Live Q+A: Gregg, Shelley and Jason talk all things Arena - NOW FINISHED

• Hi all!

We've grabbed three developers to answer your questions and this time we're all about The Arena. We'll be joined by Creative Director Gregg Mayles, Lead Designer Shelley Preston and Producer Jason Cross.

THANKS FOR JOINING US!

Views
  • Hi Gregg, Shelley and Jason!

My first question is:

When are we going to be able to play with sloops and brigs in the Arena?

• Abhoy Shelley, Gregg and Jason,

thank you for doing this Q&A!

My question is, with the recent changes to the Capstan Damage System in mind, would you consider bringing Anchorballs back into the Arena?

We know that Cursed Cannoballs were in Arena at some point during testing, but got removed for balancing reasons (seeing as Cursed Cannoballs could only be found randomly/by chance).

Personally i do love the current changes to the Capstan Mechanics, but i also see the value of being able to tactically drop another Ship's Anchor from afar (especially in Arena) - which is why i think adding Anchorballs back in to the Arena would be a viable alternative.
    You could add them as a base supply in one of the cannonball barrels of each ship for balancing reasons, so nobody is at a disadvantage due to RNG.

Would love to hear your thoughts on this, as i'm sure this topic has come up internally!

Cheers again!

• @muse986

Hey team, I have both praise AND a question for you... I'll keep it brief!

Praises

I love The Arena and I'm always super appreciative of your hard work on Sea of Thieves! The Arena has set up an incredible foundation for a fun competitive mode.

It provides that competitive support for the game whilst also being careful not to steal the spotlight from the shared world Adventure that makes Sea of Thieves what it is.

Thank you for everything!

Question

The Glorious Sea Dog clothing set is currently incomplete. It is missing pants, a belt, boots, and a peg leg.

Will we see these items added to the game soon? I'd really love to complete this set!

• a lot of people are still leaving matches when the lead becomes to great and there’s 10-20 minutes left in the match for them to still lose.
    Are there any new game modes that are going to make matches shorter, as to keep people in their matches?

(Also thank you for all you have done and taking time for a Q&A)

• Ahoy!

First, I'd like to thank you for doing this Q&A (and especially here on the forums). In a way, I hope this is the beginning of a series of Q&A around different topics as I'm sure I can't be the only one with a lot of questions about the mechanics and the lore for Tall Tales and other things!

That being said, let's get back to The Arena!

Alright, first, I want to know who is this skeleton at the top of the tavern below the horns! 😁

Do you have any funny anecdotes to tell about the development of the arena?

Lesedi or DeMarco? 😇

Treasure Hunting is the first iteration for the arena, but have you already considered/prototyped other types of contests?

You built a gorgeous tavern, both inside and outside. And speaking about the outside, there are a lot of things around the tavern, including a dock for each team with their respective banner. And these great horns... Do you plan to do something with all that?

Is there some lore/backstory for each team's name?

Could we see special events or special chests during a contest in the future?

Could we see in the future an editor for everyone in the community to create and share their own arena contests and rules?

And finally, please tell me Leopoldo is not dead and he will be back!

• Hello Mrs Preston, Mr Cross and Mr Mayles , when designing the Arena and it's Tavern , did you never had the fear that the "general internet mentality" which is sometimes very sour ,could destroy the love from Sea of Thieves fans for the game?

• Hi Shelley Preston, congratulations on the promotion, much deserved.

Will arena change meta or introduce new changes similar to other competitive games like League of Legends (season changes, patch balances) in order to keep it fresh for players?

For example, special events would be really cool:

• Cursed Cannonball events where each ship only gets X amount of starting cannonballs.
    • TNT events where ships fire TNT out of the cannons.
    • Large crew events, where Galleons have 6-8 players per ship instead of the standard 4.
  • Hi Gregg, Shelley and Jason!!!

Any chance we will see more game types in the future... such as maybe a "Capture The Chest" type?

-Captain Swag Pants (RitchieSH)

• Ahoy and thank you for this Q+A!

My question is : are you considering to add more modes to the Arena (fleet vs fleet, races, asymetric Xv1 man o war, etc)?

• SOT is by far my favorite game, keep up the great work!

Currently Blunderbusses have a one shot kill up close while aiming down the sites. I use it primarily for defending/boarding and clearing out an entire crew, but I feel it's over powered as a one shot kill weapon when all other weapons take at least two shots or a combo of shot/sword to vanquish a foe.

Are there any plans to reduce the blunderbuss' 100% health damage to, let's say, 98% health damage. To increase the fun of combat and the PVP dance and strategy when combating other players?

If a blunderbuss fires out 10 pellets doing 10% damage each. Each pellet can get a 0.1% decrease and still have a 99% health decrease in a point blank aimed down the site blunderbuss shot, giving the victim a slither of a chance to escape or fight back leading to more interesting combat and stories, rather than "oh, I got blundered end of story"

• @muse986 I was wondering if interactive figureheads will ever exist?

