Buying Rep Lvls

• So while on my own personal quest to obtain Pirate Legend before the cut off to get all the fancy rewards for the 1 year anniversary, I learned how seemingly unfair it is to be able to purchase rep levels. I like the idea of being able to use my dubs to buy them, but I think it's slightly unfair that it's a flat 30 dubs regardless of what level you're going from/to but yet the amount of XP (rep) I would have to grind scales the higher I go.

Might I suggest adjusting this so that it's a fair balance between doing the actual grind vs just buying the rep? I have to turn in far more items to go from 45 to 46 than going from 5 to 6 in a rep, but yet it's 30 dubs either way.

Just seems slightly unbalanced. shrugs

Views
  • the entire point of being able to buy them was to lessen the grind. They used to just give a set amount of experience but it wasn't worth the 30 dubs, and its currently not worth spending 30 dubs on a level if you're not like in the 40's. So no, you don't get to suggest they edit it again to no longer make it worth buying levels late game.

• They want people to do a bit of grinding, its not supposed to be worth it to just buy levels when you haven't put in the play time in the first place. If the lower levels were priced less accordingly then why would anyone grind to PL if they could just buy their way to the top?

• @twiztdfreak personally dont agree with buying levels, even if its with doubloons you worked for.

This weekend is the time for you play if you have time, I think it's X2 on xp and money.

• @sailorkek agreed!!

• @tubzy121 said in Buying Rep Lvls:

So no, you don't get to suggest they edit it again to no longer make it worth buying levels late game.

@blackelite-id16 said in Buying Rep Lvls:

If the lower levels were priced less accordingly then why would anyone grind to PL if they could just buy their way to the top?

You both have opposite view points on what's even being mentioned here. It doesn't sound like @TwiztdFreak is proposing they strictly raise or lower the cost. It was only said that it doesn't seem balanced across the board, which I agree with. I think most people find it unbalanced whether they agree with the option being in the game or not.

I agree with the sentiment of the post. It's been said plenty of times, but more feedback doesn't hurt, especially if new pirate legends are feeling this way. I'm with @SailorKek and @XZODEAK that purchasing levels shouldn't even be an option, but if it is going to remain an option then it should at least scale depending on what levels you're buying. I have no specific numbers to suggest though as I would have to see precise behind the scene numbers to even feel comfortable making one. Besides, the structure of future events and exactly how those doubloons will be distributed in what quantity would be the real deciding factor.

I don't worry so much about it being some easy way to pirate legend. Between allied ships sharing rep, additional high value items such as bone dust and the mega barrel being added to forts, and events like Gold and Glory providing double rep the path to pirate legend has already been heavily skewed. Which I think is a good thing. The journey is a lot more diverse than it use to be and in another year it's going to be entirely different again.

As it stands purchasing levels with doubloons stands out to me as more of a trap to newcomers who don't yet realize how valuable those will be in their later levels. With that in mind and assuming the option to buy levels stays in the long run, I think a dynamic cost would be worth considering.

• @keyonta It should just go up by 5 doubloons each time you buy a level.

• this doesnt even affect you though, if you want to grind forts to all 50s be my guest, but i think its good to incentivize doing fresh content, it becomes more and more worth doing the further you are in the game, that makes sense

• @twiztdfreak so be smart and start buying levels when you get to lvl 45 instead of buying lvls before then and realising oh poo leveling scales in difficulty like every game does and like i should have been able to tell since i got to lvl 10

• its not unfair at all, its unfair for lazy people maybe. but it works the same for everyone and doesnt give an advantage to anyone other than maybe smart people who arent silly?

• @twiztdfreak said in Buying Rep Lvls:

So while on my own personal quest to obtain Pirate Legend before the cut off to get all the fancy rewards for the 1 year anniversary, I learned how seemingly unfair it is to be able to purchase rep levels.

You can do it!!

I like the idea of being able to use my dubs to buy them, but I think it's slightly unfair that it's a flat 30 dubs regardless of what level you're going from/to but yet the amount of XP (rep) I would have to grind scales the higher I go.

Well there are easy commendations that give doubloons and hard once I think its more of a decision of worth then fairness.

Might I suggest adjusting this so that it's a fair balance between doing the actual grind vs just buying the rep? I have to turn in far more items to go from 45 to 46 than going from 5 to 6 in a rep, but yet it's 30 dubs either way.

I had this discussion once with a new pirate, but ask yourself this. Is it more worth it to buy 1 lvl for 30 dubs going form 5/6 or 45/46? I mean its a Choice you don't have to do it.

Just seems slightly unbalanced. shrugs

I know what you mean for it seems unbalanced but its more the question if you think its worth it to use them now or later lvl. The thing is also if for example if you lower the costs of the "Lvl purchase item" for lower lvl its way easier for people to spend their dubs on it when every lvl is treated as equal cost.

• The doubloons are a grind in their own sense, and I think buying rep is fine where it’s at. Just another way of leveling up to PL.

• They used to be based on a Rep number in stead of a whole level and it just felt underwhelming to see your rep go up by a centimeter after dumping 30 dubloons in them (mind you this was after skeleton thrones so we didn't have much excess dubloons yet).

As is it's fine. I don't see why people find it unfair. If people want to spend their dubloons on the later levels to be pirate legend they can and honestly it doesn't hurt anyone.

• @twiztdfreak

I personally only bought a total of 6 or 7 levels, because I bought all of the limited cosmetics! This is the way I look at it:

I don't think doubloons are a shortcut to Pirate Legend. They make it so you can do something other than turn in hundreds of chests/skulls/golden animals to become a legend. You invest time and effort into earning doubloons that you use to buy levels. Some of those Bilge Rat commendations are tough to get!

Once you earn doubloons, you have to make the choice as to whether you want to spend them on the limited cosmetics or put them towards something else.

I don't think there's anything wrong with a Pirate Legend who invested their time and effort into other tasks to become a legend, especially since they passed up some sweet cosmetics!

At the end of the day, we all agree that becoming a Pirate Legend should be a daunting challenge. But I also think that the only way they can justify creating more content and cosmetics for legends is if they have a good amount of legends to give these things to! Doubloons make the grind a bit less monotonous.

• Well you still kind of have to grind to get dubloons. Just a different kind of grind

• The grind you have to do to get the doubloons probably equates to the grind you have to do to get your levels up. I'm not gonna lie I bought out my last 5 merchant ranks lol but I do agree that maybe buying ranks before let's say rank 15 should be a little cheaper haha then again becoming a pirate legend is supposed to be a challenge and a fulfilling one at that. I felt amazing the moment I got it. Been a while since I've got that feeling of accomplishment from a video game. Just keep your head up and keep grinding you'll get there!

Views
12 out of 16