Live Q+A: Gregg, Shelley and Jason talk all things Arena - NOW FINISHED

• @muse986
    Any thoughts on a guild system? Where one can join/recruit pirates for pirate guilds and match up against other guilds in arena or even play with them in adventure mode? (Maybe even exclusive customizations like a ship-name plate in guild ships)

• @eggamer13 I'm not asking an Arena specific question.

• @muse986 said in Live Q+A: Gregg, Shelley and Jason talk all things Arena - WE'RE LIVE!:

@its-vill said in Live Q+A: Gregg, Shelley and Jason talk all things Arena - WE'RE LIVE!:

a lot of people are still leaving matches when the lead becomes to great and there’s 10-20 minutes left in the match for them to still lose.
    Are there any new game modes that are going to make matches shorter, as to keep people in their matches?

(Also thank you for all you have done and taking time for a Q&A)

Gregg: We're looking at different ways of encouraging people to stay in The Arena. Part of that is improving the contest experience. We're also considering consequences for repeated quitters.

Great to see that there might be consequences for quitters (hopefully rewards for staying) and I do hope that means new quicker matches in the near future.

Thanks for addressing my question!

• @entspeak said in Live Q+A: Gregg, Shelley and Jason talk all things Arena - WE'RE LIVE!:

@eggamer13 I'm not asking an Arena specific question.

Well, you are not in the right place then!

• Hello! I was wondering if there are any plans to introduce season based events in arena with season based rewards? Seems easy enough to apply and would keep people coming back with reasons to play.

• @EGGamer13 Derp. You're right. Lol.

• Hey Guys! A couple questions that ive been wondering over the past two weeks...

~ Is hit reg on the guns specifically being looked at?

~ The ping on servers is extremely high 99% of the time and hasnt ever gone below 40.. this goes for streamers i watch was well. What goes with the server issues and high ping?

~ Any defense coming to all these AFKs in arena grinding the rep for days to max out? Thats a bit frustrating to see constantly..

~ Last question, the broken basic matchmaking... is it just clumping everyone together when you search or is there actual ping based matchmaking? On that note, can we get some kind of system that puts Legends/high level pirates together versus being stuck with 3 random sailors who have never seen arena or a sail for that matter. Its extremely frustrating to be matched with people that arent on the same level as you and just kind of wander into arena because Adventure is a bust for PVP but have never touched arena or been on a larger ship.

• Will there ever be other "arena modes"?

I can easily see a "capture the flag / rum", king of the waves, and even a smaller pirate on pirate arena (after some continued work on the combat.

Additionally, can we expect more variety to the types of maps in the default mode? I would be quite interested in a random chance of a "hard mode" map that has skeletons / threats, but better loot.

• My third question:

In the "Official Sea of Thieves Content Update: The Arena" we can see a ship skin with a moon in it, that I remember seeing it in the Insiders, but you decide to change it to the Regal Hound. Why did you change this?

• Thank you for doing this Q+A! I just have one question for you:

Do you plan on having arena events where in-game features change temporarily, such as a different point system or swords only?

• @skulliah said in Live Q+A: Gregg, Shelley and Jason talk all things Arena - WE'RE LIVE!:

Ahoy!

First, I'd like to thank you for doing this Q&A (and especially here on the forums). In a way, I hope this is the beginning of a series of Q&A around different topics as I'm sure I can't be the only one with a lot of questions about the mechanics and the lore for Tall Tales and other things!

That being said, let's get back to The Arena!

Alright, first, I want to know who is this skeleton at the top of the tavern below the horns! 😁

Do you have any funny anecdotes to tell about the development of the arena?

Lesedi or DeMarco? 😇

Treasure Hunting is the first iteration for the arena, but have you already considered/prototyped other types of contests?

You built a gorgeous tavern, both inside and outside. And speaking about the outside, there are a lot of things around the tavern, including a dock for each team with their respective banner. And these great horns... Do you plan to do something with all that?

Is there some lore/backstory for each team's name?

Could we see special events or special chests during a contest in the future?

Could we see in the future an editor for everyone in the community to create and share their own arena contests and rules?

