RIP Cheeky Monkey

• So my monkey's name was Cheeky Monkey. It worked well in chat lol. I find all my pet names deleted. Started renaming them. Suddenly Cheeky Monkey isn't appropriate. I'm a sad pirate. 😭

We had a good run lil' buddy.

(Saturday Night Live reference btw...)
    Edit:

GOOD NEWS EVERYONE!

Monkey is now Cheeky Gremlin 😁

Views
  • Not to mention I can say Cheeky Monkey on the forums 🤣

• Rip Cheeky Monkey
    Hello Cheeky Gremlin

• I guess this new name filter is at fault, that calling monkeys as... Well, monkeys is considered bad now.

But gremlin also fits for a little hairy rascal.

• @kalgert

After playing with it had an '○' moment.
    May also change to goblin instead of gremlin.

Glad I can still be cheeky in my names 🙊

• awww well you have a cool new name :D at least you know the reference.

• Welcome to 2022. Where calling a monkey - monkey can be found offensive ...smfh....

• @zig-zag-ltu Sadly it's not monkeys being called monkeys that will have caused this.

It's people on the internet, being people on the internet again :(

• @musicmee I am still not sure what this answer has to do with you not being able to use the word "Monkey" though.

Is this one of those instances like it was with Dungeons and Dragons where no one but a small handful of people decided to say that a race of monkey people was somehow bad because of reasons? Similar to how they thought Orcs were bad?

Edit: I should add that I am asking because it seems to me that there is a trend of adding these sorts of limitations because of an artifically created problem. Like I said with the example of the Orcs: For the longest time no one said anything about them, but then some people came in and started saying they are bad and equated them to a group of people.

... I will be honest, but this is just me saying it: If someone suddenly equate Orcs or monkeys to a group of people, it ought to tell more about them than anything else.

• @musicmee said in RIP Cheeky Monkey:

@zig-zag-ltu Sadly it's not monkeys being called monkeys that will have caused this.

Imo it is ridiculous and this works the opposite direction in the long term.

For example. Let's say I come from a certain part of the world. Let's say people tend to call people from my part of the world 'Apples'. Am I an apple? No. If some place enforces people not to use word apple, that only indicates some truth to those people calling me an apple. Otherwise why would it matter? You can choose one of the many swear words/insults, but when normal words become a problem, people against usage of them are a part of the problem.

It's like that old saying,

Tough times create hard men
    Hard men create good times
    Good times create weak men
    Weak men create tough times

Times have gotten good, so now animal names offend people.. Buckle up boys.

Just my nonsense ramble on the matter. Monkey is a cute animal and nothing else officially.

• @kalgert @zig-zag-ltu The issue arises mainly because "Monkey" has historically been a slang/slur for POC folks. It has very unpleasant history and usage and is still prevalent today, as such, in some "censored words" algorithms, "Monkey" no matter how innocent will be found to be potentially offensive or used with malicious intent. @musicmee was correct in his point that "People on the internet will be people on the internet" because there is always that one edgy individual who thinks they're funny, let alone actual malicious people. I myself have seen the odd despicable ship name using "Monkey" or even "Slave" which isn't inherently a racist word either, but also has incredibly negative history. It's mostly a case of "Better safe than sorry" with these sorts of things, has nothing to do with people being soft, or pedantics with words, it's just basic respect.

• I mean if the game gets to call them monkeys, and people in real life get to call them monkeys and if they ARE monkeys, I should get to call them monkeys.

• @kalgert @zig-zag-ltu Sadly! A minority use this term as a racial and defamatory slur.

Sea of Thieves being a global game needs to do what it can to protect all players and as such, this is just one of those terms lost to a group of players that cannot be trusted to name their pets correctly and not use the term in a racist/defamatory way.

• I think REALwebber69 raises a valid point though; this does seem like a problem that Rare created for themselves by including monkeys in the game. A wholly foreseeable problem, given that 'people on the internet are people on the internet', to paraphrase Musicmee.

