A Suggestion For Captained Ships: Smuggle Spots

• We all know that it costs money to repair damage. And it sucks when you spend 4 hours and make maybe 5k gold, if that.
    Why not 'Hiding Spots' on ships? Read below:

1. Captained Ships get 2-4-5 spots (In regards to the size of the ship) to hide small treasures. AND ONLY SMALL TREASURES. Basically; anything that fits in a chest. Perhaps limit it so that VERY rare small treasures (Ashen Keys and the like) also cannot be hidden.
    2. These spots cannot be looted by boarding pirates. Basically; they are safe from theft.
    3. If your ship is sunk, these spots 'save' half those treasures, rounded down. IE: Sloops save 1 treasure. Brigantines & Galleons save 2 treasures. The treasures saved are 100% random; it could be that dinky silver chalice you found, or that high-value Bounty Skull.
    4. If you only have 1 treasure smuggled; it's lost. It float to the surface for your killer to take, like any other treasure.
    5. Any treasure not saved will, as per all treasure, float to the surface of the water.
    6. To prevent abuse or 'Scuttle warping'; Scuttling will NOT save any treasures, unless the crew dies to other players multiple times in a small amount of time. We also don't want to encourage ship-camping, after all.

I know some people will reply with 'But that's the risk of SoT! You can lose everything!' and you're right.
    But I'm trying to find a way to take the sting out of playing solo and getting my face pushed in multiple times a session by crews I literally cannot win against. I should not have to lose everything, repeatedly, to a 4v1 crew that somehow finds me 3 times in the same session.
    That's not 'fun', it's 'sadism'.
    Yesterday, I only saved maybe 10% of the treasure I found. It's the first time in years I got legit angry at a game. I had almost no fun and, after we turned in what little bit we got; my friend and I just shut the game down and did not touch it for the rest of the day. We did not even have to talk about it. We were just burnt out from being ganked back to back to back to back to back.

Yes; SoT is cutthroat.
    But there needs to be a bit of balance between the PvP and PvE crowd if they're going to share this PvEvP sandbox.
    Right now, it feels like PvE simply exists to give PvP players loot piñatas; If PvE players did not have treasure to dig up; PvP players would not have treasure to steal.
    It's an ecosystem that relies on BOTH types of players. But right now it feels like PvE players exist to hold treasure for PvP players to take.
    And, as of right now; I don't really feel like digging up treasure if I don't keep to keep even a tiny fraction of it when some 4-man 'TTV' named crew rolls up looking explicitly for 1-man sloops to bully.

This idea would not break anything. It simply gives added value to buying your own ship, and takes some of the sting out of being repeatedly sunk by people looking to attack smaller crews.
    I don't know. I'm just exhausted with enjoying the PvE, and then losing 100% of my hard work to a crew that out-numbers me. What's the point of digging up treasure, at that point? I don't get to keep any, so why should I give anyone else the satisfaction of taking it from me?

Edit: Added tags, which I derped on.

Publicaciones
    Visitas
    feedbackgeneral
  • Wouldn't it be overpowered though?
    If I recall correctly, you still gain gold from burying treasure if you post it on the notice board, just not reputation. You could do that instead, and sail with minimal loot on deck.

• @eguzky said in A Suggestion For Captained Ships: Smuggle Spots:

I know some people will reply with 'But that's the risk of SoT! You can lose everything!' and you're right.
    But I'm trying to find a way to take the sting out of playing solo and getting my face pushed in multiple times a session by crews I literally cannot win against. I should not have to lose everything, repeatedly, to a 4v1 crew that somehow finds me 3 times in the same session.

That's uh, that's why you create a crew, even with the recent buffs to the sloop for smaller crews to stand a chance in some tougher fights, 1 man can't defend against too many people at once. That's usually why there are many avenues to create yourself a worthy and reliable crew. If you're anti-social, that's kind of a "too bad" scenario, I'm sorry to say.

