[Mega Thread] Tall Tales Feedback

• @skritsarn said:

It's not rewarding enough to do every mission 4 times, but more importantly, they're simply not designed very well to be replayable.

So far, when I play Tall Tale #1, I have only got the Scarab and the Crab totems. I did have one another when playing the Insider game once; but I believe there are at least six distinct totems and different island you may be sent to. I want to experience them all! The variety is there. My only complaint is with random allocation, you might take you a while to get them appear for you.

Nevertheless, I still enjoying repeating the quests as much as I enjoyed doing more than one Gold Hoarder mission, and more than one Cargo Run. Were those missions more rewarding? If you follow your logic to its ludicrous conclusion, nothing is worth doing more than once. Either you would finish the game in a couple of weeks; or you would expect Rare to be churning out the equivalent of an Anniversary update a week, to keep you amused!

• @surveyorpete Yeah i know, on that one it seems like the only time you get a different island is if a crew is already doing the quest, which is just plain stupid imo. And there are some missions where i feel like the the replayability is there - but the majority, not so much, though.

But i'm not sure you get my point. They're very rewarding in terms of fun, but why are the GOLD rewards so low? If basically everything else in the game awards you proper amounts of gold, why not tall tales too? It feels so underwhelming to complete a 2hour+ long mission and see "3000g"... And i know i'm really not alone in feeling this.

• @skritsarn I feel your pain. Not only is the gold quite low but it does nothing to advance you along to Pirate Legend either (unless you just happen to come across some loot on the way). I do like the idea behind them. Just wish they were a bit more rewarding. On the flip side, we do get interesting items at the 5 times mark so after 10-ish hours, you get a ship item which equates to about 45k-ish plus 15K in gold so that isn't terrible.

Would be nice if they would fix some of the quest glitches though. I currently cannot progress through the last 3 Tall Tales because I can't pick up the blasted Ferryman's lantern.

• The shores of gold:
    At the first set of traps, the last spikes before the bridge that come out of the ground and roof; im really struggling to get passed, been over an hour now. I wait till they are fully down but cant run before they are out again. Whats the technique in passing this one? Could the timing or spacing be changed?

• @scoobywrx555 you can stop between them.

• @skritsarn said in [Mega Thread] Tall Tales Feedback:

@surveyorpete Yeah i know, on that one it seems like the only time you get a different island is if a crew is already doing the quest, which is just plain stupid imo. And there are some missions where i feel like the the replayability is there - but the majority, not so much, though.

But i'm not sure you get my point. They're very rewarding in terms of fun, but why are the GOLD rewards so low? If basically everything else in the game awards you proper amounts of gold, why not tall tales too? It feels so underwhelming to complete a 2hour+ long mission and see "3000g"... And i know i'm really not alone in feeling this.

Its not about the gold, its about the glory.

• @natiredgals so you can stop between the ones coming out of the roof and the ones out of the ground? Any particular side better?

Have watched vids where they dont even seem to run

• @scoobywrx555 I did it last by stopping and waiting along the left side after clearing the high ones.

• @natiredgals thanks i'll try to the left. im sure i was passing the high ones but had no time for the low ones.

• The only issues I’ve had with the Tall Tales are the same issues as other people seem to be having.

The battle with The Gold Hoarder, Briggsy and Graymarrow was ridiculously easy on a sloop, while on a brig or galleon the battle takes far too long to complete. The battles are very repetitive, with the bosses repeating the same dialogue over and over again, as well as spamming the same “big-bang” attack.

The worst part though, is having to finish each Tall Tale 5 times. Each tale was very enjoyable the first time completing it, but after the second and third time, my friends and I began to feel very bored and frustrated. While trying to complete the battles with The Gold Hoarder, Briggsy and Graymarrow, my friends and I actually decided to split up, taking turns helping each other complete the battles on a sloop since it takes SO LONG to complete the battles on a brig or a galleon.

Overall, I feel like the Tall Tales were a great addition to the Sea of Thieves. My friends and I have been coming up with stories for our own characters since the beta, so it’s nice to finally see a story mode for some of the NPCs in-game. It makes the whole experience much more immersive for all of us. The only suggestions I have for the devs would be:

1. In future Tall Tales, reduce the amount of times players have to complete the Tall Tales. Instead of having to complete each story 5 times, perhaps change that number to 3 times?
    2. Make sure each boss battle is well-balanced, with proper amounts of health when you have more players. Adding more dialogue to each fight, as well as more attack patterns, would also make repeating each battle feel more exciting.

