Live Q+A: Gregg, Shelley and Jason talk all things Arena - NOW FINISHED

• @muse986 said in Live Q+A: Gregg, Shelley and Jason talk all things Arena - WE'RE LIVE!:

@marius said in Live Q+A: Gregg, Shelley and Jason talk all things Arena - WE'RE LIVE!:

Any plans to bring more or time limited cosmetics towards the Sea Dog faction to incentives playing Arena for us high level Sea Dogs?

I'm currently level 45 Sea Dog, all commendations completed (besides Iron Sea Dog) and besides the Legendary Sea Dog weapons (28 1st place wins away from that one), I'm finding no incentive at all to keep playing Arena.

Please bring in new ship/figurehead cosmetics. They're called Sea Dogs, but the cosmetics are seriously lacking any animal motif behind them where all the titles are animal related.

Shelley: There will be more cosmetics and commendations coming to The Arena!

Wonderful news.Please make them animal related and please please please make any new commendations retroactive for us high level players so we don't have to repeat tasks like when Athena commendations came out and us Athena 10s were at zero progress for commendations.

• @muse986 "We're improving matchmaking, looking at ways to improve the open crew experience, reducing quitting and trying to ensure contests are more competitive!"

You need to fix the incredibly high ping first... to begin anywhere with this. The ping is out of control, even with fiber... i cant get under 45 ping EVER. Theres instances where my ping is sitting at 50 and then ramps up to something mad like 145 when the boat starts to near players. This goes for Adventure as well. Im assuming its because those players are in EU or China or somewhere not near where i live in the States being jammed together in one laggy arena situation and thats forcing a lot to leave. Maybe then try matching people by ping? then even more so by their arena reputation level? So you dont have level 45 Sea Dogs being stuck with level 5 sailors over and over and over again lol.

• @qtrmaster-zeta said in Live Q+A: Gregg, Shelley and Jason talk all things Arena - WE'RE LIVE!:

Ahoy dev masters. You're breathtaking.

Will Arena have lore behind story in the future? And will we be seeing npcs at the docks for each colored banner soon?

alt text

Gregg: You'll be able to learn more about the Sea Dogs in the future...

• @natiredgals That's the most legit and balanced solution. It's not fair that PC players that play WITH controllers can't opt out of cross-play with keyboard and mouse players. In the other hand, if they made it as you imagine it, then Xbox players with M&K would still be a problem for you then.

• Hi, SoT Team!

As someone who still hasn't tried Arena specifically with my friends (we're typically a Brigantine-sized crew and don't plan on using fill for a Galleon), I feel like one of the things that will turn my crew off will be the automatic funneling out of The Sea Dogs Tavern as a match starts. Will we ever be given the option to explore The Sea Dogs Tavern at our own leisure, preferably privately, before queuing for matchmaking? I can already envision my crew not getting one's bearings in the tavern before the match starts, that leaving a bad impression and them giving up on the mode.

Somewhat off-topic; I like the idea of adding a way of play to SoT that accommodates shorter play sessions, currently in the form of Arena, but I'd love it if y'all added a similar 30 minute session way to play with something that wasn't PvP competitive/aggressive. My friends and I love Adventure, but can only play a few times a month, if even, cause we just don't have the consecutive hours to sit down for one session often. If there was a Adventure-esque way to dip into SoT for 30 or so minutes and have a meaningful session, we'd play several times a week as we do with other games that require less time commitment.

• @moronicstraw said in Live Q+A: Gregg, Shelley and Jason talk all things Arena - WE'RE LIVE!:

@natiredgals said in Live Q+A: Gregg, Shelley and Jason talk all things Arena - WE'RE LIVE!:

Thanks for this, devs! And congrats on your promotion Shelly!

Crossplay, the Opt Out. We're still hanging on very little info, its been 5mo. since it was originally announced. Give us a little sign of life here because I've got Xbox friends I'd love to see come back to the game but they wont while they're forced to pay to play at a disadvantage.

Thanks again for all your hard work, Love the game cant wait for whats next!

Hey @NatiRedGals

Shelley: Thank you!

Jason: We are actively developing input-split matchmaking. This feature has been more complicated to create than expected and we continue to work hard to get you all the right approach.

When there is news, Joe will let you know through the Developer update.

Thanks for the heads-up, but do you mean input-split, or the split as initially proposed in January?

