Enforcing The Piratte Code

• Currently there is absolutely no way in game to bring the wrath of justice down upon the heads of those who violate the Pirate Code as posted in all the Taverns. As such "The Code" is a joke.

I was treated so badly as a new player that I now mute all other crews and I RUN from other players when ever possible. In two months of play I have had exactly two positive encounters with other crews. The only other alternative is to become a hate filled revenge monger. This is a sad state of affairs. I would leave the game if I could get a refund. I can't so I must do battle with this issue.

Enforcement. Even in the "Pirates of The Caribbean" films the Pirate Code as Set down by Capts Morgan and Bartholomew, FYI both very real pirates, had an ENFORCER.

Sea of Thieves is in desperate need of Captain Teague.

There are automatic logs that such a feature could access. Summoning Captain Teague would include the great keeper of The Code asking you pointed questions to make sure you have not summoned him wrongly. The most recent players you encounter are listed in the XBOX app that can be called up and run in the background on PCs at least. In any event if you summon Capt. Teague immediately upon being abused, your abusers can be found, and a little reading for times you encountered them will reveal them nicely. There you have the gamer tags of those who abused you.

Capt Teague, upon verifying that you are not just a whiner who lost a fight could then be unleashed upon the gamers who have offended the Pirate Code.

This unleashing would take the form of an indestrucable Capt Teague appearing on the ship where the offenders currently are, on any instance of any server, he would then perform his function as in the film clip above. In addition, just to drive the point home, Capt Teague would burn the offending ship down to the waterline and sink it. Respawning would only result in instant death to that dreaded pistol.

An addition to the game would be welcome. Thieves Haven being an actual HAVEN! Therein one might even meet dear Capt Teague and whish him well. What could it hurt to have Thieves Haven live up to it's name?

We need Capt Teague in The Sea of Thieves, or take down that silly code in the Taverns. As is that code is an insult to all new players.

Publicaciones
    Visitas
  • that I now mute all other crews and I RUN from other players when ever possible.

You are smarter than most.

But do tell. What part of the code are people breaking. I didn’t see which guidelines they are breaking.

• Actually the "Pirate Code" in SOT is respected and enforced vigorously. If you think anyone had breached the Code, report them, just make sure you have read and understood the articles of said Code.

Keep in mind this is a pirates' game, attacking other crews and looting will happen. It is on us as community to make sure this happens in respect of other players and by abiding to the terms of the online gaming.

• Thieves' Haven is named after it being the safe haven Ramsey's crew found when they first cross the shroud into the Sea of Thieves

• If you stop running and fight and sink the ship that is trying to sink you, you can enforce the Pirate code yourself, how about that?

• Just ignore the pirate code it's ambiguous and a pain to read.

Follow the community code of conduct, report people that don't. Problem solved.

• When someone is truly looking to avoid trouble they rarely run into it.

If a person plays in a way that crowds other people and/or expects them to play and act how they want they find plenty of issues

when a person plays without laying expectations and obligations down on other pirates and when the focus is on personal goals and achieving those goals rather than trying to play hall monitor with the server there are very few issues

Issues are minimal out there but you gotta be willing to adapt and let things go

• Admittedly though, the pirate code is more like guidelines than rules. The actual rules are the community code of conduct. The pirate code simply shares many similarities.

Besides, how would the game detect that a pirate broke the code?

• @burnbacon said in Enforcing The Piratte Code:

that I now mute all other crews and I RUN from other players when ever possible.

But do tell. What part of the code are people breaking. I didn’t see which guidelines they are breaking.

Disputes Are Settled upon the Waves
    None shall quarrel or overly dissent against another crew, but let every engagement be settled by sword, pistol and good seamanship.

This one is technically often broken. The moment you attack someone on an outpost (as we will consider non settled/skeleton forts as "on the waves") you should, by this code, be left alone. (Stealing from docked ships not counting as a dispute.)

The Crew Bond Is Sacred
    Those who betray their crew and ship through griefing or trolling shall be sent to the brig.

This one is/was broken enough they implemented the Brig... It still happens as these type of people still take up a crew spot while in the Brig.

Respect New Pirates and Their Voyage Ahead
    May the old legends help to forge new ones: treat new pirates with respect and share your knowledge.