That’s all from me and my crew, and I wanna say thank you guys at Rare for always listening to your fans, and trying to bring us the best experience possible!

-Sincerely,
    Captain Goldfingers
    Elizabeth Groggs
    Maria Reales

• I think the boss battles on a solo sloop is just right.

However the last spikes in the first set of traps next to the bridge in TT9 need chopping up haha. no, seriously...

• @mythicmew151 Aye, I feel this is terrific feedback for the Tall Tales, cheers mate :)

• well I spent 2.5 plus hours finishing the shores of gold. Beat the final boss and couldn't get out of the vault, the door never opened. Killed by skeletons and respawned on my sloop, RIP handing in pirate lord skull for 15k or whatever its worth. Mother fawker.

• They need pants for the morningstar outfit.

• My crew recently completed running through all the tales once. We had a blast and outside of waiting on the fix for the Ferryman’s lantern, we didn’t run into any major issues. There is only one major questionable decision we feel was made by the developers. Why aren’t all the quest items built into the quest wheel (except for the final reward skull)? This would solve all the griefing complaints by players about items being lost or stolen during quests. As far we can tell, there wouldn’t be any downside.

Also, while I’m sure there are technical limitations, the shores of gold should probably be its own instance loaded for the crews doing it. We haven’t had issues of other crews being there at the same time, but there is too much indoor time to have to worry about your ship and whether or not your going to be in a fight at the end.

All in all, like I said, a lot of fun was had figuring out the puzzles and solving the various quests.

• got the ancient spyglass, little disappointed you dont get to see signs in the stars with it

• Whilst I was just discussing ideas in a PvE server discussion, I think I just came up with a great but obvious idea for tall tales.

New tall tales that require and encourage cooperation and interaction with other crews in the same way that the hungering deep, cursed sails and some of the bilge rat adventures had.

Thoughts ?

• @troubled-cells
    Havnt done any Tall Tales but your wish is my worry.
    I worry about finding players to help after some time has past.
    This was a huge problem with Hungering Deep.
    I like that i can do them anytime by myself, which is why im not rushing now.
    I also understand other players would love this, so its not like i will quit or anything if this happened.
    Its actually a really good idea honestly mate.

• @troubled-cells said in [Mega Thread] Tall Tales Feedback:

Whilst I was just discussing ideas in a PvE server discussion, I think I just came up with a great but obvious idea for tall tales.

New tall tales that require and encourage cooperation and interaction with other crews in the same way that the hungering deep, cursed sails and some of the bilge rat adventures had.

Thoughts ?

No please lol. I like soloing things. Maybe instead of requiring 2 or more crews, make it optional for crews to join each other. Of course, could you imagine the complaints about the boss fights with 2 galleons? 😫🧜‍♀️
    I thought the difficulty was just right for a 2 man sloop.

Feedback: On Shores of Gold, stop making the skeletons respawn once you defeat them or backtrack too far. On the 2nd set the skellies can spawn camp you similar to the greifers.

• I submitted a support ticket already but I am curious if anyone else has run into the same issue of not being able to find the journals for fate of the morning star. im finding the journals for every other tall tale, just not this one

• @pithyrumble said in [Mega Thread] Tall Tales Feedback:

@troubled-cells said in [Mega Thread] Tall Tales Feedback:

Whilst I was just discussing ideas in a PvE server discussion, I think I just came up with a great but obvious idea for tall tales.

Thoughts ?

No please lol. I like soloing things. Maybe instead of requiring 2 or more crews, make it optional for crews to join each other. Of course, could you imagine the complaints about the boss fights with 2 galleons? 😫🧜‍♀️
    I thought the difficulty was just right for a 2 man sloop.

Feedback: On Shores of Gold, stop making the skeletons respawn once you defeat them or backtrack too far. On the 2nd set the skellies can spawn camp you similar to the greifers.

Good suggestion, maybe a better suggestion would be to have noticeable scalable difficulty as well according to the number of players taking part.

Having a singular difficulty in a multiplayer game like this is a bit of a huge oversight in my opinion. It feels like it's nowhere near as good as it could be to me if it's already there

On a side note I really think amount of rewards / purchasable items needs to be improved, the frequency to which new ones appear doesn't feel often now and there's zero challenge in obtaining them.

• @takuboto what the heck is up with Briggsy!?! I get there needs to be a certain level of challenge but some aspects of that NPC enemy are ridiculous.

