[Mega Thread] Barrel 2.0

• @capn-forge said in [Mega Thread] Barrel 2.0:

In general, this feels like a new system that will get more smoothing out, but for me the biggest issue is one of immersion. Now, instead of gamboling around islands and outposts, grabbing what resource I can rapidly and naturally, I have to fully stop and open a menu at every single barrel.

Trying to frantically grab items on the ship in a crisis is much more complicated, especially while fighting scurvy dogs. (PVP nana-grabs are a thing of the past) Trying to use this screen to grab things out of sinking or bobbing barrels is almost impossible. It slows the game way down, and forces you to look at a menu for far more time than every before.

I guess, my big question is, What is the benefit of this change? Okay, it allows barrels to hold multiple objects, but I have to ask....is this important? Other than Curse management, what benefit does shattering immersion in this way give us?

Would it be difficult to limit this system to a single "Cursed Barrel" on the ship, and simply leave all barrels as they were, with a small chance of "Cursed cannonballs" spawning in barrels normally?

I agree with you. It does distract and take away from the game too much of what players have come to love and enjoy about SoT. The rpg/mmo style inventory menus feel out of place for this game. It can be fixed if they want to fix it.

The look, feel, and pace that made SoT what it is can come back. They can make it happen. Let's hope that they listen and are not stubborn about it. They have the power to make it more true to the game they developed and game us.

• Liked:

• Multiple Items per barrel
    • Auto switching (removal of item from UI) when unloading cannon balls and cursed cannon balls to ship barrel.
    • On-click red color indication to show you are full of that resource when loading.
    • Firing cursed cannon balls

Disliked:

• No empty indication on barrel
    • No auto switching (removal of depleted item from UI) when loading items from barrels.
    • Inconsistent "before-click" color/enabled/disabled/unselectable indication to show you are full of that resource (for non depleted items).
    • Having to press menu, then Rb, then select appropriate CCb, then load into cannon.

Adjustments:

• Add empty indication on barrel
    • When loading items from a barrel into inventory, a depleted item in the barrel should disappear from the UI screen and the remaining items should auto-slide-over (similar to how the loading of cannonballs works into the ship barrel from inventory).
    • When in the barrel, items you are full (or just filled up on) on should appear grey/red and/or disabled/unselectable.
    • Move the resources page to be the first page of the menu (rather than equipment). And/Or could make the equipment circular selector only show cursed cannon balls when on a cannon thereby allowing you to choose ccb's when on the cannon. And/Or could add another page to the equipment circular selector (accessed by additional "X" press) that has all the ccb's so that they could be selected without getting the full menu overlay.
  • @x-crowheart-x i really hope so mate, currently on holiday for the last couple of weeks and internet issues beforw that. Before today i have been hanging out to play.

Now i am devastated that they ripped away the best aspecr of this game.. the inventory system.

Cheers rare, i hope the circleshake goea well on thia one.

• The beauty of SoT (to me) has always been its simplicity and elegance. This new system seems to run counter to this. While the the purpose of this new system (adding lots of new items down the line) sounds great, it also sounds potentially cumbersome. Fish, for example, sound like they're going to be a future, alternative food item. If they function exactly the same as bananas and go in the same radial slot, cool. I'm worried they won't though, and just add more clutter to the game. Cursed Cannonballs, while cool, have added a lot of clutter. There are around 12 different cannonball types now? I don't think it's necessary to have 12 different food types, unless the difference is purely cosmetic and functionality remains the same. Less is more.

• @treefittymonsta said in [Mega Thread] Barrel 2.0:

They tweeted. for some reason the feed has not been updating. I found this gem of a tweet and lol'd. https://twitter.com/SeaOfThieves/status/1035519984590618624?s=20

Equiped items slowly to avoid a crash. Lol

It is not funny to crash, but the wording of the response made me smile too. Many things can be enjoyed if done /slowly/. : )

• @jonaldinho said in [Mega Thread] Barrel 2.0:

When holding on the cannon, give us a radial that allows us to choose different types of cannonballs without having to go into the new resources menu.

