I Think The Hungering Deep has Quelled My Hunger for Sea of Thieves

• Let me just give you a quick history...

I was one of the people who pre-ordered the game. I could not got on the Beta at all, several support tickets raised and various solutions tried...but to no success. Still though I was hungry for SoT, encouraging friends to get it so we could team up and sail the Sea together...

I have some great memories playing with old friends and new. I really want SoT to be go to Star of a game.

However my experience of THD is mixed, I love the drum and speaker. I love the cosmetics and I really love Merrick and The Hungering One (sounds more epic then Meg).

My actual in game experience hasn't lived upto it though. From summoning the HO once, then getting pounded by .... blockers. To my final experience of 5 hours wasted in which I could of had the pleasure to watch paint dry instead... yes I used forums, the speaker, server hopping but to no avail (I'm getting Deja Vu here).

I love the game but I feel unless Rare do something about players being able to do proper organised party forming in game i.e. Then I think the appeal is wearing off fast.

I know you are meant to find people in the game to make the fifth person and any extra people or ships if your lucky. However this is really adding an role of the dice element to achievement unlocking. Which is more about luck than skill or tactics of the players....

Views
  • I killed Meg in two tries, both times I found people willing to help, or I am lucky or you play in servers with brainless PvPers.

Old Europe here.

• I know experiences are subjective but I had great success finding folks to team up with and enjoyed the battle. All my friends did as well.

• HD was monstrously bad. I wish it could've just been dropped in as a surprise but players demanded content asap, which I also can't blame either.

A lame outdated dialouge quest that left no impression on the player because the story occurs in a dead and empty world.
    Followed by a forced mechanic to fight a brain dead bullet sponge with 0 replayability.

• @ulfwizard said

I Think The Hungering Deep has Quelled My Hunger for Sea of Thieves

• I feel unless Rare do something about players being able to do proper organised party forming in game

Players are able to do that. It's called: don't kill the other crew. I know it's hard to believe, but they are out there. In large numbers as well. I'm one of those crews, I hope you'll have the pleasure of running into me in-game. Unless we're doing a fort, in that case you might as well sail the other direction because we are not letting you take over :)

• It is an event that was pretty much only possible to accomplish in the first 48 hours. It should never have been a requirement to have five people because you have no control over which server you join.

• @murkrage and I'm cool with that. I have no hate for PvP...just senseless PvP. I actual enjoy it myself win or lose...

• I honestly don't see a problem.
    What are you guys doing all the time where you cant find one! ONE! 1! guy to help summon the beasty and then shoot it into submission?

Simple calculus here.... You get on a galleon with likeminded people. That's 4
    You sail around do the quest and first you go to sharkbait cove. Se anyone there willing to help Profit. If not sail around use the speaking trumpet to find any crew willing to place a fifth person on board to summon the shark. Just to summon him, not even to kill it. and again profit.

• Yeah it actually took me 3 days to complete the hungering deep. Turns out the last crew that sank my ship and killed me multiple times at Shark Bait cove, were the very same ones to help me complete the quest. They felt so bad about what they just did they waited at shark Bait cove for me to give me a hand. They had actually thrown one of the guys on their crew in the Brig who instigated the initial attack. Two of them are now on my friends list.

They need to refine the way grouping works ingame. You shouldn't have to leave the game to find people to assist you on time sensitive missions.

• completing this is no simple task. i have been working on this since it started with absolutely no luck.

ive tried server hopping. bribing. approaching with friendly hails. even when getting attacked not fighting back. absolutely nothis has worked and i can say with the time put into it ive spent many days trying.

its actually frustrating to hear how easy it was for some people and yet others no luck at all

• @ulfwizard

Ahoy mate and we're sorry you felt that the experience was disappointing. However, we do know that Rare are carefully reading feedback from the event and will use this to inform future content and the way in which requirements are determined.

We have a mega thread currently for the Hungering Deep if you'd like to have a read here -
    https://www.seaofthieves.com/forum/topic/60929/mega-thread-the-hungering-deep?page=1

• I've fought Meg 11 times. No problems.

• @dislex-fx said in I Think The Hungering Deep has Quelled My Hunger for Sea of Thieves:

I've fought Meg 11 times. No problems.

Was it all in the first weekend? My crew missed the first weekend on a works party, but have not found a single crew to do it with.

