Steam Deck discussion about Sea of thieves.

• Not the best with forums but was curious on some things with the Steam Deck. Hello, My Gamertag is Slum and recently purchased a Steam deck. As a long time supporter for Sea of Thieves, I will be looking to play the game on the handheld gaming console but had some questions.

I currently Own Sea of Thieves through Microsoft store and launch it from my computer with that. Do I have to purchase Sea of thieves again on Steam?

Once I own the game on steam, How can I make sure all the progress from my Microsoft account carry over to steam version?

Views
  • @slumerlcan-made

You will have to buy the game again for Steam.

I think you can link your MS account to steam because you still have to set up a MS account?

• You'll need to buy the game again on Steam, and when you launch the Steam version it will ask you to sign into a Microsoft account so just use the one you currently play Sea of Thieves on and all your progress will be there.

• Ok awesome thank you guys. Do any of you play SoT on the Steam deck? And setting recommendations or advice?

• I gave my initial impressions of the Steam Deck version here about a week ago:
    https://www.seaofthieves.com/community/forums/topic/150779/sea-of-thieves-on-steam-deck-is-surprisingly-good-impressions/10

I've since upped the framerate (detailed below) but my opinions haven't really changed. It's a surprisingly good experience and a nice compliment to playing on a beefier home machine. Everything syncing across platforms is just so convenient.

@slumerlcan-made said in Steam Deck discussion about Sea of thieves.:

Ok awesome thank you guys. Do any of you play SoT on the Steam deck? And setting recommendations or advice?

Yeah, I recommend going with the Rare settings (which I think is the default on Steam Deck, IIRC) but lower shadows and lighting to common if you notice dips.

You can change the refresh rate and FPS cap per game using the performance options on the Deck (the bottom right button, then go to the "battery" icon, select the per game option). I'd change the refresh rate to 40 and cap it at 40.

You could lock it at 30 but, from my experience, it seems to keep a pretty good 40FPS and it looks not too far off 60FPS in terms of fluidity as you'd expect. If you want to save battery though, then 30FPS is the way to go.

Other things to bear in mind: the mic will stop working if you plug in a 3.5mm headphone jack - that's a limitation of the Deck itself, sadly. If you use Bluetooth headphones, it should be fine though. The game will also bring across your controller settings, so you should find your key binds are the same.

• @realstyli thank you so much for this detailed reply. Answered a bunch of questions and looking forward to it.

• I just recently got my Steam Deck and got SoT downloaded but i'm not seeing anyone from my friends list. 90% are Xbox users. How does cross platforming work with the Steam Deck? I imagine this will probably be an issue with other games.

• Does anyone here successfully use a wireless headset playing Sea of Thieves on Steamdeck? I have a very nice wireless Bose headset, but everyone in game asks me what’s wrong with my mic and tell me it sounds like I’m in a wind tunnel. I haven’t been able to find anything online with regards to this issue. I’m happy to go buy a different headset if anyone has a wireless one that works for them. It’s frustrating trying to play Sea of Thieves without communication.

• As this thread was over a year old and revived today, it will now be locked.

A general reminder to all, please avoid reviving threads aged past 30 days, as it is considered a necro, and is against our Forum Rules.

Bumping Threads
    Bumping threads with content that is not providing additional information to the original post is not permitted. Resurrecting very old threads is also not permitted. A warning will be issued and the thread locked. Ignoring the warning will result in a temporary ban from the Forums and a final warning. If the action continues, a permanent ban from the Forums will be issued.

Views
1 out of 9