I like the radial menu idea. I posted this morning also that using radial menus is the best solution and how they should work also. I forgot to mention the cannons as I was describing barrels. The radial menu is the way to go.

• Need barrels marked as "Empty" without opening, as stated many times. Add a key bind option for the Resource tab (R anyone?) and many an option to remove from the tab interface. Make open and close key the same; I kept running into a case where I had to escape to close a barrel instead of e/f. Finally add another lay to the equipment for cannon ball selection.

• Ay mateys!

The new layout for grabbing and stocking supplies a BIG miss hit or not?

This is why:

1: Taking years grabbing a fast banana in battles ruines PVP.

2: Big diss advantage xbox players. Take them even more time.

3: TIME

4: Annyoing

5: time?

Please react, share, love, or bottle and show our feedback to Rare.

A mighty pirate legend..

• @dutchyankee said in [Mega Thread] Barrel 2.0:

This new inventory system is clunky and unnecessary. SoT isn't a crafting game.

The strength of this game is being an easy, goofy, open-world sandbox where you have fun and shenanigans with friend and foe alike. Simplicity is what this game needs to succeed.

Make the CC's carry only items like Gunpowder Barrels.
    Give us back the old Barrel System!

the sand box needs toys though, and the old system wasn't scalable for toys.

• The inability to bind default keys is becoming much more of a nuisance now.

Previously, the only key I had a gripe with was the F key that I'm forced to use when toggling between inventory wheels. There is no option to bind that key. Annoying, but not a deal breaker.

Now there are addition key bindings for barrel menus that I cannot bind to custom keys, or more ideally, not binded to equivalent custom bindings.

I'm now forced to use the mouse to close barrels menu interactions, which as others have pointed out, is significantly impacting speed of gameplay.

For new players to the game, this probably doesn't seem like an issue. For us original players, it does feel like a negative gameplay experience that is introducing time penalties we are not used to for simple things like resource gathering and storage.

My most urgent recommendation to Rare (from my personal gameplay experience), is tweak the custom key binding system so players can customize all keyboard input. And also very importantly, don't introduce a large number of new key bindings when multi and contextual use of existing inputs will work fine.

One of Sea of Thieves greatest strengths is keeping the game simple and not burdening players with an exceasive amount of buttons/keys to play the game.

I like the new patch so far, the barrels system is going in the right direction for future conten I think, but Rare does need to tweak the system a bit for more efficiency and customizable player key/input bindings.

• Do we really need this barrel system? Its just bad, opening crates or barrels to hope for cursed cannonballs?!?
    If this system is needed for future items coming in game then u should build a complete diffrent storage system on our pirates, but make it fast Accessible, actually it would take too long to search all barrels on islands, outposts, and forts, btw how usefull are bananna barrels on skellyfort if u cant grab items when get hit by skellys?! ;)
    I know u can make it better, so just do it fast priority 1 for u Rare!!!
    Atm i only want get Bilge Rat commendations, otherwise u already got me nearly done with all Standart commendations,... this update take a lot stuff i wanted to do just away.
    Stocking up ur ship takes too much time, can just look for cursed cannonballs then get a few skellys down, thats it, everything else would take too much time now.

• @ever-reddy said in [Mega Thread] Barrel 2.0:

I can see why people are struggling with the new barrel/inventory system, but I can also see the need for something more than we had now that there are multiple flavours of a single item type.

Yes it very definitely needs some quality of life improvements, but insisting that Rare just scrap it and go back to the old system is an overreaction and rather short sighted in my opinion. Sea of Thieves is going to be constantly evolving and improving and Rare need to ensure that the systems they have in place meet future requirements as well as current.