I.g hungering megaladon figurehead bites as you ram an enemy form of interactive, spinal slashes ect.

• Salutations!

I'm here on more of a Lore quest rather than a general inquiry into Arena mechanics.

So, to start:

The (not so) kind lady outside the Arena tavern, Amaranta, would you mind giving us a bit more information on her?

She seems less than fond of the twins, and us eagle eyed lore fanatics have spotted those stabbed portraits of the two and she appears to be the most likely culprit.

If she's so hostile towards the pair, why do they let her stay apart of the Sea dogs if she's just telling every Pirate that comes her way of her own plans to Hijack their position as Owners/founders?

To me she seems very reminiscent of Wanda and how her animosity towards Pirates and her own self centered goals led her down the path to becoming a Skeleton Lord.

Could the same fate be in store for this smug poor sport?

• Hi to our lovely devs!

1 Question and 1 idea:

(?) Can we ever have animals and weather removed? It’s such a nuisance to be trying to covertly swim chests under an enemy’s nose only to get attacked by packs of sharks. Also, having our game start with our ship in the storm and hearing it be torn apart wastes valuable resources. I know it’s to add appeal and a little more depth, but honestly the other players and ships currently provide all we need in 24 mins without obstacles being thrown in the way. It should be player skill versus player skill only.

(idea) I absolutely love Arena, I’m good at it, I excel at PvP, sailing, repairing, tapping, etc. and think it’s an incredible adventure. The problem is most of my crew are adventurers who don’t enjoy the Arena bc of the lack of their ability to PvP. They excel at tapping and sailing, repairing, but not PvP. This is great if you’re looking to just get ship cosmetics, but if you’re looking to unlock everything it’s a bit too much.

My suggestion is that like the chests...team kills be shared with the entire team...even if that means increasing the overall numbers. One player gets a sniper kill, the whole crew does. I don’t want adventurers to hate Arena bc they’re not good at a small aspect. I think sharing the glory throughout all the team would help adventurers transition.

As always thanks for everything y’all do for our community. I truly love this game.

• @thor-von-blitz said in Live Q+A: Gregg, Shelley and Jason talk all things Arena - WE'RE LIVE!:

Abhoy Shelley, Gregg and Jason,

My question is, with the recent changes to the Capstan Damage System in mind, would you consider bringing Anchorballs back into the Arena?

We know that Cursed Cannoballs were in Arena at some point during testing, but got removed for balancing reasons (seeing as Cursed Cannoballs could only be found randomly/by chance).

Personally i do love the current changes to the Capstan Mechanics, but i also see the value of being able to tactically drop another Ship's Anchor from afar (especially in Arena) - which is why i think adding Anchorballs back in to the Arena would be a viable alternative.
    You could add them as a base supply in one of the cannonball barrels of each ship for balancing reasons, so nobody is at a disadvantage due to RNG.

Would love to hear your thoughts on this, as i'm sure this topic has come up internally!

Cheers again!

Hey @Thor-von-Blitz

As you mentioned we have tried these during the Arena's initial development, we found the random element unfair and moved to starting them inside the ships barrels. We still found this caused issues post ships sinking and again made battles unfair.

We love cursed cannonballs and are working on a solution to get these back into the Arena.

If you want to help with testing these out please join the insider program and keep an eye out.

• Thanks for this, devs! And congrats on your promotion Shelly!

Crossplay, the Opt Out. We're still hanging on very little info, its been 5mo. since it was originally announced. Give us a little sign of life here because I've got Xbox friends I'd love to see come back to the game but they wont while they're forced to pay to play at a disadvantage.

Thanks again for all your hard work, Love the game cant wait for whats next!

• Any plans to bring more or time limited cosmetics towards the Sea Dog faction to incentives playing Arena for us high level Sea Dogs?

I'm currently level 45 Sea Dog, all commendations completed (besides Iron Sea Dog) and besides the Legendary Sea Dog weapons (28 1st place wins away from that one), I'm finding no incentive at all to keep playing Arena.

Please bring in new ship/figurehead cosmetics. They're called Sea Dogs, but the cosmetics are seriously lacking any animal motif behind them where all the titles are animal related.

• Hello guys!

My question is.. Are you going to bring new modes to arena? More competitive modes, for example Last Ship Standing or a Capture the flag sort of style mode?

• Hi team!
    Any idea when Arena will be getting the opt-out feature? Thanks in anticipation...

• I'm not sure if the ship spawn locations are always the same but there are definitely games where ships spawn different distances away from islands or the islands have drastically different numbers of chest.

This can make the game feel very RNG based because one ship can be at a serious advantage right off the bat.

Would it be possible to standardize the spawns in some way so that each ship is equidistant to the islands or the islands have more similar numbers of chests?

• hello guys!

easy one... there is any E. T. A. about the feature that disable crossplay?

