Live Q+A: Tall Tales with Mike Chapman and Andrew Preston - NOW FINISHED

• Our Tall Tales Q&A with Mike Chapman/ @MikeTheMutinous and Andrew Preston/ @keeyaa from the Sea of Thieves Design team is now live!

We've convinced more of the Dev Team to join us for a Live Q&A! So drop by between 5pm and 6pm BST Wednesday 31st July (12pm-1pm EDT, 9am-10am PDT) to pose your questions and hang out with us.

We'll be talking all things Tall Tales: Shores of Gold so get thinking about what you want to ask!

We'll open the thread when we go live.

Views
  • It would be cool if the Tall Tale books could show somewhere on our ship once completed… on a bookshelf maybe?

Further, the system could automatically show the combined list of completed books of everyone in the crew - and you can vote on them from there, as a bonus!

Any chance of something like this?

• Ahoy Chapman Hoarder and Andrewheart! Here you have my first question.

Do you have plans to make tall tales instead of merce

• Abhoy Emma, Mike and Andrew 👋,

thank you for doing this Q&A!

Question(s) for Mike and Andrew:
    Did you folks ever play with the idea of a Giant Boulder (à la Raiders of the Lost Ark) chasing you down a pathway on Tribute Peak and, if yes, why did you ultimately discard the idea?

How many more unrealised trap concepts are still out there - what crazy ideas did the Team come up with?

I imagine you must've thought up a lot of different traps during development:
    Blow darts in walls; trapdoors; snake pits; trap doors that drop you into snake pits etc. 😂

Cheers!

• Can anything be done to mitigate the the problem of players losing hours of progress on a Tall Tale, due to other players or any reason?

• @Muse986

Been playing Sea of Thieves on a regular basis since 2 months after its launch, it's such a special experience for me.

I just want to say that Tall Tales were very special to me and my crew. I've wanted to see the Gold Hoarder himself rendered in game for a long time, and seeing him was a truly amazing thing. My regular crewmates happen to be my IRL best friends, so getting to have this multiplayer/shared world narrative experience that we were able to partake in together was just something we'll never forget.

Thank you so much for Sea of Thieves, and thank you for Tall Tales!

Question:

- Do you think we'll be seeing a short Tall Tales series for Pirate Legends, maybe based on the crew of Athena's Fortune? It would be a great way for players to be able to earn the ghostly eye curse of the Mysterious Stranger!

P.S. As a composer myself, I could hear the influence from the Shawshank Redemption end credits theme in the Shores of Gold Becalmed arrangement. Very charming! Robin Beanland is brilliant!

• Ahoy Mike and Andy!

Thanks for taking time out of your day to talk to us!

A couple questions regarding Revenge of the Morningstar and the future of Sea of Thieves.

It was hinted by eavesdropping skelly conversations that the Chalice of Resurrection is the same chalice that Captain Flameheart found in the lore book. Now, after we defeated Graymarrow we just sort of left the chalice and Captain Douglas skull as we ran off with a piece of the Shroudbreaker.

Will leaving those items behind come back into play in the future?

...and also, will we learn more about Captain Douglas and his glorious skull and why Graymarrow wanted to resurrect him?

... and finally, Graymarrow never dropped HIS skull... he could still be out there, right?

• Curious as to why some items/objects in Tall Tales were physical, and some “virtual” (only in the radial menu) to use?

• Loved all the tall tales and especially the cosmetics and CURSES!

Will we see more curses and specifically unlockables cosmetics for our pets, including pet curses in the future?

Can't wait for the next Tall Tale, can we get an idea of when the next Tall Tale will be released and will they become more consistently released like the Bilge Rat monthly adventures are rolling out now?

Thank you and keep up the amazing work!

• When are we going to get our next big threat

• Will we see the Gold Hoarders Island Tribute Peak be utilized for any other future missions or will the shroud be removed from the area opening up newer islands?

• Ahoy!

Thank you so much for doing this Q&A on Tall Tales!! This was ma favorite part of the Anniversary Update, loving all the lore they brought and all the new mechanics they introduced to the game.

Tall Tales introduced in-game a few characters from the extended universe like Briggsy or Captain Slate but also Tribute Peak. Was the way to introduce these characters planned when the book was written, or did it come after that? I hope Larinna is doing well and I can't wait to see Mercia introduced into the game!

What is the mechanism introduced by the Tales that you prefer the most?

I was also wondering if you had any inspiration about the Tales stories? Wild Rose is probably my favorite, so emotional and the music is exceptional. Are there any that are based on real stories?