So I really hope they don't have a knee-jerk reaction and scrap it, but instead use the feedback to improve the new UI. Personally I' would like to see:

• Empty barrels being marked as such
    • A 'hold to take all' option that takes everything you have room for in your personal inventory
    • The ability to swap cannonball types without having to open your inventory, e.g. using left & right on the D pad to toggle through them
    • A return to the original item caps in the ship inventory barrels

if you bind cannon ball you can cycle through them by repeatedly pressing it. PC users have a pretty big advantage here.

• @lizalaroo said in [Mega Thread] Barrel 2.0:

@aclassali I've removed your post as it comes across as being antagonistic and off topic. Might stir the other pirates up a bit too :D

Spamming, Baiting and Trolling
    Posts and threads that are created in order to spam, cause unrest or troll the community will be locked, deleted and the users involved warned.
    These actions can be and are not limited to:
    Creating threads, posts and content for the sole purpose of causing unrest
    Making off topic posts to derail the conversation
    Excessively using the same phrase, similar phrases, or gibberish
    Bullying and encouraging users to bully others.
    Ignoring the warning will result in a temporary ban from the Forums and a final warning. If the action continues, a permanent ban from the Forums will be issued.

Have no idea what post it was as I have posted a lot since yesterday but I highly doubt I said anything out of place.

• Put it back exactly how it was please . This is pathetically disgusting...

• @twiztedx187 said in [Mega Thread] Barrel 2.0:

Put it back exactly how it was please . This is pathetically disgusting...

While going back would be an easy fix and make a lot of pirates happy the devs said a new system is needed for the future of the game. If that is true and they cannot make the old system work with utilizing more barrels, crates, etc. on our ships, there will more than likely have to be a compromise that fits the game more and feels true to how it has been played so far.

• Just got flooded and sunk because of the slow plank grabbing from the ship. Rediculous..

• a backtracking would be more than a lot of old player do not do it again inventory and many told me stopped the game because of this update.
    and bullets cursed I do not see them interfering if we follow the logic of the order of souls.
    all his to help new ones sink the experienced boat ???

Just got flooded and sunk because of the slow plank grabbing from the ship. Rediculous..

I am not disagreeing with you. It has had more of a negative impact in all aspects of the game, not making it worth what it was intended for. None of my family and friends want to play now. I cannot blame them either. It is not the same.

The devs need to stop being silent now and offer a fix. There has been a lot said since the update dropped. It is probably not what they want to hear, but they need to listen and make a change regardless if they want to or not.

• I am a day player and legend. I have appreciated all the hard work and and improvements the Rare team has made up until this update. This new inventory system is disappointing. At the very least it breaks the immersion of the players experience. The menu system is clunky, with too many screens. I aggree with many of other posts, barrel access now requires too many inputs, and breaks the looting ability for supplies on the fly. Supply management is also far too clunky, same as before too many inputs. I love this game, and I have put a great many hours into my pirate story and have greatly expanded my friend list, but. Had this inventory system had existed from the beginning I would not have made it to legend. I wouldn't have put the time in as now so many tactics are now longer possible. I appreciate the need for a new expanded inventory system for the inclusion new items, but the system added feels like the same system used for the shop vendors added to every barrel. I had hoped the inclusion of the cursed cannon balls would be accessable in the inventory wheel, which has now become a quick access submenu that cannot be customized and doesn't have access the the newest and potentially most interesting combat item. I have faith that the team at Rare can make the experience work again. My post has grown a bit too long, but if any questions or opinions are asked, I will respond. Thanks

• @x-crowheart-x said in [Mega Thread] Barrel 2.0:

@treefittymonsta said in [Mega Thread] Barrel 2.0:

They tweeted. for some reason the feed has not been updating. I found this gem of a tweet and lol'd. https://twitter.com/SeaOfThieves/status/1035519984590618624?s=20

Equiped items slowly to avoid a crash. Lol

It is not funny to crash, but the wording of the response made me smile too. Many things can be enjoyed if done /slowly/. :

Totally agree it's not funny to crash. I've been complaining about the instability of the game since mid July. And yes submitting bug reports.