Maybe just bad luck.

• There is frequent discussion about being able to select your server. While I completely understand the desire to have multiple ships of friends do THD it also undermines the whole point of communicating with other crews and working together with unknown players.

I think a bigger issue is that many of the players who want this are also the ones complaining about griefing. Do you really want those griefers to be sailing in packs? Do you really want to consistantly get crushed at skull forts because those 2-3 ship packs have already predetermined you don’t stand a chance?

Let’s face it, random servers are best.

• The only issue I encountered was the first time I fought Meg, someone on another crew blunderbuss'd me in the back while I was on the cannons firing at meg and killed me. I still got credit thankfully because of other crew members who were present still.

Fought it like 7-8 more times after that without issue and met tons of new friends along the way. 2 of the times there were 3-4 galleons and a sloop teaming up working together.

• @katttruewalker to be honest to further comment on this requires passion. After the last 5 nights I have nothing left but apathy right now for THD and in the main for SoT. What I currently have to say on it is already in this thread. I do thank you for your reply though

• @biter-wylie said in I Think The Hungering Deep has Quelled My Hunger for Sea of Thieves:

@dislex-fx said in I Think The Hungering Deep has Quelled My Hunger for Sea of Thieves:

I've fought Meg 11 times. No problems.

Was it all in the first weekend? My crew missed the first weekend on a works party, but have not found a single crew to do it with.

Maybe just bad luck.

This even includes not yesterday, but the day before.

• I'd rather the challenge be more from the event than the players. Finding crews that wanted to fight Meggy, was really tough. Dealing with Merrik campers, was also an issue. They'd come on board, pretend to be friendly, play music and dance, then just shoot you in the back.

Hey ... I get it. Some, if not most of you had amazing luck! I'm happy for you, I really am. My experience was really bad luck, pretty upsetting and exhausting. Last night I was really lucky, after about 7 hours of searching, sending Xbox messages, server hopping, waiting at Merrik and Meggy, I finally fought and won against Meg. I can accept all of this, if it in some small way can become a lesson for Rare.

With that all being said, I really enjoyed the actual event. And I absolutely loved the fight, despite the extreme stress, knowing that this was my only shot and if I failed, I'd never get the Meggy figurehead.

Please understand that this is feedback and not whining. Everyone had a different experience, this was mine.

• @geekster-t said in I Think The Hungering Deep has Quelled My Hunger for Sea of Thieves:

Last night I was really lucky, after about 7 hours of searching, sending Xbox messages, server hopping, waiting at Merrik and Meggy, I finally fought and won against Meg. I can accept all of this, if it in some small way can become a lesson for Rare.

According to today's patch notes, the next event again requires multiple crews to complete. Clearly, they haven't learned their lesson. It's such an unnecessarily arbitrary mechanic to force into a full-PvP game that it's just frustrating. It's contrary to the concept and to the application of time limited events. Rather than being able to take your time and do the event over the week while exploring without spoilers, you have to race to get it all done in the first couple of days while others still need it.

• @geekster-t dijo en I Think The Hungering Deep has Quelled My Hunger for Sea of Thieves:

I'd rather the challenge be more from the event than the players. Finding crews that wanted to fight Meggy, was really tough. Dealing with Merrik campers, was also an issue. They'd come on board, pretend to be friendly, play music and dance, then just shoot you in the back.

Hey ... I get it. Some, if not most of you had amazing luck! I'm happy for you, I really am. My experience was really bad luck, pretty upsetting and exhausting. Last night I was really lucky, after about 7 hours of searching, sending Xbox messages, server hopping, waiting at Merrik and Meggy, I finally fought and won against Meg. I can accept all of this, if it in some small way can become a lesson for Rare.

With that all being said, I really enjoyed the actual event. And I absolutely loved the fight, despite the extreme stress, knowing that this was my only shot and if I failed, I'd never get the Meggy figurehead.

Please understand that this is feedback and not whining. Everyone had a different experience, this was mine.

I understand your frustration, I also found two campers sloops in the uncharted island, for no reason, they got bored soon though...some cannonballs helped them to get bored.

But I think the mechanic is right, when you find good people willing to help it gives a good feeling.

In my opinion they just need to add a reward mechanic, if every time that you beat Meg you get gold or some kind of gift people would cooperate more, it's the reasonable thing to do, most of us don't travel with bootie anyways when doing one of these quests. Except brainless PvPers is absurd to attack people in these quests.

