Being a Solo Slooper just became a lot harder

• Now that all other ships have a potential extra cannon being a solo slooper is going to be a lot tougher especially if you typically fight rather than flee. What do you guys think?

Publicaciones
    Visitas
  • @ziggie-dory I don't think it makes much of a difference...it can be even helpful...the rowboat is destroyed with 2 cannonhits and the guy who is on it is in the water then...will be interesting...
    Also when you get chased there are more possibitlities, jump of with the rowboat and hit them with an anchor ball for example

• @ziggie-dory the likelihood of THAT making a difference is very low, for me anyway. I out naval most other crews solo and manage to stay away from broadsides most the time unless I have already crippled their ship.

99% of the time when I sink it is due to multiple boarders that one of them happened to tap the anchor and run away from it, forcing a difficult situation where you have to go kill them and let the anchor drop/move away from your ladders.

• I don't think it will make a ton of impact - on a Sloop or Brig, this pulls the person off the helm to make use of it so maneuvering is compromised. A Galleon it makes no difference on as that has a cannon per Crew member already. Plus, it only adds a single canon to one side of the Ship, so they have to position correctly to even make use of it.

What it will do, more than anything, is like was said above in creating all new kinds of situations that could have an interring impact on player encounters. Canon Rowboat drop and an Anchor Ball sounds like an interesting counter to people stacking junk on the Capstan.

• it makes the brig even more OP since you can have 3 cannons with almost no loss in manning the helm. For both galleon and sloop, having the helmsman access the rowboat cannon effectively leaves you rudderless for substantial amounts of time.

The anchor ball play is helpful for sloops but only in that you'll get enough time to sell 2-3 high value items and/or drop your flag. If reaching the closest port requires any time sailing downwind, you'll lose any anchor ball benefit in about 10 seconds given the brig/galleon downwind speeds vs the sloop.

• I'm not a fan of the cannon rowboat when it comes to environmental impact but it won't change much for me as a solo slooper

a decent brig crew is a nightmare and the cannon rowboat really won't change that as it's more the boarding and their ability to repair that's the main threat in how people typically play in this game

an angle in their broad side is already a losing strategy anyway

• If they can have an extra cannon. So can I, a solo sloop.
    If my front side cannons can’t shoot anymore but my rowboat has a shot, I’m gonna use it.
    But it also depends on which side they pick to have the extra cannon.

Only hard part about a solo sloop, is unable to share in the experience due to trust issues

• @burnbacon said in Being a Solo Slooper just became a lot harder:

Only hard part about a solo sloop, is unable to share in the experience due to trust issues

Never mind the haters - I'd trust you!

• I think insisting on playing Multi Player games solo is stupid.

• @glannigan I don’t insist personally, my friends only play when they have time and the few times I went open crew on a sloop my crew mate was terrible and sometimes even sabotaged me. I’m just most comfortable solo, true freedom tbh

• @ziggie-dory said in Being a Solo Slooper just became a lot harder:

@glannigan I don’t insist personally, my friends only play when they have time and the few times I went open crew on a sloop my crew mate was terrible and sometimes even sabotaged me. I’m just most comfortable solo, true freedom tbh

It's all good but you really are missing the "Magic".

Yes, open Crews can be a cesspool but when you meet good people it's the most wonderful experience in gaming today!

I didn't mean to be so aggressive it just really grinds my gears when "Solo'ers" gripe about difficulty in MMO's.

• The ships that have a potential extra cannon include sloops.

Seems fair enough when any of the ships could have an extra canon. It doesn't necessarily make it easier or harder for any particular one when the others could chose to do the same, it depends on planning and tactics chosen.

Semi off topic (especially considering how it is hard to know how the new rowboat will play out until seeing how it is used in game) but this somewhat reminds me of posts prior to the merchant commodity update that complained about some ships having a ton of supplies while others didn't. It all came down to preparation and planning. Any ship was capable of having supplies if they chose to, and could stock up from the outpost and surrounding islands. It had more to do with crew planning and what they chose to supply themselves with, or do a lack thereof.

• @wyvernkraehe said in Being a Solo Slooper just became a lot harder:

Seems fair enough when any of the ships could have an extra canon. It doesn't necessarily make it easier or harder for any particular one when the others could chose to do the same, it depends on planning and tactics chosen.

I disagree. The brig has the easiest access, because the helm just has to jump over the railing 5ft behind them. The rowboat cannon is basically useless on the Galleon because they already have a cannon for everyone, and the sloop has terrible access because you're required to go to the map deck and then have to run all the way back up to get back on the wheel.

I don't think it will provide much of a benefit in practice, but to say that none of the ships have an easier or harder time accessing the cannon rowboat on the back is wrong.

• @d3adst1ck I see what you are saying when it comes to accessing it while sailing, but in practicality each ship still has an extra canon that can be used. Players can jump onto the rowboat from the back of the sloop through the window behind the map table. IMPO it is not that much more difficult or a hassle then having to run through the captain's chamber to get to the rowboat on the galleon. The brig would be the ship that would have the most benefit and easiest access to it.

