how to have a great adventure!?

• I read a good post in Insiders and wanted to quote one sentence here to start my "suggestion" but also a question.

@strangeness wrote this...

MANY players knew this was a "build your own adventure" game. The new voyages, no matter how recycles, are about incentivizing that adventure.

I'm also one of the players who creates his own adventures.
    I wouldnt even need any journeys, reputation or progression system.

The problem the game has is like ever. It wants to make everybody happy.
    The pure PvP or PvE, the achievement hunters, the completionists, the explorers the socializers, the pro and hardcore, the casuals and the sandbox type players.
    This is for sure impossible!

What i think what this game is and wants to be is a mix of pve and pvp.
    It's also a mix for people doing achievements but also know how to make your own adventure and immerse and to play in and with the sandbox we have.
    Yeah we cant build anything, but it still feels like a sandbox to me because i can do whatever i want and there is no need to do anything.
    If i want to only sail around and never do a journey i can do so and i'd miss nothing significantly.
    I can avoid PvP or i can only PvP.
    Regarding the games tools not rules i can decide by myself what and how to do it.

I say if you partake in all aspects in a balanced way, you will experience a good adventure.
    If you focus on something you maybe wont and you will be disappointed.
    Achievers and completionists lacking to immerse are done someday, it's not just that and to please them it would need to have endless progression, because no matter what numbers you set, one day you will finish it and see no more to do, no more to enjoy. It's a self limitating aproach.

PvP only can have endless fun, but need to realize it needs to be balanced and give other playstyles a favor, else we could play a PvP deathmatch. All fine for Arena maybe. Also a limited aproach for Adventure as you maybe wont be satisfied and have a lack of challenging PvP and booty.
    It's not just PvP, but if you can immerse yourself you can do so and become a scourge of the sea.

PvE only - impossible by design, hurting themself by not seeing the reality that it is also an open PvP game. You can do a lot to avoid PvP, but to flee is already PvP.

What i want to say is, if you are only working off stuff or limit yourself, if you're not be able to immerse and create your own adventure you will get bored some day for sure.
    The journeys are fillers, yes!
    Its up to you to immerse and make your own adventure.
    This is not a themepark game.
    Yeah we have journeys and Tales and commendations, but only to incentivice to set sail and to immerse yourself beeing a pirate or whatever you want to be!

It's all done in some hours and then it's you who creates the storys.
    It's you who needs to cooperate, socialize and pvp to have that adventure. It's you who need to immerse and have fun.
    If you cannot, no game is able to please you forever, only your imagination and inner child can.

If you are here to enjoy the themepark elements only.
    Feel free to do so and know it has an end.
    If you want to play the game further start your own adventures.
    Do and go for self set goals or just say it's done and quit.
    If you focus on PvP or PvE only or if you focus completing only, you limit yourself and you will probably loose motivation and fun to do so.
    It's easily understandable.
    If you immerse and have fun to be a pirate or a sailor or whatever you wont loose the fun as you can use your imagination and the given tools to do so.

I have the most fun, if i have nothing to do, but to immerse myself to be more pirate, get more gold and more glory.

I need nothing added, i would even remove journeys, commendations and achievements and have a pure sandbox with messages in a bottle
    to enjoy it.

How do you make your own adventures?

Views
  • @bugaboo-bill said in how to have a great adventure!?:

If you immerse and have fun to be a pirate or a sailor or whatever you wont loose the fun as you can use your imagination and the given tools to do so.

I have the most fun, if i have nothing to do, but to immerse myself to be more pirate, get more gold and more glory.

I need nothing added, i would even remove journeys, commendations and achievements and have a pure sandbox with messages in a bottle
    to enjoy it.

How do you make your own adventures?

I spent the better part of 5+ hours using only a rowboat around the Ancinet Isles this evening. Doing things like that are way more fun for me than doing the monthly voyages over and over.
    I posted a thread about it called "Server Merging" earlier in this forum because I was curious as to the limits of rowboats, when I finally died the server merged and my beautiful rowboat was lost to the shroud...
    I tired to write it like green text if you fancy reading it.

• @bugaboo-bill

Now a days:
    My favorite way is to have a crew with a goal just to have a destination and objective.

Else I just sail at the first shiney thing I see out in the world and seek to steal from others if the opportunity arises.

The key to keep playing the game is to adapt, though I seek challenges. Variety is key!

• MANY players knew this was a "build your own adventure" game. The new voyages, no matter how recycles, are about incentivizing that adventure.