• @vilkatagrazioso I have a solution for Rare, which is not my one solution as it has been mentioned before by many players. Make the event give rewards out for repeat completions. That is ultimately were THD fell flat on its face for some of us players. People most of the time do not do good things out of true pure altruism. They do so for a I do, I'm rewarded basis. Whether that reward is immediate or longer in obtaining. Ultimately if it doesn't benefit themselves then get lost. This is human behaviour 101, and not directed at anyone in particular as it is everyone. Ultimately I myself play for fun, THD lost the fun fairly quickly. As I mentioned on another post, I have deadlines and hassle at work and in real life, I really don't need it in a game I am supposed to be playing for fun in my down time. Before anyone replies, I'm not knocking PvP either. As I enjoy that part of the game as well, just some of the senseless PvP that occured during THD. The combination of no reward for people to rinse and repeat and the senseless PvP that did enter in for some players created the perfect maelstrom of fail for a number of us.

• Tried again tonight. 90 minutes searching was all I could take though. Bon Voyage.

• Based on the stats that Rare recently released about player numbers, I calculated elsewhere that there are likely thousands of SoT servers spun up at any one time — certainly hundreds.

Finding another crew on the same server willing to join the fight was a coin-toss: Heads you do; Tails you don't. In the first few days, the coin was heavily weighted towards Heads. After that, the weighting shifted, and the chance of tossing Heads diminished.

I tossed Heads five or six times, and beat the Megalodon each time. But I also tossed a few Tails. In reading the forums here, some people had a run of bad luck, and never tossed Heads. Others seem to throw a string of Heads. Of course, many stopped playing after they won a single coin toss, which is what made it harder for others.

The problem was exacerbated by a disincentive to switch servers. You would get a ship, and sail — sometimes a long way — to Shark Bait Cove, filling your barrels with cannonballs, bananas and (most importantly) planks, along the way. So, when you got to Merrick and no other ships showed up, you would be reluctant to try another server because of the time spent gathering those resources.

• @melbufrauma said in I Think The Hungering Deep has Quelled My Hunger for Sea of Thieves:

The only issue I encountered was the first time I fought Meg, someone on another crew blunderbuss'd me in the back while I was on the cannons firing at meg and killed me. I still got credit thankfully because of other crew members who were present still.

Fought it like 7-8 more times after that without issue and met tons of new friends along the way. 2 of the times there were 3-4 galleons and a sloop teaming up working together.

Which is all fine and dandy, Just because you had that much luck does not mean everyone else did. I love people who post it is easy, yet not everyone's play experience is the same. I don't get what is so hard about that to understand.

• @ulfwizard killed the best for me one time 4 a frienf and one time 4 my gf and helped i dunno how many crew to kill him ( maybe 6 ) u probably been really unlucky or ur approach is not good i dunno i only supose here there many way to claim help giving chest or skull or only be nice with ppl pretty sur u tried some approach but dont be mad about it this game is about having fun with friends in my opinion u maybe focus too much on goal then the way too reach them and killed or not u can have the drum and the trompet so no big deal here its not like u lose the opportunity to get the best sword or gun in game only some bone on ur drum think about it

• @symbiosis519 I simply made a statement about my own experience, never said it was how it was for everyone. The fight is easy, incredibly easy. I'm not sure why you feel the need to have every post revolve around you and your own experiences.

• @melbufrauma said in I Think The Hungering Deep has Quelled My Hunger for Sea of Thieves:

@symbiosis519 I simply made a statement about my own experience, never said it was how it was for everyone. The fight is easy, incredibly easy. I'm not sure why you feel the need to have every post revolve around you and your own experiences.

My point was that not everyone has the same experience. I didn't make it about me or revolve around me, so I dunno where you could even get that from? If I came across as rude, for that I am sorry. I was just trying to make a point, that point being mileage may vary is all.

Again, about me? Color me confused.

• On principle.

No player should need to source a crew externally, if it can't be done in game, or is extremely tedious to do so, it is bad game design. Nothing else.

Gameplay loop, its the most common phrase in game design.

Sea of thieves gives you a tiny taste of something else to do, then forces you back into the same god awful voyages that literally are the same experience from lvl 1 to 50.

Views
1 out of 30