You can't look at someone and see they are new. There are also PvPers who will target players specifically because they are new.

I've seen streamers violate the first code: The Sea Calls To Us All.

I remember one partnered streamer who was screeching profanities into the speaking trumpet as they chased down a ship for two hours. Insulting them for being cowards and not wanting to fight them.

Providing proof, especially of verbal violations/abuse is next to impossible if you aren't constantly recording on your PC. (I don't want my computer constantly recording and dumping data for the love of Poseidon.) Ergo people push the limits of toxicity further and further.

But for every aft-hole, you run into some really cool, fun, helpful, or just crazy people. Both in PvP and PvE. I will note that I instinctively turn off VC in any game that involves PvP. But... ignoring a person doesn't stop them from spewing chum across the sea.

• @martith said in Enforcing The Piratte Code:

@burnbacon said in Enforcing The Piratte Code:

that I now mute all other crews and I RUN from other players when ever possible.

None shall quarrel or overly dissent against another crew, but let every engagement be settled by sword, pistol and good seamanship.

This one is technically often broken. The moment you attack someone on an outpost (as we will consider non settled/skeleton forts as "on the waves") you should, by this code, be left alone. (Stealing from docked ships not counting as a dispute.)

This is actually referring to keeping it in-game. Don't take in-game rivalry to PMs or real life basically.

The Crew Bond Is Sacred
    Those who betray their crew and ship through griefing or trolling shall be sent to the brig.

This one is/was broken enough they implemented the Brig... It still happens as these type of people still take up a crew spot while in the Brig.

No arguments from me, although there will never be a perfect fix for open crew regarding this.

Respect New Pirates and Their Voyage Ahead
    May the old legends help to forge new ones: treat new pirates with respect and share your knowledge.

You can't look at someone and see they are new. There are also PvPers who will target players specifically because they are new.

Which is it, do people target others who are new or can they not determine who those are? I can tell you these days, if they are not doing a world event or have an emissary up, usually they are not worth the effort of an attack or potential chase.

I remember one partnered streamer who was screeching profanities into the speaking trumpet as they chased down a ship for two hours. Insulting them for being cowards and not wanting to fight them.

I have encountered way more players who are not streamers do this. Doesn't matter what a player does for a day job as far as correlation to in-game behavior.

Providing proof, especially of verbal violations/abuse is next to impossible if you aren't constantly recording on your PC. (I don't want my computer constantly recording and dumping data for the love of Poseidon.) Ergo people push the limits of toxicity further and further.

It is my understanding that Xbox and on PC the game bar has a feature that at the push of a button, it will save your last 30 seconds of gameplay. Also you don't want your computer to collect data? Have you ever played an online multiplayer game? Most anti-cheat programs do this the entire time a game is running, some also record video and/or screenshots of your screen and all windows open.

But for every aft-hole, you run into some really cool, fun, helpful, or just crazy people. Both in PvP and PvE. I will note that I instinctively turn off VC in any game that involves PvP. But... ignoring a person doesn't stop them from spewing chum across the sea.

That is what reporting is for. They usually get comms ban in SoT. Some even get an outright week suspension first and on second offense a ban.

You have a misunderstanding of that code. It was meant to convey that conflicts that occur within the game should not be allowed to spill over into other areas (forums, salty messages outside the game, etc.). The code was put together with community input and this is how it ended up being phrased. Looking back it would have been better to be less abstract about it. With that said, if it were interpreted as concretely as you are suggesting then technically people would not be allowed to fight each other at outposts, seaposts, islands, or forts. You might even make a case that attacking others underwater at shrines and so on is off limits since waves happen above the surface. It would be absurd. There is also nothing there to support limits you suggest (active forts only, stealing but no killing at outposts, etc.). It was never meant to limit players attacks to one place but not another. Another way to put it is, “keep it in the game.”

• @ghostpaw said in Enforcing The Piratte Code:

You have a misunderstanding of that code. It was meant to convey that conflicts that occur within the game should not be allowed to spill over into other areas (forums, salty messages outside the game, etc.). The code was put together with community input and this is how it ended up being phrased. Looking back it would have been better to be less abstract about it.

They really need to rewrite that one or make it abundantly clear that it is referring to OUT-OF-GAME activity only because the number of people who read it literally is ridiculous.