• @eggamer13 said in Live Q+A: Gregg, Shelley and Jason talk all things Arena - WE'RE LIVE!:

In The Arena tavern there are a lot of props that can lead to some interesting player behaviour. It could be nice if there was something like a lever or so that when you interact with it, the "trumpets" of the tavern will make sound. This could also be introduced in adventure mode, it could be very nice making a noise with that and hear it across all the map 🤣

Oh man I can imagine the noise pollution from this from annoying people in the lobby who already noise pollute.

• @clumsy-george said in Live Q+A: Gregg, Shelley and Jason talk all things Arena - WE'RE LIVE!:

In the Tavern , Arena Tavern , are some props that Pirates can use ...i mean the bathtub has an Achievement tied to it and we were once in the Tavern, climbed up the stage and started to tell jokes , the first reactions were a bit mixed , some told us to shut it but after a few minutes more and more Pirates started to talk jokes , in the end , even the no sayers were having fun and forgot to be toxic...Will there be in the future more "props" that could be used to change or even enhance the atmosphere ?...

i rather fight with a sportmanship or comaraderic attitude than being smudged in the Tavern and therefor subdueing , anger feels...

Shelley: We want to enhance the positive social aspects of the tavern.

Gregg: We once had a bell in there but we had to take it out.

Shelley: The stand-up comedy thing is cool! It's exactly the kind of thing we hoped players would do.

Gregg: Karaoke?

• @hynieth said in Live Q+A: Gregg, Shelley and Jason talk all things Arena - WE'RE LIVE!:

Hi there Gregg, Jason and ofc Shelly, (Congrats With the Promotion!)

So here's a question for you all:

People have been asking for Smaller ships (I already read some questons here too), but what about bigger ones? If there's a place to test out how larger ships would work in sea of thieves I think the Arena is a perfect place to start!

And a second question:

Are we ever going to see the really pretty ship sets from the arena in the main game? I want that Lucky rover set so badly!

SHIP SET SPOILERS!

• Hi

Arena is suffering from the high latency and hit reg problems, players often teleport during battles especially when more than 2 crews are gathered on the same boat/zone.

Are you looking for fixes on this since right now, PvP is more of a rolling dice rather than a skill based experience.

The adventure servers are even more laggy.

• @muse986 Since launch we have named our ship the Cursed Clover. We need those clover sales in adventure!!!

• @rohan2106 said in Live Q+A: Gregg, Shelley and Jason talk all things Arena - WE'RE LIVE!:

Have you thought about introducing a 'deserter' penalty for people that leave the arena, or are there plans to stop arena from just being two or three crews by the end.

Also, what are your thoughts on losing a flat 50% of points when sunk? This would help make matches more winnable when there is a crew ahead by several thousand points.

Gregg: We didn't want to penalise success. If you've earned 10,000 silver you shouldn't lose 5,000 just because you've sunk.

Shelley: It's not the way we wanted to approach winning in Arena. Success is rewarded.

• @Muse986
    What does DeMarco Singh think of the Crimson Dog ( @SirioNDB ), Inventor of the first sEa-sports such as Skullball and Beacon Brawlers? 👀

• @eggamer13 said in Live Q+A: Gregg, Shelley and Jason talk all things Arena - WE'RE LIVE!:

My second question:

Why did you decide to make The Arena tavern interior not accessible via Adventure mode and The Arena tavern exterior not accessible via The Arena itself? Is there a technical thing or just a design choice?

Gregg: Technical reasons!

Jason: It gives us more capacity to add more things to the game.

Shelley: We still have those dreams!

• @muse986 said in Live Q+A: Gregg, Shelley and Jason talk all things Arena - WE'RE LIVE!:

@eggamer13 said in Live Q+A: Gregg, Shelley and Jason talk all things Arena - WE'RE LIVE!:

My second question:

Why did you decide to make The Arena tavern interior not accessible via Adventure mode and The Arena tavern exterior not accessible via The Arena itself? Is there a technical thing or just a design choice?

Gregg: Technical reasons!

Jason: It gives us more capacity to add more things to the game.

Shelley: We still have those dreams!

Thanks!

• @dotcomrobots Exactly... high ping should be what were discussing if anything at the moment. Props to realizing whats making the arena feel like nonsense/a mish mash of players with a really really really basic matchmaking set up.

• Arena Related Question #1:

How difficult a time has the studio had in dealing with Joe Neate after his return from E3 as the Battle for LA Invitational Champion?
    Does he mention it in every sentence?