Tall Tales have introduced many new mechanisms and tools into the game, could these be reused to improve the regular voyages of Trading Companies? I love the enchanted compass!!

Shores of Gold suggests that there is more than one island, does that mean Tribute Peak is not the only island in this mysterious region?

I have so many questions... 😁

• Ahoy Mike and Andy!
    Got a quick question:
    Was there any design inspiration for the Gold Hoarder's appearance and Character personality?
    Gold Mine

• Hello Tall Tale Spinners!
    In the Sea of Thieves novel, Athenas Fortune, Larinna and her crew managed to arrive at the Shores of Gold and make their way to a vast plateau where "ten enormous statues rose before them, easily over a hundred feet high". I was overjoyed to not only discover that this location was rendered in the game, but that it even had a puzzle element taken from the novel as well, so I have to ask: as the novel predated the Tall Tales addition by quite a few months, what was the process in collaborating with the author and foreshadowing this area?

• @muse986 will we be getting banjos and more shanties at some point?

• Greetings Pirates! Thanks for having this Lore Q&A, I've typed out all my questions I hope I can get some answered today! =D

Others are starting to finally believe that Duke is the Dark Lord, have I been right all this time? Is Duke the Dark Lord?

Can you lay out the timeline for when Tales From the Sea of Thieves, Athena's Fortune and the comics in relation to current Sea of Thieves?

When can we expect the official release for the Trade Company comics?

In Sea of Thieves, there's no mention of the Pirate Lord's real name. As far as we know Demarco and Lesedi don't know about their father in game or him becoming a pirate lord ghost. Do they know about their father or are they unaware of the pirate legend tavern?

Now that we have working hatches can we get working doors on the galleons?

Is the Silver Blade cosmetics from the Insiders represent what Captain Flameheart's ship the Silver Blade?

• @lethality1 said in Live Q&A: Tall Tales with Mike Chapman and Andrew Preston:

It would be cool if the Tall Tale books could show somewhere on our ship once completed… on a bookshelf maybe?

Further, the system could automatically show the combined list of completed books of everyone in the crew - and you can vote on them from there, as a bonus!

Any chance of something like this?

Love this idea. Something we've discussed extensively, but we'd lose the specific cutscenes that happen at NPC's.

However, for completionists to show you've mastered the tales, its a nice idea...

• Is there's any chance the skeleton lord fights will be updated? Tall tales was great overall but the bosses were admittedly very dissapointing. Especially the gold hoarder. He had his own arena and everything, and then he ended up basically being a standard skeleton with a slam attack

• My favorite aspect of the Gold Hoarders Lair is all of the various traps that have been devised inside - what is the process behind designing each section to the finished product? How do you know when each section has been made just difficult enough to provide a good challenge but not drive players mad trying to get through them?

• @eggamer13 said in Live Q&A: Tall Tales with Mike Chapman and Andrew Preston:

Ahoy Chapman Hoarder and Andrewheart! Here you have my first question.

Do you have plans to make tall tales instead of merce

Assume you mean Mercenary Voyages... yes, we are planning new Tall Tales :)

• As a long time lover of all things Lore within the Sea of Thieves I'm glad you're giving us this "Golden" opportunity to prod and poke you for more information on the Shores of Gold. Thank you!

-Rathbone was a Skeleton lord of very few words during our encounter with him, yet Briggsy, Graymarrow, even Rooke had quite a bit to shout at us even if the latter was mostly about her "beloved" George. Has his mental state deteriorated given how long he's been sat there or did he just not really have much to say to a group of intruders within his Throne room?

-I noticed a distinct lack of one Stitcher Jim during this whole saga, wasn't his mission to return to Rathbone as soon as he obtained the Box of Wondrous secrets?

-Speaking of said Box of Wondrous secrets, Rathbone surprisingly offered Briggsy a sympathetic understanding of her plight and offered her a chance to become human again, I take this to mean Rathbone really doesn't care for his current state, understanding that nobody else would either, and since this isn't the last we've likely seen of him says Ramsay himself, could this mean we see a Human Rathbone in the future all thanks to this Box?

-Conquering the Shores of Gold has made me feel like a triumphant Gold Hoarder in my own right, The Jacket and Curse are an incredible set but we're still missing the eyepatch to really bring the whole look together, any word on if we'll be getting it soon?

-Having read Athena's Fortune, I saw a lot of the little nods to its story and the Pirates that managed to find their way to the Shores of Gold before us. Could we perhaps be meeting those four Brave Sailors featured in the novels in the future? I'd name them but one of them is blocked by your filter for some reason :(

• Is there any plans to rebalance gold or have more gold sinks for players to use?

