Denying ladder denial with Blunderbuss (Possible new Trick)

• I havent tested this out properly, but I am throwing it out there for others who want in on it. I do not know how new it is either.

Climbing up a Ladder, it is possible to shoot at the person waiting for you on top.

You can do this halfway on the ladder looking up, or at the top of the ladder just about when you will climb fully onboard. To do this, always be aiming at where you think you will see someone, maybe it is also better to climb the ladder a bit slower in anticipation for someone.

And here are the button combinations in order to shoot while on ladder. You must be very quick with the inputs.

Controller

• B (Cancel Ladder)
    • Hold backwards
    • RT (Shoot)
    • X (Grab ladder)

Keyboard

• F (Cancel Ladder)
    • Hold backwards
    • M1 (Shoot)
    • F (Grab Ladder)

It is simple, but requires a bit of practice.
    You want to Cancel Ladder and Shoot aprox at the same time. I find it easier on a controller as I can just piano the B button and RT.

You hold Backwards because if you hold forward, you may clip your view into the ladder which wont prompt the ability to grab the ladder again.

So, you look up and gradually look forward as you are climbing up.
    When you see someone, you quickly Cancel to get off the ladder.
    Push yourself away from ladder
    Shoot the sucker (And knock him away with the blunderbuss)
    Grab the ladder again and hopefully climb up.

In a very quick succession.

This also works with pistol, but it has no knockback, but does 50 damage.
    The blunderbuss for the most part is wanted here for the knock back, but there could be a situation where you are close enough to even kill the defender.

Note 1: Ive been succesful enough with only hip fire blunderbuss, aiming down may take up too much time.

Note 2: Galleon ladders seem to shift the camera a bit up when you cancel out of the ladder. Aim a bit lower when it comes to galleons.

Views
  • This is really, really hard to pull off. And to work the person guarding the ladder has go be a real Noob. (but of course, Noobs don't guard their ladders very often anyways.) Or be so "shocked" that you actually shot them that they literally drop their game controller into their Cheerios! Otherwise they will beat you back to the top of the ladder.

Nobody has ever gotten up a ladder that I have been actively guarding. Not in the last half year at least.

The secret to guarding ladders is actually the pistol/sword combo, not the Blunderbuss like many think (Although the Blunderbuss/Pistol combo works too). Sword knocks them off and shots from the Pistol to harass them if they "dilly-dally" on the ladder. Another reason I prefer the Sword to Blunderbuss is this; if you ship is on the move you don't want to kill the boarder, just knock him off into the water. That usually puts him out of action for longer than a trip to the Ferry. Also a Pistol can "blow" their powder keg at a safe enough distance to stay alive. Yes, all those holes will make your Bilge Rat angry.

The secret success to boarding is two players working in unison with "team chat".

Not saying your technique can't be done. And you don't always have two players when boarding. This might be a nice technique to work on before Arena comes out and boarding becomes a far more regular occurrence? Thnx for this post.

• @viperishemu2992 It really is not that hard. It takes practice, but is not hard. Its a chance to knock someone away from attempting to stop you. And this is not about how to stop people from boarding your ship.

Still, I think blundy is better ladder defense because it is a lot quicker to use with rather than staying on ladder defense for too long. You just dont want your attention wasted for too long or have people on your ship.

This new trick is simply just an extra fighting chance of getting on board when they try to defend. What usually happens is they either wait for you with their own blunderbuss for the 1-shot kill or sword you. Both of those situations you can fight and get yourself "hopefully" on the ship with if you have a blunderbuss ready.

• @crafek I still like the pistol for picking people off (sometimes before they even reach the ladder) and the sword for knocking them off the ladder. But I guess it's a matter of personal preference?

I'm definitely going to give your technique a go and see how I get on with it!

• This is sneaky. I like it. I'll try it tonight. Thanks man.

• @crafek said in Denying ladder denial with Blunderbuss (Possible new Trick):

I havent tested this out properly, but I am throwing it out there for others who want in on it. I do not know how new it is either.

Climbing up a Ladder, it is possible to shoot at the person waiting for you on top.

You can do this halfway on the ladder looking up, or at the top of the ladder just about when you will climb fully onboard. To do this, always be aiming at where you think you will see someone, maybe it is also better to climb the ladder a bit slower in anticipation for someone.

And here are the button combinations in order to shoot while on ladder. You must be very quick with the inputs.

Controller

• B (Cancel Ladder)
    • Hold backwards
    • RT (Shoot)
    • X (Grab ladder)

Keyboard

• F (Cancel Ladder)
    • Hold backwards
    • M1 (Shoot)
    • F (Grab Ladder)

It is simple, but requires a bit of practice.
    You want to Cancel Ladder and Shoot aprox at the same time. I find it easier on a controller as I can just piano the B button and RT.

You hold Backwards because if you hold forward, you may clip your view into the ladder which wont prompt the ability to grab the ladder again.

So, you look up and gradually look forward as you are climbing up.
    When you see someone, you quickly Cancel to get off the ladder.
    Push yourself away from ladder
    Shoot the sucker (And knock him away with the blunderbuss)
    Grab the ladder again and hopefully climb up.

In a very quick succession.

This also works with pistol, but it has no knockback, but does 50 damage.
    The blunderbuss for the most part is wanted here for the knock back, but there could be a situation where you are close enough to even kill the defender.

Note 1: Ive been succesful enough with only hip fire blunderbuss, aiming down may take up too much time.

Note 2: Galleon ladders seem to shift the camera a bit up when you cancel out of the ladder. Aim a bit lower when it comes to galleons.

Isn't new been happening likely from day one, I found this out the hard way trying to fight off a ship boarder who killed the whole crew over and over and we couldn't keep him off the ship. We would shoot and hit him he would bounce off shoot us and grab the ladder to board.

Views
2 out of 6