• @army0f111 said in [Mega Thread] Barrel 2.0:

I love this game, and I have put a great many hours into my pirate story and have greatly expanded my friend list, but. Had this inventory system had existed from the beginning I would not have made it to legend. I wouldn't have put the time in as now so many tactics are now longer possible. I appreciate the need for a new expanded inventory system for the inclusion new items, but the system added feels like the same system used for the shop vendors added to every barrel.

I feel the same way. My family and I finally saw becoming a legend on our horizon and was dedicating more time to play to achieve it. We were having a lot of fun in the process. Now doubt we will sail again if things remain like it is.

• Let me start by saying that I love this game. The real immersion into the character and the world is what really drew me to this game.

That being said, I think the new barrel UI for inventory dispels that illusion. I understand the need for a new inventory management system with the addition of the cursed cannonballs, but there's got to be a less clunky way of doing it. I logged on last night to check out the changes, and after playing around with the barrels for a bit, I just could not motivate myself to keep playing once I imagined what it would be like to be out at sea trying to grab resources quickly and I just could not do it.

There has got to be a compromise for this new system. Maybe a toggle for people who want it the old way.

I don't know, it just really made me want to stop playing.

• @capn-forge said in [Mega Thread] Barrel 2.0:

In general, this feels like a new system that will get more smoothing out, but for me the biggest issue is one of immersion. Now, instead of gamboling around islands and outposts, grabbing what resource I can rapidly and naturally, I have to fully stop and open a menu at every single barrel.

Trying to frantically grab items on the ship in a crisis is much more complicated, especially while fighting scurvy dogs. (PVP nana-grabs are a thing of the past) Trying to use this screen to grab things out of sinking or bobbing barrels is almost impossible. It slows the game way down, and forces you to look at a menu for far more time than every before.

I guess, my big question is, What is the benefit of this change? Okay, it allows barrels to hold multiple objects, but I have to ask....is this important? Other than Curse management, what benefit does shattering immersion in this way give us?

Would it be difficult to limit this system to a single "Cursed Barrel" on the ship, and simply leave all barrels as they were, with a small chance of "Cursed cannonballs" spawning in barrels normally?

the new barrel management is important for the future content and new items that can be stored in them like: Fish, meat, fabric for sails and other types of cannon ammo. saying that every new item should have their own barrel is not a good solution because it just gives you another barrel to keep track off and each ship have a different amount of barrels on it.

• Currently there's a speed disadvantage to xbox players due to the PC's ability to hover over resources and hold F to instantly stock max of x resource.

Xbox should feature a similar mechanic or just implement outright quick stock hotkeys to both consoles.

Also cursed cannonballs should be featured in the radial menu even if you have to sacrifice some of your equipment for their slot requipting would be easier than using the resource menu in a combat situation.

Nonetheless though, amazing update and I'm enjoying the new mechanics; keep it up sea dogs!

• You can see in the new behind the scenes https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1MQWQSR89w a new way to do inventory was necessary in the use of a row boat. It would have been nice if it was kept just for that particular container. Modifying it as has been suggested would be even better. Everything else could have been left alone. If not, maybe it all can and will be improved as everyone has been suggesting.

• I also think this barr2.0 update is disapointing. First time I tried I had already 5 planks in my inventory normally I can see in glimps when I am close to a barrel what is in it an also if I can collect it or if my inventory is full. Now I have to click every barrle and look if there is an item I can use, its kind of frustrating.

Why not make barrels like they where. Or make them open so you can see what's inside! And make it so that it fills automatic what you can carry....

@twiztedx187 said in [Mega Thread] Barrel 2.0:

Just got flooded and sunk because of the slow plank grabbing from the ship. Rediculous..

I am not disagreeing with you. It has had more of a negative impact in all aspects of the game, not making it worth what it was intended for. None of my family and friends want to play now. I cannot blame them either. It is not the same.

