Can a ship be haunted?

• I'm a new player to the game and am relatively inexperienced. When I Started I decided to be a rebel and become a peaceful fisherman instead of the legendary pirate we are all supposed to be. My average play session goes something like this
    Start a solo private game on a sloop
    Buy a multipurpose crate
    Collect 99 leaches In crate
    Sail to my favorite fishing spot just outside of the Finest Trading Post in the ancient isles
    Proceed to relax and casually fish, making sure until I run outta leaches
    Cook my fish to perfection
    Sell my cast trove of perfectly cooked fish to my main man Derrick
    Celebrate with a fresh mug of grog
    Log off

However today I logged on and as I was fishing my tiny ship's mast spontaneously caught fire, I put the flames out and went back to fishing but as I fish something I couldn't see kept bumping into the fish and knocking them of the line, I get aggravated and jump into the water to see what's happening and my ship starts sailing off on its own, I manage to get back on the ship and my mast goes up in flames again I put out the fire and anchor the ship, but when I get up to the steering wheel a ashen foul bounty skull appears outta nowhere and then a pistol shot from a mysterious invisible assailant hits me and I just quit.
    Is this a thing that just happens when you don't have your own ship and the game generates one for you? Can a ship just spawn in haunted like this?

Views
    question
  • Someone was on your ship hiding (Tucking) and was just simply trolling you and your inability to see the obvious imo.

I just can't understand how someone would have the patience to play like this and be alert the whole time to capitalize on opportunities, but they exist.

• @zig-zag-lt
    But there was no-one around! No ships, no players, no sound. No footsteps against the deck, no shadow in the water, no black robed figure at the helm of my ship. It was just me alone by myself. And even if someone was around how would messing with me profit them, wouldn't it be more profitable to steal fish from my crate when I'm not looking and sell them to derrick themselves? And where did the ashen skull come from? I'm just so confused

• @penguinman7707 No clue mate, just my rational explanation. Could be anything though. If people spreading rumors about cheaters are telling the truth, maybe was one of them.

But the constant fire to the mast, if there was no sound of fire bomb hitting your ship, maybe yourself left something cooking on the stove, or someone put a banana there. ^^ But nonetheless - weird

Also don't try to figure out people are tucking and why they do it when they could just do what you do themselves(FOTD I understand, but regular voyages...). Some pirates are just weird.

• @zig-zag-ltu @penguinman7707

Burning food alone won't light the mast. It would catch the spot above the stove on fire and be on the deck.

Afaik, normal players can't affect fish on the line unless the line crosses a pole or the fish swims into a rock or onto shore. Unless you were sitting in extremely shallow water?

I'd agree with the tucker, except for the fish breaking free. A barefoot pirate doesn't make footsteps.

Penguin, you playing on console or pc?

• alt text

Heehoo! Havin' trouble with the livin'?
    You tired of havin' your boat tucc'd on?
    Wanna get rid of them pesky pirates once and for all?

• Sounds like an invisible player, especially as the fishing line was hitting something that could not be seen. Could be someone using a bug or glitch for some amusement. I think I have heard of players ending up in an invisible state sometimes.

• @penguinman7707
    I agree with everyone here: the logical explanation is that you probably had someone hiding on your boat and was messing around. I'm sorry your fishing expedition didn't go as planned! I hope this doesn't discourage you at all.

From my own experiences, I do not believe your ship can spawn into the world haunted. The only undisclosed supernatural occurrence I can think of are the noises people (allegedly) hear on Crook's Hollow at 2 or 3 in the morning.

Let us know if it happens again! Happy sailing otherwise!
    -Lucky11

• @pithyrumble I play on PC but I use a controller and have my desktop hooked up to my tv screen

• Were you in a storm?

• @penguinman7707 said in Can a ship be haunted?:

@pithyrumble I play on PC but I use a controller and have my desktop hooked up to my tv screen

Maybe someone doing something cheaty. It's a thing on PC sometimes. Unless I'm wrong you shouldn't be able to mess with a fish someone is catching unless you damage them. Every thing else you mention is tucker hijinks.

• @penguinman7707 said in Can a ship be haunted?:

@zig-zag-lt
    But there was no-one around! No ships, no players, no sound. No footsteps against the deck, no shadow in the water, no black robed figure at the helm of my ship. It was just me alone by myself. And even if someone was around how would messing with me profit them, wouldn't it be more profitable to steal fish from my crate when I'm not looking and sell them to derrick themselves? And where did the ashen skull come from? I'm just so confused

Tucking is one of those things players do because it's fun, not because it's efficient.
    It's more about seeing how well you can outsmart someone than whatever monetary benefit they get out of it.

My crew has rowboated halfway across the map just to mess with our allies before.

Views
question
11 out of 12