
    what about your statement let pc user in with xbox on controller
    your chasing your own tail in circles
    its comedic

its funny truly is

• @algaram said in [Mega Thread] Crossplay announcement in the recent Dev Update video.:

so if pc players have to go buy a controller ------ then xbox players should just go buy a keyboard and mouse

Xbox players ahould be keyboard and mouse again you will see my point pc is the minority you have to please the majority not minority of the player base if people want to quit and leave because it's dead so be it xbox will grow larger and it just won't be a pc game also the pc player can choose the controller their choice

• @brimst0ne said in [Mega Thread] Crossplay announcement in the recent Dev Update video.:

@natiredgals I get your point but don't you think people would respect the skill of a streamer a lot more if they were playing on an even playing field? What's the point in trying to showcase your skills against a handicapped opponent? Sure PC streamers get a lot of crazy kills etc. but most of those are on Xbox players who are at a disadvantage. I just don't see how people find that entertaining. It's like buying a ticket to a boxing match and rooting for the guy who's fighting a dude with one arm.

😀 well typed

• @gloombeard said in [Mega Thread] Crossplay announcement in the recent Dev Update video.:

Mateys, this is so disappointing! Now you won't be able to join an Xbox friendo who is turning in some loot and has room for you, or needs you to help them out of a situation because you'll be met by a board error message telling you that its an Xbox exclusive server they're on.

Now when we bring xboxing crewmates with us, it will feel like we actually are handicapping ourselves because the likelihood of encountering mixed crews is next to zero going forward - the xboxer will always be going up against non-xboxers.

Now we will be seeing PC players becoming much more elitist and only recruiting and inviting in other PC / Mouse and Keyboard players, rejecting xboxers or some new player or kid when they ask if they can join in.

There's going to be a lot more stigma, there's going to be far fewer interesting situations on PC and there's going to be a lot more empty servers than previously as well.

I am super disappointed in this decision by Rare, I've felt that they've been meek about a lot of aspects of this game, (Nerfing the Megalodon, nerfing the Devil's Roar, nerfing the Kraken) and given in to pushback, only to later hint or admit that they might've over-done it, but Crossplay was the one, single thing they were adamant about maintaining, about keeping people together. The game is designed from the ground up, balanced around controllers and the PC version nerfed to be more in line with what Xbox One players can see and do, repeatedly stating that the difference is small, ever tweaked and the two platforms will stay together as one single community. That was the vision, the philosophy and the promised future. They've betrayed that now. It's a whole can of worms that when opened up, you won't be able to close again.

Had crossplay been disabled for only the Arena, strictly for competitive reasons, I might've been able to more easily accept it, but as it is now, by disabling it in Adventure mode as well - not only are they splitting the player base into two with Arena/Adventure mode, but also splitting the community additionally by having Exclusive Xbox and PC with optional Xbox.

We used to share a playground, now a line has been drawn in the sand and every excuse for platform/console wars-esque hatred to bloom and fester is there, with one of the sides being able to step out and play in their own.

I am distraught, and currently cynically inclined to the future, despite the year initially having started out looking more promising than ever!

I really think this is a mistake and it's going to have a larger negative impact than people currently anticipate.

EDIT: There are already Xbox-owners contemplating about quitting the game, now that they'll be playing almost exclusively against PC players if they want to play with their friends. The future heralds more unfairness, rather than equality.
    EDIT 2: Check out @Erinom3 's post in the upper half of the 14th page.

alt text

Gloombeard, Captain of The Wailing Banshee and leader of a cross-platform/crossplay community.

I realy dont get your point... you say that you will be handiqapt if you play with xboxplayer....but still you dont want to make it fair for us xboxplayer???

Thats just wierd

• crossplay its so unfair.. im not a sour looser but i would be fun playing with pepole with the same hardware.( No twekers and no cheters )
    Every pc player isent a cheter but the have a advantitch... and everyone knows it.
    Pc player are just afriad of loosing ther advantitch thats why the opose the options to turn off crossplay... ther is a youtuber thats wery afriad of loosin and is saying he wount play sot anymore if crossplay options comes. Guess who. 😀😀😄

So i hope that hes fans dont post bad things about crossplay otional play

• @troubled-cells Xbox One X also supports Freesync which if you have a monitor or Television that supports it, you won't see tearing and notice the drops as much. Would down a whole chest of a thousand grogs to see a performance option targeting 60/1080p for the Xbox One X.

@squaz05 all they have to do is have an option to separate the input devices

i'm ok with that, but this megathread xbox player are not

Correct we're not. because its not purely an input issue. The KB+M support for Xbox is no equalizer and even if it were on par it would still leave all the rest of the advantages players playing on an open platform can have. Nope, There should be an Xbox pool and everyone else, because its Xbox players who are paying to play with each other on a closed platform and its only right to give them ability to opt out of playing with those on an open platform who arent paying to play.

The option should always have been there for Xbox.

• @natiredgals I thought this was all about "leveling the playing field" but now those who pay for an online service should have extra options? Yes, you chose to buy a console and you, presumably, knew beforehand that using the online services costs money. What does this circumstance have to do with crossplay?

• @natiredgals
    Thanks for generizing that we all hate cross play. Same with you @SquaZ05. Not all console players want optional cross play, and not all pc players want cross play.

Anyway, where in Xbox tos does it say you're paying to not play with pc players? If it does say that, I will either support optional cross play or want that changed, but if it doesn't, please stop using the I paid to only play with xboxers argument.

• @squaz05
    How could you possibly be ok with input based servers? The kbm servers you are suggesting would be even smaller in population than the proposed pc/xbkbm/xb opt-in servers. You talk about fears that Rare's current plan will hurt the pc pool, then suggest an even more damaging alternative! I believe that @Lobane has mentioned this a few times in his recent posts, but it hasn't been acknowledged yet...

Edit: Sorry, i realise you did acknowledge the split would hurt the pc/kbm population, but basically implied that you dont care coz u have a controller. Lol, and you expect Xbox controller users to care that the current plan might hurt pc...

Rares plan will have all pc players, all Xbox kbm players, and any Xbox players that dont opt out, all together in one pool. Even if 90% of Xbox controller users opt out, it will still be a pretty even split.

@Fast-Bike94
    No, separating based on input is not a valid solution. Not only is it more damaging to the pc kbm pool, but it does not address:
    Fps advantages
    Internal SSD speeds
    Cheats, hacks, mods, and overlays
    Just to name a few.
    Rare has had over a year to iron out problems, tweak combat, alter game mechanics and fix this. Im tired of waiting. The sooner the current plan is implemented, the better.

If it truly brings back old Xbox players and draws in new players, Rare can expect more cashflow for development and content. This will lead to even more players and cashflow. This will also benefit the pc players.

• @pomalotacusmk3 listen man im more on board for complete separation of the platforms I know pc is infinitely more hackable and people are starting to do it more in arena

Views
2692 out of 3601