1. Her area of attack ability... while that in general isn't an issue, when you see her charging to use it it should either take longer and the area of effect not as large to allow the player to actually move to safety OR the ability to interrupt her use of it. if NPC's are able to interrupt player actions, the same should be true of players.

2. The amount of time it takes to take her down is ridiculous. Making a boss character challenging is one thing, but doesn't mean the requirement should take players a ridiculous amount of time to do. BUT if it does.... at least the payouts should be a HECK of a lot more. I spent almost 45min battling her in one instance... for all of 3,000 gold, when a skull fort's payout for less time spent is almost ten times that amount.

Overall... it's not just the challenge that should be awarded accordingly, time should also be a consideration. If something is challenging OR takes a significant amount of the player's time to do... the gold payout should be equal to that combined effort/dedication. As it stands right now... aside from a commendation (that I have no desire obtaining presently) there is no incentive to want to go back and do that particular tall tale ever again. It's time wasted when other re-playable elements payouts are significantly better.

• @rajalia agree 100%. Also, it is frustrating that you don't have any clue whatsoever how far you are beating Briggsy. I know SoT is low on HUD elements, but a health bar for bosses would be much appreciated. At some point I thought there was a special trick to it, which if there is I completely missed it.

• Like others mentioned Future Lords must be unique and special Encounters! I love this game to the core but, it’s lame that every Skeleton Lord is only an re-Skin of Briggsy! Rare use your imagination there so cool abilities and attacks you can give Future Lords!

Fire Lord—> Fireballs, Flamethrower, Flame Dot, An burning Shield that protects the Lord...

Ice Lord—> Freeze, Blizzard, Frosty Slow, the Lord can turn you or himself in an Ice Block...

Poison Lord—> Can poison you, can spawn Snakes,

Shadow Lord—> Can teleport behind you in your Shadow, can turn in an Shadow and make Him invulnerable, can attack you with shadow bats...

Storm Lord—> Can sweep you away with strong winds, can spawn an little twister, can attack you with an concentrated air pressure attack...

Sand Lord—> Sand Storm, can spawn mummys, can spawn scorpions, can heat up the environment and create a drought...

Thunder Lord—> Can create Thunder, can strike you with an lightning Bolt...

Other cool abilities

-An Ability that can manipulate the Gravitation

-an Ability that can switch position with you

-an Ability that can turn you in an Skeleton for an short amount Of time

And so on, so many new and interesting ways, please Rare make unique Lord encounters

• This game has been a disaster for me when I've played it solo, and it's particularly frustrating that one person can ruin a Tall Tale for you. Why isn't there some way of preserving progress on the story related voyages like this? Losing some loot on a company voyage is one thing, but losing an hour and a half of progress on a Tale because someone is mean is very discouraging. I don't always have friends to play with when I want to play and I end up getting punished for trying to enjoy this game on my own. It was cool that you added proper story voyages to the game, but the fact that hours of progress can he lost in an instant when your sloop is sunk by a gunpowder barrel really sucks. Couldn't you have the Tale-related items spawn with you when you get a new ship? Not necessarily the valuable ones you sell, but the Tale-related items that are only valuable to you because they allow you to get to the next stage. I would definitely play this game more if it were viable by myself, and perhaps even consider buying cosmetics with money once that is an option.

• @dr-goldfoot pro tip, never do anything solo in this game. number 1, you will most likely be attacked and you will probably lose. number 2, doing stuff solo is boring, well for me idk about you. and finding people to play with is incredibly ease, just go on the official sot discord server and type something in the LFC chat and you'll find someone to play with in minutes.

• @dr-goldfoot said in [Mega Thread] Tall Tales Feedback:

Couldn't you have the Tale-related items spawn with you when you get a new ship? Not necessarily the valuable ones you sell, but the Tale-related items that are only valuable to you because they allow you to get to the next stage.

I agree with this. I've lost my Tall Tale voyages in the past right near the end due to random things like a kraken encounter when I was very low on cannonballs, or other players giving chase and while we traded off with killing each other a few times, the end result was them sinking my ship and taking everything, including my chest with my Tall Tale item inside of it, or another time when other players sunk my ship with my Tall Tale item in it, and I respawned far away on a new Brig, rushed back there and it was gone/despawned and went to the bottom of the Sea. 2 hours of work, gone.

I agree with making anything worth selling just for gold up for grabs. Other pirates can take it, you can lose it, it's gone. 100%, that's fine. But for the specific Tall Tale items that are required for the SOLE purpose of story progression, no. Other players should not be able to interact with that if it's yours and your Tall Tale is active, and if you lose your ship and die and get respawned at a new island, that ONE story-related Tall Tale item should be sitting in your ship with you upon spawn.

