[Mega Thread] Open and Closed Crews

• @khaleesibot said in [Mega Thread] Open and Closed Crews:

• Closed Crews: This option allows a single player to begin a game on either a Galleon or a Sloop, allowing friends to join in when they’re available. You can now play with any configuration of players up to the limit on each ship, which is 4 players on the Galleon and 2 players on the Sloop, as well as preventing non-friends from being able to join you.

this is the best post I've seen all week lol. Thank's for confirming 2 man sloops!

• Seems like most are against 4 man sloops which makes sense, but what about 3 man? Seems like that could even the odds a bit. 2 man sloop vs 4 man galleon is still in the galleons favor based on numbers alone. Only option for the sloop is outmaneuver it and run.

I also bounce between 2 and 3 player crews pretty regularly. A 2 man galleon while waiting on a 3rd player to join is just not logical. we will still have to endure the log off and restart on a bigger ship unless we want to bang our heads against a wall trying to 2 person a galleon for a couple hours while we wait on that 3rd person.

• @myrm said in [Mega Thread] Open and Closed Crews:

@mrgrim67686 said in [Mega Thread] Open and Closed Crews:

Better late than never I guess. Kind of going to miss random idiots er... crewmates bombing my ship. Sometimes it's the only action I get in a session.

There's nothing stopping you starting an open session so you can get your random idi...crewmates. Rare haven't taken that ability away.

Aware. Instead of minor fixes that should have been there from the start, they need to drop something to do or more players per server.

• Rare can you please lower spawn time on skull fort or find a way to make skull fort are up more frequently and please make cosmetic that is not attainable so easily especially by the under lower levels I have so many ideas and am sorry for trolling

• @shuoink said in [Mega Thread] Open and Closed Crews:

Solo galleon is a mistake. Server hopping was bad before, now the 4 people involved can send out 4 different people into 4 different games instead of one to find forts, prepare for that to get a lot worse.. i dont think you should be able to start a galleon unless you have three people ready to go and save the slot for the 4th guy to join later

This sounds terrible! I hope there is or will be a way to prevent this toe of fort "scouting" because I feel like it will ruin a lot of fort battles for the more casual players, or at least those not just server hopping.

• I love the idea of having private crews so you can have someone come in later or don’t have to have a random coming into your crew. One thing I am worried that will now happen is the amount of fort hoppers will be increased since now each person can launch a solo galleon and look for forts when before all 4 people had to be in one crew...

• I'll continue to post this, in every patch thread until this is resolved. My screen continues to be improperly scaled. The edges of my screen are still cut off. I know multiple people who have had this issue since launch. Fixing screen scaling or allowing users to adjust screen edge needs to be a priority.

This was not a problem for me in any of the betas or alphas, but continues to be a persistent issue in the release build.

• Due to a high volume of AlmondBeard errors, we have temporarily removed the Open/Closed Crews feature as well as the invisible underwater gamer tags, and give/take feature while we investigate the cause. We’ll be meeting first thing tomorrow to further assess the situation and work out a plan for reinstating these features. We understand the frustration this has caused, and will keep the community up to date with more information as we have it.
    Please use this thread to discuss the maintenance issues today, as well as the resulting temporary removal of the new features.

As you participate in this thread -Keep to the Pirate Code

As a reminder, the Pirate Code is more than just guidelines (though the reference really never gets old), but the rules of the community and game that we expect all members to abide by when participating on the forums. Any member who fails to abide by the code may find themselves put in the brig, or removed from the community.

We also have Forum Rules, which we moderate to.

• I’m sorry if I’m not the least bit surprised. This feature has been talked about for such a long time, then a week ago confirmed, then now that news of it’s arrival as been plastered anywhere that matters across the net it’s been quietly shut down after how long? So you’ve either tried to release a feature that wasn’t near completion early for press, or you teased your playerbase with a much needed feature then took it away quietly after enough attention. Don’t get me wrong, I get that new features stress things, and will require maintenance, and if that’s so, what’s the ETA? Are you going to even actually release it this month or keep it as another carrot at the end of a cosmetic stick?

• @myrm said in [Mega Thread] Open and Closed Crews:

@mrgrim67686 said in [Mega Thread] Open and Closed Crews:

Better late than never I guess. Kind of going to miss random idiots er... crewmates bombing my ship. Sometimes it's the only action I get in a session.

There's nothing stopping you starting an open session so you can get your random idi...crewmates. Rare haven't taken that ability away.

I have to chuckle at this now.

• @kenji-salk Thanks for the update. I think it should have been it's own post though for visibility's sake.

• So when are closed crew's coming back? I managed to miss it in the few hours it might have been available?