And finally, please tell me Leopoldo is not dead and he will be back!

Shelley: Rumours have it that there's a clue to Leopoldo's disappearance on Sailor's Bounty... (if we recall correctly)

The group are struggling under the pressure of being funny to come up with anecdotes!

Shelley: How could you possibly separate the Pirate Lord's children? Shelley sits on fence

Jason: DeMarco

Gregg: I prefer Dimitri

Shelley: There are plans for the tavern... air of mystery

Gregg: The backstory of the team names is that they're all based on dogs! The colour of the ship and dogs.

• Please can we have an eta on opt out xplay. Pc have a clear unfair advantage over console players.

• In the Past, the Community have invented new game modes , like Skull ball , Beacon Brawlers and many more ...Are there plans to finetune or give these gamemodes a "Rare" touch and introduce them too towards the game?

• Any plans to put a notification on screen when some one leaves or joins your crew in Arena (and Adventure). Will stop me from stalking to myself half the time :)

• @clumsy-george said in Live Q+A: Gregg, Shelley and Jason talk all things Arena - WE'RE LIVE!:

Hello Mrs Preston, Mr Cross and Mr Mayles , when designing the Arena and it's Tavern , did you never had the fear that the "general internet mentality" which is sometimes very sour ,could destroy the love from Sea of Thieves fans for the game?

Hey @Clumsy-George

We want to encourage all types of stories in Sea of Thieves. We trust in the strength of our community and that inspires us to do more.

• Hey guys, congrats and any chance that the arena ship livery could be purchasable for our ships in adventure mode?

• In regards to the hot-tub in the Sea Dog Tavern, when can i get this installed on my ship? It'd be worth it's weight

• Will we see other Arena competitions?
    For instance, I feel like a race competition would be great! One where it includes cursed cannonballs only, that are found in floating barrels. Since the cursed cannonballs don't do damage, it'd be like a high seas Mario kart.

• @taaaamas said in Live Q+A: Gregg, Shelley and Jason talk all things Arena - WE'RE LIVE!:

In regards to the hot-tub in the Sea Dog Tavern, when can i get this installed on my ship? It'd be worth it's weight

Yes please!

• @jetorchidee97 said in Live Q+A: Gregg, Shelley and Jason talk all things Arena - WE'RE LIVE!:

Ahoy and thank you for this Q+A!

My question is : are you considering to add more modes to the Arena (fleet vs fleet, races, asymetric Xv1 man o war, etc)?

Shelley: We are excited about the potential for lots of game types in Arena but our immediate focus is making the experience that we have the best it can possibly be for players!

We're improving matchmaking, looking at ways to improve the open crew experience, reducing quitting and trying to ensure contests are more competitive!

• @muse986 👍🙌👌

• You know , or may not know , that the "feel" of the game is the most important to me than the great graphics , Music and Sounds...People , Pirates to be correctly , make or break a gamesession , Arena or Adventure game alike… In Arena ,those feels are always swirling around two extremes : Or they are very hostile towards persons gameTalent or accent they carry , or the atmosphere is so Great and pleasant that even God , like always hiding in the shadow ,takes a seat and laughs along with all of us...But ...Now , the server changes crews immediatly after one match , while sometimes the five teams were having the fun they hadn't experienced in months...Is there no possibility to choose either to leave or have a "rematch" with the Pirates that also want to stay?

• @captain-izaya said in Live Q+A: Gregg, Shelley and Jason talk all things Arena - WE'RE LIVE!:

Salutations!

I'm here on more of a Lore quest rather than a general inquiry into Arena mechanics.

So, to start:

The (not so) kind lady outside the Arena tavern, Amaranta, would you mind giving us a bit more information on her?

She seems less than fond of the twins, and us eagle eyed lore fanatics have spotted those stabbed portraits of the two and she appears to be the most likely culprit.

If she's so hostile towards the pair, why do they let her stay apart of the Sea dogs if she's just telling every Pirate that comes her way of her own plans to Hijack their position as Owners/founders?

To me she seems very reminiscent of Wanda and how her animosity towards Pirates and her own self centered goals led her down the path to becoming a Skeleton Lord.