The devs need to stop being silent now and offer a fix. There has been a lot said since the update dropped. It is probably not what they want to hear, but they need to listen and make a change regardless if they want to or not.

Completely agree. They put this thread out there to get a feel of the community's response. There is no doubt about the majority's opinion. As a day one player since the beta and someone who has logged over 500 hours in this game, I've never complained about any patches, bugs, features, lack of features, etc. but I hate this barrel change. It just takes so much away. You wouldn't think so, but one of the best things about Sea of Thieves is the immersive gameplay, and this just takes that out. Not to mention all the other negatives regarding PvP.

I also agree that they need to address this ASAP by at least saying something like "We've read your feedback. We hear you. We're working on a change." If ever Rare needed to be receptive and responsive to community feedback, it's now.

Edit: I see that two hours ago, the Sea of Thieves page released this tweet: "Thanks for the patience as always. We are monitoring feedback on other hot topics that have arisen too and will address them in time."

Fingers crossed they do the right thing here.

whispers Roll this back

@savagetwinky The old system was perfectly scalable. The only thing they added anyways was cursed cannonballs. And those should have been carry and drop items like powder kegs in the first place.

MAYBE years down the road (if this game is still around) they might run into the necessity for this expanded inventory choice. But better to cross that bridge when you come to it. This new system is not right.

I agree with you. That is how those should work. There is also how row boats storage will work that this leads up to. Still can be improved though.

• @khaleesibot

• @dark-henrik-22 said in [Mega Thread] Barrel 2.0:

the new barrel management is important for the future content and new items that can be stored in them like: Fish, meat, fabric for sails and other types of cannon ammo. saying that every new item should have their own barrel is not a good solution because it just gives you another barrel to keep track off and each ship have a different amount of barrels on it.

Correct! Who does not want more content and things do and use in the SoT? The answer should be no one. A change has to happen. I think many just would like it to be better than what it is starting with. Something that accomplishes this goal, but remains true to the look and feel of the game.

• @khaleesibot
    The barrels should be able to be emptied by just pressing x and looked in by pressing y. I like the increased capacity of the barrels. But the banna and board barrels on the ship should keep the old interaction.

• @khaleesibot
    I also think you should be able to cycle through cannon balls by pressing a button while holding them.

@dark-henrik-22 said in [Mega Thread] Barrel 2.0:

Correct! Who does not want more content and things do and use in the SoT? The answer should be no one. A change has to happen. I think many just would like it to be better than what it is starting with. Something that accomplishes this goal, but remains true to the look and feel of the game.

I have already made two posts before on ways to improve on the Barrel system, ideas which no one here has so far noticed:

"I think a way to fix this is to have a "quick select" for the item that players use for the majority or have recently taken out of the barrel. It's basicly the original barrel system used along with the new barrel system.

So players can either run up to the barrel and pick up items like the 1.0 system or they can go into the barrel 2.0 inventory if they wanna take everything at once or manage their resources. What i am saying is, why use one of either systems when you can try and fit the two together.

There is an easy way to also fix people's complaint about "too large resource limits". Namely, put a max limit on how many planks you can have in the repair barrel and how many bananas you can have in the food barrel and so on. You can only have at max 100/200 planks/bananas in the repair/food barrel and only 200/300 cannonballs in the cannon barrel. Cursed cannonballs could have a much lower limit, like 10 or 5 cursed cannonballs in said barrel, if not lower."

its 1 extra button...

@savagetwinky The old system was perfectly scalable. The only thing they added anyways was cursed cannonballs. And those should have been carry and drop items like powder kegs in the first place.

MAYBE years down the road (if this game is still around) they might run into the necessity for this expanded inventory choice. But better to cross that bridge when you come to it. This new system is not right.

It wasn't though, if you have 100 different items you need 100 different barrels with the old system. Its not scalable at all. And we have 12 different cannon balls now. The extra time to collect a few cannon balls will be used up distributing them among your ship.

Views
547 out of 578