Dropping Alliance Servers

• @like-500-ninjas, Dropping Alliance Servers içinde yazdı:

@thorumsu said in Dropping Alliance Servers:

@like-500-ninjas, Dropping Alliance Servers içinde yazdı:

@targasbr said in Dropping Alliance Servers:

It is not just now that Alliance Servers are a problem, unfortunately many communities that are even partners organize this every day. It's past time for Rare to end this and punish those who do. Alliance Servers are killing the game.

How???? HOW is that possible?

Can you not log into the game and play Adventure? Oh wait...you can.

How does it PERSONALLY affect you? What damage does it PERSONALLY do to you? Or can you just not stand it that someone else in this game may:

*Have more gold than you
    *Be playing how THEY want and not how YOU want
    *Not want you ruining their experience with forced PVP

Saying "Alliance servers are ruining the game" has got to be the dumbest thing someone could say. Nobody is being harassed, like the Reapers do on EVERY server to everyone, and they literally have no effect on others playing the game.

I've never played on an Alliance server. I log in, play my solo sloop session, and log out. Not once, at any point since this game launched, have I sat there and said, "You know....if those Alliance servers didn't exist I would be having so much more fun. They are going to kill this game." Never. But I have definitely felt that way about Reapers since day 1, and that's exactly what they've done.

"Killing the game". Seriously? Absolutely not.

Them ruining Lost Sands is a great example. Sure, Merrcik proably would still win without them but they remove the whole purpose of the so called "war".

They fill the emisarry ledgers. Not a big problem but still annoying.

They removed FOTD battles from the game. People only do FOTD in those servers because they dont want people attacking them.

Risk VS reward system is out of the window because of these servers. We dont have any good wars with them existing too.

Some people don't want to fight. I also don't. But just as there are Alliance servers, I've seen servers with nothing but grade 5 Reapers working together. Not sure how this is an issue.

I still don't see the problem. Nobody wants to pour work into FOTD just to have some lazy person take their loot at the end. That, I believe, is where you see the biggest conflict of opinions. Some say, "That's just pirate!" while others say, "That's griefing".

IMO, it is definitely griefing as you are stealing someone's time and effort. Not the popular opinion here, obviously, because "pirate game". But obviously the popular mindset overall as over 30 million unique people have played the game, but only 200k-ish are left playing online at any given time.

A deaf ear has been given to separate servers. Thus, the community has solved it on their own. Disable Alliance servers and you'll see all those players leave. That exodus could be fatal to the game, and I think Rare knows that as well.

Better decisions on Rare's part could have prevented the need for Alliance servers altogether.

So you are saying that stealing a fort that was designed to be fought over is griefing and lazy???

How? If they were not designed to be fought for, THEY WOULD NOT HAVE A GIANT CLOUD

Ahem. Also, Dont get this topic of course and to private servers to anchor it please.

I'm not getting anything off topic, so don't worry. I won't mention "that of which we do not speak" which, by the way, is INCREDULOUSLY stupid. Rare said their part, but no reason people shouldn't be able to even talk about it. hears noises. And with that, I leave you to it. sails away

You still avoid my giant cloud point. Also how is PVP lazy? Its a lot harder than spamming canonballs on Graymarrow who doesnt even have an AI.

• To be honest, I don't find any problem with Alliance servers, I can't see even the slight problem that affect the game. I can't see how they are killing the game. And as someone who solo sloops on adventure I am in a good spot in the ledgers, Alliance servers never ruined my position there.
    If I see another ship, well, I'll try to sail somewhere else and escape. If they get me and sink me, ok, no problem, I'll respawn and get more loot somewhere else while trying to avoid other ships. I sometimes don't want to engage in PvP, and I will try to play the way I want without harming or affecting someone else's session.
    The same I see for those who are in Alliance Servers, they just want to play a certain way with the tools that are given. They aren't breaking any rules and their actions do not affect anyone on any other server. Not even the emmisary ledgers because just a few runs on emmisary 5 can get you a decent position.

