Ping spikes/Rubberbanding

• My gaming laptop is a beast.
    I can play anything i throw at it even Star Citizen in max settings and have buttery smooth frames.

When i play SOT however i find that despite messing with the settings, i get occasional stutter. Highest settings it jitters and stutters a little more but setting it down to rare improves it a lot more.

Using the performance markers my frames are fantastic even during stutter So it must be ping.
    But my internet connection is fine.
    Sea of thieves is in no way the most demanding game ive played and ive got 32gb of ram.

So, is this server related?

To be honest its nothing too bad but its just the odd jitter, the slight stumble. Rarely the very off warping /rubberband for a second and it takes me out of it. But this is the only online game i experience this lack of performance in. Fortunately it doesnt happen all the time but it is annoying.

If its worth mentioning i am using it via the xbox app and not steam as i got sot with my console i no longer use.

Is it servers and its just normal sometimes?
    If its normal to have the odd jitter here and there id be reassured its not my hardware.

Checking ping its always around 40-60
    My frames are never below 100.
    Asus ROG Strix G15 advantage RX6800m AMD Ryzen 9 32gb ram…Surely my hardware can handle it right? So is it the game? Perhaps the xbox app itself?

Views
  • @shadow20642 If you are using the Xbox app on your laptop to access the game then it is streaming the content to you and is vulnerable to internet hiccups. The Xcloud streaming is good but dependent upon your internet connection more than your equipment you use. The game will always run better if you have it actually installed on your machine rather than having it streamed.

• @dlchief58 Playing it via xbox game bar that was already installed. I had to fully install the game to play it though. Would that still affect it you reakon?

If so…If i was to buy SOT via steam is it possible to play as the pirate i started with on my xbox version? I’d hate to have to start again from scratch. Ive spent a fortune in cosmetics 😂

• The rubber banding has nothing to do with your system or your internet. I can't tell you what is causing it other than I believe it's mentioned as a known issue in these patch notes.

I have only had it a few times. I am going out on a limb here but I am going to assume it's related to someone on the server engaging in this new pvp system and doing one of the more aggressive exploits like the deathroll ship. I have FPS and PING counters up all the time and the one time I had real bad rubber banding they were all fine. The ping never passed 100 not even for a split second. Yet I was rubber banding like the time I was on a server with a 2600 ping back in year 1. So either the ping counter has been broken for some time or its some other issue going on with the pvp system.

• @magus104 Ah thank you. I never knew it was in the notes, thats reassuring to know! Thank you.

• @shadow20642 No problem just had to double check to make sure I wasn't misremembering lol

"Players may experience scenarios where they encounter ping spikes at random while playing, resulting in rubberbanding or client stutters. While improvements were most recently released in update 2.5.3, the team continue to work on further improvements for future updates."

Though if ping spikes are causing the rubber banding they are happening so fast they aren't registering on the in games display

• @magus104 Appreciate it thanks!
    T

Views
1 out of 7