PC: We NEED true Fullscreen(Not Windowed Borderless)

• Hello,
    Since launched my friends on PC and I have struggled with this. I’ve always passed it off to being an Xbox PC App issue.
    I’m wondering if maybe that isn’t true and it’s a Sea of Thieves issue?
    Issue: Sea of Thieves currently does not have a true Fullscreen option for PC.
    Example: When playing in “Fullscreen”, if I open any menu in the game, including inventory barrels, my mouse appears. Great, working as intended. However, if I move my mouse to the top of the screen, the SoT app window appears, including the minimize/maximize/exit icons on the top right(yes in a hurry I have accidentally hit the “X” in the middle of PvP and closed my game and lost everything.)
    Also, if I move my mouse to the bottom of the screen, the bottom bar appears.
    Both of which take you temporarily “off of the game” forcing you to click back somewhere “into the game” to get “back in”.
    Is this making sense? Can you have someone go test this?

Finally, the Fullscreen issue has been in the game since launch, and every PC Sea of Thieves player is effected by it. I speak on behalf of the PC community for that one. It’s game breaking all too often.

Thank you so much for everything you guys are doing. You are hands down the best devs, and best support team I’ve yet to experience.
    Thank you for taking the time to read this, understand it, and for communicating this to the team that’s capable of fixing this. I appreciate you, and them, so much. I can’t wait to see this fixed.
    Here’s to hoping it’s not an Xbox App issue! If it is, maybe let them know to add an option to disable the top and bottom boarder to allow true Fullscreen where my mouse doesn’t constantly take me out of it?

THANK YOU!!!

Views
  • It’s extremely frustrating I agree! Rare please fix full screen! No windows!

• This might be due to the game being created as a Universal Windows Platform (UWP) app and won't be fixable until they add the option to go completely fullscreen to the framework.

• @d3adst1ck said in PC: We NEED true Fullscreen(Not Windowed Borderless):

This might be due to the game being created as a Universal Windows Platform (UWP) app and won't be fixable until they add the option to go completely fullscreen to the framework.

Hm, interesting.

Rare, can we get some clarification please? And what you plan to do to fix this? This can’t remain like this with a competitive mode like Arena coming up.

There must be a way to have a true Fullscreen on a UWP if that is the case.

• @salerio The least Rare could do is auto-center the mouse whenever we enter the Inventory or other mouse-focused screens. Currently, it remembers where your mouse was and makes it easier to have it creep toward the top or bottom - particularly when using the Inventory system. Auto-centering the mouse when those screens are opened would reduce how often this issue crops up.

• @entspeak said in PC: We NEED true Fullscreen(Not Windowed Borderless):

@salerio The least Rare could do is auto-center the mouse whenever we enter the Inventory or other mouse-focused screens. Currently, it remembers where your mouse was and makes it easier to have it creep toward the top or bottom - particularly when using the Inventory system. Auto-centering the mouse when those screens are opened would reduce how often this issue crops up.

This would help...it would be a start.

But it’s a bandaid, it’s not a fix.
    I could still accidentally reach the top or bottom of my screen, especially in an intense battle where tension is high and I’m moving very quickly.

We just need Fullscreen, that’s it.

• I got on to check and the only way I could get out of the game "accidentally" was by holding the cursor at the top or bottom of the screen or, if I flung the cursor to the top of bottom as the menu closed.

@entspeak It does auto center when opening the radial menu.

• @lonegoatknifer Yes, but not on other menus. So if you access a wheel, move to the top or bottom to select an item and then access inventory after that your mouse will appear at the top or bottom. Do this a few times and your mouse tends to creep towards the edges of the screen and can result in accidentally losing focus on the game or potentially closing it completely by accident.

• These scenarios are only helpful to explain what can happen...but they’re secondary, honestly.
    There’s no reason we shouldn’t have a true Fullscreen.
    Also, if Sea of Thieves were to ever add HDR support in the future, it would never work because an app that goes in and out of Fullscreen with HDR on will cause the monitor to exit/enter hdr every time, causing the screen to go black for a few seconds every single time you open an inventory/menu with a cursor.
    True Fullscreen would help countless problems.

• @d3adst1ck If you only use the inventory that is with the reputations, then I suggest you tap the radial menu every now and then to center your cursor. That seems like a very niche issue.

• @lonegoatknifer Its not a niche issue - its been long documented since the alpha days. It affects any menu that makes your cursor visible, including barrels, reputation/inventory, npc dialogs, etc...

Rare continues to ignore it.

• @lonegoatknifer said in PC: We NEED true Fullscreen(Not Windowed Borderless):

@d3adst1ck If you only use the inventory that is with the reputations, then I suggest you tap the radial menu every now and then to center your cursor. That seems like a very niche issue.

A temporary bandaid. We shouldn’t have to do that. This issue has been in-game since alpha. It needs to be fixed sooner than later with Arena coming especially.

• @d3adst1ck said in PC: We NEED true Fullscreen(Not Windowed Borderless):

@lonegoatknifer Its not a niche issue - its been long documents since the alpha days. It affects any menu that makes your cursor visible, including barrels, reputation/inventory, npc dialogs, etc...

Rare continues to ignore it.

Can’t tell you how many times I go to loot a supply barrel and I accidentally throw my entire inventory into the supply barrel first, then have to move my mouse back and forth to bring it up and then click everything back into my inventory.
    Why should I have to do that every time I play? So many issues with this game not being true Fullscreen.

• @salerio @D3ADST1CK What exactly are you doing that it's such a big issue? Do you never use the radial menu? If you can't tell, I've never had this issue so I don't know what exactly you are doing.

