Eliminate Toxicity from Tall Tales PLEASE (Suggestions)

• Please add some counter to toxic players during Tall Tales quests. I just finished killing Briggsy and getting the skull when a galleon came up, sank my one-man sloop at the island, killed me, took the skull, and left. THERE GOES 2 HOURS OF MY LIFE FOR ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. Tall Tales are one of the most fun things added to this game but they are ruined by slimy members of the community. Please add some counter to this, whether it be that players can't pick up Tall Tales loot that isn't theirs, or have the loot respawn where it was dropped if it's not sold by the same crew who earned it, or have Briggsy respawn when the quest isn't completed or the skull isn't sold by the right crew, or at least have the quest still get completed when the skull is sold. Personally, I think the best counter to toxicity like this would be to just have private servers. Private servers would be restrictive in that there would be no skeleton forts or skeleton ships, but it would make it a much more enjoyable experience for players simply doing quests and the storyline. Casual players don't enjoy wasting hours of their life just to get nothing in return and have to restart the quest over and over, it drives people away from the game.
    (I've bolded the things that I think are viable suggestions)

Views
  • @way-to-go-champ Man, should have checked those horizons...

• @way-to-go-champ you know solo slooping is the hardest play style? I've also done many of the tall tales solo and its about watching your boat and horizon.

if they were closer to roll up on you at the island, they were close enough for you to hide the skull and come back for it.

• Playing the game isn't toxic.

• @marsmayflower said in Eliminate Toxicity from Tall Tales PLEASE (Suggestions):

Playing the game isn't toxic.

That's ruining someone elses experience as your own fun though - that's pretty toxic. I've had it where they'll camp known tall tale spots (like the unmapped island) - purely to impede other peoples progress - why not just add a quest inventory, or a means of getting back lost items?

• This happened to me but during The Legendary Storyteller. Very annoying when it happens, and to top it all off, I saw them using the pistol and eye of reach.

• @sircaptainobvio why not just be a better player?

• @sircaptainobvio By being another ship on the server it's "toxic" that it causes me anxiety. Thusly I will have to sink your ship.
    By not allowing me the chance to sink your ship you're actively fueling my anxiety. I need to hear that bell in order to know you wont threaten me on the open seas.

• You can do a TT along with a regular voyage, so they may camp known TT locations in the hope that you have additional treasure on board. I would. After all, why go to them when they can come to you?

• this is quite entertaining, OP gets mad that another crew is playing the game of thievery. The world today....

• @way-to-go-champ it's a pirate's life also PIRATE GAME.

• With some of your quest items for tall tales being stored on your quest wheel I don't see why rare didn't make it so ALL quest items are stored that way? They have to know by now that there are trash people in this game that just want to ruin the fun/experience for other players and should start taking safeguards in their design to stop it. It's happened to me a few times and when I reach my limit I will just stop playing = rare won't get any of my money when the cash shop launches. Before anyone says it, I know the difference between griefing and playing the game as intended so don't @ me fools.

• @way-to-go-champ a crew came to the island, killed you and took treasure they can sell.

You didn't notice them coming towards the island, you therefore did not act accordingly and you were punished for it.

I don't sense any toxic behavior in your story to warrant any changes other than on your end. Solo captains need to always stay alert, as any other crew will have an advantage over you.

The game provides you with the tools to defend yourself and it is up to you to accomplish the goals you set out to do. Players are your biggest challenge, act accordingly.

• When you load up this game it says it's called the SEA OF THIEVES so one should expect there to be thieves in the sea and therefore they might try to steal from you, so yeah.

• @captain-coel not necessarily.
    He’s not talking about regular play style where a ship will roll up on you and attack you. There are players actually GUARDING the very first quest islands and preventing players from completing even the first tall tale. I’m fine with getting sunk every once in a while, but there’s serious griefing and camping which needs to be adressed.

• lol.....

• @thattapestry918 It's part of the game, it's like camping a skull fort, plus people need to fend for themselves instead of crying toxicity. This was a preventable failure. You can hide treasure if you failed to see the attacker when they were on the horizon and are now attacking your ship. Not everything needs to be shielded from thieving grow some skill learn, how to hide precious items from pursuers, and attack them if they need to buzz off the island, don't just be a wimpy sailor when someone is where you need to be.

