Offline Mode with NPC crews!

• I think it would be pretty cool to have a seperate game client dedicated to playing offline.

Your pirate DOES NOT cross over so its a completely seperate experience but basically you can play SOT in areas where there is no internet and still enjoy the game. Perhaps you are on a plane, camping or just staying in a hotel with horrible Wi-fi.

Its not just a carbon copy of the game though! It has roaming npc ships both passive and hostile and even faction ships you can join in with.

You can also hire npc crews who man cannons, repair and bail and all the tall tales and voyages we have in the main game.

Id expect to pay for this and I for one would be happy to. Id still play online more than offline but id certainly use it regularly. I work away and im 50/50 home so something like this would be ideal.

You could add Co-op so you can play with friends too. Good thing is it wont affect the main online game as the pirates are not interchangable.

Views
  • this is just pve servers in disguise isn't it?

• @toxie-will-kill I see no disguise whatsoever

• @shadow20642 have fun, there will be a custom server option sometime in the future...but you have to pay for AND you get no gold or rep in it...
    Everything else is just PvE server requests...so NO

Edit: in b4 lock

• @shadow20642 said in Offline Mode with NPC crews!:

I think it would be pretty cool to have a seperate game client dedicated to playing offline.

Your pirate DOES NOT cross over so its a completely seperate experience but basically you can play SOT in areas where there is no internet and still enjoy the game. Perhaps you are on a plane, camping or just staying in a hotel with horrible Wi-fi.

Its not just a carbon copy of the game though! It has roaming npc ships both passive and hostile and even faction ships you can join in with.

You can also hire npc crews who man cannons, repair and bail and all the tall tales and voyages we have in the main game.

Id expect to pay for this and I for one would be happy to. Id still play online more than offline but id certainly use it regularly. I work away and im 50/50 home so something like this would be ideal.

You could add Co-op so you can play with friends too. Good thing is it wont affect the main online game as the pirates are not interchangable.

This is literally a completely different game at that point. Since it costs about 80 mil to develop a AAA game, best bet is to buy a dev studio and get one built yourself if it needs to fit you 100% like that.

• It’s a fun idea, (probably never going to happen) but a fun idea! Playing SoT against AI crews to help better by my tucking/ boarding and being able to consistently play on a galleon does sound fun!

• @toxie-will-kill said in Offline Mode with NPC crews!:

this is just pve servers in disguise isn't it?

Its not because your pirates cant go online. Its proposing a completely seperate game thats cut off from the rest.

Think of GTA online and GTA story mode.

So the entire idea of a pve server being bad cant happen because it cant connect to the main part of the game.

• @schwammlgott said in Offline Mode with NPC crews!:

@shadow20642 have fun, there will be a custom server option sometime in the future...but you have to pay for AND you get no gold or rep in it...
    Everything else is just PvE server requests...so NO

Edit: in b4 lock

Not proposing pve only server.
    Pve server can be exploited for rep etc and make it pointless to play in risky waters when grinding. Im against pve only, i argue against it.

Im proposing something entirely different. A completely seperate entity. A bit like how insiders is completely seperate.

You have something to play when totally offline and to make it better npc crews which will never be in sot!

Doesnt harm existing game and adds something new for those who want to dabble. I see it as a good thing.

Private servers are not what im proposing as that is ONLINE.

• @kommodoreyenser said in Offline Mode with NPC crews!:

@shadow20642 said in Offline Mode with NPC crews!:

I think it would be pretty cool to have a seperate game client dedicated to playing offline.

This is literally a completely different game at that point. Since it costs about 80 mil to develop a AAA game, best bet is to buy a dev studio and get one built yourself if it needs to fit you 100% like that.

Its making an offline mode using existing assets and adding npc crew and ships.
    If that costs 80 mil id like a word with your accountant.

Get off your high horse, its an idea. This is a suggestions forum is it not? Jesus.

Get off your high horse, its an idea. This is a suggestions forum is it not? Jesus.

You'd need to re-engineer the entire game, since it's a client-server architecture and not designed to run on a single console/PC. It's a lot more complicated than "making it offline" and "adding npc crew and ships".

It would basically be creating a new game and get quite expensive.

• @d3adst1ck said in Offline Mode with NPC crews!:

You'd need to re-engineer the entire game, since it's a client-server architecture and not designed to run on a single console/PC. It's a lot more complicated than "making it offline" and "adding npc crew and ships".

I wasnt aware thats how it worked.
    Well if its that much hassle to do then its probably not gonna happen.

Its a shame a game this good is built and not flexible. Shame they never though to add an offline mode alongside it.

Not to worry though, a few other developers are coming close to something similar.

@d3adst1ck said in Offline Mode with NPC crews!:

Its a shame a game this good is built and not flexible. Shame they never though to add an offline mode alongside it.

Not to worry though, a few other developers are coming close to something similar.

Let us know how long Skull and Bones keeps you engaged for!

• @kommodoreyenser said in Offline Mode with NPC crews!:

Cant walk around the deck of the ship.
    Probably Atlas is the closest but thats got a whole list of its own issues to contend with.

@kommodoreyenser said in Offline Mode with NPC crews!:

Cant walk around the deck of the ship.
    Probably Atlas is the closest but thats got a whole list of its own issues to contend with.

This game honestly has a good balance of both play styles with a mash up of alot of features. You stray too far into PvE territory and people get bored easily (likely what will happen to Skull and Bones and what Atlas is.) You go the other direction and you get people bored because there is no progression like the SoT cheap arena knockoff on Steam.

• @shadow20642 skirting the edge of what is effectively a PVE request.

What I would say on a separate client idea is- it would take considerable resources away from Adventure.

A) This was a reason for Arena removal.
    B) This is because the server works out the weather and waves, so new client still needs same updates and work.

• @sshteeve said in Offline Mode with NPC crews!:

@shadow20642 skirting the edge of what is effectively a PVE request.

What I would say on a separate client idea is- it would take considerable resources away from Adventure.

A) This was a reason for Arena removal.
    B) This is because the server works out the weather and waves, so new client still needs same updates and work.

Its not a PVE request to avoid pvp players.
    I just wanted an offline mode so i can have npc crew as id prefer to play alone and offline than with other players. Completely seperate without reliance on the internet.

Im sure a developer will make something like this though sometime.

• Whether or not you're intending to state this as to a PvE server, it is still akin to one and does not fall in line with the core concept and design of the game as the devs have desired to make it. It is intended to be an online, multiplayer PvPvE experience.

Since this is, in essence, the same type of thing as a request for PvE servers we will go ahead and drop anchor on it here. Thank you.

Views
1 out of 18