I'll give you there can be an issue with barrels if you are using the mouse.

• @lonegoatknifer If you are moving quickly in and out of barrels, it's easy to get your mouse moving to the top or bottom - particularly for those on shipwrecks or in the water.

In the heat of a moment, it can be quite easy.

And, I have many of the items in the radial menu hot-keyed, so I don't actually use the radial menu much. Hitting the radial "occasionally" is not a solution.

• @salerio SoT does support HDR. I'm using it right now.

• @entspeak I didn't say it was a good solution but it is a solution. If tapping a button every few barrels could help keep you from closing the game, it would be silly not to do it just because you don't like the way the game currently is. As I see it, you have a couple options: pray that the game gets proper full screen, quit, or adjust how you play slightly to ease your time with the game.

• @lonegoatknifer said in PC: We NEED true Fullscreen(Not Windowed Borderless):

@entspeak I didn't say it was a good solution but it is a solution. If tapping a button every few barrels could help keep you from closing the game, it would be silly not to do it just because you don't like the way the game currently is. As I see it, you have a couple options: pray that the game gets proper full screen, quit, or adjust how you play slightly to ease your time with the game.

It still doesn’t prevent it from happening though...a cursor in the middle isn’t going to always work. Just help...it’s just a fix, it’s a broken crutch if anything.

• @salerio Then I don't know what to tell you. The only thing that could get you out of the game at that point is by panicking and flinging your mouse to the edge of the screen. You could try turning your mouse sensitivity down a little.

• @salerio
    As a PC player I have NEVER, in the entire year I have played this game, encountered an issue with full screen. I haven’t even accidentally clicked out of the game. Are you positive the only option is windows borderless? I haven’t tested it myself so I don’t know but normally I would click out of the game quite frequently.

• @salerio said in PC: We NEED true Fullscreen(Not Windowed Borderless):

Hello,
    Since launched my friends on PC and I have struggled with this. I’ve always passed it off to being an Xbox PC App issue.
    I’m wondering if maybe that isn’t true and it’s a Sea of Thieves issue?
    Issue: Sea of Thieves currently does not have a true Fullscreen option for PC.
    Example: When playing in “Fullscreen”, if I open any menu in the game, including inventory barrels, my mouse appears. Great, working as intended. However, if I move my mouse to the top of the screen, the SoT app window appears, including the minimize/maximize/exit icons on the top right(yes in a hurry I have accidentally hit the “X” in the middle of PvP and closed my game and lost everything.)
    Also, if I move my mouse to the bottom of the screen, the bottom bar appears.
    Both of which take you temporarily “off of the game” forcing you to click back somewhere “into the game” to get “back in”.
    Is this making sense? Can you have someone go test this?

Finally, the Fullscreen issue has been in the game since launch, and every PC Sea of Thieves player is effected by it. I speak on behalf of the PC community for that one. It’s game breaking all too often.

Thank you so much for everything you guys are doing. You are hands down the best devs, and best support team I’ve yet to experience.
    Thank you for taking the time to read this, understand it, and for communicating this to the team that’s capable of fixing this. I appreciate you, and them, so much. I can’t wait to see this fixed.
    Here’s to hoping it’s not an Xbox App issue! If it is, maybe let them know to add an option to disable the top and bottom boarder to allow true Fullscreen where my mouse doesn’t constantly take me out of it?

THANK YOU!!!

I agree with this, I have once or twice minimized my game lol

• @lonegoatknifer Nope. In the heat of the moment, it can already be tricky with the amount & order of button presses needed to get health. And, based on the videos that have been released for the Anniversary Update, it looks like it may get worse. So, it's a thing, but a solution it isn't.

• @zormis It used to be worse, if you can believe it. It would happen during regular gameplay. They fixed this, but it came to the fore again with the new Inventory UI.

video link

• This is the issue in a nutshell. It's incredibly easy to have this happen.

This is the issue in a nutshell. It's incredibly easy to have this happen.

THIS VIDEO IS PERFECT. Exactly! It’s terrible. It’s a huge problem and it needs to be fixed with haste.

• Good news everyone! I opened a support ticket to Rare in regards to this.

They stated they are aware of this issue and are currently working on a fix. So a fix is coming! Hopefully the fix we need, and not a bandaid.

• @salerio Glad you did - we all should open a ticket so that they realize how many people it affects, but I can't tell you how many times they've said that when I've reported it. :)

• @entspeak As the embedded video contains inappropriate language, we have changed it to a link. Please be sure that if you post content that has any language in violation of the Forum Rules, that it's posted as an external link.

Embedded Media
    If you're sharing Sea of Thieves content that may include swearing, please do not embed the video into your post, add it as a link to view externally.

@salerio Glad you did - we all should open a ticket so that they realize how many people it affects, but I can't tell you how many times they've said that when I've reported it. :)

Everyone absolutely should submit a ticket, I agree.

• @triheadedmonkey Oops! Haha! Been a while since I recorded that - didn’t realize. Thanks!

• this is annoying for sure, ive often had my screen tab out during combat cause of the fake fullscreen. the worst moment was when i went to click back in noticing the bar, and mouse happened to be on the X and closed the application mid fight...

why does it even call it 'fullscreen' in the options if its not true fullscreen. A@R$E(&@(@!$248(&^@$&(@^$&@^$@^$%&^@$%&@%$

• I would also like to mention that borderless fullscreen mode gives you insane amounts of input lag, caused by the DWM on windows 10 that can't be disabled.

So, we're basically playing with vsync enabled, even though we choose to turn it off ingame.

Views
29 out of 44