This is nothing but nonsense to try and defend an underdeveloped game. You can make your own adventure in any game. If this was a legit point then devs can just stop developing and make empty maps saying "Well you're supposed to make your own fun..." lol This statement also directly contradicts itself.
    "This is a "build your own adventure game" followed by "...are about incentivize that adventure." If you are supposed to make your own games then why in the world to you need incentives from the GAME?

• @betsill it isn't about defending the gsmes state. It is about what motivates him to play. The way he plays and why.

Everyone has their own goals and why they like the seas, this thread is made to ask how others play. How do you create your Adventure?

• @bugaboo-bill open crew no mic pirate who joins and helps on a whatever needs to be done for about 30 min to an hour. Then I sign out without turning in loot. My favorite is to join a fight and help turn it around. It is fun to be a mysterious sailor. Only wear the legendary belt everything else is mainly black dog from pre-purchase.

My game time is short. Not enough time for a full voyage. Arena sounded amazing, but it never lived to the hype as it took too long to start.

• I just kinda derp around looking for loot. I like that I don't need a voyage or objective. I can loot shipwrecks or just island hop looking for captains and loose treasures. The monthly pirate delivery assignments are fun too. I have a head canon for my particular pirate. Where she's from, what or who she's hiding from lol.

• @betsill

I'm trying and seeing the positive and wanted to post something different than critics.
    To me the game is mostly fine, also the Updates and given content i'm happy with.
    Sorry if you are upset and disappointed.

• @pithyrumble sagte in how to have a great adventure!?:

I just kinda derp around looking for loot. I like that I don't need a voyage or objective. I can loot shipwrecks or just island hop looking for captains and loose treasures. The monthly pirate delivery assignments are fun too. I have a head canon for my particular pirate. Where she's from, what or who she's hiding from lol.

It's what i do when solo and it's great ;-)

• @bugaboo-bill Being positive is fine, but I perceived the post as making excuses for Rare and downplaying the valid criticism. If I misunderstood then my bad.

• @betsill sagte in how to have a great adventure!?:

@bugaboo-bill Being positive is fine, but I perceived the post as making excuses for Rare and downplaying the valid criticism. If I misunderstood then my bad.

Tbh it's a mix of it.
    Some, but not all criticism is needed and right, but i wanted to also make some positive points and show how i aproach the game in a positive way and to overcome what some ate maybe missing because they dont immerse and only work it off or think it's a themepark.

Btw i also think to give these incentivices to grind off is wrong and misleading.
    Most gamers understand gaming like a themepark or something to work off.
    Rare putted in exactly that, some Achievements to work off and some Themepark Elements, but to me it's only bait and not needed.
    When people got through it they miss to immerse and make their own adventures like you have to do in most sandbox games what have no goals, but to create sour own story.
    Like i said the game attracts all styles and try to please everyone, but cant for sure.
    The best imho is to immerse and take what it's there to do your own adventures.

• I just want to sail in a treasure boat hoarding crazy amount of loot for as long as i float and i dont even want to sell it.

I like treasure boat

So i like voyages with nice shiny loot on small islands and hopping around collecting every glinting gem on the way.

If i succeed solo to gather a huge hoard i like to find a nice location and build a nice treasure picture and wait for someone to find it and also enjoy it i guess 🙆‍♂️

• @bugaboo-bill
    Last night I sat at daggertooth trying to decide what to do. I knew I would be solo and knew I'd prefer a rather relaxed voyage. So I decided to sail around in open waters to try and coax a meg. With a skeleton sloop sailing around in the battle near the reaper's hideout, I knew megs would be the only thing spawning to attack me.

After a while, I see a sloop sailing west past daggertooth and it eventually sails into the battle, so I take off south past throne cove and join the fight. While fighting the captain's galleon, we manage to have it sail between our two sloops all the way to the reaper's hideout, but before it crashed, it submerged. I had to reenter the battle area for a new one to spawn in that had no water inside. Before it went down, so did the other solo slooper. As I started pulling treasure from the water, I heard him thanking me for the help. He swam over and said I could keep the treasure because he is server hopping trying to get the legend cannons. I told him I was going to give him the treasure, and that I was just there to help. We talked a little about the ship battle mechanics and how things have changed. I told him how during my journey to 500, I dealt with some more difficult things, like eye of reach knockback, and anchor drops from cannonballs. There were easier times too though. I told him I didn't care for the cannons, I did it for the title.

After he left I turned everything in and had a grog while my ship burned and sank. I imagined hostile pirates hunting me and megs to fight, but ended up with a friendly pirate and skeleton ships. This game is unpredictable. I never know what I'll get into when I play.