• @d3adst1ck

It’s pretty straight forward. It’s not confusing. It easy to understand. People take things to serious.

Clearly says, “Disputes are settled upon the waves”.
    That very simply to read and understand. I don’t get why others have issues.

• @d3adst1ck said in Enforcing The Piratte Code:

@ghostpaw said in Enforcing The Piratte Code:

You have a misunderstanding of that code. It was meant to convey that conflicts that occur within the game should not be allowed to spill over into other areas (forums, salty messages outside the game, etc.). The code was put together with community input and this is how it ended up being phrased. Looking back it would have been better to be less abstract about it.

They really need to rewrite that one or make it abundantly clear that it is referring to OUT-OF-GAME activity only because the number of people who read it literally is ridiculous.

"on the wave" is pretty self explanatory, IMO.

It's like settling your disputes "on the mat" or "on the field" in sports.

You keep it there and you don't bring it outside that area.

• @personalc0ffee said in Enforcing The Piratte Code:

"on the wave" is pretty self explanatory, IMO.

It's like settling your disputes "on the mat" or "on the field" in sports.

You keep it there and you don't bring it outside that area.

It's clearly not if we continue to get people thinking it means on the water only and not at outposts.

You can't say it's self explanatory when we have an example of someone getting it wrong like 4-5 posts ago.

• @burnbacon said in Enforcing The Piratte Code:

@d3adst1ck

It’s pretty straight forward. It’s not confusing. It easy to understand. People take things to serious.

Clearly says, “Disputes are settled upon the waves”.
    That very simply to read and understand. I don’t get why others have issues.

Exactly, that’s not clear to a lot of new people that aren’t familiar with the terms. People think this literally means that you can only attack them at sea instead of killing them on an outpost.

• I have yet to have a positive experience with another crew, so far this game is just pirate Rust, you kill every player you see on sight or run or they will steal your ship and repeatedly spawnkill you rather than sink it just to ruin your fun. this has happened with every single other crew my friends and I have encountered thus far, to the point where we no longer trust anyone, fishing at an outpost? a pirate comes onto the boat, kills my friend and I, and then his crew of 4 come and they spawncamp us until we leave the server, we had no treasure aboard at the time. doing my tutorial voyage, the same thing happened. I don't know if that's a violation of any guidelines or code or not, but since my experiences have lead me to believe that this game is just rust, I'm going to guess hijacking a smaller ship and spawnkilling its crew rather than sinking it is not against the rules.

• @de1h5633 said in Enforcing The Piratte Code:

I have yet to have a positive experience with another crew, so far this game is just pirate Rust, you kill every player you see on sight or run or they will steal your ship and repeatedly spawnkill you rather than sink it just to ruin your fun. this has happened with every single other crew my friends and I have encountered thus far, to the point where we no longer trust anyone, fishing at an outpost? a pirate comes onto the boat, kills my friend and I, and then his crew of 4 come and they spawncamp us until we leave the server, we had no treasure aboard at the time. doing my tutorial voyage, the same thing happened. I don't know if that's a violation of any guidelines or code or not, but since my experiences have lead me to believe that this game is just rust, I'm going to guess hijacking a smaller ship and spawnkilling its crew rather than sinking it is not against the rules.

a solid 70% of most servers are gonna be new players, casual players that aren't super hostile, and completely peaceful players

most servers usually only have 1 or 2 hostile ships. sure there are some servers where everyone goes at it but that's far from the norm.

as you gain more experience at reading the environment and the pirate's behavior whether far away or close by you'll be able to reasonably determine the risk and their intentions

Communication and focusing on being highly observant prevent a lot of issues. Gaining the skills needed for self defense is also very important. If they smell fear and hesitation they may be inclined to take advantage. If it becomes clear that you are able to neutralize a threat if necessary then people will hesitate to pursue hostility.

To be successful in this game when it comes to interaction you don't need to be hostile but you need to be able to be very tuned into the moment, observant, and able and willing to defend yourself. As you gain the experience and skills required for this the interactions often become less negative

If pirates act fishy around you or your boat, kill them.

• @de1h5633 said in Enforcing The Piratte Code:

I'm going to guess hijacking a smaller ship and spawnkilling its crew rather than sinking it is not against the rules.