Yes; SoT is cutthroat.
    But there needs to be a bit of balance between the PvP and PvE crowd if they're going to share this PvEvP sandbox.
    Right now, it feels like PvE simply exists to give PvP players loot piñatas; If PvE players did not have treasure to dig up; PvP players would not have treasure to steal.
    It's an ecosystem that relies on BOTH types of players. But right now it feels like PvE players exist to hold treasure for PvP players to take.

Self defense is a thing many people in real life do, and in many PvPvE games do. You wanna do quests and world events with vicious hunters about? You have to defend yourself from them, regardless of what stipulation you put yourself under. Solo play is the hardest difficulty, and duo sloop is only slightly easier should you know what your crew can do with the ship you're sailing on.

And, as of right now; I don't really feel like digging up treasure if I don't keep to keep even a tiny fraction of it when some 4-man 'TTV' named crew rolls up looking explicitly for 1-man sloops to bully.

Any kind of player can sink you for any reason, but if you have any treasure that you do no sell asap, you gave them a primary reason, regardless of how much any of the treasure is worth. Sell often, and you'll find this frustration a decreased issue.

This idea would not break anything. It simply gives added value to buying your own ship, and takes some of the sting out of being repeatedly sunk by people looking to attack smaller crews.
    I don't know. I'm just exhausted with enjoying the PvE, and then losing 100% of my hard work to a crew that out-numbers me. What's the point of digging up treasure, at that point? I don't get to keep any, so why should I give anyone else the satisfaction of taking it from me?

Alternatively, you could work on becoming a hunter and stealing plunder from people that think they can sail with too much treasure without selling for long periods of time and make yourself even greater profits over digging up 2 Marauder's chests.

This idea is the epitome of desperation for someone that doesn't know how long they should sail with treasure, if you're digging up treasure and too scared of losing it, sell it asap instead of continuing to sail with it. Don't treat a long voyage like a marathon you have to run to the end, you can make several stops at outposts along the way. And if you really want to keep the treasure instead of making huge profits on it, don't raise an emissary. You're becoming a profitable target to your hunters at that point.

• @zedny3434 said in A Suggestion For Captained Ships: Smuggle Spots:

Wouldn't it be overpowered though?
    If I recall correctly, you still gain gold from burying treasure if you post it on the notice board, just not reputation. You could do that instead, and sail with minimal loot on deck.

I would not know; every time I bury treasure; I get sunk, and you lose those maps if your ship sinks.
    'The crew will too be awarded with a Map Bundle on their Voyage Table containing all of their Buried Treasure Maps, which can be stolen, gifted or lost.'

The wiki also says you get reknown and reputation. Not gold.

And how would it be OP? The idea only hides small treasures, and possibly bounty skulls.

@nex-stargaze said in A Suggestion For Captained Ships: Smuggle Spots:

@eguzky said in A Suggestion For Captained Ships: Smuggle Spots:

That's uh, that's why you create a crew, even with the recent buffs to the sloop for smaller crews to stand a chance in some tougher fights, 1 man can't defend against too many people at once. That's usually why there are many avenues to create yourself a worthy and reliable crew. If you're anti-social, that's kind of a "too bad" scenario, I'm sorry to say.

Yes; SoT is cutthroat.

Self defense is a thing many people in real life do, and in many PvPvE games do. You wanna do quests and world events with vicious hunters about? You have to defend yourself from them, regardless of what stipulation you put yourself under. Solo play is the hardest difficulty, and duo sloop is only slightly easier should you know what your crew can do with the ship you're sailing on.

Any kind of player can sink you for any reason, but if you have any treasure that you do no sell asap, you gave them a primary reason, regardless of how much any of the treasure is worth. Sell often, and you'll find this frustration a decreased issue.

Alternatively, you could work on becoming a hunter and stealing plunder from people that think they can sail with too much treasure without selling for long periods of time and make yourself even greater profits over digging up 2 Marauder's chests.