While some people find PvE boring and PvP fun, others find PvE relaxing and PvP a bit stressing. And I respect both perspectives. I simply don't want to engage in PvP because I want to explore the PvE side of the game. If another ship approaches me they'll find that I don't want to fight, they'll see me runnng away or being killed without giving a fight back, what's wrong with that? Can't force me to engage in combat to satisfy the PvPers, just take my loot, sink me, kill me and move on, I will do the same, respawn, get more loot and try to sell it while escaping.

• @like-500-ninjas, Dropping Alliance Servers içinde yazdı:

@targasbr said in Dropping Alliance Servers:

It is not just now that Alliance Servers are a problem, unfortunately many communities that are even partners organize this every day. It's past time for Rare to end this and punish those who do. Alliance Servers are killing the game.

How???? HOW is that possible?

Can you not log into the game and play Adventure? Oh wait...you can.

How does it PERSONALLY affect you? What damage does it PERSONALLY do to you? Or can you just not stand it that someone else in this game may:

*Have more gold than you
    *Be playing how THEY want and not how YOU want
    *Not want you ruining their experience with forced PVP

Saying "Alliance servers are ruining the game" has got to be the dumbest thing someone could say. Nobody is being harassed, like the Reapers do on EVERY server to everyone, and they literally have no effect on others playing the game.

I've never played on an Alliance server. I log in, play my solo sloop session, and log out. Not once, at any point since this game launched, have I sat there and said, "You know....if those Alliance servers didn't exist I would be having so much more fun. They are going to kill this game." Never. But I have definitely felt that way about Reapers since day 1, and that's exactly what they've done.

"Killing the game". Seriously? Absolutely not.

Them ruining Lost Sands is a great example. Sure, Merrcik proably would still win without them but they remove the whole purpose of the so called "war".

They fill the emisarry ledgers. Not a big problem but still annoying.

They removed FOTD battles from the game. People only do FOTD in those servers because they dont want people attacking them.

Risk VS reward system is out of the window because of these servers. We dont have any good wars with them existing too.

Some people don't want to fight. I also don't. But just as there are Alliance servers, I've seen servers with nothing but grade 5 Reapers working together. Not sure how this is an issue.

I still don't see the problem. Nobody wants to pour work into FOTD just to have some lazy person take their loot at the end. That, I believe, is where you see the biggest conflict of opinions. Some say, "That's just pirate!" while others say, "That's griefing".

IMO, it is definitely griefing as you are stealing someone's time and effort. Not the popular opinion here, obviously, because "pirate game". But obviously the popular mindset overall as over 30 million unique people have played the game, but only 200k-ish are left playing online at any given time.

A deaf ear has been given to separate servers. Thus, the community has solved it on their own. Disable Alliance servers and you'll see all those players leave. That exodus could be fatal to the game, and I think Rare knows that as well.

Better decisions on Rare's part could have prevented the need for Alliance servers altogether.

So you are saying that stealing a fort that was designed to be fought over is griefing and lazy???

How? If they were not designed to be fought for, THEY WOULD NOT HAVE A GIANT CLOUD

Ahem. Also, Dont get this topic of course and to private servers to anchor it please.

I'm not getting anything off topic, so don't worry. I won't mention "that of which we do not speak" which, by the way, is INCREDULOUSLY stupid. Rare said their part, but no reason people shouldn't be able to even talk about it. hears noises. And with that, I leave you to it. sails away

You still avoid my giant cloud point. Also how is PVP lazy? Its a lot harder than spamming canonballs on Graymarrow who doesnt even have an AI.

Fighting for the fort is fine.

My issue lies with the cowardly snakes who hide until the work is done, then show up like a blister and piggy back off of some else's hard work. And they feel proud of that as well, which says a lot about a person.

I do believe a person's actions in-game represent their true personality. That's my opinion and, of course, you can disagree.