This stuff has happened to me 3 or 4 times as I'm repeating each Tall Tale for the achievements of doing each one 5 times. 😭

Also, on the subject, this happened last night. Me and my partner were doing the Wild Rose Tall Tale for the 5th and final time, for the achievement. We also fought about 3 Megaladons while venturing around, searched several shipwrecks that we passed, fished a bit and turned them in to a Sea Post, did a chicken mission for the Merchants at the same time the Tall Tale was active, etc. We basically were just enjoying the game while doing the Tall Tale. We'd spent close to 3 hours playing and got the Tall Tale finished. We were happy, we were about to get our achievement. 😊👏🎉The last and final step was to hand in the last 2 pendants to the Order of Souls. We went to Sanctuary, went in the Order of Souls building, and gave them to the lady. She was happy and began her speech and little cut scene. At that instant, we looked outside the door and thought we saw a ship coming around the island. He said, "Is that a ship?" So I ran out to look as well. Turns out, it was. We ran back to our sloop and began raising the anchor to turn and put them in alignment with our cannons. They fired a few cannon shots as they passed, but kept going. So, once they were a safe distance away, we went back to the Order of Souls lady as our notification that the Tall Tale was done never popped on the screen, and surely she was done talking by now. We went in there, and she was just standing there. Doing nothing. Just looking at us. We checked our commendations, and it didn't show complete. We looked at the Tall Tale activation point on the barrel to the left of her, and there was no option to start it, meaning that it was still active. He ran back and checked on our ship, and sure enough, the Tall Tale was still active on our mission table, with the option to Cancel it. It was glitched. We had already given her the items, we didn't have them anymore. But apparently when we left the Order of Souls room as she was talking, it made her stop talking and never finish her cut scene to end the Tall Tale and give us our achievement. So she was just standing there like she normally does, with her normal speech options, and our Tall Tale was still active, but we couldn't finish it (again). The final turn-in items had already been picked up and turned in. Noooo..... 🤔😲😭😣😥💔 RIP Wild Rose...

We were about to turn the game off. At the last minute, after a deep sigh, wanting to finish our Tall Tale, we decided to just do it again. So we ran to the boat, cancelled the TT, restarted it at the Order of Souls, and did it all again. This time, no fishing, no shipwrecks, no chicken missions, no distractions. Well, except for a Megaladon maybe lol. We got it done in about an hour or a little under. Turned it in, made sure we stood in the Order of Souls building the whole time she spoke, and it worked. It finished properly and we got our achievements.

So, lesson learned, if you are in the Order of Souls doing the last turn in for a TT, and she begins her cut scene, don't leave. Even if a ship comes, just bid farewell to your ship if you have to. If you leave, it's RIP to your Tall Tale and hours of work. Which makes me wonder though, if another ship did come to the outpost while you're in there, or a pirate cannoned himself over to it quickly and ran in the Order of Souls and saw you and you guys started figting, and you got killed while the Order of Souls lady was still talking in her cut scene to end the Tall Tale, would you lose your Tall Tale then as well? It seems like you would. This, to me, needs to be changed so you don't lose all your progress.

As you pass milestones in your Tall Tales, they should be hard saved to your game, so that if anything happens, you only get reset back to your last progress milestone. For instance, if you get the final 2 pendants in Wild Rose, a hard save triggers. If you turn them in and she's starting her cutscene, but then you have to leave her building or you get killed and respawn, then if anything, the 2 pendants should be back on your ship so you can turn them in again. If your ship gets sunk as well, then they should be on your ship when you get respawned with it at a new island. Yes, you have to go back to the outpost and turn them in again, but that's ok. It's much better than losing everything and starting all over. Especially when you already have to do each Tall Tale 5 times for an achievement anyway. 💜

• This is not directly Tall Tales related but it's more apparent there than anywhere else: Getting lost in translation. Sea of Thieves installs a translated version of the game depending on your system language (i.e. German in my case) and it's not possible to change that. It's great that the game is available in many languages, but just let us choose the one we prefer. Basically any other game or game store has this option.

So in Tall Tales it kinda ruins the atmosphere and some of the jokes for me. Also I guess there are non-German speakers in Germany as well as non-French speakers in France and I just don't get how this can not be fixed easily.

• I've failed the Legendary Storyteller Tale twice due to a server merge. I even avoided dropping anchor after it happened the first time, but I was merged after alt tabbing for less than 60 seconds. I didn't even realized it at first, but when I attempted to dig up the location I decided to check the journal first, voila no journal!

