Blunder-Buss Nerf.

• The Problem

The Infamous Blunderbuss. And what I have coined the term "Blunder-Crutching", is a SENSATION among a Unique kind of player to SOT: Someone who has to have a crutch. Admit it, Both you and I have lost many a fight on the seas by that single little blunder shot. Night by multiple sword slashes, Multiple Shots from a sniper or pistol. (As im sure many of us have) But you KNOW that game-changing kill or death, was simply by a Blunderbuss.

• ** The Facts**

The Blunderbuss is the least skillful weapon in Sea of thieves. so many players say "Get good", when in reality the rely on a one-shot weapon because they refuse to use the other balanced weapons. You hear people even Cry "Sword Lord" a lot, but here are the facts about all the weapons.

The Pistol: Fastest time to kill, and strong hip-fire capabilities. With the fastest reload and one of the best weapons in close to mid-range combat, that pistol does half health per shot, making that quick reload one great way to clutch a kill.

The Sniper: The Slowest reload, but some strong damage. From long range to short range, the sniper is almost a SOT classic at this point. From the amazing Quick-scopes to the impossible hip-fire, The sniper is a well-balanced and iconic weapon. Most players have it as their backup.

The Sword: The Slowest time to kill weapon in the game. Taking 4 slices to kill someone, You have a large range of players who just left click, to masters of the sword who jump, lunge, and evade your every move. Almost an essential weapon in SOT, because of the movement it helps you achieve.

The Blunderbuss: The Easiest weapon in the game. It's one of two things, no Damage, or one tap, it is the most broken. Same reload as the pistol, can one tap all players, and is used by the newest, to the oldest players in Sea of thieves. Doesnt matter if you're amazing in the game, or the worst, that blunderbuss will help a crutcher take a kill.

What is Proposed

Its simple: Nerf the blunderbuss. Do either two things, make it do sniper damage (Which is a lot better) or make it do pistol damage (Which isn't preferred, but okay), and instead make it a HUGE knockback or stun weapon!

Views
  • "blunderbuss is easy"

"sword is easy"

"this is over powered, that is overpowered"

No to nerfs and yes to improving performance of all weapons

It all requires skill to perform consistently in reality

• YES YES YES

• @wolfmanbush

People like you always use excuse like "Get gud", you ignored all the blatant facts and evidence I was given. Why post here if you aren't even going to offer a non-run-of-the-mill rebuttal?

• @oda-ashina said in Blunder-Buss Nerf.:

@wolfmanbush

People like you always use excuse like "Get gud", you ignored all the blatant facts and evidence I was given. Why post here if you aren't even going to offer a non-run-of-the-mill rebuttal?

You presented an opinion of the weapon being the least skillful

I don't subscribe to telling people to "get good". Weapons are frustrating in this game because they don't perform as they were designed consistently, I understand why it frustrates people. The design isn't the issue it's the game performance during intense situations that are going to frustrate people.

I get why, I just disagree on the request as a response to the frustrations.

Blunder frustrates me too. Not that players use it, not that is designed how it is, but because it regularly is flawed in performance which isn't a design issue.

• @oda-ashina Blunderbuss was already nerfed. It's fine as it is. If they lower its damage it becomes useless.

• I would say get rid of the OHK, keep the knockback, and tighten the spread to increase the range.

Still the optimal gun for fighting on a ship but no longer the be all end all PVP weapon.

• @oda-ashina said in Blunder-Buss Nerf.:

@wolfmanbush

Because most of the "evidence" you submitted was anecdotal and a subjective opinion. Show me numbers instead of "fastest" and "easiest."

The challenge is, what you present is mostly preferential. Many double gunners and sword lords disagree that the sword is an "essential weapon"

• @lordqulex said in Blunder-Buss Nerf.:

@oda-ashina said in Blunder-Buss Nerf.:

@wolfmanbush

Because most of the "evidence" you submitted was anecdotal and a subjective opinion. Show me numbers instead of "fastest" and "easiest."

The challenge is, what you present is mostly preferential. Many double gunners and sword lords disagree that the sword is an "essential weapon"

Doing 100% health in 1 shot being the fastest and easiest way to kill someone isn't that difficult to believe.