Love you all! xoxo

• @muse986

Shelly: I know you can cook animals to retain some health, but in 24 mins of coordinated gameplay...I don’t have time to waste a minute on the snake or chicken I just killed to cook. Plus, the spawn rate of sharks recently has been crazy. 4 sometimes 5 at a time. Not to mention you’re wasting valuable bullets and resources to fend them off that could be better used on an enemy trying to take your chest. Cooking is incredible in Adventure, but kind of pointless in arena.

Gregg: Emergence Yes, but Arena is a team effort that provides cosmetics that every one should be able to get. No one individual can win Arena alone. While there’s one who keeps enemy players off your boat, there another repairing vital holes. Team kills should be shared. For example, we have hands down the best helmsman I’ve ever seen in this game. He drives and gets a ship tucked beautifully and makes it so we’re always on offense. Unless a random person boards our ship, he rarely sees action. Should he be denied cosmetics purely bc his valued skill set doesn’t match up with the requirements needed to unlock said cosmetics? I would rather share team kills and increase the number needed to 240 then hope that These integral players get the ability to make sniper and pistol shots. It is Sea Of Thieves, but in a Arena it’s about the team performing as a solitary unit.

Thank you for the time to read my question!

• Ahoy! Thanks for taking the time out to answer our questions!

Have you guys ever thought about having an Arena mode where all ships battle a kraken and the crew with the most tentacle "kills" wins?

Also have you guys bounced the idea around about a Tribute Peak (no ships) Arena match?

Thanks!

• @geshden said in Live Q+A: Gregg, Shelley and Jason talk all things Arena - WE'RE LIVE!:

Hey Guys! A couple questions that ive been wondering over the past two weeks...

~ Is hit reg on the guns specifically being looked at?

~ The ping on servers is extremely high 99% of the time and hasnt ever gone below 40.. this goes for streamers i watch was well. What goes with the server issues and high ping?

~ Any defense coming to all these AFKs in arena grinding the rep for days to max out? Thats a bit frustrating to see constantly..

~ Last question, the broken basic matchmaking... is it just clumping everyone together when you search or is there actual ping based matchmaking? On that note, can we get some kind of system that puts Legends/high level pirates together versus being stuck with 3 random sailors who have never seen arena or a sail for that matter. Its extremely frustrating to be matched with people that arent on the same level as you and just kind of wander into arena because Adventure is a bust for PVP but have never touched arena or been on a larger ship.

Shelley: We are actively looking at hit reg on guns. There's no update to share yet but we'll let you know when there is!

Jason: Yes, we're looking at improving matchmaking and matching players of similar skill together.

• Is there any work going into improving hit detection in arena, or perhaps sea of thieves in general. Just yesterday I got 7 hit markers on a pirate in the water, 4 pistol and 3 sniper and he still didn’t die, instead a shark came by and finished him off.

• @MoronicStraw will an API be made available with wich we can get stats like deaths, kills, shots fired, shots hit etc ?

I think quite a part of the community can get a kick out of it

@natiredgals That's the most legit and balanced solution. It's not fair that PC players that play WITH controllers can't opt out of cross-play with keyboard and mouse players. In the other hand, if they made it as you imagine it, then Xbox players with M&K would still be a problem for you then.

Ya know, I'm here for the dev's answers. Lets not derail the thread please.

@hynieth said in Live Q+A: Gregg, Shelley and Jason talk all things Arena - WE'RE LIVE!:

Hi there Gregg, Jason and ofc Shelly, (Congrats With the Promotion!)

So here's a question for you all:

People have been asking for Smaller ships (I already read some questons here too), but what about bigger ones? If there's a place to test out how larger ships would work in sea of thieves I think the Arena is a perfect place to start!

And a second question:

Are we ever going to see the really pretty ship sets from the arena in the main game? I want that Lucky rover set so badly!

SHIP SET SPOILERS!

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Summon the spoilers!! ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

My third question:

In the "Official Sea of Thieves Content Update: The Arena" we can see a ship skin with a moon in it, that I remember seeing it in the Insiders, but you decide to change it to the Regal Hound. Why did you change this?

Gregg: It sunk and no one could see it to recover it.

Jason: It had an unfair advantage due to visibility.

• @xraylexx said in Live Q+A: Gregg, Shelley and Jason talk all things Arena - WE'RE LIVE!:

Any plans to put a notification on screen when some one leaves or joins your crew in Arena (and Adventure). Will stop me from stalking to myself half the time :)

Gregg: It's already in the game.

checks release notes

Gregg: It's coming soon.