This idea is the epitome of desperation for someone that doesn't know how long they should sail with treasure, if you're digging up treasure and too scared of losing it, sell it asap instead of continuing to sail with it. Don't treat a long voyage like a marathon you have to run to the end, you can make several stops at outposts along the way. And if you really want to keep the treasure instead of making huge profits on it, don't raise an emissary. You're becoming a profitable target to your hunters at that point.

You made a number of large assumptions in order to make counter-points.
    I almost never run with allot of treasure. I have been sniped and firebombed IN PORT after just logging in.
    I have been sunk repeatedly on my way TO treasures.
    I can barely go 1 island over some days, without being sunk two or three times.

Tell me how all THAT sounds like 'someone who just want to sail with allot of treasure'?

I'd also like it point out; the idea hides SMALL treasures in LIMITED amounts. AND you don't keep them all if you sink. So, again; how is it me desperately wanting to keep a 'marathon' of treasure?

• @eguzky You exaggerate - sunk 2 or 3x before even reaching 1 Island? Even if true, those are the servers you don't stay in, unless you're a glutton for punishment.

• @galactic-geek said in A Suggestion For Captained Ships: Smuggle Spots:

@eguzky You exaggerate - sunk 2 or 3x before even reaching 1 Island? Even if true, those are the servers you don't stay in, unless you're a glutton for punishment.

I wish I was exaggerating. I seem to have luck that's either epically good, or epically bad.
    It's a joke in my circle of friends; either things go so far my way that I must be part 4-leaf clover, or things mess up in ways that make me think my ancestors were collecting ancient curses like stamps.

• Y'know what? I dig it, Smuggling is a part of piracy that isn't really touched on in this game.

• You had me at smuggling and hiding spots.

Lost me at safe from theft.

• Smuggling is easy and already possible. We have always had the ability to hide loot (you just need to think off the boat). Smuggled items were also often stolen and buried. We already do those things too.

Smuggling is easy and already possible. We have always had the ability to hide loot (you just need to think off the boat). Smuggled items were also often stolen and buried. We already do those things too.

There is no place to really hide loot.

@pithyrumble said in A Suggestion For Captained Ships: Smuggle Spots:

You had me at smuggling and hiding spots.

Why? At most, a person with this setup gets 2,000-3,000 gold.

@galactic-geek said in A Suggestion For Captained Ships: Smuggle Spots:

Smuggling is easy and already possible. We have always had the ability to hide loot (you just need to think off the boat). Smuggled items were also often stolen and buried. We already do those things too.

The Ashen Wind Skull is worth a bit more (10k), also the totems to open Gold Hoarder vaults (golden is more than 3.5k)

• Im personally against having the ability to save any treasure, when i get sunk, the people who sunk me earned my loot in my eyes. There are a number of good hiding spots for different kinds of loot on your ship tho, you used to be able to down your own mast even and just hide rare treasures inside of it, but that seems to have been fixed now.

Stairs on ships and some geometry allows you to hide gems, keys, skulls, and even flags however, so if you want to make your ship look empty of all those small trinkets, i would look for those spots.

• @eguzky

No safe zones. Even tho we have several.

Pirate's Life 1 & 3...

Shrine and Treasury statues that allow you to hide loot (not flags boo) and use the PLife 1&3 portal server hops to effectively move loot between servers.

I may play casual, but I'm far from.

But no to adding any resemblance of a safe zone.

• @lem0n-curry said in A Suggestion For Captained Ships: Smuggle Spots:

@galactic-geek said in A Suggestion For Captained Ships: Smuggle Spots:

The Ashen Wind Skull is worth a bit more (10k), also the totems to open Gold Hoarder vaults (golden is more than 3.5k)

Then those items can't be Smuggled.
    I did put it right in the suggestion 'High value Small Items cannot be hidden'.

@goldsmen said in A Suggestion For Captained Ships: Smuggle Spots:

Im personally against having the ability to save any treasure, when i get sunk, the people who sunk me earned my loot in my eyes. There are a number of good hiding spots for different kinds of loot on your ship tho, you used to be able to down your own mast even and just hide rare treasures inside of it, but that seems to have been fixed now.