Could the same fate be in store for this smug poor sport?

Shelley: I wouldn't put her in the same camp as Wanda. She's just a bit disillusioned.

Gregg: A corporate falling out. She thinks she could do a better job than them! She's trying to recruit pirates to her cause.

Shelley: She has been demoted to outside the tavern only.

Gregg: They don't like confrontation outside The Arena so they put her outside. Not great HR skills!

• @moronicstraw said in Live Q+A: Gregg, Shelley and Jason talk all things Arena - WE'RE LIVE!:

@clumsy-george said in Live Q+A: Gregg, Shelley and Jason talk all things Arena - WE'RE LIVE!:

Hello Mrs Preston, Mr Cross and Mr Mayles , when designing the Arena and it's Tavern , did you never had the fear that the "general internet mentality" which is sometimes very sour ,could destroy the love from Sea of Thieves fans for the game?

Hey @Clumsy-George

We want to encourage all types of stories in Sea of Thieves. We trust in the strength of our community and that inspires us to do more.

I appreciate this answer as I’ve been saying to others “when you walk into a bar in real life, it might be calm, or you might hear some off the wall comments”
    It’s the possibility of both that makes for exciting (both positive and negative) stories!

• @oo-prentiss-oo said in Live Q+A: Gregg, Shelley and Jason talk all things Arena - WE'RE LIVE!:

Hi to our lovely devs!

1 Question and 1 idea:

(?) Can we ever have animals and weather removed? It’s such a nuisance to be trying to covertly swim chests under an enemy’s nose only to get attacked by packs of sharks. Also, having our game start with our ship in the storm and hearing it be torn apart wastes valuable resources. I know it’s to add appeal and a little more depth, but honestly the other players and ships currently provide all we need in 24 mins without obstacles being thrown in the way. It should be player skill versus player skill only.

(idea) I absolutely love Arena, I’m good at it, I excel at PvP, sailing, repairing, tapping, etc. and think it’s an incredible adventure. The problem is most of my crew are adventurers who don’t enjoy the Arena bc of the lack of their ability to PvP. They excel at tapping and sailing, repairing, but not PvP. This is great if you’re looking to just get ship cosmetics, but if you’re looking to unlock everything it’s a bit too much.

My suggestion is that like the chests...team kills be shared with the entire team...even if that means increasing the overall numbers. One player gets a sniper kill, the whole crew does. I don’t want adventurers to hate Arena bc they’re not good at a small aspect. I think sharing the glory throughout all the team would help adventurers transition.

As always thanks for everything y’all do for our community. I truly love this game.

You've started a debate @Oo-Prentiss-oO about the player kills!

Gregg: We want to retain some emergence in Arena. That's just Sea of Thieves! It's finding the right level of unpredictability.

Shelley: Don't forget you can cook animals to change your strategy...

Gregg and Shelley continue arguing

• Any hope for seeing different ship types out in the Arena seas? I've avoided playing quite a bit due to having been solo for a year

• @muse986 said in Live Q+A: Gregg, Shelley and Jason talk all things Arena - WE'RE LIVE!:

@jetorchidee97 said in Live Q+A: Gregg, Shelley and Jason talk all things Arena - WE'RE LIVE!:

Ahoy and thank you for this Q+A!

My question is : are you considering to add more modes to the Arena (fleet vs fleet, races, asymetric Xv1 man o war, etc)?

Shelley: We are excited about the potential for lots of game types in Arena but our immediate focus is making the experience that we have the best it can possibly be for players!

We're improving matchmaking, looking at ways to improve the open crew experience, reducing quitting and trying to ensure contests are more competitive!

How long until we might hear about new gametypes/contests, and any vague sea of teases as to what the team has agreed most for what new ones could be added? Pretty please?

• @natiredgals said in Live Q+A: Gregg, Shelley and Jason talk all things Arena - WE'RE LIVE!:

Thanks for this, devs! And congrats on your promotion Shelly!

Crossplay, the Opt Out. We're still hanging on very little info, its been 5mo. since it was originally announced. Give us a little sign of life here because I've got Xbox friends I'd love to see come back to the game but they wont while they're forced to pay to play at a disadvantage.

