Family playing

• Hi pirates!
    We are a four member family, with 2pc and 2xbox, we are playing together by using a gamepass subscription and three 14 days gamepass trial (one for each pirate).

When subscription expires, what is the best option to keep playing? I suppose we must buy four copies of the game itself, but is quite an expend, any alternatives!

(cheers with grog jar)

Views
  • @jadk said in Family playing:

Hi pirates!
    We are a four member family, with 2pc and 2xbox, we are playing together by using a gamepass subscription and three 14 days gamepass trial (one for each pirate).

When subscription expires, what is the best option to keep playing? I suppose we must buy four copies of the game itself, but is quite an expend, any alternatives!

(cheers with grog jar)

The game is currently 50% off ($29.99 USD), so your best bet would be to buy the copies now, as the sale is good for 7 mode days!

• great news! thanks

• @jadk Nope, you don't have to buy multiple copies. Microsoft allows you to share games with up to 10 family members using one copy of the game. Either keep using gamepass for one person (or one person buys the game digitally) and add the other family members to the family sharing section of their Microsoft Account. This way, one person owns/subscribes to a copy and everyone can play.

I use this to have multiple pirates with one copy of the game.

• @entspeak this doesnt work correctly between xbox and pc due to the way the both systems authenticate. The SoT twitter recentlye had a chat about that with someone

• @callmebackdraft They both authenticate using a Microsoft account. You can't log in to both an Xbox and a PC using the same account. So long as each person is playing with a different account, it will work. The OP stated that they all have Microsoft accounts. The person who buys/subscribes needs to simply add the others to their family share.

• @entspeak i know, but as stated family sharing doesnt work stabilly with sot when playing on both pc and xbox at the same time.

It might work but can fail at any point during gameplay, this is the twitter feed i was referring too:
    https://mobile.twitter.com/SeaOfThieves/status/1117045492519596032

• @callmebackdraft You'll have to show me the tweet, because that doesn't make any sense. It authenticates when you first start the game.

• @entspeak see edited post above

• Family of four playing the same game - That is neat!

• @callmebackdraft Yep. Seeing that now. That's lame. So, @JaDK... looks like buying 3 copies at least is the only option.

• @entspeak said in Family playing:

@jadk Nope, you don't have to buy multiple copies. Microsoft allows you to share games with up to 10 family members using one copy of the game. Either keep using gamepass for one person (or one person buys the game digitally) and add the other family members to the family sharing section of their Microsoft Account. This way, one person owns/subscribes to a copy and everyone can play.

I use this to have multiple pirates with one copy of the game.

Oh snap! I didn't know that! So cool!
    @jadk In that case you'll just need 1 copy

• my father and I play with only one copy at a time on the PC and the Xbox

• in fact we play with the same subscription of the game pass

• @temiiiixd It seems to be hit or miss.

• I've tried starting the game with family members with only one gamepass paid account (not trial) and when I enter the PC game, the user in the console gets kicked (you are already playing in another place.

At least is what happens with play anywhere, will try between two xboxes and share the results.

• @jadk Ahoy matey!

As this discussion is not Insider specific I have moved it to a more central location where more people can hopefully find it and offer advice :)

• @oneeyed-w1lliam @JaDK and everyone else, it can work that way but it stability cant be promised:
    https://mobile.twitter.com/SeaOfThieves/status/1117045492519596032

• This blog post got removed, I wonder if Microsoft is removing the "family share" entirely?
    Good job wayback machine:

• @jadk
    the user of the subscription does not have to be open on both platforms if what you say does happen

• @jadk Once you have entered once with the account that has the game, close it. should work, then log in with the proprietary account on the other device

• ok, deeply tested. 1 gamepass subscription = 1 session, platform independent, family members independent, public ip independent (we all are in the same subnet and external ip address). If you want more sessions, you pay more subscriptions (or trials) or buy more copies, that's all folks (at this time at least).

• @jadk Well, then... as someone said earlier... 50% off!! ;)

• I just tested the "just log into the store and download it as another account"

Created a local account on a computer that never had SoT.
    Logged in and opened store, it asks for microsoft account, put in mine that owns SoT.
    Downloaded SoT and logged out of store.

Launch SoT and it uses my user automatically.

So I'm not sure if they are changing the way it works, but it seems to be tied to the user who downloaded it (which it should).

Also without doing the blog entry on previous post, other users on the computer (in microsoft family) don't see the program installed for them, and visiting the store shows purchase, not install.

Multiple PC users, how are you getting around this?

Views
8 out of 24