Season 8 SBMM is broken.

• So my hunch is that no one is playing the new content outside of solo slooping. I say this because I get evenly matched in solo sloops but when me and my friends get on a brig or gally we play against mixle and his kid brother/top 200 gamers. Update 7 me and my friends would regularly take down entire servers of players defending fof or just for fun. Season 8 I can’t win a match outside a solo sloop. Is this anyone else’s experience with the match making? (Assuming you’re a top 200 legendary sea dog or twitch streamer. This post doesn’t apply to your experience) “also anyone got to rank 70 or so I’d like to know how many matches it takes to get to the next lvl to figure out if I should uninstall till an update, thanks!”

Views
  • yup, this is me on the daily. I'm quiting this season if they don't up the amount of rep you get for losing. Can't get the curses that the entire population of this game has been requesting because im getting sweatlords every game. I'm not having fun and I'm not incentivized to play if I know I'll be losing. The hardcore pvpers want it hard to get the curses. Fine. Enjoy long que times. I won't be playing. New WoW expansion here anyway.

• I’ve also heard/felt that solo-slooping or duo-slooping is the fastest way to do it.

For me I feel like it’s total luck when it comes to matchmaking. We had for consecutive wins yesterday (crews were a bit of a challenge though).

Other times we emerge on top of barrels or get absolutely annihilated within the first couple of minutes.

• @dedfault the only issue I’ve been having is long matchmaking. I have ran every ship size and played at any time of day, it doesn’t matter the size ship or if I’m solo I have the same problem.

Load in, choose whatever faction has least wait time, start winning, hourglass will then say “less than 1 min” but I’ll wait 20+ mins to match. Often will end up switching factions, but will run into the same problem again after a couple wins.

I’m terms of sweats I must be a sweat myself. Really haven’t ran into many crews that I would consider sweaty. I’ve currently got around a 90% win rate.

• This is not an FPS but it certainly applies to crews that are finally getting good fights instead of rolling open or uncoordinated adventure crews:
    https://external-preview.redd.it/npjy4ojYh9gjJlPC0fJabEw1YKAhxhTKWVqNSpJVjtQ.jpg?width=960&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=9f61420ad183f5ee5325de1f41c4eb925ef3cf62

• Part of the problem is that Everyone stocks themselves to the gills going into these battles. It's less about SKILL based matchmaking, and more about who has more free time to gather a million planks.

If you win, great news...but how long was that battle? Was it fun having your opponent reset the fight 100 times?

If you lose, you lost the fight, your supply time, and the battle time (which has only gotten longer and longer)...and that's why the SBMM is really becoming a pain...as more equally skilled crews get paired and have a million planks between them, it just means the fights get longer and longer and longer.

Supply limits is the solution to SBMM, IMO.

• @helgrymm7879 You leaving makes a small dent compared to players that came back for the PvP season.
    It's whatever, you can either complain non stop and not get better or vice versa. That's the way I see challenges in general.

Im reading several comments of people complaining about the rewards for this season, why does every reward have to cater to everyone further more be considered ''easy/fast'' to achieve, it ain't a race...

For me personally the way I see it, the rewards are a by product of my performance, fun.
    It's not on top of my list of why I am opting in to PvP, as it should be for MOST players that are not great at PvP from the get go.
    You focus on the prize you will hate yourself and grind in reaching level 100+

• @sweetsandman I think a lot of people aren’t as good as they think they are. I’ve been in around 70 fights now, won 64 of them. Only a small handful of them have last more than 5 minutes.

Get broads first, chainshot masts, spam cannons and blunders, go for board, death spiral.

If solo just take down mast and kill them with cannons/blunders. Really not too difficult to sink majority of crews.

• There's no Doubt this season is a grind. Everyone feels it whether your'e a new pirate or seasoned Vet. I'm currently sitting at level 75 with 125 Wins ( To give you an idea for matches). It takes an average of 150 wins to get to level 100. Matchmaking is busted. The skill gab between players is so wide I don't know if there is a MMR that could accurately put players together without longer Queues. I do know this, Change your playstyle from your Adventure fights your used to having. If you're going to get streaks and level up fast in this mode you need to create new strategies. Different play styles for different crews you fight. Once I made some changes I no longer have 30 min fights.

Tip 1: Focus on Boat Positioning at all points in the fight. This is more important than any other job on the ship. (Don't ever Nose their Broadside)

Tip 2: Don't commit your boat into a all or nothing sink. Reset your boat and go back in again and again and again until you start to learn. The more resets and engagements you have the more experience you get.

• @im-a-dog Not every fight is crazy long. I'd say about 20% of my battles go longer than maybe 15 minutes?...but when 2 solid players (or crews) pair up and they both have an incredible number of supplies...it's a real snoozefest.

My winning % is about the same as yours, (through less fights)...and one thing I've observed is that way more players are good at defense than offense in this game.

Am I a top-tier player? Not even close. Nor would I claim to be. But if you're actually in that top tier, you definitely shouldn't fear the idea of a supply-nerf and you're probably wasting more time than you need on stocking up.

