[Mega Thread] Open and Closed Crews

• alt text

Players now have two crew type options available to them, Open and Closed Crews.

• Open Crews: This option works in the same way you’re used to. For the Galleon, an open crew will match four players together while also replacing players who leave during a game. For the Sloop, two players will be matched together, with a leaving player being replaced when possible.
    • Closed Crews: This option allows a single player to begin a game on either a Galleon or a Sloop, allowing friends to join in when they’re available. You can now play with any configuration of players up to the limit on each ship, which is 4 players on the Galleon and 2 players on the Sloop, as well as preventing non-friends from being able to join you. This option replaces the 3 player Galleon and Solo Sloop options in the Main Menu.
    • Coming Soon: Additional functionality coming soon for Open and Closed Crews includes the ability to dynamically switch between Open and Closed while in the game, in addition to being able to make a session fully private by preventing friends joining.

We're looking forward to your feedback!

As you participate in this thread -

Keep to the Pirate Code
    As a reminder, the Pirate Code is more than just guidelines (though the reference really never gets old), but the rules of the community and game that we expect all members to abide by when participating on the forums. Any member who fails to abide by the code may find themselves put in the brig, or removed from the community.

We also have Forum Rules, which we moderate to.

Views
  • Perfect! Can't wait for more great content!

• Congratulations on releasing this update. May it be smooth as all the previous ones.

• Thank you ❤️

The soon to be added functionality of changing on the fly between open and private crews is a great addition. I’m pleased this will eventually be implemented.

I’m also grateful that you’d guys are sticking to two player sloops!

I do believe there should be a way to change ships at the shipwright though.

If I start in a sloop solo, I can invite my friend, perfect! However we should be able to exchange our sloop for a galleon (potentially for a price) and then I’d be able to invite two more friends in.

• Better late than never I guess. Kind of going to miss random idiots er... crewmates bombing my ship. Sometimes it's the only action I get in a session.

• So, if we are going from a 2 to a 3 player crew we will need to leave and start a galleon private crew? That isn't too bad.

Is there any way in the future you could add a feature that if a 3rd person was joining a full sloop it would warn you that the ship would scuttle in 5-10 minutes and a galleon spawn in its stead? Would give time to get to an outpost for any loot and save everyone leaving to start a galleon crew!

• Awesome. Now if there was only an easy way to switch between a Galleon and a Sloop dynamically in game. But I can see how that would be much harder to implement properly.

Use case is I always play with my husband but we have friends who will join us on their schedule. As 2 people a Sloop is perfect but depending on the day it may be better socially to play on a Galleon just in case one of them wants to join. Other case is we may start a game with a friend but they have a baby so end up leaving us driving this big ship alone. We could open the game but you never know if they might be able to come back.

• Really glad you guys didn't allow for 4 man sloops, it would have been a huge mistake.

• "Coming Soon: Additional functionality coming soon for Open and Closed Crews includes the ability to dynamically switch between Open and Closed while in the game, in addition to being able to make a session fully private by preventing friends joining."

I wish this was already in the game, but I don't mind waiting another patch.

• nice one!!

• The #DADSPirates Crew will be looking forward to trying this out, there will be alot more Galleons sailing the seas now, holding out for their friends to join in.

Still hopeful for a larger ship or some way slightly more than 4 can play together... since replying to a post on here we have created an Xbox Club, and thanks to playing with randoms on Galleons we have slowly recruited up to 30 members.
    Most nights we have around 6 pirates sailing at once but some times 2 full Galleons.

Would be great to play alongside each other... or even start a mutiny... (Dont trust anypirate)
    #DontPanicMrCaptain

• @thekitchner sorry I disagree, I would love for the option to have more people on a sloop.

I personally believe if you can reduce the crew required to sail a Galleon then why not allow similar flexibility with the Sloop.

I appreciate the disadvantage to solo players but it may just mean being more tactical about the way you play...

(This is purely my opinion because I enjoy playing the game with others compared to solo.)

• @dreamingnomad said in [Mega Thread] Open and Closed Crews:

@thekitchner sorry I disagree, I would love for the option to have more people on a sloop.

I personally believe if you can reduce the crew required to sail a Galleon then why not allow similar flexibility with the Sloop.

I appreciate the disadvantage to solo players but it may just mean being more tactical about the way you play...

(This is purely my opinion because I enjoy playing the game with others compared to solo.)

I almost exclusively play the game with a crew of 4 people on a galleon who like going around sinking people. 4 person sloop wouldn't have made things "more tactical" it would make a 4 man sloop the ultimate ship and everything else trash.

• YES Rare!!

I'm so glad you've stuck to 2 player max sloops and implemented this update. It looks like you've implemented it, in my opinion, the perfect way, with the dynamic in-game switch coming later that is perfect!