You outpace healing, because obviously, and you only need hitreg to behave 1 time for it to kill.

• @oda-ashina "And what I have coined the term "Blunder-Crutching", is a SENSATION among a Unique kind of player to SOT"

Is it the person or the weapon?

The weapon seems fine, you have to get really close, were you standing still when you got roflstomped?

• @scheneighnay said in Blunder-Buss Nerf.:

@lordqulex said in Blunder-Buss Nerf.:

@wolfmanbush

Doing 100% health in 1 shot being the fastest and easiest way to kill someone isn't that difficult to believe.

You outpace healing, because obviously, and you only need hitreg to behave 1 time for it to kill.

But the flipside to that you need to be close to do it. Someone could double-tap you with EoR and flintlock before you close the distance. You could be kept at a distance with blunderbombs. You could get shot and then sword lunged before you close the distance.

The blunderbuss isn't a fire and forget weapon. It's not like you can just stand on deck and obliterate someone on another ship. Yes, you can one shot someone with it, but you can also whiff or only hit with a few of the pellets. There are layers of strategies and tactics that are being ignored in this thread and I'm simply not here for it.

I thought you were better than this.

It's a shotgun, mate.

The blunderbuss is a close/wide range gun that deals massive damage, the only "issue" with the gun, isn't even the gun itself, it's the consistency of it's damage output vs. time, connection, and location. Hit registration makes this gun the leading cause to boards that go wrong almost instantly in the middle of an engaged deck fight. Without that though, I think the blunderbuss is a fairly consistent weapon that's perfect for guarding ladders as players on ladders are usually tunnel-trapped in options.

I don't get why one would nerf something that already doesn't even work as intended most of the time because of unexpected desync. If people are winning more fights with a weapon (that you can also use) maybe they're using the weapon better than you?

• Personally if anything I think it should just do max 99% damage. Given the flow of the game and PvP I don't think it's proper to have a weapon that one shots. I'd like to hear arguments as to why we need a 1 shot weapon though

• @oda-ashina I honestly don’t think this needs to happen, at all. The blunderbuss fills it’s role perfectly by being the gun with stopping power at close quarters. By nerfing it, you just empower the players who are too good for combat. Yes. It is a crutch. It’s designed to be strikingly different to play against because it offers a recovery from a fight or a way to prevent them from happening.

What I’d rather see nerfed is the Sniper Blunder Meta, in the form of having the two “heavy” guns share ammo. That, or only allowing one heavy weapon to be equipped at a time. Both the sniper and the blunder have high kill potential and combined, they cover each other with an incredible safety net of overkill damage. One simply shoots the sniper and the blunderbuss’s only weakness, it’s spread, becomes moot as only 3 pellets need to hit for a kill to be guaranteed. It’s mind numbingly easy for that particular combo. Nerfing blunderbuss does not nerf that combo as any amount of damage over 30% is enough for it, and losing the ability to onetap just means less of those people could be killed before they become an issue.

I’m gonna have to hard disagree here. I think you’re shining the spotlight on the wrong combat issue right now.

• @lordqulex said in Blunder-Buss Nerf.:

@scheneighnay said in Blunder-Buss Nerf.:

@wolfmanbush

But the flipside to that you need to be close to do it. Someone could double-tap you with EoR and flintlock before you close the distance. You could be kept at a distance with blunderbombs. You could get shot and then sword lunged before you close the distance.

The blunderbuss isn't a fire and forget weapon. It's not like you can just stand on deck and obliterate someone on another ship. Yes, you can one shot someone with it, but you can also whiff or only hit with a few of the pellets. There are layers of strategies and tactics that are being ignored in this thread and I'm simply not here for it.

With the amount of bunny hopping, dancing around, and just the nature of ship-to-ship content, the chances of getting to close range without getting hit once are very high.

Scenarios where a long-range shootout occurs are exceedingly rare compared to some guy popping up on deck with a blunderbuss.

• @nex-stargaze said in Blunder-Buss Nerf.:

I thought you were better than this.

It's a shotgun, mate.

