Solo play in sea of thieves

• @mintharp184509 a dit dans Solo play in sea of thieves :

Well there you have it folks. The official message is don’t solo sloop.

The official message is if you want a challenge, solo sloop. If you want it easier, don't.

@bongosell a dit dans Solo play in sea of thieves :

@bloodybil Yea the problem is that you don’t “voluntarily choose”, you’re forced. If you have no one to play with and don’t want to join an open crew...

You really do. I started the game solo, played around 150h until it became a bit stale. I wanted people to play with but couldn't convince my friends to give it a go. I hopped on discord, asked around and ended joining a playgroup of like minded pirates. It litteraly took me less than 24h (ymmv ofc) and I've been a happy Pirate ever since. We've eventually met IRL, touched grass together, drank a bit too much (etc). The youngest member of our group is 19yo, the oldest 45. We have parents that can play once a week, students, some are in-between jobs, some work way too much... Anybody can find people they feel comfortable playing with honestly. Hop on Discord and find out ! :)

So yeah, it's definitely a choice to play alone for 99% of players.

• @bongosell, Solo play in sea of thieves içinde yazdı:

@meroviel It’s a real shame to hear that there are no thoughts about solo servers being added. I 100% think that it would only be positive. It wouldn’t be splitting up the player base, it would be balancing it. I find it odd that solo sloops are even recognised as hard mode yet practically nothing is done. Keeping things the way there are force this side of the player base to be stuck with unfair battles that they have no chance of winning. Sloop on sloop would make practically everything fair for solo players. Voyages, ship fights, player fights, tall tales, world events, alliances and basic decisions would all be more fair. There are practically no downsides.

As a solo slooper myself, No.

People often forget what REALLY makes this game uniqe. All types of players are thrown into the same server creating player interaction that you cant see in any other game.

Also a decent solo slooper can defend themselves. I go after galleons without a thought for example.

• @grog-minto said in Solo play in sea of thieves:

@mintharp184509 a dit dans Solo play in sea of thieves :

Well there you have it folks. The official message is don’t solo sloop.

The official message is if you want a challenge, solo sloop. If you want it easier, don't.

This. Even with solo servers, there will always be skill level gaps and "toxic" people around regardless. People will find ways to complain about stuff, the same way people who wanted opt-out of crossplay then complained about console generations performance discrepancies and so on. It will be never enough. Buffs for solo sloops have been added, but people would like PVP encounters to scale like for the kraken and megalodon. There are always excuses.

@bongosell a dit dans Solo play in sea of thieves :

@bloodybil Yea the problem is that you don’t “voluntarily choose”, you’re forced. If you have no one to play with and don’t want to join an open crew...

You really do. I started the game solo, played around 150h until it became a bit stale. I wanted people to play with but couldn't convince my friends to give it a go. I hopped on discord, asked around and ended joining a playgroup of like minded pirates. It litteraly took me less than 24h (ymmv ofc) and I've been a happy Pirate ever since. We've eventually met IRL, touched grass together, drank a bit too much (etc). The youngest member of our group is 19yo, the oldest 45. We have parents that can play once a week, students, some are in-between jobs, some work way too much... Anybody can find people they feel comfortable playing with honestly. Hop on Discord and find out ! :)

So yeah, it's definitely a choice to play alone for 99% of players.

Yup, there are already plenty of ways to find crews to play with, open crew / discord / xbox group finder / LFC forum / steam communities, but people refuse to use them and then act like they are forced at gunpoint to play with a handicap, that they chose to have. I get it, I love to play solo as well, sometimes I don't feel like talking and just want to do things on my own, but ultimately I have options and it's my choice if I decide not to take them. No one else. Nothing to be upset about, nothing to be "fixed" by the devs, not even something they hand wave away, it's a multiplayer game and it always has been, always will be.

• @mintharp184509, Solo play in sea of thieves içinde yazdı:

I would like to see the community manager person who also streams on twitch show us the solo sloop life with the intention of logging on to sink other crews.

I want to see more Rare staff show us (stream) the solo sloop life preferably on controller. I would love to see it. Show us how easy it is to sink full crews.

Watch Blurbs. Done.

@thorumsu said in Solo play in sea of thieves:

@mintharp184509, Solo play in sea of thieves içinde yazdı:

I would like to see the community manager person who also streams on twitch show us the solo sloop life with the intention of logging on to sink other crews.

