Suggestion: Article Toggle for Ship Names

• I've noticed a problem with ship naming: when you have a ship name like "The Rowdy Hull", the FULL name appears on the ship's nameplate, appearing as "THE ROWDY HULL" (making the nameplate very crowded) instead of "ROWDY HULL" like it would regularly both irl and with NPC ships in-game. Take the Morningstar for example, which has "MORNINGSTAR" appear on its physical nameplate, yet ordinarily has "The" in front of it as it's called "The Morningstar".

I propose adding some common articles to the ship rename screen that you can tick whichever one to have it appear in your ships official name (like when people spot it at sea, or when you view it in a game menu), but which WONT appear on the ship's in-game nameplate. A few of these articles could be "The", "A", "An", "HMS", etc.

So if you want to name your ship "A Blazing Dragon", then in the ship rename menu you'd type "Blazing Dragon", and tick the "A" article option, which then adds the "A" before the name so you can see what it will look like. Maybe there could be small previews of what the final name would look like on the ship banner and nameplate so you know exactly what you're getting in the end too.

Just thought this might be a good idea to add eventually. Happy sailing!

Views
    feedback
  • Whenever I see a ship that has 'The' in front, like The Blazing Dragon, it automatically becomes The The Blazing Dragon in my head because that person named their ship wrong.

• Just drop the article.

They don't only need the ones you mention, but for different languages as well.

Views
feedback
1 out of 3