Monkey Island main song mumbling

• I could SWEAR I heard somebody mumbling the Monkey Island main song on Ancient Spire. It doesn't sound as a player mic. Was it my imagination?

Views
  • @captthreepwood
    It could have been someone messing with you, or maybe Déjà vu? There are musical cues in the game that remind me of Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie.

Just for fun, though, let me put my tin-foil hat on: maybe we're getting a Monkey Island crossover, and what you heard inadvertently made it into the game similarly to the nameplates before Season 7?

• I hope my next spawn is on Ancient Spire, really curious now!

• Sorry for the double post.

If you would allow me to borrow the tin foil hat for a moment.

As I have mentioned in another post, the POTC tall tale had an indication about it, since Guybrush Threepwood was heading to sea of Thieves.

So lets think about the timings. Pirates life came out in 2021. I would imagine talks with Disney would have started at least couple of years before the release date. Disney also own rights to Monkey Island (unless something changed recently, but I believe they just allowed Gilbert to make another game). So if any of Developers love Monkey Island I would not be surprised if they would have inquired about it during the initial meetings and spoken to Gilbert himself, hence why we have the easter egg.

Ron Gilbert started rumors about making another Monkey Island game in 2019 if I am not mistaken as well.

So the publicity to their intentions and all leading back to Disney makes this very interesting.

I would not be surprised if the meetings went down to something like this:

Sea of Thieves, gets PoTC crossover. They get the Monkey Island easter Egg. They agree with Ron Gilbert to not make any new content with Monkey Island apart from that small easter egg before he releases his new game. Return to Monkey Island comes out in late 2022. Gets good publicity and a lot of attention from the old fan base.

So Rare now would have the green light to Release whatever they have planned with it. Royalties generated from this expansion would be shared among 3 parties, everyone benefits.

Sorry if my thoughts come out a bit hectic, I should get more sleep probably ^^

P.S. I really hope to go to Ancient Spire next time I log in and hopefully to get blown away if this is true so the tin foil hat could fall off.

• @zig-zag-ltu
    The thing I keep going back to personally is how particular Disney is with their characters. They wouldn't have allowed Rare to include the journal entries written by Kate Capsize (especially with them basically saying Guybrush and Elaine ventured through the Shroud with Kate not that far behind) on a whim.

To me, there's a difference between an Easter Egg paying homage to something and deliberately creating a story for future use. If the wreck of the Headless Monkey with the theme music playing was all that was there in Sailor's Grave, I would be more inclined to think that was the end of it. The inclusion of the journals (specifically, the fairly elaborate story they tell, which requires you to have a baseline knowledge of the events of Monkey Island 2 to understand the entire reference) leads me to believe there may be something else down the pipeline.

Whether that may be a future Tall Tale, an Adventure, or something else entirely is anyone's guess. I just think it would be awesome if A Pirate's Life 2 included both Jack and Guybrush.

• @lucky11 Well it could be either. But I certainly agree with you, especially since Jack 'Sparra' said he will return himself too. Rare likes to have nods in games via making costumes or ship sets. Having their composers recreate the iconic soundtrack is a lot of work. And like you said, writing what was written, it would not make a lot of sense to say that without delivering. They could have easily made another ending on the journals without any hints of them arriving.

Would also be amazing to see Le Chuck teaming up with Flamenheart as permanent Characters. I think he fits the lore so well. Beside for a big bad guy who leads legions, Flamenheart really lacks respectable companions. Also he was dead and gone and brought back in one of the tall tales by Pendragon and us, the last one by the slimy Stitcher Jim... Having another powerful figure would really put Reapers on another level.

Besides since Mr. Gilbert confirmed that Return to Monkey Island is the last game, allowing the assets to be used in Sea of Thieves would be a smart move I would imagine.

But yeah, I really hope something huge is on its way, I cant wait for my work day to be over and head out to Ancient spire to look for it myself, before diving for hourglass ^^

• Just got back from the shop with tinfoil, enough to make a hat with an antenna and a shirt.

*Fresh Waters, by Captain Kate Capsize.

I have a ship, she has a name. I have a crew, we have our course!

The Sea of Thieves is a legendary pirate paradise, home to some of the most feared marauders to ever sail the seas – or so the stories go.

Naturally, only Threepwood would be arrogant enough to presume he has a place there, let alone treat it as a romantic getaway spot for his honeymoon.

If he’d been sailing alone I’m sure he’d be marooned by now, but while Elaine has seriously bad taste in husbands, she’s a capable pirate.

I have to assume that Threepwood somehow made it to the Sea of Thieves. And that means I must do the same.*

So since she crashed her main ship and was 'slightly dead'. Who could be part of her crew if she was to arrive looking for those 2? Considering it could be characters from all 3 universes? I would dare to think that Big villains like Le Chuck, Davy Jones, Barbossa wouldn't just become crew mates for Kate even if they are after the same thing. Unless she did not mean that she actually owns it and is the captain.

• @zig-zag-ltu

I agree, I'm not convinced her new crew would be those villains, much less, anyone prominent to the story. They could just be some random throwaway characters used to advance the plot. One thing of note is that this apparently happens between Curse of Monkey Island and Escape from Monkey Island where, afterward, Elaine was declared dead by the citizens of Mêlée Island. On top of that, we still don't know the identity of the woman Calypso was referring to when she interrupted Jack at the end of Lords of the Sea to tell him that he had made "her" a promise.

I know the prevailing theory is that it's Wendy, but if there's something to this whole subplot, it wouldn't surprise me if Jack made a promise to the Voodoo Lady or someone like Elaine to help them with an undisclosed situation.

We're both probably overthinking this, but these loose ends have been driving me crazy since I finished A Pirate's Life and I would love to see them both resolved.

• Any confirmation on this?

Or is this just wishful thinking

• @personalc0ffee Well I need to go to bed, but from 10 mins running up and down the dock to reset shipwrights humming could not get her to do the monkey island theme one...will keep an eye on her whenever I get the chance. No other characters do this as far as I am aware.

Views
1 out of 11