• @eggamer13 said in Live Q+A: Gregg, Shelley and Jason talk all things Arena - WE'RE LIVE!:

Hi Gregg, Shelley and Jason!

My first question is:

When are we going to be able to play with sloops and brigs in the Arena?

Shelley: We want to do this! In fact they're currently in the Insider build for experimentation. We are working towards finding the right approach for adding all the ship types into Arena whilst creating a fair and level competitive playing field.

• Ahoy dev masters. You're breathtaking.

Will Arena have lore behind story in the future? And will we be seeing npcs at the docks for each colored banner soon?

• In the Tavern , Arena Tavern , are some props that Pirates can use ...i mean the bathtub has an Achievement tied to it and we were once in the Tavern, climbed up the stage and started to tell jokes , the first reactions were a bit mixed , some told us to shut it but after a few minutes more and more Pirates started to talk jokes , in the end , even the no sayers were having fun and forgot to be toxic...Will there be in the future more "props" that could be used to change or even enhance the atmosphere ?...

i rather fight with a sportmanship or comaraderic attitude than being smudged in the Tavern and therefor subdueing , anger feels...

• @chronodusk said in Live Q+A: Gregg, Shelley and Jason talk all things Arena - WE'RE LIVE!:

@muse986

Hey team, I have both praise AND a question for you... I'll keep it brief!

Praises

I love The Arena and I'm always super appreciative of your hard work on Sea of Thieves! The Arena has set up an incredible foundation for a fun competitive mode.

It provides that competitive support for the game whilst also being careful not to steal the spotlight from the shared world Adventure that makes Sea of Thieves what it is.

Thank you for everything!

Question

The Glorious Sea Dog clothing set is currently incomplete. It is missing pants, a belt, boots, and a peg leg.

Will we see these items added to the game soon? I'd really love to complete this set!

We agree, that set looks great, it's my favorite! We have a plan for the future of Arena and we would like these to be a part of it.

We did have them, but DeMarco sold them...

• Hey guys, any plans to do something about early quitting crews and/or crew members that just stand around doing nothing or attached to a rubber band?

• Hi there Gregg, Jason and ofc Shelly, (Congrats With the Promotion!)

So here's a question for you all:

People have been asking for Smaller ships (I already read some questons here too), but what about bigger ones? If there's a place to test out how larger ships would work in sea of thieves I think the Arena is a perfect place to start!

And a second question:

Are we ever going to see the really pretty ship sets from the arena in the main game? I want that Lucky rover set so badly!

• Are there plans for a straight tdm mode in the arena or even battle royale? I think both of these modes would fit really well into the game and would offer up a new experience to boot. Either way love the game and appreciate the work you folks put into the game.

• Have you thought about introducing a 'deserter' penalty for people that leave the arena, or are there plans to stop arena from just being two or three crews by the end.

Also, what are your thoughts on losing a flat 50% of points when sunk? This would help make matches more winnable when there is a crew ahead by several thousand points.

• My second question:

Why did you decide to make The Arena tavern interior not accessible via Adventure mode and The Arena tavern exterior not accessible via The Arena itself? Is there a technical thing or just a design choice?

• Will you complete the sea dog set?

• @its-vill said in Live Q+A: Gregg, Shelley and Jason talk all things Arena - WE'RE LIVE!:

a lot of people are still leaving matches when the lead becomes to great and there’s 10-20 minutes left in the match for them to still lose.
    Are there any new game modes that are going to make matches shorter, as to keep people in their matches?

(Also thank you for all you have done and taking time for a Q&A)

Gregg: We're looking at different ways of encouraging people to stay in The Arena. Part of that is improving the contest experience. We're also considering consequences for repeated quitters.

• Allo devs!

Will there ever be variants for ship types? Not different paints, or larger/smaller ships, but different hull models for the sloop / brig / Galleon that can be purchased at the shipwright? Would love to see that kind of diversity to the ships!

• @moronicstraw said in Live Q+A: Gregg, Shelley and Jason talk all things Arena - WE'RE LIVE!:

@thor-von-blitz said in Live Q+A: Gregg, Shelley and Jason talk all things Arena - WE'RE LIVE!:

Abhoy Shelley, Gregg and Jason,

Cheers again!

Hey @Thor-von-Blitz

As you mentioned we have tried these during the Arena's initial development, we found the random element unfair and moved to starting them inside the ships barrels. We still found this caused issues post ships sinking and again made battles unfair.

We love cursed cannonballs and are working on a solution to get these back into the Arena.

If you want to help with testing these out please join the insider program and keep an eye out.

Cheers for the reply!

• @entspeak said in Live Q+A: Gregg, Shelley and Jason talk all things Arena - WE'RE LIVE!:

Allo devs!

Will there ever be variants for ship types? Not different paints, or larger/smaller ships, but different hull models for the sloop / brig / Galleon that can be purchased at the shipwright? Would love to see that kind of diversity to the ships!

I don't think this is arena specific

Views
13 out of 111