Sail cutout

• I agree with blurbs to use the cutout for all sails so the variety of sails will be again bountiful.
    anyone agree? i think this is the next quality of life upgrade that will make me enjoy this game even more.

Aufrufe
  • I'm honestly kinda sick of seeing these sails and cut out. I wish they just nerf the sails entirely, they're making people get lazy.
    We have two options, ruin the sail cosmetics we have now and just apply the same design to everything (yuck), or learn how to get off of the wheel sometimes/work with your crew.

Personally, I'm more a fan of the latter, but I can still see and understand the appeal of the former.

• @gallerine5582 said in Sail cutout:

I'm honestly kinda sick of seeing these sails and cut out. I wish they just nerf the sails entirely, they're making people get lazy.
    We have two options, ruin the sail cosmetics we have now and just apply the same design to everything (yuck), or learn how to get off of the wheel sometimes/work with your crew.

Personally, I'm more a fan of the latter, but I can still see and understand the appeal of the former.

Fully agree with this ^^^

Applying the cut to all sails will ruin at least some of the sails, since their design is not made for that. But the DA sails can still look pretty if you remove the cut. I would therefore just remove that cut entirely from the game.

Another thing is leaving the cut and being able to buy it like you now can with the DA sail, still leaves the problem that it gives players who are already PL and have that amount of money an advantage over other players, wich is against what the game stands for.

• @super87ghost I say, either allow to just buy the "cut" and ability to apply it to any sail, or remove the cut altogether. im fine with either of these, but i would prefer the ability to apply the "cut" to any sail.

• As a former sweat, i don't think that creates much difference comparing to other sails. I usually use other sails even if i know i'll get into a sweaty fight. They can keep the cutout or they can remove it i'm cool either ways and i think majority of the community would not care that much as well to be honest.

• Get off the wheel if you’re solo and move around your ship to see where you’re going OR if you’re with a crew, COMMUNICATE with them. This is the entire ethos of SoT!

• @k0s0y said in Sail cutout:

@super87ghost I say, either allow to just buy the "cut" and ability to apply it to any sail, or remove the cut altogether. im fine with either of these, but i would prefer the ability to apply the "cut" to any sail.

Buying the cut is not an option. It would require duplicating and modifying every current and future sail in the game to have at least two versions; regular and dark adventurer cut.

• @d3adst1ck said in Sail cutout:

@k0s0y said in Sail cutout:

@super87ghost I say, either allow to just buy the "cut" and ability to apply it to any sail, or remove the cut altogether. im fine with either of these, but i would prefer the ability to apply the "cut" to any sail.

Buying the cut is not an option. It would require duplicating and modifying every current and future sail in the game to have at least two versions; regular and dark adventurer cut.

You say that as if its totally impossible. Its a video game, everything is an option. its just that if a lot of people agree on it and let their voices be heard, developers might consider this option or dismiss it.

• @k0s0y said in Sail cutout:

@d3adst1ck said in Sail cutout:

@k0s0y said in Sail cutout:

You say that as if its totally impossible. Its a video game, everything is an option. its just that if a lot of people agree on it and let their voices be heard, developers might consider this option or dismiss it.

It isn't an option with the way the ship sails work. Every sail is it's own texture. They do not modify shape dynamically. That's just the reality, so if they are going to do anything about the DA sails it will be to change/remove the cut out.

It's not impossible, but it would take an awful lot of work to either duplicate and adjust all the sails in the game (as well as any sails added in the future) or to rebuild the sail system to allow dynamic shape changing, but those kinds of things are probably reserved for "Sea of Thieves 2".

• @d3adst1ck just genuinely curious, where did you hear this? Or is it based on your own knowledge? I'm fairly limited in my understanding of unreal but if you know, why wouldn't a opacity map on the sail material work? Just because it would look weird on some sails or technical reasons?

• @xzodeak said in Sail cutout:

@d3adst1ck just genuinely curious, where did you hear this? Or is it based on your own knowledge? I'm fairly limited in my understanding of unreal but if you know, why wouldn't a opacity map on the sail material work? Just because it would look weird on some sails or technical reasons?

I can't be 100% sure, but it looks like the sails are just a texture loaded into the same square 'sail space' and some have an alpha channel layer or setting that controls whether it glows and what color it glows. An older bug which would allow you to swap out to a non-glowing sail but keep the previous sails glow information which made some parts of the replaced sail glow if they had colors similar to the previous sail.

Maybe they could do an opacity map on top of that, but if they can they don't right now. There are older data mines that seem to suggest that they have an entry for large and small ship livery sizes (I'm guessing Galleon and Sloop, this was before the Brigantine) so I'm guessing each sail has it's own asset for the sails and it just loads that.

• next quality of life upgrade that will make me enjoy this game even more

Enjoyment? Or ugly sails.
    I save gold by doing a simple trick that works on any sail, curling. I get the same affect

• @burnbacon said in Sail cutout:

next quality of life upgrade that will make me enjoy this game even more

Enjoyment? Or ugly sails.
    I save gold by doing a simple trick that works on any sail, curling. I get the same affect

Doesn't that make you slower?

Aufrufe
12 von 13