Mermaid Song and Smoke Plume QoL Improvement Suggestion!

• Ahoy Mates!
    The Anniversary Update is speedily approaching!
    And with Fishing being one of the key new features, I figure some sailors (Myself included) may just row around the sea in a Rowboat and just fish all day!
    alttext

Now, as most of use Rowboat enthusiasts know:
    Mermaids follow you all over the sea and pop up when your at a certain distance away from your Rowboat.
    alttext

Don't get me wrong, I'm very grateful to them for providing us with the ability to return to our Ships but when your just trying row around the sea, their songs and smoke plumes get kind of distracting.
    alttext
    alttext
    (They mess up screen shots too)

So what I'm proposing to combat this issue is:

Give us the option in the settings to turn down Mermaids' songs and disable their smoke plumes.

Their physical presence would remain to prevent camper exploits.
    Kind of like how other Pirates' Mermaids appear to you.

Anyways mates, I think this would be a welcome QoL Improvement!
    Let me know what you think of it!
    And do tell me of any idea you have for fixing the 'Mermaid Issue'.
    Until then see ya on the seas!
    alttext

Views
  • I think this would be a pretty good addition. I like it.

• @sgt-palooggoo nice idea mate

• I would rather see a feature in which a Mermaid is summonable. Too many times the bloody creature spawns either in a completely opposite direction, miles away or not at all. I would love to see an item (let's say a Cone Shell of some sorts) which allows us to summon a Mermaid in a radius close to the player. Of course this item should either have a cooldown or can only be used when the player is too far away from the Mermaid. The requirement for the distance between the player and ship could be the same.

P.S. this also helps with sneaking around and not letting the fish creature reveal your location.

• I like this suggestion. Might I add an option to change the flare colour too? I'm kind of tired of the blue/green ish smoke ^_^

• I think being in close proximity to a rowboat (in water) should make the mermaid despawn. This would make for a great stealth tactic.

Make the distance to spawn one half of what it is for your own ship but that way fishing pirates wouldn't have to worry at all about mermaids.

• @lt-swag-johnson said in Mermaid Song and Smoke Plume QoL Improvement Suggestion!:

I would rather see a feature in which a Mermaid is summonable. Too many times the bloody creature spawns either in a completely opposite direction, miles away or not at all. I would love to see an item (let's say a Cone Shell of some sorts) which allows us to summon a Mermaid in a radius close to the player. Of course this item should either have a cooldown or can only be used when the player is too far away from the Mermaid. The requirement for the distance between the player and ship could be the same.

P.S. this also helps with sneaking around and not letting the fish creature reveal your location.

I'd love to be able to summon Mermaids, though I decided not to propose that idea in this thread due to the controversial nature of the subject. (Spawn camping & all)

@m1sterpunch said in Mermaid Song and Smoke Plume QoL Improvement Suggestion!:

I think being in close proximity to a rowboat (in water) should make the mermaid despawn. This would make for a great stealth tactic.

Make the distance to spawn one half of what it is for your own ship but that way fishing pirates wouldn't have to worry at all about mermaids.

Hey, I would go for that, Great suggestion!

Right now when your on a rowboat they don't spawn.
    However when you go ashore they immediately pop up.
    Gets kind of annoying after awhile.

• I just with they were more discreet when you were trying to be sneaky.
    alt text

• @m1sterpunch aye, the phrase:
    "Take off Mermaid!"
    Is often heard on the sea of thieves.

• @hynieth said in Mermaid Song and Smoke Plume QoL Improvement Suggestion!:

I like this suggestion. Might I add an option to change the flare colour too? I'm kind of tired of the blue/green ish smoke ^_^

Hehehe, I like that idea mate!
    The green gets kinda old after awhile, however I did see some red smoke plumes in the IGN Arena gameplay showcase.
    Could that mean were getting new Mermaid smoke colors?

Views
2 out of 10