What’s the point of Sea of Thieves?

• Sea of Thieves is a great game with a great concept. I bought the game expecting to have lots of fun with friends and etc.

I did, but it didn’t last long. It’s fun to do voyages, skelleton islands and etc, but not after you’ve done it time over time again.

I have no problem with grinding, and I would love to grind this game, but it’s one problem... there is no point.

Everytime you do a voyage you get gold, and gold can you use on cosmetics. That’s cool and all, but it dosen’t quite give the voyages a purpose. I’m getting bored of doing the same voyages over and over again, just to get to buy a skin.

This is an awesome game, but I really think you should add something that gives a player an advantage. I know Rare has stated that they will never add something that gives a player an advantage, but then what’s the point of the game?

I have some sugestions, for example;

• new canons (heavy canons that shoot harder, light canons that shoot weaker)

• new weapons (knifes, heavy swords, light swords, rifles, etc.)

• new ship parts (reinforced hulls, big sails, small sails, etc.)

• new anchors (automatic anchors, heave ancors, small anchors)

This game dosen’t have to be buy to win even though you improve the game. You could add new currencys like crafting materials or silver for example.

This game is such a fantastic game, and I would hate seing another game go down the drain because of poor updates and decision making by devs. No offense, but it’s true. Repeating voyages and events won’t cut it.

Please take this suggestion into consideration! Remember, this is only MY OPINION, and I respect others opinions aswell.

Edit: Having something else to spend your coins on does not have to include vertical progression.

Views
  • @captain-uncle Ahoy there!

Rare spent the majority of 2018 building a strong foundation upon which they can add more meaningful updates. They worked on adding new threats to the seas (megs and skeleton ships), more treasures for us to collect (ashen and fort loot), new locations to explore (The Devils Roar), and different ways to engage ships (cursed cannonballs). So far 2019 has been slow, there's no doubt that people expected the new year to start off with a bigger bang.

However, there's a reason for that! Rare has shifted from their 2018 DLC model to a new model for their next update. In 2018 1 of 4 teams would work on a DLC for X amount of months as well as the Bilge Rat Adventures surrounding that DLC. Once it launched they'd move to the back of the queue and start working on a new DLC that wouldn't be released for another 6 months or so. Rare announced on February 5th that'd be taking all of their current work in progress DLC's and would be combining them into one Mega Update.

We know that the update will include:

1. The Arena - a new PvP focused game mode where cosmetics from Adventure mode and the Arena mode transfer back and forth
    2. Fall Sails (Tall Tales) - an overhauled questing system. This system was originally supposed to launch in place of Shrouded Spoils but when the team seen the potential for the DLC they pushed it back to expand upon it further
    3. Pets - pets that we can interact with in game. This was supposed to be one of the first DLC's after launch but was pushed back in order to help build a better foundation for the game
    4. Tons more - Rare has made it sound that we haven't heard all the details regarding this update just yet. Rare is announcing more things to come on March 20th (the 1st year anniversary of SoT) via a game trailer for the Mega Update along with its release date.

2019 is going to be a HUGE year for Sea of Thieves. Joe said that after the Mega Update launches they have some exciting plans to make the events in between DLC's (presumably the Bilge Rat Adventures) more interesting based on community feedback. There's a ton to be excited for! Keep your eyes peeled for the 20th!

• To keep with the level play field concept their inclusion of cosmetics could have been better. Now as you rank in the trade companies you unlock the cosmetics to buy. However I feel that certain in game achievements and milestones should unlock specific cosmetics. So you feel a sense of growth to your pirate and ship.

A good example you have to cartographe devils roar to buy the cosmetics. Now if they could take this idea further. Imagine a clothing set that looks burned and charred. With smoke billowing from the jacket and hat. They only way to get it is to be killed by volcano rocks x amount of times. To get the hat die by a rock while holding the wheel.

These kinds of things are what would make playing and adventuring fun. Wearing your accomplishments that you earn. Building your character through visual upgrades instead of stats.

• @Captain-Uncle I feel you, when I first time logged into the game I was amazed, especially when I saw water, I was thinking there is so much stuff to do in the game and what potential it has in the future. I remember grinding towards Pirate Legend in first days, it was fun for first couple days, after half way towards Pirate Legend it got a little bit boring, because you're doing the same thing over and over, tho I was still very excited grinding towards Pirate Legend, because at that point it was cool to be one, but now biggest problem I think is what you said "what's the point?". Pirate Legend status means nothing right now, it's very easy to achieve, nothing special when you achieve it, nothing. So, I absolutely understand you.