• I'm sorry bud, rare can't hold your hand through everything, u need to stand up to those big mean meanies by yourself.

• @sircaptainobvio dijo en Eliminate Toxicity from Tall Tales PLEASE (Suggestions):

@marsmayflower said in Eliminate Toxicity from Tall Tales PLEASE (Suggestions):

That's ruining someone elses experience as your own fun though - that's pretty toxic. I've had it where they'll camp known tall tale spots (like the unmapped island) - purely to impede other peoples progress - why not just add a quest inventory, or a means of getting back lost items?

Yeah! It is like playing PUBG and being constantly killed. Man, I was just loting, why do you attack me?

PUBG is so toxic...

• The game needs a bounty system.

• sea of thieves.... best way to prevent this is get better and bigger crew. experience will teach you. its just part of the game really. if you bought the game you wanted a challenge and you got it tho it may have loss it is what happens sometimes. try a brig or galleon next time maybe they want to do the story mission or try with friends. not everyone is going to be nice saddly. but you do get those rare moments with people where you can get 8 people on a single sloop goofing off making jokes playing music and stuff good times. if worse comes to worse ask for refund if you can get different game. if enough players do that maybe something will change but i doubt it cause rare cant appease every little wish to people. they had a goal they achieve said goal and type of game they wanted if you dont want it then dont buy it. play farmville or idk black flags assassin creed 4 or something. its like buying food you wont like all the food but thats life.

• @way-to-go-champ said in Eliminate Toxicity from Tall Tales PLEASE (Suggestions):

players can't pick up Tall Tales loot that isn't theirs

One of the rules of SoT: Nothing is yours until you turn it in.

• @way-to-go-champ How would the galleon know you didn't have anything worth robbing? They realized that only afterwards. It's not the players who are doing something wrong here. The Tall Tales are designed so that you can be robbed of the objects. A player who robs you of them does nothing forbidden.

You have to criticize the game design at this point, not these players.

• @way-to-go-champ the way i see it is you have the hob on and you keep touching it and complaining when you get burnt but yet you keep going back and burning your self, like most people have suggested in the thread i think you need to change your play style a little to avoid these types of situations in the future..

play with a crew ? looking for posts can fill spots quite easily and you can tailor the post who find people with specific interests ie- tall tales voyages

get a little more craftier with hiding loot and checking on your ship every now and again, check the horizon before running deep into an island

other wise its going to be the same old thing for you i guess

• @sircaptainobvio said in Eliminate Toxicity from Tall Tales PLEASE (Suggestions):

@marsmayflower said in Eliminate Toxicity from Tall Tales PLEASE (Suggestions):

actually getting attacked is rather fun for some of us. :) If it wasn't for the thrill of losing your hard earn treasure this game would get boring and repetitive fast.

• @herpaderp18 said in Eliminate Toxicity from Tall Tales PLEASE (Suggestions):

This happened to me but during The Legendary Storyteller. Very annoying when it happens, and to top it all off, I saw them using the pistol and eye of reach.

That's because thanks to complainers on this forum they said the sword was too OP, so they nerfed it and now it's garbage. If it wasn't for sword surfing I would rock 2 guns as well.

• Casual players don't enjoy wasting hours of their life just to get nothing in return and have to restart the quest over and over, it drives people away from the game.

This is such a sore loser mentality, if you only enjoy a game when you "Win," its clear you don't really enjoy the game. I play this game primarily fighting other players, even when we sink, I still have fun. Even when my loot was stolen, I still had fun defending it. What I don't do is make demands of the developer to design the game in a way that I can only win and never lose. Your solutions includes a way that your stuff won't get stolen by figuratively removing all other opponents.

• The greifer problem is getting worse by the day. The interesting thing is you can usually complete all of the tales without seeing more than a couple greifers until you get to the last voyage. The outpost for the shores of gold is greifer central. I tried visiting the outpost to start the mission six times on different servers. Same situation every time. Call of Duty campers galore! I gave up after a while. There was no end to them.

