[Mega Thread] The Hungering Deep

• alt text

The Hungering Deep is here, the first of Sea of Thieves' free content updates! A range of permanent new game features are rising from the depths, introduced by a special time-limited campaign.

From May 29th, follow the trail of riddles and rumours to piece together what happened to 'Merry' Merrick, the proud owner of a pair of matching peg legs. Along the way, discover new features like the drum, ship's flags, speaking trumpet (for shouting at other pirates) and selectable tattoos and scars (for looking good while shouting at other pirates)!

Rumours of something old, vast and hungry are surfacing throughout the Sea of Thieves and we want to hear your feedback in this Mega Thread!

Looking For Crew?

We've got a bunch of places you can visit to seek out like-minded pirates, so sail on over to these official Sea of Thieves hangouts:

As you participate in this thread, keep to the Pirate Code and the Forum Rules!

Publicaciones
    Visitas
  • The speaking trumpet is a welcome addition, even my crewmates can hear me now! :D

• WOOOOOOO

• Been playing for 10 minutes after the update. Got to the bard to find a galleon at his island. Not a big deal. People excited to play i didn't think I'd be the only person there. I play music and try to be generally friendly out in the open. I get to the bard open up the dialouge box, and from behind me, hear "F**k you!" And I fall over dead.

Awesome.

I respawn to see the galleon prepped to broadside me and a dude swimming to my boat. "We're going to take everything you have and if you try to resist we'll sink you."

Awesome!

I go into the menu scuttle my ship, shoot the swimmer to death, and blow up their ship with a powder keg i grabbed to fight the beast. Now I'm hiding on the island with out a boat.

If you tout a brand new LIMITED TIME PVE event, don't designed it in a way where it can become completely inaccessible through player intervention. It is such a glaring flaw that everyone has to go to the same place, so that a handful of players can immediately ruin the expansion for EVERYBODY by camping it out systematically. Keep this in mind for future expansions please.

• @thyroidalwall56

I won't get to play HD until I get home tonight but this experience is helpful in knowing what to expect for this campaign.

So basically, Rare gives us a cool campaign to add to the experience for the PvEs but pretty much gives those who only PVP and don't care about doing anything other than sinking others for the sheer joy of sinking others, the exact locations to camp out to ambush the PvE'rs? Does that about sum it up for you?

• @kiethblacklion oh yeah. That's this quest in a nutshell.
    Bring friends.
    I didn't. T'was a mistake.

• @thyroidalwall56 That sounds like a major design oversight. I get that Rare will ban anyone trolling, but by that point, someone's quest will already have been ruined. That's unacceptable for a timed event.

I know that this game is about being a pirate and doing whatever you want, and I don't think the vanilla game should be changed, but when the event is timed, I think it'd be beneficial to everyone involved if the ability to fight other crews and board their ships was taken away as long as a crew is currently doing the event quest. This sounds like the one instance where this kind of player restriction is more or less necessary.

• I think it would nice, if you could remove the scars that your caracter starts with.

• @harveyosull yo I'd buy it from you bro 😂 but not for £50 cos I'm broke as [mod edited]

• @erinom3 Yeah but it would work if people in this game actually communicated

• More Information!

Looking For Crew?

We've got a bunch of places you can visit to seek out like-minded pirates, so sail on over to these official Sea of Thieves hangouts:

• As this thread is for feedback specifically about the Hungering Deep, posts which are not about this topic will be deleted in order to keep the topic, on topic!

• @thyroidalwall56 I was expecting what happened to you but was pleasantly surprised to be able to approach the island while a gally and sloop were already parked. We parked a little away just in case but by the time we reached Merrick both ships were sailing off. We saw them leaving the next point as we approached and no one was firing.

Honestly it was the most calm we've ever had in the game. I knew it wouldn't last, but we were glad we got to experience it! I hope your travels improve and that enough players want to do the "quest" that if need be we can team up against those who just want to harass.

• @thyroidalwall56
    ugh I was afraid of this. It hit me yesterday that this would be a VERY possible outcome of things. I was already concerned if my playstyle and real life obligations would get in the way of enjoying the limited time content and then add this to the mix...fingers crossed I guess.

• @john-hatter said in [Mega Thread] The Hungering Deep:

@thyroidalwall56
    ugh I was afraid of this. It hit me yesterday that this would be a VERY possible outcome of things. I was already concerned if my playstyle and real life obligations would get in the way of enjoying the limited time content and then add this to the mix...fingers crossed I guess.

This event is available for two weeks, so you hopefully have plenty of time to explore The Hungering Deep!

• @john-hatter Who knows, you might luck out and run into more friendly souls. We'll just never really know until we are at our most vulnerable in this game. Best of luck on your quest. Aside from the player problem, The Hungering Deep is a very enjoyable experience.

• You get accomodations while doing THD. Where can you see them? Cant see them anywhete in game after the fact

• @illdwarf8612070 your post has been edited.
    @Harveyosull your posts have been deleted. We welcome all kinds of constructive feedback, however we do not allow the use of profanity.

Obscene and Vulgar Language
    Swearing is not permitted on the Forums and a profanity filter is in place to block it. Attempts to bypass the profanity filter will result in a temporary ban from the Forums and a final warning. If the action continues, a permanent ban from the Forums will be issued.

Please read and abide by the Forum Rules when interacting with the community on the Forums.

Thank you!

• I played this morning, went straight to Shark Bait Cove to talk to Merrick and got my megaphone. I then set sails to an outpost when I saw a mermaid and a Captains Chest next to it. The guy was on the beach so I brought out the megaphone and tried to communicate, I figured I could give the guy a ride to the outpost to cash in his chest but instead he tried to kill me..... Bad move on his part, I killed him and took his chest...