Amount of content this game can have is insane, sooooo much stuff to add, but 2018 was pretty slow in terms of how much content they added, and this is why my hopes are low even for 2019, it's been 3 moths already and 4th one is on the way, and we didn't get any new cool content. Yes, they will have Mega update at some point, but when? In 4-5 months? After that it's almost half a year is gone. Some people will say "oh look, they added meg, ships and bla bla bla" but is that enough? Right now what we have confirmed for future updates is only arena and pets, but in my opinions that's not new content) Pets, coooool... Just a toy that will be fun for 2 days and after it's just going to be a regular pet. Also, arena was expected "early" 2019, but now it's delayed, and this is one more thing that makes for me to believe that 2019 will be as slow as 2018. I understand that Rare's studio is not that big, and that's why updates are coming slow, but then let's not expect from them so much stuff. Don't take it wrong, I do like what Rare is doing and their game, but it's just going very slow.

• @captain-uncle being on a server collecting cursed cannonballs and stocking your ship gives an advantage.
    I also Rare has already broken their word in the past many of times (i.e. ships are only players).

I don't see why buying advantages for a session won't be added. It gives us a reason to spend our gold.

• @d-jaguar Even though stocking your ship with cursed canonballs give’s you an advantage, I would still like a way to spend the gold you get. Not on pets and new skins.

• @je0rgie-p0rgie Thanks for the reply!

Even though they’re doing one «Mega» update, I don’t think it will help the game long term. Pets will be cool a couple of days, and then there’s skins, and new skeleton bosses (which will be cool a couple of times) and then what? I still have nothing to spend my gold on. The whole point of gold is to buy equipment.

The updates Rare is doing currently just dosen’t cut it for me.

• @d-jaguar It really doesn't need to be a straight advantage. Just side-grades and stuff that offers alternative play-styles would be great. That's something that the people who are in the "we shouldn't be able to buy anything other than cosmetics" crowd don't understand(also cosmetics can give advantages too). The battlefield series has done this forever and it works great. You unlock new weapons and attachments that mainly offer alternative options rather than upgrades to the base gear. It's so much fun to try out different guns and make them work, or even the same guns with alternate attachments. That same philosophy would be really good for SoT.

• @captain-uncle horizontal progression system is part of the unique experience.

The game is about fun and not progression. Set out play as you want and enjoy.

• @cotu42 Well for me, that’s not enough.

• @betsill I agree. Imagine what people could do if they had boat attatchments and other guns.

• @captain-uncle

its and adventure game were stories are made. Better put its a sandbox toolbox game.

Here are the tools and go figure out how to use them to your advantage or playstyle. The game is solely build around this if u ask me. Its to create stories. If u need storyline or some progression than this game is not the correct fit for u...

O yeah the point u asked: The point is to be a pirate for the day, sail your ship and make a story. Main point of SoT = Being a pirate!

• @weakdexx Someones been drinking the Rare PR koolaid lol This game isn't a sandbox and has very few tools compared to most games of similar style.

• @betsill

Aye cap'n i will admit that i love the Rare PR Koolaid :D
    I just enjoy the game to the fullest! Specially being a bit drunk on the koolaid :D.

About being a sandbox we sea that diffrent but thats cool.
    About the tools being enough or not thats personal preference.
    To me there is enough :D

• @weakdexx Which tools do I have? And it which world is this a sandbox?

• @captain-uncle

To me a sandbox game is a game where u can free-roam and do as u like. Or maybe i should call it open-world game.

Tools:
    Ship,
    Sails
    Wind
    Bombs
    Cannonballs
    Cursedcannonballs

All sorts of "tools' to use to make your story or your game play.

Even a skelly ship is a tool for me. As i tend to lure one in to take out enemies for example. Everything in this game can be used as u want.

Maybe my termonology aint right (not native english speaker)

• @captain-uncle What is the benefit of light cannons? And what do you mean by automatic anchors?

• @captain-uncle said in What’s the point of Sea of Thieves?:

@weakdexx Which tools do I have? And it which world is this a sandbox?

The most poignant example I can provide about how the game provides us with tools is; Back during the Cursed Sails event, some players found out that tossing a Chest of Sorrows on the skeleton ships was a pretty fun tactic, since the skeletons don't know how to bail water, crews just had to wait until the chest sank 'em.