Thanks again for all your hard work, Love the game cant wait for whats next!

Hey @NatiRedGals

Shelley: Thank you!

Jason: We are actively developing input-split matchmaking. This feature has been more complicated to create than expected and we continue to work hard to get you all the right approach.

When there is news, Joe will let you know through the Developer update.

• @taaaamas
    Yes, it's been commented on the first page I believe, they mentioned sloops and Brigs are now in insider for testing. Release unknown.

• @marius said in Live Q+A: Gregg, Shelley and Jason talk all things Arena - WE'RE LIVE!:

Any plans to bring more or time limited cosmetics towards the Sea Dog faction to incentives playing Arena for us high level Sea Dogs?

I'm currently level 45 Sea Dog, all commendations completed (besides Iron Sea Dog) and besides the Legendary Sea Dog weapons (28 1st place wins away from that one), I'm finding no incentive at all to keep playing Arena.

Please bring in new ship/figurehead cosmetics. They're called Sea Dogs, but the cosmetics are seriously lacking any animal motif behind them where all the titles are animal related.

Shelley: There will be more cosmetics and commendations coming to The Arena!

• @marius oh ok thanks, ill go check that message out :)

• @xcalypt0x said in Live Q+A: Gregg, Shelley and Jason talk all things Arena - WE'RE LIVE!:

I'm not sure if the ship spawn locations are always the same but there are definitely games where ships spawn different distances away from islands or the islands have drastically different numbers of chest.

This can make the game feel very RNG based because one ship can be at a serious advantage right off the bat.

Would it be possible to standardize the spawns in some way so that each ship is equidistant to the islands or the islands have more similar numbers of chests?

Gregg: Just being first to the island doesn't guarantee a win. Being there first isn't always a winning strategy. We've lost contests before this way!

Shelley: What it does give you is that The Arena can play out differently each time. That's a huge strength, not knowing what maps you'll have. You have to adapt your strategy moment to moment as the contest evolves.

• Regarding weather, storms in particular:

1 person on repairs, 1 person glued to the wheel, 1 person navigating via the map... it's a chore to play in the storm. Bear in mind that many crews are not communicating with each other because they're in parties or simply don't have mics.

I'd be surprised if this issue wasn't raised during the insider testing. Can storms be removed?

Sharks: for the love of god please consider reducing the number of sharks. This has become especially relevant since the anchor damage change. Trying to board from a sneaky distance is pretty difficult now.

Now that I'm close to maxing everything out, will there be scope for different weapon skins? 240 wins is my next goal but after that I'll be lacking incentive.

I play Arena every day. It's a great game mode.

• In The Arena tavern there are a lot of props that can lead to some interesting player behaviour. It could be nice if there was something like a lever or so that when you interact with it, the "trumpets" of the tavern will make sound. This could also be introduced in adventure mode, it could be very nice making a noise with that and hear it across all the map 🤣

• @moronicstraw said in Live Q+A: Gregg, Shelley and Jason talk all things Arena - WE'RE LIVE!:

@natiredgals said in Live Q+A: Gregg, Shelley and Jason talk all things Arena - WE'RE LIVE!:

Thanks for this, devs! And congrats on your promotion Shelly!

Crossplay, the Opt Out. We're still hanging on very little info, its been 5mo. since it was originally announced. Give us a little sign of life here because I've got Xbox friends I'd love to see come back to the game but they wont while they're forced to pay to play at a disadvantage.

Thanks again for all your hard work, Love the game cant wait for whats next!

Hey @NatiRedGals

Shelley: Thank you!

Jason: We are actively developing input-split matchmaking. This feature has been more complicated to create than expected and we continue to work hard to get you all the right approach.

When there is news, Joe will let you know through the Developer update.

Thank you for your response, but I'm sorry I have to ask for clarification. Input split is not the same thing as what was announced. I'm afraid you're going to severely disappoint a lot of Xbox players if what was announced isnt delivered. I apologize but as much as I appreciate that you responded, this answer shakes my confidence that what's important to a large number of Xbox players is important to the Dev team.

Views
62 out of 111