• @pumpkinkangaroo Glad to hear that not everyone is having a bad time! (insert sans meme here)

Hope that this luck continues for you and for everyone else attempting to play The Hungering Deep. I won't get to play it until late tonight, so I'm curious to hear the initial thoughts of everyone playing right now

• If people acted just as they did before the Hungering Deep, you shouldn't have a problem completing the event.

I've become more vocal over the headset now with the hungering deep out, today has been not to bad, people willing to help out.

• Is this real? Time limited content. Would be nice if I didn't get instantly attacked and killed when I came up to the island, lolololololololol who the hell is in charge of decisions for this game.

• I don't understand what I'm supposed to do in the hungering deep?
    Where do I start?
    Is sloop ok?

• @thyroidalwall56 said in [Mega Thread] The Hungering Deep:

Been playing for 10 minutes after the update. Got to the bard to find a galleon at his island. Not a big deal. People excited to play i didn't think I'd be the only person there. I play music and try to be generally friendly out in the open. I get to the bard open up the dialouge box, and from behind me, hear "F**k you!" And I fall over dead.

Awesome.

I respawn to see the galleon prepped to broadside me and a dude swimming to my boat. "We're going to take everything you have and if you try to resist we'll sink you."

Awesome!

I go into the menu scuttle my ship, shoot the swimmer to death, and blow up their ship with a powder keg i grabbed to fight the beast. Now I'm hiding on the island with out a boat.

If you tout a brand new LIMITED TIME PVE event, don't designed it in a way where it can become completely inaccessible through player intervention. It is such a glaring flaw that everyone has to go to the same place, so that a handful of players can immediately ruin the expansion for EVERYBODY by camping it out systematically. Keep this in mind for future expansions please.

If you go into a PvP game, for an event where players are going to congregate, don't come to the forums and complain that you had to encounter PvP in the game.

I'm prepping now to play with random people just because I know there will be groups like this. We are ready to go tonight. Excited for the amount of frustration and fun to be had.

• @braxkedren
    While I agree with your point I don't think PVP is the complaint. It is an interesting design choice to release content with a ticking clock and then have it in such a way that further limits it down to the 'survivors' who get to enjoy it(especially in a game accused of desperately needing content)

I have fully accepted PVP as a game mechanic and the potential consequences involved. While I have not yet had the chance to try out the new content the fact is I have two weeks to fit it into my real life schedule and hope no one decides to be a jerk. I don't blame the developers for my personal life but I think being disappointed and/or concerned for future content and expressing said feelings is a reasonable thing.

For all I know it will go smoothly for me. Being the first content drop of this nature I would imagine they will want to know peoples thoughts and feelings on it.

• @john-hatter said in [Mega Thread] The Hungering Deep:

@braxkedren
    While I agree with your point I don't think PVP is the complaint. It is an interesting design choice to release content with a ticking clock and then have it in such a way that further limits it down to the 'survivors' who get to enjoy it(especially in a game accused of desperately needing content)

I have fully accepted PVP as a game mechanic and the potential consequences involved. While I have not yet had the chance to try out the new content the fact is I have two weeks to fit it into my real life schedule and hope no one decides to be a jerk. I don't blame the developers for my personal life but I think being disappointed and/or concerned for future content and expressing said feelings is a reasonable thing.

For all I know it will go smoothly for me. Being the first content drop of this nature I would imagine they will want to know peoples thoughts and feelings on it.

Pretty sure they are aware of this and time constraints. I play anywhere from 6 to 12 hours a week. It's pretty easy to find players in the Discord, Facebook and forums to coordinate some groups for stuff, especially this. I don't think it will be that hard to get some of this stuff done in this amount of time.

A lot of this stuff is permanent, only certain cosmetics will be time limited.

• There should be a journal or some kind of UI to check your progress on the campaigns. We unlock commendations while doing the questline but no way to check what have we done.

• I really hope once the campaign ends and the threat becomes permanent that there's some sort of loot/reward for engaging with it beyond cosmetics. Merchant/souls loot (teeth?) for example.

This is the biggest missed opportunity with the kraken at the moment - right now it's just annoying. It shows up and slows you down for 90 seconds until you escape the black water and there's no incentive to actually engage with the content. It should be exciting when it strikes because even if it's stopping you from what you were currently doing (escaping another ship, heading to a fort, etc), it's an opportunity to get rewarded for doing something different. These threats should be a cool surprise when they show up, not just a nuisance or speed bump.

90% of the time I've seen the kraken strike it's interrupted a galleon chase. That's exciting for the ship that's trying to escape/catch up (and did not get krakened), but a huge pain in the butt for the one that gets slowed down. If there was a silver lining (loot!) it wouldn't feel as lame. I'm worried the Hungering One will end up feeling similar.

• @sioul That would have been nice to have that in your inventory as a permanent reminder and more things to aim for.

A Hungering Deep section could of even had some mini commendations to work towards alongside the main quests.

• @scrubber89 I recommend starting at your local tavern, and speaking with one of the visiting members of the Bilge Rats.

• I can’t add the speaking trumpet to a hot key on Xbox. For example I have the lantern on the right d pad and the spyglass is in the right stick.

In the options there is no speaking trumpet to select a hot key for.

• Do we know if the ship parts are permanent or time limited? I just spent all my gold on the stuff they took out of the game last week. Now I need to save up for 3 new ship parts. If they are time limited, I really wouldn’t have expected a 210,000 gold price tag.

Publicaciones
Visitas
33 de 252