Sea of Thieves is in a sense, the opposite of games like Destiny and Anthem. It's not about grinding for the shiniest, rarest weapons to make you better. It's all about people and the adventures they can make together.

It's a lot more open ended, and dependent on the players to find the magic in the sandbox than most games, especially of this era. It's absolutely not for everyone, and that's fine, but it's what SoT is.

• What is the point of the game?
    What is the point of ANY game... To have fun.
    If you do not enjoy the game, find one you do.

• @captain-uncle then there more games out there that offer huge grinds and time investment requirements to obtain the vertical progression they offer that suit your needs.

This game is about the ability to play and do everything you want from day one, with anyone on your crew.

The fact that a legend can play together with a brand new pirate without there being an ingame difference.

There no time requirements to play together or at the highest end other than your own abilities.

• I feel that it's a simple shift in perspective.
    See most people see a grind as something to reach a goal. They buy games expecting to grind and reach certain levels only to grind some more and reach higher levels or get better great to do more content etc.

Sea of Thieves does away with that entirely, it gives you all the tools upfront, throws you into the world and gives a single goal: Have fun! (and become Pirate Legend)

This shift in gameplay is alien to a lot of people growing up with skinnerbox games where every action is rewarded with a power increase.

I see it like this: In stead of having to grind for hours to do the fun stuff we get to do that from the word go, we get to sail huge ships or smaller ones depending on choice, we get to fight others, go on epic adventures and gather huge ammounts of loot all without grinding.
    This game is completely different with a different mindset, if you go in thinking this to be a grindfest or a skinner box experience you'll be dissapointed.
    If you go in just wanting to have some fun (especially with friends) and do fun stuff you're going to have a great time.

• @tundra-793 said in What’s the point of Sea of Thieves?:

It's not about grinding for the shiniest, rarest weapons to make you better. It's all about people and the adventures they can make together.

You hit the 🎯 with this remark right here...

• Whats the point in anygame? Have fun in youre free time and for me plenty of things to be doing to have fun in this game. Much more than loading. Diving into a map. Loooting dieing and then doing it again(battle royals)

• @crimsonraziel

Light canons: Your boat can go faster (becuase the light canons is lighter)

Automatic anchors: You don’t have to manually pull the anchor up.

• @aglasgowthing I just don’t think it’s fun doing voyages and then get no reward for it.

• @li-jratt-li I just think the game could be so more fun if they added things you could spend money on.

• @cotu42 Why do voyages and get no reward?

• "Grind". Here's the problem right here.

Stop grinding. This isn't that kind of game. "I did a thing! What do I get?" Why is this the mentality? Did you have a good time doing the thing? Yes? What else are you looking for?

Just relax. Have fun. Appreciate the sunset. Sink a ship. Smell a flower.

• @captain-uncle said in What’s the point of Sea of Thieves?:

@cotu42 Why do voyages and get no reward?

What do you mean no reward?

We get treasure for which we get gold with which we can buy cosmetics.

We collect numbers for which we achieve commendations, for which we unlock titles or access to cosmetics.

We get reputation for the factions, which again provide us access to new cosmetics.

I count three types of rewards we get from playing voyages.

We get a fourth reward for doing bildge rat adventures called doubloons for which we can buy special voyages, limited cosmetics, gold or levels in the factions.

Now, you want to be more powerful than others just by spending time in the game and that is exactly not the case with a horizontal progression system. It is not common to find in a game as Sea of Thieves and is why it shouldn't ever change.

All pirates new and old start the session with the exact same thing, each and every time.

Want a time investment to make bigger numbers appear in combat or less damage received and where advantages lie in time investment other than personal experience and skill. There tons of games that provide that and might just mean SoT is not for you. No need to change the one game that doesn't fit that model, but choose for the refreshing take of equality.

• @captain-uncle sagte in What’s the point of Sea of Thieves?:

Automatic anchors: You don’t have to manually pull the anchor up.

This sounds like an unfair advantage in combat.

• @crimsonraziel "Unfair"... If you worked for it, did the voyages, got the gold and bought the anchor, then no. It's not.

• @cotu42 Why does everything have to be based on cosmetics?

• @badrobott I just don't think that will cut it long term.

• @captain-uncle sagte in What’s the point of Sea of Thieves?:

@crimsonraziel "Unfair"... If you worked for it, did the voyages, got the gold and bought the anchor, then no. It's not.

It seems you've missed a base premise of the game.

• @crimsonraziel No, I haven't. I'm just suggesting a change.

Views
30 out of 111