Consider expanding matchmaking rating while waiting in queue

• There is no secret that right now some players are sitting in queue for a long time across different levels of allegiance, W/L ratios, ship sizes, etc. This means that either the matchmaking is not working as intended (my current assumption) or it is working and if you have nobody to match with you are out of luck, need to wait, try a different side, size of ship, etc. I hope that it is not the latter, but if it is then I have a fair solution to ensure matches keep happening.

The game is large enough that people should be getting a match within 5-15 minutes consecutively without needing to switch sides, switch boat sizes, jump regions, etc. My crew and many crews I know across different skill levels have done all of this and still queues that last 20+ minutes or never puts them into a match. My crew has experienced this despite switching from xbox to PC, switching ship sizes, even switching regions.

My idea if it has not been discussed is to use expanding matchmaking to ensure a match occurs no matter what eventually.

For example, lets say that my "rating" is 100. I'm not going to explain why it is 100, it is just an example. If I queue up, I am supposed to be matched with 90-110 rated players. After a certain amount of time that rating expands if no opponent is found. I would eventually be in queue looking for 80-120, 70-130, so on and so forth. I would then say that after max 15 minutes (just a time I picked) the game automatically matches me with someone who is also waiting a long time for a match. Devs would pick an appropriate time for people to wait but as it currently stands "on demand" pvp feels more like "get in line and hopefully the ride works" pvp.

Thoughts?

Publicaciones
    Visitas
  • I feel like the MM system already casts a very broad net. I've sunk highly skilled streamers...and followed that up with dupstering what feels like players fresh off the maiden voyage.

I'm convinced that the long matchmaking times are a different problem not related to SBMM.

It seems like if I'm stuck underwater hunting for a match for a long time, I'll cancel matchmaking and either get a match when I cancel...or re-dive and immediately get a match...it's very bizarre...which is why I think something is actually broken causing long queue times.

• This was never going to be as active (population wise) as people were hyping it up to have potential for.

Imo they are gonna need to eventually let people opt into fighting anyone and opt in to quicker fighting.

On day 1 and 2 they already had people running into each other sometimes over 4 and 5 times a day.

This isn't wide serving content in reality, lots of people aren't interested and activity outside of alliance servers hasn't been great in some time.

sbmm only really works with large and active populations and no matter what numbers they throw out there the active part of the population outside of alliances isn't nearly as large as portrayed.

An option that I think would be fun is duo sloop where an experienced solo slooper is put with an inexperienced random crew mate to vs a similar duo sloop.

Would add more randomness to sloop fighting, and would likely cut down on the long fights of 1v1

• Dear stranger, we're only on day 4.
    Right now, the entire playerbase is in your matchmaking range.
    Your default, baseline, first half second in queue, matchmaking range.

It's going to take weeks before any notable amount of people are sorted out, and until those weeks go by you can basically think of this as not having sbmm at all.
    The long wait times you are getting are not due to mmr difference.
    If your "rating" is 100, you shouldn't feel special, because so is everybody elses. And that 90-110 range you suppose? The super pro hardcore pvp streamers are still only 105, and the bottom tier absolute scrubs are still up at 95. In your range, they are.

Besides that is the population of the entire game large enough for consistent consecutive 5-10 minute wait times without shenanigans?
    Sure. Is the population of people who actually want to, and who are at a given moment are in use of the hourglass? Definitely not.

Publicaciones
Visitas
3 de 4