• @sweetsandman mine and my crew that I regularly sail with are definitely top tier in naval, but far from the best in terms of double gunning or on foot pvp.

I haven’t had a fight yet that was determined by how many supplies you had. But did have one close fight that we ended with only 20 cannons left which was cutting it really close.

Majority of people are way overstocking, starting outpost supplies and captaincy supplies have been more than enough to get us going. But after a couple fights we do have to start island hopping for chains of we weren’t able to drain other crews supplies. No need to spend an hour+ stocking like I’ve seen some people do.

There comes a point where you reach basically max supplies and will never go through it all. If you have 1000 cannons and 2000 wood before the start of a fight and somehow go through all that there’s other aspects you need to work on.

• @fpg-onslaught 150 wins you say? Not bad I’m at 24 currently sitting at about lvl 23 and a half. However what kind of win streaks are you experiencing. Mine seem to cap at 4-5 before I meet my match. Players like Mixle was able to achieve streaks of 100+! Having not watched his progress live I can’t make any assumptions on how much that has contributed to his exp multiplier.

Question one: what win streaks are you experiencing with your statistics you are quoting?

Question 2: how much does streaks above 4 actually contribute to an exp multiplier?

Thanks

• Winning against other players in this season is supper easy it is the waiting at least 30min for a match that is the problem.

• @dedfault I got a chance to fight MIXLE on Sunday as solo slooper. I was level 60 and had 1 win streak. He was level 107 currently on a 133-0 Streak. I lost the fight but how does that matchmaking work? My hardest fights seem to be fights 1-6 on a streak. Last night I had the privilege of running up a streak of 17! We almost sunk on fights 6 and 8. After that it was complete noobs. I didn't understand the matchmaking at all.

1. My average streak is 3-6, My Highest being 17

2. When I sold my streak at 17 I went from level 71 to 74 and made 800k. so if you split that in half if you get 8 or 9 wins it should be almost 2 levels when lowering depending on rank with around 400k with Lvl 5 reaper

• I spent 3 hours today and got into one round... all of my arena buddy have had the same luck but the people that I play with that did not play the arena get into round almost instantly I have no clue how they do their matchmaking but I can agree that it does indeed suck.

• I play on Xbox and I can check other player stats. I am almost always in disadvantage because the game pairs me with sweats 100+ days. When I have 15 days. It is really unfair

• My experience has been kind of meh, as well sadly. I'm STRUGGLING to win matches. I'm not bad at PvP, but I'm also not cracked by any means. Almost every single solo match I've had the last few days, has been nothing but sweat players who already have the ghost/skelly curse. I've had far better luck with brig crews, but even then, there are sweats there too.

It's really just disheartening, because I'm close, but still feel so far away from 100. I'm almost level 60, but it feels like even with the EXP boosts, I'm getting nowhere. I wanted to try and get 100 this weekend, but at this rate, I don't think I will. I'd have to play for constant hours on end, and get nothing but wins, I think..

• @valor-omega same here, today's multiplyer felt like a boost, but defo not doible for me. I'm lvl 50 and a win got me just over half a level, it's such a long frustrating grind as I feel I'm in this 'middle' skilled pool which means I can match with sweats or newbies. I actually can't comprehend how some are lvl 1000 lol

• "mixle and his kid brother", "sweatlords"

lol, do these labels make losing feel better?

• @foambreaker said in Season 8 SBMM is broken.:

"mixle and his kid brother", "sweatlords"

When I ask myself is it even worth spending my time posting about things in an online video game forum, these types of post remind me nope, there are better things to do than deal with trolls on the internet lol.

• @aceflounderz said in Season 8 SBMM is broken.:

@foambreaker said in Season 8 SBMM is broken.:

"mixle and his kid brother", "sweatlords"

When I ask myself is it even worth spending my time posting about things in an online video game forum, these types of post remind me nope, there are better things to do than deal with trolls on the internet lol.

So you use a label to complain about someone complaining about labels.

• @helgrymm7879 I mean if they make the curses easier would you keep playing after you get them...

• @sweetsandman how do you want to implement supply limits?

If we make it so crews can store less in barrels then crews will just use storage crates. If supplies become less abundant then joining back into the fight after a sink will be absolutely miserable since crews on streaks would be so far ahead supply wise.

Barrels floating up was honestly a must have for the game and greatly diminished spawn camping so that can't be removed and making blunderbombs and firebombs more rare will ruin the rest of the game they are now limited enough.

I would argue what the game needs is not to limit supplies but just further nerf the impact of specials. Firebombs and blunderbombs are still way to strong.

• @comicthree58445

That happened to me on my second match after 4 months out of the game.

First match, AFK ship farming exp. Second Match, 6.200 hours tryhard that sunk me easy. I have 600 hours and didn´t played from a long time ago, nice welcome back to be honest.

Unninstalled and returned to OW2 xD

Views
1 out of 25