Additionally, given the vile language pirates can be exposed to over (largely unmoderated) chat, Rare banning the use of the word monkey in regards to pet-naming seems feckless.

• Since I would like to continue posting a narrative in the "Redemption Arc" thread, I'll avoid discussing this topic because I am wholeheartedly aware how people are when it comes to discussing this.

So I'll just say this: To me this seems like a manufactured problem that has been thought up of on a dime, and I disagree with it. Nay, I reject this decision. Especially since the word's been fine for four years up 'till now.

• @kalgert

I am not going to derail the thread by debating the D&D Hadozee controversy, however I will direct you to what I believe is a good summary of exactly why some of the images and lore needed to be changed. There are those that disagree, of course, however in general if we can avoid comparisons to certain tropes or stereotypes, etc, why not?

https://www.reddit.com/r/DnD/comments/x2n83s/an_indepth_summary_of_the_hadozee_controversy/

Also, like I said I'm not looking to derail the thread, so if you have any thoughts/feelings about this post or the link that you feel you need to divulge please message me privately. I'm putting this out publicly in case anyone else was curious as to what you were talking about and wants to look into it themselves.

• Sorry to hear about your pet's name! It is always unfortunate when the most hateful among us ruin something for those that are mindful of such things, however I agree it is better to protect members of the community by erring on the side of over-stringent rather than allow those who would abuse such privileges to do so to harm others.

• @musicmee
    My crewmate's monkey, "ChimChim" lost his name too. is this for a similar reason?

• @musicmee Wait, so does that mean I won't be able to also call my Galleon "The Mad Monkey" or "The Headless Monkey" after Monkey Island and its subsequent easter egg in The Pirate's Life Chapter 1? Why do people have to go and ruin the good things.

• @capn-lucky5984 Ok... that one is one I don't know why it is blocked. Might be worth raising a ticket for that one if you'd like to use it.

Rare do use third-party lists/services for these kinds of things as well as their own moderation tools so maybe this slipped in or is maybe from another part of the world where this terminology is an issue.

• @capn-lucky5984 said in RIP Cheeky Monkey:

@musicmee
    My crewmate's monkey, "ChimChim" lost his name too. is this for a similar reason?

Speed Racer?

• @pithyrumble Speed Racer??

• @capn-lucky5984 said in RIP Cheeky Monkey:

@pithyrumble Speed Racer??

Was it named Chimchim after the monkey character in Speed Racer?

• I’ll ask

• @pithyrumble Yeah, it was.

• No one cares

• @aerohorse3 dang, that was rude.

• What about "Cheeky Chimp"? does that still work?

• @musicmee said in RIP Cheeky Monkey:

@zig-zag-ltu Sadly it's not monkeys being called monkeys that will have caused this.

If that was the case then Rare should ban the individual doing that and not ban the name for everyone to use. If this keeps going then every noun or pronoun can technically be used or warped to seem offensive, defamatory, sexist, or racial. Even pets themselves can be used to express racist or defamatory acts, that doesn't mean that they should be removed.

I don't support this type of behavior, but there has to be a way for us to be better than this, to find a better solution than pushing towards an era of censorship and where anything that is said or done may be taken to be insulting or uncomfortable

• @red0demon0 My sentiments exactly.

At the end of the day, I find it very much wrong to say that these "Groups of people" are able to have such a strong control over words and such, that it makes people bend in ways to make them remove normal, regular words from usage. Especially with how many languages there are and how words have different meanings in each of them.

If the approach is to add words to a filter because "Players can't be trusted with them", then we might as well remove any and all chat and naming functionalities from the game, and just have premade names and messages to choose from.

• @hijack-hayes just sayin what some are thinking

• @musicmee this is out of control

• @qu1etone Agreed :)

The query has been addressed so will drop anchor for now :)

cheers!

Views
32 out of 33