I want to see more Rare staff show us (stream) the solo sloop life preferably on controller. I would love to see it. Show us how easy it is to sink full crews.

Watch Blurbs. Done.

I watch Blurbs and he is by no means a good representation of an average player.

Do average players experiences not matter?

An avarage player won't be able to PVP in any ship. So your argument is pointless. Experience and knowledge is required to win.

Watch Blurbs. Done.

I watch Blurbs and he is by no means a good representation of an average player.

Do average players experiences not matter?

An avarage player won't be able to PVP in any ship. So your argument is pointless. Experience and knowledge is required to win.

I feel the same about your last response. Now what?

At least I gave a reason for it...

• @thorumsu Experience and knowledge can only take you so far, some situations are literally impossible.

• @bongosell said in Solo play in sea of thieves:

@thorumsu Experience and knowledge can only take you so far, some situations are literally impossible.

As in any game really, winning and losing are part of the experience. Sometimes you had a situation in the bag and you mess up, sometimes you had no way out and you get lucky even when odds are against you. And as Jean-Luc Picard once said:

It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.

• @bongosell I disagree. Solo play is tedious, how many people would be ‘inspired’ to ditch their friends for a bit to play a solo sloop? Not many. I’d stick to regular servers.
    You are not going to learn how to deal with bigger ships effectively if these were introduced. The only reason my friend and I can bring down galleons and brigs so easy is because we’ve been fighting for ages, solo or in a crew.

I understand how you feel, but this solution doesn’t fix it. I’m sure there are plenty of people who would help you get a crew, though!

• How would one learn to "get better" aka get better to handle "defeat" brigs and galleon's on and sloop server?

And what would give a "reason" to join the normale server(s) if one can somewhat control the level of risk of what one are to face on sloop servers...

• @meroviel Ahoy! Most of the implemented changes were very positive!
    However, the reduced respawn times is a big buff for bigger crews, even with solo sloopers having a 5 sec faster respawn timer. This shorter timer made the life of a solo slooper much harder on a PvP encounter.
    I believe the timer should start at 15sec for solos and with an increment of 5 sec per crewmember, making the timer a function of the crew size (not ship type) to make it more fair if a crew is not complete.

• hello, just thought i'd pop in and give my opinion.
    I solo sloop quite a lot during weekdays, as my friend I play with regualry is usually only avilable on weekends. During these sessions, I've been ambushed, slaughtered and sunk by many things, including crews way bigger than me. When that happens, I just keep my chin up and soilder on. Being sunk is part of the game. Everyone has a target on their back, whether they are a newbie solo sloop with no loot, or the most experinced, intimadating, full crew galleon. When I lose or get sunk, I think "This is just part of the experince." I don't see those who sunk me as "toxic" unless they truly are toxic; I mostly see them as being more cunning, stronger or experinced than I am. I am by no means a PVP player. I barely have pvp'd before and prefer to just ignore other ships. However, we don't always get what we want, and we have to deal with that. Sloops are statistically the fastest when not with the wind, and have a stronger masts then most, as well as being harder to hit, making fleeing battles easier for sloops. Now I'm not saying "just flee lol." do whatever you want. Scuttle, redsea, sail away or fight, board and ambush. What I'm trying to say is that the sea of thieves are ruthless. And with such a ruthless sea, it's almost inevtable the strong are gonna try to pick on the weak. But the seas are also unpredictable. There is always that chance, no matter how small, that the weak will prevail.
    -The real webber

• I don't know what you guys are doing wrong but hardly anybody bothers my sloop. (Which is fine by me lol)

• Even if you are terrible at combat and don't feel like practicing it, solo slooping is still viable and entertaining. First of all you can omit the emissary flag if you don't want Reaper 5 ships to see you, although i find this to be a rare issue, i always sail out with emissary flags unless i'm doing a Tall Tale.

Mostly you just have to be very aware of what is going on around you. Check the horizon often, especially before you go do something on an island. You can spot a ship and set sail in the other direction. If they chase you, jump off and board them a few times, anchor them, set them on fire, etc. If you have a keg it's time to party, because now you can try to blow them up as well and possibly even sink them without even having to engage in ship to ship or player to player combat. Pester and slow them down enough and they probably won't even be able to see your ship anymore.