I had nothing to steal in each case. I parked far away and waited to see if they just had business to complete. In one case I waited an hour for the same three ships to move on. (They never did) I exited after that thinking another session might be better. Two ships hung out there for almost a half hour. Both crews sailed over to attack and spawn camped me until I exited again. The next session had only one ship camping out. They attacked immediately and lost. I got to the island to start the quest and noticed yet another ship pulling up. They attacked immediately and held me at bay until the first two dolts showed up for revenge.

After all that I just tried different sessions and parked far away in the hopes that the ships parked there might just eventually leave. None ever did. It's fair to say that the greifers will be the only people to determine how everyone else plays the game from here on out.

Excellent new content with a bad execution.

• @nabberwar
    People who are only trying to complete the new quests aren't taking anything away from your pirate game. We have nothing of value on board. If you really want some ships to endlessly pirate I suggest cruising the eastern half of the map. Plenty of players have completed the tall tales and do go back to digging up valuable loot.

What is being complained about is that many are only griefing the players who are trying to enjoy the new content.

• @way-to-go-champ “there goes 2 hours of my life for absolutely nothing”

Untrue you had fun during the voyage didn’t you, it might not have ended the way you like, but hey thats life.

Anyway, since you had time to kill briggsy they weren’t camping so you would’ve had time to act on their presence on the sea, which was unnoticed by you....

Who knows maybe they where on another tall tale/voyage and had to be on the island you where “hogging” until you finished whatever you needed to or wanted to do there....

If that happans to me (ship at island that is my destination) i will eliminate the threat in order for me to go ahead with whatever i need to do at said island... this is not toxicity, losing your skull is a loss condition in order to really appreciate a win loss conditions have to be present or else the loss would be hollow.

Yes you could die from briggsy but you can keep coming back, so not a loss condition.

This is not toxicity, this is the game

• @winter-fritz44 who's to say they may have felt threatened by your presence ? maybe after having their quest disrupted for the gazillion time thought we will sink this "griefer" before he comes over starting trouble ?

hard to say they were camping with the mind of actually "trolling you" in one case you didn't see what the 3 ships intentions where before you exited the server.. may have got an alliance out of them who knows

i've had grief with a few quests but not shores of gold yet luckily enough

• @way-to-go-champ

Such is the life of playing solo in a multiplayer game... Solo slooping is the hard mode of this game. Checking horizons is key to avoid situations like this.

Also, a word of advice. If you're still on the island with your Briggsy Skull and your hear a galleon laying into your ship. Take your skull and hide it on the island.

They'll probably run off empty handed leaving you to return to the island to recover your skeleton lord prize.

Success on a solo sloop depends on how well you can out-think your opponents because they will out-number you every time.

• I'm not sure why people believe it's impossible to behave poorly in an Open World PvP game. Of course it's wrong to ruin someone's Tall Tales quest intentionally or camp quest islands. How is that even debatable? "The game has a feature which makes this possible" doesn't excuse it. Even "The game has a feature which encourages this behavior and rewards me for it" wouldn't excuse it.

There is a person on both ends of the computer. How you treat people matters, whether you have computers between you or not.

• @tony-clifton-jr
    Who hangs out for an hour at an outpost that just happens to be a quest starter? The crew that attacked right away were on their headsets loudly bragging about preventing others from enjoying the new content. When I used a pistol and a scoped rifle for CQB they screamed their heads off about "cheating". When I sailed away with their ship they screamed some more. My use of a bucket to sink their ship while they desperately swam over to save it was also "cheating". Somehow these strict "pirate game" people feel that greifing other players is awesome but it's unfair to get a helping of what they dish out. Why is that?

If they were really just trying to play a pirate game wouldn't they be cruising the seas while looking for loot they could sell?

• @winter-fritz44

People who are only trying to complete the new quests aren't taking anything away from your pirate game. We have nothing of value on board. If you really want some ships to endlessly pirate I suggest cruising the eastern half of the map. Plenty of players have completed the tall tales and do go back to digging up valuable loot.

What is being complained about is that many are only griefing the players who are trying to enjoy the new content.

Everything you just said has zero connection to what I just said. Your arguing things I never even said.

Views
22 out of 135