The blunderbuss is a close/wide range gun that deals massive damage, the only "issue" with the gun, isn't even the gun itself, it's the consistency of it's damage output vs. time, connection, and location. Hit registration makes this gun the leading cause to boards that go wrong almost instantly in the middle of an engaged deck fight. Without that though, I think the blunderbuss is a fairly consistent weapon that's perfect for guarding ladders as players on ladders are usually tunnel-trapped in options.

I don't get why one would nerf something that already doesn't even work as intended most of the time because of unexpected desync. If people are winning more fights with a weapon (that you can also use) maybe they're using the weapon better than you?

None of the weapons work as intended due to desync, it's a moot point and more realistic to balance the game on how it's able to function technically rather than how it ought to function.

• @n0soup4u said in Blunder-Buss Nerf.:

Personally if anything I think it should just do max 99% damage. Given the flow of the game and PvP I don't think it's proper to have a weapon that one shots. I'd like to hear arguments as to why we need a 1 shot weapon though

Because despite what the OP thinks, the blunderbuss is not an all powerful game ender. It takes skill and patience and tactics to be used against an opponent that knows what they're doing. It's not an automatic choice in the upper echelons of PVP. It's all about play style and preference. If you're playing against a good double gunner using EoR and flintlock, you won't get close enough to deal 100%, period. The 100% damage is the benefit that balances out the risk of its severely limited range. We've all whiffed with a blunderbuss, admit it. Don't forget the five throwables everybody gets as well that outrange the blunderbuss. There are multiple short, medium, long, direct, and AOE options; the blunderbuss the short range high damage option, but it's not always the best or preferable one.

This is probably said too much, but the reason we need a one-shot weapon is tools not rules. Is the one shot capability worth the range limitations?

• @scheneighnay said in Blunder-Buss Nerf.:

@scheneighnay said in Blunder-Buss Nerf.:

@wolfmanbush

With the amount of bunny hopping, dancing around, and just the nature of ship-to-ship content, the chances of getting to close range without getting hit once are very high.

Scenarios where a long-range shootout occurs are exceedingly rare compared to some guy popping up on deck with a blunderbuss.

Both of those sentences are incorrect in my experience. I don't know your MMR in hourglass but I've seen double gunners of all varieties be successful.

• All weapons are balanced in this game and there is no need to nerf the blunderbuss. Now if they would actually register the shots....

• I agree the damage should be lowered, It shouldent be able to oneshot. Maybe make it so it dose 80% of your life or 70% like the sniper. Oneshot weapons shouldent be a thing.

• @macnaby said in Blunder-Buss Nerf.:

I agree the damage should be lowered, It shouldent be able to oneshot. Maybe make it so it dose 80% of your life or 70% like the sniper. Oneshot weapons shouldent be a thing.

Of course it should be a thing in design

close range one shot is standard for weapon risk/reward and design

The reward is close range defense and the risk is being out of range against a mid or long range shot

• @macnaby said in Blunder-Buss Nerf.:

I agree the damage should be lowered, It shouldent be able to oneshot. Maybe make it so it dose 80% of your life or 70% like the sniper. Oneshot weapons shouldent be a thing.

I understand that Sea of Thieves probably isn't the ideal candidate for a historical treatise, but there is a reason they were utilized.

Devastating damage, easy to use, durable... makes perfect sense they do 100% damage at very close range. Anything less would just relegate the blunderbuss to collect dust: why should I use a weapon with 1/10 the range/accuracy of an eye of reach but the same damage? The damage balances out the range and the accuracy. It's fine as it is.

• Nerf players trying to kiss the pirate holding the blunderbuss instead.

• Why can't sword users just except that the blunderbuss is just strong against sword...

If blunderbuss is a problem for you switch to sniper pistol and outrange them easy as that.

• @nitroxien said in Blunder-Buss Nerf.:

Why can't sword users just except that the blunderbuss is just strong against sword...

If blunderbuss is a problem for you switch to sniper pistol and outrange them easy as that.

Because I want cinematic adventure on the high seas!!

I don't think any of the weapons are broken, maybe they need a rebalance, but in my pirate fantasy they use swords. It's an aesthetic thing for me. I want swashbuckling piracy on the high seas! Swashbuckling!

