• Swashbuckling Swagger

Cutlass Combos with button mixes,
    M1/RT Press - Light Attack (LA)
    M2/LT Press - Heavy Attack (HA)
    M2/LT Hold - Sword Lunge (PL)

LA - LA - LA -- Swing Left, Swing right, Stab straight
    LA - LA - HA -- Swing Left, Swing Right, Uppercut swing
    LA - HA - HA -- Swing Left, Swing Down-Right, Sword-Guard punch
    LA - HA - LA -- Swing Left, Swing Down-Right, Jumping Overhead Swing (Can lunge forward)

HA - HA - HA -- Swing Down-Right, Swing Down-Left, Stab Straight + Twist-Right + Swing Right
    HA - HA - LA -- Swing Down-Right, Swing Down-Left, Jump-Spin Swing Down-Left
    HA - LA - LA -- Swing Down-Right, Lunging Swing-Stab, Backfist Left Swing
    HA - LA - HA -- Swing Down-Right, Lunging Swing-Stab, Jumping Uppercut Swing

Sword Clashes,
    Sword Slash Clashing, if both enemies' combos clash on all 3 hits, initiates a Star Wars style Sword Clash

Clash Counters
    Press mouse 1/Right Trigger enough times to fill a meter to counter, be quicker than your enemy though.

Blocking Revamp
    Blocking will be a separate button (I recommend binding middle mouse press on keyboard; and X or L1 on controller whichever one is available)
    Pressing the block button and then quickly pressing the LA (Light Attack: M1/RT) button will perform a swing that will block 1 hit and initiate a counter attack.
    Block - LA -- Counter Slash Down-Left/Counter Slash Right
    Block - HA -- Counter Stab

Cutlass Kill animations
    Press Interact Button to kill your enemy in style
    Anim 1 - Stab in gut
    Anim 2 - Clashing Swing slice
    Anim 3 - Double Slice
    Anim 4 - Stab in Chest

Views
    just for funfeedback
  • @wavecraft-57
    This is what the sword ought to be
    What about blocking?

• @mr-whaletoes

Just updated the page.

• Personally I am not a fan of this idea. The combat in SoT is simplistic and rudimentary, but that is done with intent. The game is very much intended to be much more casual based overall. Yes, there is PvP and Combat and even some level of incentive to engage in it. But the idea is session based pirate adventures that pretty much anyone can engage with. Timing and combo based systems are great in some games, but they are just complex enough to be off-putting to many casual gamers.

Also, with the issues that the game is known to have and have been long standing problems, like hit reg which does indeed impact the sword, this timing based and combo based system strikes me as something that would do more to make the hit reg issues with the sword more noticable and would effectively make combat less appealing overall.

Don't get me wrong, I personally don't mind systems like this in some games, but I am also good with it not being in every game. There needs to be ranges, and this one targets a very low bar to entry outside of the technical requirements, social requirements, and playstyle taste conflicts.

Playstyle conflicts is the biggest thing that impacts adoption rate for SoT, but at the same time it has selected a niche and made the barrier to entry within that niche very low overall. And I respect and admire that about the approach of this game, personally, and for it to stay in that space I feel like this idea would not be the best.

And all of that said, it is very well thought out. I'm sure there could be some conflict in there regarding exact button layout, but nothing I think couldn't be addressed and resolved. It is a pretty interesting idea for sure so I am also glad you shared it. I just can't endorse it personally is all.

• After Captaincy update should be bringing us a long overdue huge cosmetic dump and releasing some unreleased cosmetics that was leaked or shown from old trailers or promotional images that we haven’t got!

• Needlessly overcomplicated, IMO. Less is more in this case.

• @wavecraft-57
    I think some level of cutlass reworking would be nice, but this doesn't fit Sea of Thieves. Don't get me wrong, I love me some Monster Hunter and learning weapons. But Sea of Thieves' weapons are about simplicity. I shouldn't need to find a YouTube video to see the most damaging combo, the fastest combo, etc.

One thing that you didn't think of, you have no way of knowing how much damage you're doing in Sea of Thieves. So how would a new player know how effective any of these moves are? The current way, you only need to remember 6 damages. Sword slash, sword lunge, pistol, sniper, blunderbuss, and blunderbombs. A huge system would be confusing.

Whatever is done, there always must be the "simple to learn, hard to master" trope. A new player can pick up the cutlass, and within a few minutes, know that there is a slash combo, a lunge, and a block. But it takes time and usually a mentor to learn the deeper skills: The jumping lunge, the block hop, bullet dodging, hop slashing, quick drawing. I don't want all that to go away in some new combat system.

Views
just for funfeedback
1 out of 7