At this point in the game gold is pretty meaningless for a lot of players and doubloons are catching up also.

Also it’s great to see some Q&A’s again on these shores, they have been Shorley missed. :)

• Ahoy!
    So in the Tall tales and expanded lore we are shown that the Devils shroud is a living moving entinty if you will being able to swallow up whole islands and release islands at certain times. Are there any plans to incorporate the devils shroud more into the game, for example maybe have a new island/ region appear from the shroud, while a old region we have been familiar with like Shores of plenty or the Ancient Isles gets swallowed up for a duration of time?

• @thor-von-blitz said in Live Q&A: Tall Tales with Mike Chapman and Andrew Preston:

Abhoy Emma, Mike and Andrew 👋,

thank you for doing this Q&A!

Question(s) for Mike and Andrew:
    Did you folks ever play with the idea of a Giant Boulder (à la Raiders of the Lost Ark) chasing you down a pathway on Tribute Peak and, if yes, why did you ultimately discard the idea?

How many more unrealised trap concepts are still out there - what crazy ideas did the Team come up with?

I imagine you must've thought up a lot of different traps during development:
    Blow darts in walls; trapdoors; snake pits; trap doors that drop you into snake pits etc. 😂

Cheers!

I think Andrew said it best in the stream yesterday, they come out of design meeting still energised with new ideas. In sure there is much more to come!!

• @chronodusk said in Live Q&A: Tall Tales with Mike Chapman and Andrew Preston:

@Muse986

Been playing Sea of Thieves on a regular basis since 2 months after its launch, it's such a special experience for me.

I just want to say that Tall Tales were very special to me and my crew. I've wanted to see the Gold Hoarder himself rendered in game for a long time, and seeing him was a truly amazing thing. My regular crewmates happen to be my IRL best friends, so getting to have this multiplayer/shared world narrative experience that we were able to partake in together was just something we'll never forget.

Thank you so much for Sea of Thieves, and thank you for Tall Tales!

Question:

- Do you think we'll be seeing a short Tall Tales series for Pirate Legends, maybe based on the crew of Athena's Fortune? It would be a great way for players to be able to earn the ghostly eye curse of the Mysterious Stranger!

P.S. As a composer myself, I could hear the influence from the Shawshank Redemption end credits theme in the Shores of Gold Becalmed arrangement. Very charming! Robin Beanland is brilliant!

Would love to build some tall tales exclusively for Pirate Legends, would be very cool to build something custom for our most engaged players. Also love the idea of building a curse around the Mysterious Strangers eyes!

• What has been your favorite Tall Tale to design, and which is your favorite overall?

• Will you do something as Epic as the Shores of Gold? As in another island or maybe an underwater place hidden at certain coordinates?

• @muse986 can you add more content plz we want more frequent updates please

• Ahoy. Would you consider adding a diary ingame or something similar that shows your player stats like hours played?

• Thanks @MikeTheMutinous, yes I was referring to mercenary voyages but the copy paste didn't work well hahaha. My second question:

Why did you decided to make all the Lords almost the same but with different animations and appearence? Was it because time constraints or design choices or other causes? It Will be nice if all the lords had different abilities so we would need to learn how the Lord behaves.

• I have the gold hoarder curse and i have completed all the commendations for all tall tales but it still shows that i havent unlocked all. What can i do to get it working

• @marius said in Live Q&A: Tall Tales with Mike Chapman and Andrew Preston:

Loved all the tall tales and especially the cosmetics and CURSES!

Will we see more curses and specifically unlockables cosmetics for our pets, including pet curses in the future?

Can't wait for the next Tall Tale, can we get an idea of when the next Tall Tale will be released and will they become more consistently released like the Bilge Rat monthly adventures are rolling out now?

Thank you and keep up the amazing work!

Yes, the curses that were delivered as part of Shores of Gold is just the start. While we have some new stories that we are excited to tell, a lot of the work we're doing at the moment is trying to ensure we can make them a regular thing for players.

Lots of opportunities for episodic storytelling!

• Ahoy there Rare crew! Is there any possible slight hints we could get towards the next Tall Tales?

• Bonjour l'équipe ce pour quand les skin obsidian pour les cannon merci

• I’ve completed each tale more than five times each and have unlocked all the cosmetics but I only have 83 out of 85 commendations. I know this is a known issue but can you address if there are any workarounds for this or will we suddenly log in and see that we now have all 85 commendations? Thanks! Loved every minute of the tall tales! Can’t wait for more!

Views
1 out of 232