Stairs on ships and some geometry allows you to hide gems, keys, skulls, and even flags however, so if you want to make your ship look empty of all those small trinkets, i would look for those spots.

You may feel they have earned it, but it gets annoying to be sunk 7 times and get maybe 10% of the treasure over 4 hours.
    That, literally, happened to me yesterday. This is a small way to take some of the sting out without allowing players to deny their sinkers the high-value items they deserve for sinking you.

Also; if you feel your opponent deserves ally our treasure for sinking you; ...Just don't use the Smuggle Spots?
    WHy not have the option for both kinds of people?

• @eguzky said:

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

I know of quite a few... it's a skill; not a given. You just have to know where, and how, to look.

I'll give you a freebie: on Shipwreck Bay, near the back of the Blackwhyche shipwreck, there is a steep rock slope you can climb on; at the top and to the right of the slope is a hole where you can hide your loot that is obscured from view from all sides. Nobody will ever find it unless they stumble upon it, or see you putting it there.

• @pithyrumble can't take loot through portals though, just supplies

• @dudefiik said in A Suggestion For Captained Ships: Smuggle Spots:

@pithyrumble can't take loot through portals though, just supplies

Put it in a shrine/treasury statue and you can, newb.

• @pithyrumble Oh, huh. Neat!

• @dudefiik said in A Suggestion For Captained Ships: Smuggle Spots:

@pithyrumble Oh, huh. Neat!

Just because my playstyle is casual doesn't mean I am.

@eguzky said:

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

I know of quite a few... it's a skill; not a given. You just have to know where, and how, to look.

I'll give you a freebie: on Shipwreck Bay, near the back of the Blackwhyche shipwreck, there is a steep rock slope you can climb on; at the top and to the right of the slope is a hole where you can hide your loot that is obscured from view from all sides. Nobody will ever find it unless they stumble upon it, or see you putting it there.

And....what is the point of hiding your loot on an island if you want to turn it in?
    Like, how does this at all help anyone sailing with loot? Unless you can see the future and know you're going to be sunk.

Edit: Typo

• @pithyrumble said in A Suggestion For Captained Ships: Smuggle Spots:

@dudefiik said in A Suggestion For Captained Ships: Smuggle Spots:

Yes, it works - but only for 20 pieces of loot (slightly more if you have treasure chests and lots of smaller loot items). Also, it's quite tedious and time consuming to carry that much loot down to the shrine or treasury. Have fun, though! Not my cup of tea.

I almost never run with allot of treasure. I have been sniped and firebombed IN PORT after just logging in.
    I have been sunk repeatedly on my way TO treasures.
    I can barely go 1 island over some days, without being sunk two or three times.

Sending you a friend request because I spend a lot of time looking for a fraction of this action. I wanna sail with you to get my PVP fix.

• Interesting idea.
    I adopted the "sell little and often" approach instead of waiting for a Emmy flag to max out. I find I get generally more loot overall as often when people attack me, Ive only just sold alot of my loot and they generally get the dregs.
    Most of my mates that I crew with have adopted this tactic as well

@dudefiik said in A Suggestion For Captained Ships: Smuggle Spots:

Yes, it works - but only for 20 pieces of loot (slightly more if you have treasure chests and lots of smaller loot items). Also, it's quite tedious and time consuming to carry that much loot down to the shrine or treasury. Have fun, though! Not my cup of tea.

19 for the sake of precision. You do have to add a piece to be able to reclaim it.

A 6k Green breath is...

• @eguzky

I dont know how you stumble upon so much PVP. Getting killed without even getting to the first island? Please tell me your secret.

I cant find people to fight while you get contested every second???

What region are you on? Or are you just lying? Or am I just unlucky?

• @thorumsu said in A Suggestion For Captained Ships: Smuggle Spots:

@eguzky

I dont know how you stumble upon so much PVP. Getting killed without even getting to the first island? Please tell me your secret.