Use the scuttle option in your crew menu while you wait your death on the Ship of the Damned. Once your crew scuttles you will be given a new boat placed somewhere away from your attackers in less than a minute. If you were fishing with nothing on board then you lost nothing.

• @ghostpaw said in Enforcing The Piratte Code:

Use the scuttle option in your crew menu while you wait your death on the Ship of the Damned. Once your crew scuttles you will be given a new boat placed somewhere away from your attackers in less than a minute. If you were fishing with nothing on board then you lost nothing.

@wolfmanbush said in Enforcing The Piratte Code:

a solid 70% of most servers are gonna be new players, casual players that aren't super hostile, and completely peaceful players

most servers usually only have 1 or 2 hostile ships. sure there are some servers where everyone goes at it but that's far from the norm.

as you gain more experience at reading the environment and the pirate's behavior whether far away or close by you'll be able to reasonably determine the risk and their intentions

Communication and focusing on being highly observant prevent a lot of issues. Gaining the skills needed for self defense is also very important. If they smell fear and hesitation they may be inclined to take advantage. If it becomes clear that you are able to neutralize a threat if necessary then people will hesitate to pursue hostility.

To be successful in this game when it comes to interaction you don't need to be hostile but you need to be able to be very tuned into the moment, observant, and able and willing to defend yourself. As you gain the experience and skills required for this the interactions often become less negative

If pirates act fishy around you or your boat, kill them.

this is helpful advice and we did not know about the option to scuttle, thank you. We're currently waiting to see if a whole night's haul that was not paid out to us because of server issues will be remedied but when we get back to playing we will try to put this advice to use.

I've also seen them abusing exploits and just being generally toxic and entitled.

shining example for the game right?

• @amybun said in Enforcing The Piratte Code:

@martith said in Enforcing The Piratte Code:

I've also seen them abusing exploits and just being generally toxic and entitled.

That is on the individual not on the game. We as players have the right to report behavior that violates the Code of Conduct, this way we help the game and the community.

• @metal-ravage said in Enforcing The Piratte Code:

@amybun said in Enforcing The Piratte Code:

That is on the individual not on the game. We as players have the right to report behavior that violates the Code of Conduct, this way we help the game and the community.

partners are supposed to represent the game though and when they are actively using cheats and exploits, well its not the best way to represent the game is it.

this isn't condoned it's just not always reported

streamers often stream for hours and hours. The people that generally sit there watching something for hours and hours are people that enjoy it and are less likely to be looking to report it

but also the rules are pretty clear so some stuff may not be something someone likes to see or hear but still doesn't actually violate the rules.

@metal-ravage said in Enforcing The Piratte Code:

@amybun said in Enforcing The Piratte Code:

partners are supposed to represent the game though and when they are actively using cheats and exploits, well its not the best way to represent the game is it.

If you think anyone had violated the Code of Conduct:

Just report them:

• im just gonna drop a

Mics save Lives

later

• I hear this code brought up frequently.

I've been playing since day 1. I don't what code you all talking about.

The code , the real one is Kill or be killed. Be the predator or the prey.

That's all that matters.

• @glannigan As gamers we belong to a community and to uphold the rules within that community we have to abide by the Code of Conduct. The Code includes the rules of the online service and those of the game's devs.

• I’ve found that it’s a mixed bag out on the open sea. My crew and I aren’t seasoned vets, but we aren’t new either. I can usually bank on finding at least 33% non-combatant crews, 33% combatant crews that play/fight fair, and 34% that are griefers/obnoxious crude mic crews. You take the good with the bad out there in the blue, and there are plenty of both. It’s the journey running into which of the above that matters and the bonds you create.

That said, ship scuttling and mic muting are a godsend for the griefers. Just today I downed my ship just for a toxic crew to waste their time sailing across the entire map just to watch me wave while I scuttled it again before they could get another shot off. Both times I managed to offload my loot before it got nabbed.

TL;DR - The code is great and all, but your mileage (knottage?) may vary with each encounter. If you feel irredeemably threatened by a particular user, report and soldier on. It’s a pirate’s life, after all. Safe travels.

Publicaciones
Visitas
9 de 29