High Ping in Western Canada (Vancouver Island)

• Hey all,

Just moved back to the west coast yesterday (Vancouver Island), and getting 150ms ping constantly. Almost like I'm being sent to Azure servers in Toronto or something like that?

I've done most troubleshooting already, reset date/time, flushed DNS, reset renew IPv4 and V6, power cycled everything, made sure IP Helper is running, cleared my hosts file.

The interesting this is that if I VPN to Seattle I can bring that ping down to 40ms.

This leads me to think it's something with the way my traffic is getting routed, like it's trying to keep it to the closest Canadian Edge Node which I can only assume in Central or East, even though based on Geography, I can swim to Seattle?

Is there any sort of localization/region locking to West/East NA servers in Sea of thieves that I can reset? I haven't uninstalled and reinstalled.

I only have this issue in SoT, nothing else, but odds are this is the only game running on MS cloud servers the rest are probably AWS or Google hah. Maybe I should try Halo and see what my ping is like.

Views
  • @buccaneerbob415 I have had this problem in the past, more than once. NA East but for weeks or months at a time, it would route me to central, west or even Alaska iirc. On the "other client" my ping was stable 35-45ms, highly doubtful the issue was on my end. my best pings were 70 and worst was 100's. Best bet is a VPN because I didn't have/couldn't find a solution, only wait for it to resolve

https://www.seaofthieves.com/community/forums/topic/152717/routing-home-region-broken-again/1

• So oddly enough, I'm 99% sure this is something with Azure and Microsoft, not specific to Rare, because I had the same issue with Halo and other games, however, all symptoms were resolved when using a VPN. Now, just remembering to VPN each time I want to sail ;)

• Just an update to this, months later and this still happens, if I connect without a VPN my ping is 150ms and definitely still hitting East Coast servers, but VPN to Seattle and I'm down to 50ms. Sadly as soon as I VPN I lose all in game voice communications which makes talking to other players impossible. So I can choose low ping, no communication, or high ping and voice comms. The issue appears to be resolved when playing Halo and other MS based games but Sea of Thieves still kills me on the ping. Maybe some sort of internal region locking built within the client?

I haven't uninstalled and reinstalled, that'll be on the to do list shortly.

Views
1 out of 4