• For me, it's too easy to use in an offensive scenario, especially paired with the EoR. It should be used to blast boarders off ladders or off the deck. Personally I think it shouldn't one shot, should have a much tighter spread to require some accuracy and to be effective at hitting players on ladders or on the ship and increase it's knockback. Right now, it feels like it does everything the sword 'should' do.

• Admit it, Both you and I have lost many a fight on the seas by that single little blunder shot

Only if they got close to me, but that hardly happens.

The Blunderbuss is the least skillful weapon in Sea of thieves

Like most the weapons, just point and shoot. But with blunder, you have to be point blank to do mass damage.

The Easiest weapon in the game. It's one of two things, no Damage, or one tap, it is the most broken

Yes. It does damage for each pellet, one tap only if they are right in your face. Which again, most people dont allow too happen.

Its simple: Nerf the blunderbuss.

Or use blunder bombs and pistol to keep them away and spot shot them. Done.

• @mainturtle78009 said in Blunder-Buss Nerf.:

The blunderbuss is insanely powerful at guarding ladders, killing those who are unaware they have been boarded and it’s newest meta function, dispatching pirates who have been harpooned aboard. In all of these instances the blunderbuss can and does routinely kill in a single shot.

Blunderbuss is just better than sword and thus needs a nerf or sword needs a buff. Pick one.

Sword is the best PVE weapon in the game, provides the best mobility tools for both boarding and land combat, is the best for holding tight corners due to its stun properties such as captain quarters and behind the stair case, is a must use for high level bilging due to it's unprecedented water mobility, and is the only weapon not limited by ammo.

Sword is just better than blunderbuss and thus needs a nerf or blunderbuss needs a buff. Pick one.

• alt text

The blunderbuss is insanely powerful at guarding ladders, killing those who are unaware they have been boarded and it’s newest meta function, dispatching pirates who have been harpooned aboard. In all of these instances the blunderbuss can and does routinely kill in a single shot.

Blunderbuss is just better than sword and thus needs a nerf or sword needs a buff. Pick one.

Sword buff. I think the sword should interrupt every reload animation.

@nitroxien said in Blunder-Buss Nerf.:

@mainturtle78009 said in Blunder-Buss Nerf.:

Sword is the best PVE weapon in the game, provides the best mobility tools for both boarding and land combat, is the best for holding tight corners due to its stun properties such as captain quarters and behind the stair case, is a must use for high level bilging due to it's unprecedented water mobility, and is the only weapon not limited by ammo.

Sword is just better than blunderbuss and thus needs a nerf or blunderbuss needs a buff. Pick one.

Hate to break it to you but since the addition of ammo pouches one can argue that the blunderbuss with it’s much higher damage output is the superior PvE weapon as well. It’s my weapon of choice along with the sword for PvE. Blunderbuss is the BEST weapon in the armory. I’ve said it before and I’ll continue saying it.

Really? I guess it depends on what you're doing because for me, since emergent skeletons and sea fort phantoms can all be one-shot with the flintlock, that's my go to PVE firearm. It's got better range and blunder is usually overkill. And of course the sword because lunging is also a one shot against most PVE enemies and real useful against ocean crawlers.

• @n0soup4u said in Blunder-Buss Nerf.:

Personally if anything I think it should just do max 99% damage. Given the flow of the game and PvP I don't think it's proper to have a weapon that one shots. I'd like to hear arguments as to why we need a 1 shot weapon though

Not saying I agree with this, but the blunder 1 shot is the main reason solos can overrun a bigger crew in my opinion. You can instantly taken one crew member out of the fight and even the odds in your favor. How else would streamers create content and clips for youtube without this? 😂

• The blunderbuss should gain slightly tighter bullet spread but do a maximum of 90% health if all bullets hit.
    The only one shot that should exist in the game is the one ball, a weapon that one shots has zero outplay potential especially since the hit-reg is not consistent.

• @captain-coel said in Blunder-Buss Nerf.:

@oda-ashina Blunderbuss was already nerfed. It's fine as it is. If they lower its damage it becomes useless.

Exactly. Nerfed a long time ago for all you noobs and castaways.

Views
1 out of 105