As I said; I have wacky luck.
    Just last night; I logged in to do Shroudbreaker at 9 PM EST.
    When I went to give it to the NPC at the nearest island; A Reaper's Chest was within SWIMMING distance of the island, on a shipwreck.

I did not grab it, because no way was I solo-slooping towards the Reaper's Hideout on the off-chance someone was camping the docks to gank RC's.
    And before someone says 'No one does that!', I will remind y'all: When my friend and I killed the Ashen Lord, got jumped by a crew, grabbed SOME treasure, and hightailed it to the nearest Outpost; Someone was waiting by the new NPC you can turn loot over too, with a sniper rifle. Just camping and waiting to steal treasure.
    I'm still convinced he was part of the crew that jumped us, just waiting in case we got away from his friends.
    And after THAT, we went back to the island (We had a quest on it. We were not even there for the Ashen Lord.), saw some loot remained, and got jumped by a solo-slooper who oneshot my friend (Blunderbuss) and dropped our anchor. I killed him and meep-meeped away.

• @eguzky, A Suggestion For Captained Ships: Smuggle Spots içinde yazdı:

@thorumsu said in A Suggestion For Captained Ships: Smuggle Spots:

@eguzky

As I said; I have wacky luck.
    Just last night; I logged in to do Shroudbreaker at 9 PM EST.
    When I went to give it to the NPC at the nearest island; A Reaper's Chest was within SWIMMING distance of the island, on a shipwreck.

I did not grab it, because no way was I solo-slooping towards the Reaper's Hideout on the off-chance someone was camping the docks to gank RC's.
    And before someone says 'No one does that!', I will remind y'all: When my friend and I killed the Ashen Lord, got jumped by a crew, grabbed SOME treasure, and hightailed it to the nearest Outpost; Someone was waiting by the new NPC you can turn loot over too, with a sniper rifle. Just camping and waiting to steal treasure.
    I'm still convinced he was part of the crew that jumped us, just waiting in case we got away from his friends.
    And after THAT, we went back to the island (We had a quest on it. We were not even there for the Ashen Lord.), saw some loot remained, and got jumped by a solo-slooper who oneshot my friend (Blunderbuss) and dropped our anchor. I killed him and meep-meeped away.

I WANT people to "camp" (the actual term is tucking) on me but all ships I see just run to the red sea with a castaway chest...

• It's not your loot until you sell it

takes some of the sting out of being repeatedly sunk by people looking to attack smaller crews.

Saving one piece of loot from my haul on a sloop wouldn't take out very much of that sting at all my guy.

• @hijack-hayes said in A Suggestion For Captained Ships: Smuggle Spots:

takes some of the sting out of being repeatedly sunk by people looking to attack smaller crews.

Saving one piece of loot from my haul on a sloop wouldn't take out very much of that sting at all my guy.

It's better than not getting anything for the run.

• @eguzky I would be more angry at having one tiny piece of loot than having none. It would be like trolling myself.

@eguzky I would be more angry at having one tiny piece of loot than having none. It would be like trolling myself.

Ok? I know I'd be quite happy to have a little bit of loot to turn in.

• @eguzky one piece?

@eguzky one piece?

It would cover the cost of repairing my ship after being sunk.
    If Rare would allow free cosmetic repairing; I would not care half as much.
    Not REAL damage, which is open holes, fire, flooding, etc.

I'm just tired that being sunk means I LOSE money or my ship looks like a pile of trash.
    Not great options and stupid choices for shelling out, at minimum, 250,000 gold.

• Fine. Make it so boarders can take some time to open Smuggle Spots.

I just want to keep SOMETHING.

Right now, PvP sweatlords sink you and get 100% of your treasure. There's 0 reason to board and steal it.
    Just sink, yoink, move on.

And solo sloops have it the worst, as they can't fight back.
    Give me a way to keep treasure, and encourage boarding at the same time.

Publicaciones
Visitas
feedbackgeneral
33 de 41