• let me understand, the private crews have been removed? REALLY A GOOD WORK, AND THE BEAUTIFUL IS STILL EXPECTING A TRAILER AND A DATE OF RELEASE FOR THD ...

• No point asking if you are gonna give us reputation for the failed voyages especially legendary once right ?

• Friend and I got on because the server status page read "All services are running normally". We sailed for an hour and a half, got a bunch of loot, and as we were heading to an outpost, we sank with no holes and then got hit with an Allmondbeard.

Why advertise on the server status page that the services are running normally if they aren't? I've never gotten disconnected like this before until today. I like the game a lot but I cannot defend this patch at all. I imagine a lot of people have had similar issues even after the chaos earlier today, it isn't cool that the services are listed as up if they're still having connectivity issues. I just wish I could still sell my loot.

• @chellnz Not sure how easy it would be to implement under the hood, but I think the easiest way to allow people to change ships mid session would be to add another option in the scuttle ship menu, so you'd have:

- Scuttle ship
    - Scuttle ship and switch to Galleon/Sloop

• I love the "Closed Crew" feature. This is something I've been waiting on for weeks. I solo a lot when other people aren't available to play and when a friend gets online I either have to sell off what I have at the the nearest outpost and start all over with an unstocked boat or make them wait on me to finish a voyage and THEN start all over with an unstocked boat. I would love for friends to be able to join me in progress. I would also love the ability to go from a sloop to a galleon without leaving the game.

I was thrilled when this patch was released but that was very short-lived. Functionality had to be pulled back out because of Allmondbeard errors. I got disconnected 4 times in three hours and lost a ton of loot, not to mention all the setup time involved to grind Merchant Alliance. Honestly, I wasn't really that happy and at this point I won't invest time in playing until the issues are resolved because it's just time wasted and gold and rep lost.

The worst part about this was that hours went by before there was any kind of statement from Rare, despite countless forum posts, tweets, discord posts, etc. I'm sure you follow your own social media and I know you have a community response team but they need to do better about posting across ALL social media platforms, not just twitter or discord. It's not really that hard to copy and paste the same statement across platforms, it literally takes seconds. Also, you have everyone's email address, you could send out a quick email as well.

I appreciate that Rare is trying to fix this and I love this game. Please try do a little better about getting the word out across all social media platforms. A simple statement "We at Rare are aware of the issues that players are currently facing in Sea of Thieves and we're currently working to understand what the problem is and come up with a solution." would go a long way to stop people from getting so angry because there is no cohesive message across platforms. Just my two cents.

• @personalc0ffee I'm aware, and every time I checked the status page yesterday while playing "ALL SERVICES ARE RUNNING NORMALLY" was the message. In fact, it's still the message and all services are "not" running normally from everything I've seen posted. Trust me, I checked the status page.

• @ohbobsagel said in [Mega Thread] Open and Closed Crews:

Why advertise on the server status page that the services are running normally if they aren't?

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that they were running normally when they brought everything back up online and continued to do so right up to the point where something happened and they weren't any more.

Unfortunately that's the nature of bugs in programming code, you don't know they're there until they rear their annoying little heads, and they can be caused by the most unexpected of things, or combination of things.

So it's annoying yes, but I doubt Rare deliberately 'advertised' that the game was working when they knew it wasn't. Otherwise why would they have taken it down again to turn off the new features before bringing it back up again?

• @shuoink said in [Mega Thread] Open and Closed Crews:

Solo galleon is a mistake. Server hopping was bad before, now the 4 people involved can send out 4 different people into 4 different games instead of one to find forts, prepare for that to get a lot worse.. i dont think you should be able to start a galleon unless you have three people ready to go and save the slot for the 4th guy to join later

^^ this ^^

• @ever-reddy said in [Mega Thread] Open and Closed Crews:

@ohbobsagel said in [Mega Thread] Open and Closed Crews:

Why advertise on the server status page that the services are running normally if they aren't?

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that they were running normally when they brought everything back up online and continued to do so right up to the point where something happened and they weren't any more.

Unfortunately that's the nature of bugs in programming code, you don't know they're there until they rear their annoying little heads, and they can be caused by the most unexpected of things, or combination of things.

So it's annoying yes, but I doubt Rare deliberately 'advertised' that the game was working when they knew it wasn't. Otherwise why would they have taken it down again to turn off the new features before bringing it back up again?

You realize that it didn't change even during maintenance, right?

• Such a shame this got removed.
    Absolutely LOVED crewing a Galleon whilst we had the chance, with just two.
    Sadly, this appears to have gone.
    Hopefully it'll be back soon.