• The Battle of L.A has proven that broadcasting the Captains of Multiple Crews are very entertaining...i watched the broadcast , which lasted more than two hours ,completely ,without becoming bored … Is there a possibility that Rare repeats more often these kinds of Broadcasts?...And i don't mean you have to always have prizes attached to them...i just mean that this kind of broadcasting was really fun to watch , they were exciting and it was enormous to see how the different personalities of the Captains ruled over their crews...

Any chance this may be taken into the weekly Stream? i don't mean like weekly but like you switch now between Arena , Tall tale and normal Adventure mode , would it not be great to see once a month or once in two months a similar battle like the Battle Of LA?

• @taaaamas said in Live Q+A: Gregg, Shelley and Jason talk all things Arena - WE'RE LIVE!:

In regards to the hot-tub in the Sea Dog Tavern, when can i get this installed on my ship? It'd be worth it's weight

Gregg: You could flood the lower deck?

• Hey guys, good to have you and hope to see more Q&As like this for features, I'm sure it opens up avenues for different types of feedback and gets you thinking on the spot! I'll try preface a question with the thinking behind it below.

Competitiveness has been spoken about previously here, and I do understand why you may not have originally wanted to implement a competitive mode but it could help alleviate some ongoing problems. More serious reasons to play the Arena for better crews or those wanting more of a challenge would be great and allow for minor punishments to be dished out for leaving games as the vast majority of my games end up having 2 or 3 ships left in the end.

Alongside this, it's well known the plans to bring Arena tournaments around to events such as Battle for LA, potentially directly into the mode itself and for the community to be able to get involved.

Is a competitive mode something you chose to not implement (to begin with) to see how engagement was with Arena as it stands?

In regards to the parchment that players get when a match ends with the session's top teams and score amounts, as well as detailing how many points you gain or lose for each action, why does that only show up for a few seconds after a match and then disappear? Further, why does it not appear while waiting in lobby for the match to begin?

There's also been talk prior of the Man O War and additional modes, can it be surmised that the introduction of this great ship might come in conjunction with a new mode such as Fleet versus Fleet? I'm sure everyone loves to see huge ship battles and it would be great to have another level of team work between multiple ships introduced!

Thanks guys, hope you all have a nice day, it's hot down here in London!

• Hey :) I'm a big fan of the Arena, but i happen to play the game alone and i don't enjoy playing with random mates so much. Do you guys plan to let us play the arena on solo/duo-sloops and brigantines (just like a lot of games allow people to play as solo team, or 2-players team, etc.)

Also, being a big esport fan : do you guys plan to release some kind of ranked system ? Something looking like the Rocket League ranked system would fit the Arena perfectly

• @busyelephant Yes

@taaaamas said in Live Q+A: Gregg, Shelley and Jason talk all things Arena - WE'RE LIVE!:

In regards to the hot-tub in the Sea Dog Tavern, when can i get this installed on my ship? It'd be worth it's weight

Gregg: You could flood the lower deck?

The lower deck of a galleon doesn't have the grog barrel.

• @clumsy-george said in Live Q+A: Gregg, Shelley and Jason talk all things Arena - WE'RE LIVE!:

You know , or may not know , that the "feel" of the game is the most important to me than the great graphics , Music and Sounds...People , Pirates to be correctly , make or break a gamesession , Arena or Adventure game alike… In Arena ,those feels are always swirling around two extremes : Or they are very hostile towards persons gameTalent or accent they carry , or the atmosphere is so Great and pleasant that even God , like always hiding in the shadow ,takes a seat and laughs along with all of us...But ...Now , the server changes crews immediatly after one match , while sometimes the five teams were having the fun they hadn't experienced in months...Is there no possibility to choose either to leave or have a "rematch" with the Pirates that also want to stay?

Shelley: We are currently looking at giving players the control to find new rivals rather than doing it automatically. This is something we got great feedback from for our Insiders.

• @muse986 it'd be entirely worth it

• Hey guys! Thanks for this wonderful Q&A. I’ve read and learned a lot from your answers.

Once the dust settles on ping, matchmaking, etc. — are there any thoughts or plans towards a ranked or competive arena side? For those of us who love the pvp side of this game and esports in general it would be super cool to play arena more competitively!

Thanks! -StirFry

Views
75 out of 111