My confidence in Rare has just gone up a little and I'm really happy about that.

Perfect decision choice. Keep it going. Looking forward to switching on tonight and testing everything out!

• I really like the way it's implemented so friends can join by themselves instead of having a invite only system. I quite liked the way Diablo 3 used a similar system where you could just join active games of friends.

I'm guessing this will also mean you can now "Solo galleon" :)

• @mrgrim67686 said in [Mega Thread] Open and Closed Crews:

Better late than never I guess. Kind of going to miss random idiots er... crewmates bombing my ship. Sometimes it's the only action I get in a session.

There's nothing stopping you starting an open session so you can get your random idi...crewmates. Rare haven't taken that ability away.

• @thekitchner the tactical element of it is me thinking of how the sloop only has 2 cannons and if angled in a specific way, only 1 cannon can fire at the target...
    ... making the sloop less of a threat...

where of course (as you know) 4 cannons on 1 side of a Galleon is quite a threat.

Also, my comment of being more tactical is referring to solo slooping.
    No point firing if you can't win. Safer to run and fight another day.

• Thank god no four man sloop

• Yes! Great job developers at Rare! Thanks alot for this one.

• What a quality of life improvement!! Thanks guys! The solo adventure just got a lot more interesting

• @dreamingnomad said in [Mega Thread] Open and Closed Crews:

@thekitchner the tactical element of it is me thinking of how the sloop only has 2 cannons and if angled in a specific way, only 1 cannon can fire at the target...
    ... making the sloop less of a threat...

where of course (as you know) 4 cannons on 1 side of a Galleon is quite a threat.

Also, my comment of being more tactical is referring to solo slooping.
    No point firing if you can't win. Safer to run and fight another day.

Sloops are too easy to keep afloat with more than two people, and are able to sail around, fire cannons, and have two people boarding the enemy ship at the same time.

• YES?!?! its finally here thnx Rare ;)

• @khaleesibot Man, I was really hoping they would be adding the four players sloops with the private crews. Hopefully it'll be coming soon with Hungering Deep instead.

• I want rhe ability to switch from a Galleon to a Sloop without leaving the server even if I cant keep the supplies. That way if a friend gets on unexpectedly we can just make room withiut having to start on a galleon by ourselves just incase.

• @khol-thndrwlkr said in [Mega Thread] Open and Closed Crews:

@khaleesibot Man, I was really hoping they would be adding the four players sloops with the private crews. Hopefully it'll be coming soon with Hungering Deep instead.

won't happen. they already said they are introducing a new ship in the summer. Pays to watch the video updates...

• @xgodkevin Don't care. I'm still hoping that they'll add it in soon.

• @khol-thndrwlkr have fun on that long journey of hope.

• @mrgrim67686 who says that’s going to stop...
    After all, what are friends for

• @dreamingnomad you can reduce it all you want, but increasing it is the problem, what would be the point of galleons if you could just have 4 people on a sloop and run it much more efficiently

• Servers were up sooner than expected. Hopped on to try out closed crews. 1st attempt I did solo Galeon and inv friend after 5 mins. Game crashed with Almondbeard error. 2nd attempt solo sloop i didn't inv anyone but game crashed with same error after 20mins....maybe someone who has me on their friend s attempted to join me)

Anyone else having this problem? Maintenance must of finished early like previous weeks otherwise It shouldn't let me on.

• @chalkyhotdog Yeah same thing here, tried private crew twice and both times it has ended in almondbeard errors, just finished off a fort and it dropped out again only moments ago.

Don't know if it has anything to do with the private crew, but I'm gonna keep trying.

• @j-train13x
    "what would be the point of galleons if you could just have 4 people on a sloop "

• faster
    • more firepower
    • harder to sink
    • harder to board
    • easier to board from
    • more supplies
    • less affected by waves so more stable platform to fire from
    • looks better
    • it's more fun to sail as a team
    • higher mast so easier to keep watch
    • proper captains quarters
    • don't get knocked over board as easily
    • helm is in a better position compared to the sloop (boarders have to go up the stairs to get to helm, or go to the front to get to anchor - on the sloop, it's all in the same place)

Many advantages. Speed alone is a main selling point for me tbh. Sloops are just so friggin slow.

• Ever since the update on the 15 I keep getting kicked by almondbeard and losing my chests. Also give Xbox players a boost pc players are destroying us with mods.

• Thank you for keeping the sloop to max 2 players. :)

• Solo galleon is a mistake. Server hopping was bad before, now the 4 people involved can send out 4 different people into 4 different games instead of one to find forts, prepare for that to get a lot worse.. i dont think you should be able to start a galleon unless you have three people ready to go and save the slot for the 4th guy to join later

Views
16 out of 132