• @carcinogenetxc

This tweet and the thread here probably explain things best for the moment, til we hear more news..
    https://twitter.com/SeaOfThieves/status/996615009483481088

https://www.seaofthieves.com/forum/topic/59155/update-7-00am-16th-may-game-is-back-online-and-performance-being-monitored?page=1

• @kenji-salk just got Allmondbeard after receiving the final map on an Athena voyage. Frustrated is not exactly how I would explain it...

• Taging onto my origins post, since I was routed to write my opinion here.. I have been kicked 10 times or more, honestly not sure I lost count.. 6 of those times with really good and rare loot... this is not cool at all, we should get some short of compensation. Due to the time and gold we are basically tossing out of the ship. Lol... like a double gold weekend on all quest or even a special chest drop weekend maybe even both sounds good.. something fair even just giving a few k’s of gold for our troubles.

• Still getting Almondbeard errors.
    Last one was 3minutes ago after cashing in a chest and a skull, turned the sloop to leave and she just kept turning.
    Previous was about 1hr ago, approaching snake island in sloop. Went straight through snake island and booted.
    Kicks are completely at random, I cant point to any single thing I was doing the same each time.
    Needless to say servers are still bugged at least for Xbox users.

• @pogi00 Ahoy there!

Unfortunately matey the waters are a bit choppy at the moment... check out the following threads:

https://www.seaofthieves.com/forum/topic/59176/sea-of-thieves-server-instability-updates-may-16th

https://www.seaofthieves.com/forum/topic/59155/update-7-00am-16th-may-game-is-back-online-and-performance-being-monitored/1

But please send a report via Support to let the devs know issues are still happening.

• My didn't update for the open and closed session on my Xbox One and there no update s on my query

• Just got another AllmondBeard error, half of the hour playing - and boom

Update (9 minutes later):
    Joined a new session, picked up some resources at the outpost, and got another AlmondBeard.
    Mhhmh, delicious

Update 2 (26 minutes later):
    Started a voyage, did one island, and again AlmondBeard. wow.

• After original update I got 2 dc's. After first patch I played for 3 hours with no problem and then logged off just before 2nd patch. Joined a galleon crew, loaded up with supplies, left the dock and every dc's. I then started a sloop and we played with no "dc's" for several hours but my latency was all over the place after awhile, namely at skull fort. I dc'd in hopes of resolving but when I came back it said my player name was BP_PlayerPirate_... and my crew mate had a white name tag. I killed myself and that fixed it, but the latency was still there, just not as bad after reducing graphics to potato mode. We engaged a galleon and everyone dc'd mid encounter.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1S6vbQt3AEs4VeeP6wFvZa9mpo8bOl7wK/view

• Sorry for not reading every reply so far but I did search. I can't be the only one that had a horrid time yesterday, can I? I appreciated the server shutdown message later in the evening but the previous FOUR times I was disconnected, everything would be running smoothly and then I would just start phasing through islands and then disconnect with a ship full of loot. FOUR times an hour or so apart, without warning, was very disheartening. But I understand, growing pains and all.

However, I'm mainly here to ask: has the patch been removed completely? I see no private crew options. Is it even worth my time to log in and do voyages, or will I just lag out for seemingly no reason in an hour?

• @azim0ff @aliasmask @Vyx

Ahoy mates, there's some updates in this thread and a dedicated one where Rare will post further updates as we get them - If you'd be kind enough to send reports via Support so that the staff are aware that players are still encountering issues, that would be much appreciated.

https://www.seaofthieves.com/forum/topic/59155/update-7-00am-16th-may-game-is-back-online-and-performance-being-monitored?page=1

https://www.seaofthieves.com/forum/topic/59176/sea-of-thieves-server-instability-updates-may-16th

The latest info we have is -

https://twitter.com/SeaOfThieves/status/996682515124490240

• @musicmee said in [Mega Thread] Open and Closed Crews:

@pogi00 Ahoy there!

Unfortunately matey the waters are a bit choppy at the moment... check out the following threads:

https://www.seaofthieves.com/forum/topic/59155/update-7-00am-16th-may-game-is-back-online-and-performance-being-monitored/1

But please send a report via Support to let the devs know issues are still happening.

Sorry; thank you.

• @vyx No worries at all matey, just trying to keep this all in the right place. Thanks for your help!

• @j-train13x said in [Mega Thread] Open and Closed Crews:

@dreamingnomad you can reduce it all you want, but increasing it is the problem, what would be the point of galleons if you could just have 4 people on a sloop and run it much more efficiently

I would automatically reply with FirePower... more people on the Cannons.
    More room for cargo... although when chests just blend into each other it doesn't matter how much room you have i spose.

I would really just like the variety of ships or to see more unique ships on the seas...

Views
55 out of 132