I ABSOLOUTELY adore sea forts, they are a short (non grindy) way to get some loot, and as for me who joined, and stayed in this game for the pvp, they are really fun to do. And since I have a limited time they are a great way to enjoy the game.
But, stacking sea forts can become a little arduous as you have to sail between each fort, complete the waves, and loot. I have done sea forts to the point where I can finish the waves and loot the store room in under five minutes.
Many people have ignored sea forts, as they follow the allure of more grindy/larger loot like fotd's and fof's (fort of the damned and fort of fortune). I think sea fort could use the upgrade if Levelling the fort. After completing a the first, easy wave, you could open the vault like normal and extract the measly loot from within.
But, by you and your scallywag friends ignoring the shiny allure of loot for the moment, and instead allowing for the next fresh set of waves of phantoms to spawn, the loot upgrades in level.
(The looting could work as in a key is dropped every level opening 1 of the five level doors, or simply the loot pile is larger if you wait until level 5 (the levels could be past five, that's just ab idea number)
But there comes a catch! By continuing the journey and levelling up the fortress a reaper flag (like a Fotd) appears on the map. You and your scallywags have just become a target! You must race to complete the fort before another ship comes along to snatch it! (This encourages ACTUAL USE of the forts cannons, and using as a fort to defend your loot)!
Now, after defeating and levelling the fort to finish you will be amply rewarded!
- the allure of quick loot like the current sea forts will stay, because you will still have the option of cashing in upon finishing the first level
- rather than spending many hours stacking many forts, which I would most likely just move to a more profitable journey (like fotd's), this puts sea forts back on the map!
- this could be designed as a order of souls quest and or merchants (i.e. phantoms have made off with the merchants goods, track to the shipwreck to recover the key before starting the fort!) (Or simply collect the quest from the order of souls to find a map quest, dig up the key, start the fort!)
- forts would stay the same, because the quick easy loot would be collected after finishing, so it's just deciding when you want to leave with your booty!
- it adds another player-triggerable event, which I know many people have been looking for
- chance of ANY backlash is minimal, as you are not getting rid of or changing the current forts, just giving people the option to do more
- adds another layer to the game, for those who have played this game to the max, they find themselves doing the same things (fotd's, fof's, fotd's, fof's, fotd's....etc) but with this sea fort change it adds another high risk, high reward aspect to the game! With already six sea forts on the map, it allows the option for seasoned players to make good payout all while enjoying the rush of a new adventure!
- sea forts have been an amazing idea ever since the veil voyages! Do the storyline could go many ways of why they are changed. (I.e. after the initial failure of sea forts, and the travelling of players between worlds [during the hunters call adventure] flamehart has been able to reinforce his sea forts quietly! Bring your scallywags, bring your swords....but dear your horizons for not all wish for you to rid these forts of their phantom occupants!!)
- I'll add if I find any
Ideas (just ideas for this change, not solid ones) (so don't take these with complete seriousness)
- for loot upgrading you could use a key to start every wave, like a Fotd. The key dropped from the first captain/level could be used to either open the vault and finish, or start a fresh level and continue levelling the fort.
- for different enemies other than phantoms in the fort the enemies you fought the hunters cry adventure could also spawn, having found their way into the sea of thieves during the skirmishes, and sided with flamehart
Flameharts fury - level a sea fort to level 5 (or whatever level is decided upon)
Mine! - defend an active fort from another player
Return investment - cash in for level 5 fort loot
I truly think this would a be a great addition to the game, and I understand how many of these ideas you get a day, so I doubt this will see the light of day - but I'm raising my grog to the idea of this coming to be!
Thank you, for making an amazing game!