Nearly 4 hours of combined playtime for nothing! This is a very frustrating occurence and I beg you all to give this issue some attention. There needs to be some sort of failsafe or progress-save for these so that when stuff like this happens we don't just have to sail all the way back to the origin outpost and start again.

Sincerely,
    A very frustrated solo player

• Opinion warning!
    My friend and I played through Tall Tales on a sloop, start to finish, and had an incredible time! Up until there was a boss fight. And boy, we were bitter during the Gold Hoarder-one...

It's not challenging. It's frustrating. The combination of not having a combat progress element in the game (visual changes to the boss behaviour, model, or just even a health bar of some sort) and the bullet spongy nature of the bosses made for a very sour and disappointing ending to the exploratory marvel that was the journey to Shores of Gold. Briggsy and Graymarrow were tolerable, mostly because of what we can only guess was the smaller health pool and the lower amount of minions.

With no real tactic to combat shooting skellies other than timing your hits and hoping the boss didn't spawn a bunch that took an alternate path your way to blunderbuss you to bits in the back while you try and scoop up as many skellies as you can in a swing, solely dependent on where they started aiming at you when you engaged them in close combat.

The Gold Hoarder fight was nothing but a frustrating finale to us. We didn't feel adventurous, we didn't feel skillful, we didn't feel like pirates. We felt like two blokes running about, trying to loot in-game containers for heals as we did drive-by shots on an NPC for damage before getting swamped by annoying damage sources, getting spawned in at about the same rate we could mechanically strike them down.

We are both unsure of if the problem lies inherently with the land combat not exactly being tactically deep, but surely there must be some way to spice up the final fight instead of just rehashing the Briggsy/Graymarrow one, albeit with a higher health pool and faster minion spawns. If the boss fights got a bit more love and thought, this would've been a great wrap-up on a terrific journey! For a game where we constantly get baffled by attention to detail and clever design that ties into the core elements of the game, we were very disappointed over how the finale could feel so uninventive and derivative.

With all that said, we're still enjoying the game and can't for what you peeps at Rare come up with next! And maybe, we'll get some cool land combat encounters one day...
    :)

• When doing “revenge of the Morningstar” tall tale, when we had to dig up the captains skull to summon gray marrow at cannon cove, one riddle we got twice, we were unable to dig up the skull at both times and I’m fairly confident we got the riddle right, there just was no skull to dig up.

“From cave camp face NE walk 7 face North Star, walk when rock, face setting sun, walk when tree, face NW walk 3 dig”

Normally I’m not upset if a quest glitches but I haven’t been able to complete it once due to this.

Thank you for reading this

• Doing the Shores of Gold tall tale, the following bug was encountered...

If you enter the final boss room, you can snipe down the boss and get him to "wake up" and walk around, but not get initial aggro- lights turn on but music does NOT. If you snipe enough, it will kill the boss and he drops his skull. However, this does not grant the quest credit. It allowed us to farm the boss for the skull, then he reset by us getting killed by skeletons that summoned after being in the room for a while.

• Bug in Tall Tale #2

https://www.seaofthieves.com/forum/topic/111203/enchanted-compass-bug-in-the-cursed-rogue

• This encounter happened when doing a Tall Tale—However is more connected to respawning in game any time....

I have a request that maybe would impact playability of the game.. Improvement in nature. Once anyone dies, while fighting to defend their ship, while on the respawn black loading screen you can instantly die. I think that it would be a positive impact to the game to be granted a few second of immunity to come back into the game, rather than to die right off the bat when you cannot defend yourself at all... I believe this would benefit the game in a positive way because continually getting spawn killed on a black screen is a nuisance and quite frankly sucks when you are trying to defend the spoils of your sailing adventure.

Yo Ho.

-LincolnAssassin

• Good evening, basically I have two questions. Question one will it ever be possible to get the full Magpie Ship set. I have the cannons and the sails and I kind of want the hull, capstan, and maybe the figurehead (I kind of like the anniversary figurehead so I might keep that on). If you could, I think it would be cool to add the new pieces as final rewards for completing all objectives of future tall tales. I know a bunch of people that would also love to have these ship parts. Second question, will it ever be possible to name your ship. I want to sail the sea of thieves with all Magpie ship pieces (except for maybe the figurehead), with my ship named either "Magpie's Wing" or "Magpie's Wing MK. 2". You could also add it as a future Tall Tale reward.

Views
81 out of 105