• Once skull and bones comes out this game is gonna did very fast since they won't allow solo severs. Solos will be a viable option in that game and by the time the devs in this game actually acknowledged that there's gonna be all of 10 people still on this pos game

• @shdy0grady said in Solo play in sea of thieves:

Once skull and bones comes out this game is gonna did very fast since they won't allow solo severs. Solos will be a viable option in that game and by the time the devs in this game actually acknowledged that there's gonna be all of 10 people still on this pos game

Completely different game, it merely shares a theme

• @mintharp184509 said in Solo play in sea of thieves:

The devs and CS people don’t play solo it’s very obvious. Therefore they won’t understand. Usually I see the CS lady on twitch in a large ship. Oh well, solo sloopers who aren’t of Blurbs caliber simply don’t expect to ever enjoy PvP.

Solo pvp content is pretty irrelevant to the organic solo experience. They largely don't take risks, they largely don't produce. They are creating action content where their experience is VERY different than the experience of a solo that plays organically.

I solo'd a majority of what I have done. I'm not as tdm skilled as any of the popular pvp focused content creators and I don't need to be because what we are doing is very very different.

A solo doesn't need to be the best at fighting or even great at it.

Organic play as a solo is chess, it's not street fighting

strategy strategy strategy

adapting, learning, implementing

consistency, efficiency, focus

minimizing losses

focusing on naval

• @wolfmanbush Good point about the streamers gameplay choices. I've done almost all my Cargo runs and all of the Legend of the sea island visits solo. Really enjoy sailing in peace and figuring out the optimal spots and positions to park in while cargoing. Fully aware that nobody would want to watch me doing that! Actively seeking out pvp hasn't often ended well but that's ok, it's not what I'm after when alone.

• @wolfmanbush Exactly this!

The Solo strategy is pre-planning, and knowledge. You keep sharp eye's on the horizon, know where every ship is, and you know what they're doing. After a while, you begin to be able to tell what kind of player's you're dealing with just by watching their movements.
    You may not get to take part in every world event, and when you do, you do so knowing the fact you may have someone roll up and you accept the potential fight.
    Solo play leave's little room for error. When i spent a few months with a friend as my crewmate, i got relaxed, i could RP, mess about, do silly things, knowing i had backup. Now i've been back to solo, and will be for the future, and it feel's a little soulless, sailing the sea's as a lone Captain.

Back to the original point, even as solo, i DO enjoy PVP! I don't really seek it out as a solo, nor do i welcome it 24/7, but when i've had a good productive session, or i'm in the mood, and a ship rolls up loading its cannons, I accept the fact I may lose, and i go in anyway, see what i can do! It's exhilarating, to say the least. You can enjoy PVP solo, even if you aren't good at it, you just have to know what you want out of your session, and work to making it happen.

• @bongosell solo playing isn't the forte of sot and very unfair, any kids on a galeon or in a brig will rekt you except if you're a god wich is 0,01% of the player base, as a solo slooper, you're doomed, they will ruin 45mn of grind in a second, even without any skills, its a big problem for the game, because marketing wise, if your game can't be played in a fair environment even if its a PvP environment, a very few will come back to play the game, the frustration is just too high, being bullied all the times isn't fun and you just ditch the game for Something more fair and fun.
    You just can't ask solo players to deal with 3 or 4 players in game, its just impossible, the PvE is actually saving the game, more people are coming for PvE adventures content, not being plugged all the times by the same people...
    Don't misunderstand me, i love PvP, but Fair PvP, iam a content creator for other PvP games, and its always a shock for me to be bullied, bucket by people in this game because they are much more, the feeling is horrid and give you a bitter taste playing the game or an adventure in solo.
    I like the game but i won't play solo anymore, way too frustrating, it means i won't play as often as its of course more difficult to play with friends, and this is a problem.

• As this thread was months old and revived today, it will now be locked.

A general reminder to all, please avoid reviving threads aged past 30 days, as it is considered a necro, and is against our Forum Rules.

Bumping Threads
    Bumping threads with content that is not providing additional information to the original post is not permitted. Resurrecting very old threads is also not permitted. A warning will be issued and the thread locked. Ignoring the warning will result in a temporary ban from the Forums and a final warning. If the action continues, a permanent ban from the Forums will be issued.

Views
feedback
55 out of 56