• @testakleze the unpredictableness is what makes the adventure everyday for me. We always have a gameplan. But by the end it always changes. That is what makes it a perfect game it's the idea of not knowing what is next the very definition of a adventure in my opinion

• Right after my previous post, I hop on a solo sloop and before I even leave ancient spire, a brig allies with me. I take off into the wilds and after a good while, I find a reaper's chest. Before I go turn it in I head east to ally with a sloop fighting a meg. They ally and leave me to fight it alone. After killing it I sail towards the reaper's hideout as the sloop allies with another sloop.

Then as I'm sailing passed the sea dog's tavern, I look off my starboard side and see a guy in a rowboat. I give him a wave and say "Ahoy!" as I pass him. He ends up following me to the reaper's hideout where I offer him a captain's chest to turn in. He says he was part of a brig but everyone left, and without a ship, he took a rowboat to turn in the skulls he had. He didn't know which way to the outposts so he left picaroon palms following lights on the horizon, which was leading him to the sea dog's tavern. I showed him the map, giving him an idea of where he started, where he went, and where he wanted to go. Then as he turned in his stuff, I realized I was getting the alliance cut and I said "oh wait, your part of the brig I allied with at ancient spire!"

I wonder if he would have found his way to an outpost if I didn't run into him.

While this was happening, the two sloops allied with me were battling a third sloop around shipwreck bay. One of these sloops I was allied with was streaming and had a decent amount of treasure. I decided to go help my allies since both had already sank and one left. Right before I show up to the enemy sloop, the remaining allied sloop gets to them. In the distraction of the battle, I spot a rowboat loaded with treasure. I take it, following my ship to daggertooth while seeing a second rowboat with some treasure in the area, but I'm chased by the enemy sloop. I stash what I believe is the treasure of my ally and start fighting the enemy sloop on the outpost. Both my ship, and the enemy ship sink. The two enemy pirates die, but then my two allies turn on me. I attempt to communicate but they keep chasing me. Eventually I take them both out and row towards galleons grave while they respawn.

I wanted to give them their treasure back. I wanted to figure out what was going on. I was curious and was going to defend my alliance. I couldn't get any word from them though. I turned in what I still think was their treasure. Got a new ship, and sailed back to the area. I found the second rowboat with a few items, a third empty rowboat near it, then sailed to daggertooth. I couldn't find anything of mine but I noticed they sailed west before quitting. I tracked down where they had sank and was recovering what was left when the game glitched and I couldn't move anymore. I had to quit out but I was ok with that. It was fun having this shootout on the outpost. Shaky alliances and straight thievery make for tense moments. I flat out abandoned my ship at the sight of treasure in a rowboat. Originally with the intention of returning it to my alliance. Stolen treasure is sweeter though.

• @bugaboo-bill The more assets/content the game has the more immersive it is(if they are done well). SoT is very very limited in how you can interact with the world and that hurts immersion. Obviously you can still immerse yourself, but it's much easier because of things like realistic water, semi-authentic sailing mechanics, etc. The parts where Rare left the game undeveloped like combat, limited interaction with loot, extremely poor enemy Ai, etc hurt immersion. When 8 skeletons are chasing you, you jump on a row boat and you disappear to them(unless it's a gun skeleton), that destroys immersion for me. When I sail around and all these islands almost completely empty and only have something if you buy a map(why in the world can you just buy unlimited treasure maps?!) that destroys immersion for me.

• @betsill said in how to have a great adventure!?:

When 8 skeletons are chasing you, you jump on a row boat and you disappear to them(unless it's a gun skeleton), that destroys immersion for me.

Please Rare, DO NOT allow skeletons to throw their swords in anger cause you boared your ship. As funny as it would be my rowboating days are OVER! hahaha

• @sailorkek lol I was thinking more like attacking the boat to try and destroy it and/or climbing on.

• @betsill Phew!
    Yeah I really want sharks to attack rowboats with players/ animals aboard.

Just imagine having to side step a skeleton spearing you with his cutlass lol

• @sailorkek I would like a crocodile to play that roll of attacking rowboats. Maybe with a ticking sound so as to know one is close.

• @br0crastinat0r sagte in how to have a great adventure!?:

@sailorkek I would like a crocodile to play that roll of attacking rowboats. Maybe with a ticking sound so as to know one is close.

Amazing idea because of a ticking sound 😱

• @bugaboo-bill said in how to have a great adventure!?:

@br0crastinat0r sagte in how to have a great adventure!?:

@sailorkek I would like a crocodile to play that roll of attacking rowboats. Maybe with a ticking sound so as to know one is close.

Amazing idea because of a ticking sound 😱

Oh my god i never thought of that,
    Imagine if they added tinkerbell and you become a "lost boy" flying into the sea of thieves, only we the players are the ones to turned to piracy instead of following Peter Pan XD

Views
7 out of 23