The galleon does not have a "canon for everyone" as there three canons for four max sailors. Each ship has one less canon then the max amount of players it can have. A hitched canon rowboat would mean that there would -then- be a canon for each player on each ship. At the same time, to have all canons being used at the same time means that there is nobody on the wheel for the ship.

When it comes to jumping from wheel to canon, the Galleon and Sloop could have the pilot of the ship jumping between a ship canon and the wheel, while the primary cannoneer would be the one using the rowboat canon.

In practice, I doubt that the rowboat would be making that much of a difference for any ship when all ships could be equipped with one during the battle.

• @wyvernkraehe said in Being a Solo Slooper just became a lot harder:

I see what you are saying when it comes to accessing it while sailing, but in practicality each ship still has an extra canon that can be used. Players can jump onto the rowboat from the back of the sloop and I have done so before through the window behind the map table. IMPO it is not that much more difficult or a hassle then having to run through the captain's chamber to get to the rowboat on the galleon. The brig would be the ship that would have the easiest time with it.

You have a very small margin to fall from the canopy to the rowboat, but you still need to get back on the wheel which requires you to go up 2 sets of stairs. It's still the slowest access.

The galleon does not have a "canon for everyone" because there three canons and four sailors max for the galleon. Each ship has one canon less then the max amount of players it can have.

Galleon: 4 max players, 3 canons.

What? Have you not played on a galleon before? There are 4 cannons.

• @d3adst1ck said in Being a Solo Slooper just became a lot harder:

What? Have you not played on a galleon before? There are 4 cannons.

Why did I think it had 3 cannons?

Would have sworn it had three. You are right. My bad. In my defense, the galleon is my least favorite ship and I do not sail on it that often (that is not a defense I don't know why I was remembering it as having three.😅)

• it is the same with everything else introduced newly to our Seas . First we are a bit astonished but the next day we are already trying to find a solution, that's what i do like about the game: you adapt faster than you realize ,just by playing and in the end of the week you laugh with that extra canon... Remember the Devil's Roar , in the beginning we were smashed to shreds and splinters but then we adapted , even before the nerf down...

Give it a week and you will see...

• I Agree With this entirely! its like riding a bike, once you have a rhythm its hard to forget
    @clumsy-george said in Being a Solo Slooper just became a lot harder:

it is the same with everything else introduced newly to our Seas . First we are a bit astonished but the next day we are already trying to find a solution, that's what i do like about the game: you adapt faster than you realize ,just by playing and in the end of the week you laugh with that extra canon... Remember the Devil's Roar , in the beginning we were smashed to shreds and splinters but then we adapted , even before the nerf down...

Give it a week and you will see...

• I don't think so. A solo slooper should spot it before it's an issue and move/nullify it. I think it's more of a rear cannon compromise.

• It's all gonna come to how much it turns.

Will it turn like the Rowboat harpoon? If so it's gonna have a major impact on chasing as you can just turn it right a bit, and boom, flutter your pursuer with chain shot.

Well just have to wait and see! Maybe it doesn't "Turn" at all.

• I think it'll be easier. Sail away, hop on rowboat, drop it, line it up with enemy, fire chain shot, drop their masts, respawn. That's a lot of distance they now have to make up.

• The issue with the cannon rowboat isn't combat on the seas it's that it's one more thing that gets added for QoL and fun but sacrifices balance in a shared environment for steals and stealth

Buying supplies, abundant chainshots, easy storage filling and cannon rowboats all play in to serving hopping pvp which is low contribution to servers and they already have significant advantages against producers of loot that aren't interested in pvp

That doesn't mean these things are added to just please that type of gameplay but the consequence of the fun and QoL is that it plays right into the hands and hooks of pirates that are not often producing in an environment where very very skilled players with countless hours share sessions with far less skilled pirates with non pvp interests

Multiple things can be true
    things can be fun and considered QoL and it can still have negative effects on the circle of pirate life in a (supposed to be) balanced risk/reward environment

The only people that really need to worry are those that sit in one spot a long time. It took a situation where skilled players tuck and destroy mostly pvers and made their life a lot easier.

Solo players shouldn't be spending a lot of time in one spot if they want to survive anyway. This is just amplifying what already exists, it won't change a whole lot for naval battles other than a battle here or a battle there depending on the crew and ship size

The good news is it came now and not a year ago or 2 years ago

People have more options now on (more often) less intense servers so the imbalance is significantly less than it would have been earlier in the game's history.

• If you think cannon rowboats made solo slooping harder, I'd hate to be the one to inform you that they added an extra hole where the bed is!

• I don't think the extra cannon will make a huge difference. The biggest difference is on a brig and if I have 2 brig crew firing on something, I'll probably stay at the wheel to make sure they have a firing arc.

I think burying treasure will make a bigger difference. Burying reduces dependence on outposts, and gives soloists another option when they get to the end of a long voyage and find there's too much player traffic around to make handing in directly worth the risk.

Publicaciones
Visitas
3 de 24