How is that a problem? If you do the fort for fun (Which is why you should be doing it in the first place) you did it. No one touched you. They just stole the loot.

The thing is, You dont need the loot. Loot only gives you cosmetics. If you are saying that you did a fort and the loot being stolen ruined your fun, That means you did not play for fun at all.

We steal loot for fun as we find FOTD Boring. We enjoy fighting for loot. We dont do it for the cosmetics as grinding ourselves is a lot faster. We do it for the fun fights.

PVE players find FOTD fun and we let them enjoy it then fight them. They can still protect it if they want too.

If you are doing the fort for the cosmetics you will get from it, Then you are not playing to have fun at all.

• @dragotech123 said:

...they just want to play a certain way with the tools that are given... their actions do not affect anyone on any other server. Not even the emmisary ledgers...

Spiking is not a tool that we are given. It is an exploit of the queueing system. Whether you view it as good or bad is your opinion, but it is an exploit.

I'm okay with it insofar as it's used to create community events or mini-games that aren't aiming to cheese. Which is why I would like private servers introduced & spiking removed.

And it may not bother you that the cheesing devalues titles, cosmetics and gold. But what takes people days, weeks or months to grind through organic play can be achieved in an afternoon on these servers. That is undeniable.

Those ledger thresholds are set so low to accommodate for casual play. If they were actually made competitive, save for 40-hr SoTters, it'd be just alliance players getting all the high tier rewards.

• @theblackbellamy dijo en Dropping Alliance Servers:

@dragotech123 said:

...they just want to play a certain way with the tools that are given... their actions do not affect anyone on any other server. Not even the emmisary ledgers...

Spiking is not a tool that we are given. It is an exploit of the queueing system. Whether or not you view it as good or bad is your opinion, but it is an exploit.

I'm okay with it insofar as it's used to create community events or mini-games that aren't aiming to cheese. Which is why I would like private servers introduced & spiking removed.

And it may not bother you that the cheesing devalues titles, cosmetics and gold. But what takes people days, weeks or months to grind through organic play can be achieved in an afternoon on these servers. That is undeniable.

Those ledger thresholds are set so low to accommodate for casual play. If they were actually made competitive, save for 40-hr SoTters, it'd be just alliance players getting all the high tier rewards.

The game itself is full of exploits, sword lunge into the water is the most basic exploit for example that existed since the betas (or even technical alfas) instead of swimming normally, putting the chest of sorrow on a rowboat with a harpoon and tow is an exploit instead of using the bucket, there are a lot of exploits or shortcuts in the game, and they don't break any rule, so that is why I don't see anything negative about it.

So, if you say spiking is an exploit I guess I can agree with that, but that exploit doesn't affect anyone else, after all that exploit is the result of Alliance Servers using the tools they were given in a certain way just how I mentioned the rowboat with the chest.
    If alliance server can achieve the work faster they found a shortcuts like many others. I don't think it would devalue title and cosmetics, they just found the shortcut to achieve those goal within the rules of the game.

So, emmisaries are made for casual gameplay, ok, then I guess there is no trouble with that since casual gameplay still can achieve a good spot.

• @thorumsu said in Dropping Alliance Servers:

How is that a problem? If you do the fort for fun (Which is why you should be doing it in the first place) you did it. No one touched you. They just stole the loot.

The thing is, You dont need the loot. Loot only gives you cosmetics. If you are saying that you did a fort and the loot being stolen ruined your fun, That means you did not play for fun at all.

We steal loot for fun as we find FOTD Boring. We enjoy fighting for loot. We dont do it for the cosmetics as grinding ourselves is a lot faster. We do it for the fun fights.

PVE players find FOTD fun and we let them enjoy it then fight them. They can still protect it if they want too.

If you are doing the fort for the cosmetics you will get from it, Then you are not playing to have fun at all.

Uhm. What if I told you, that all people have fun their own way? I have no idea why you think people who do it for cosmetics are not having fun at all. For example I'm currently trying to get everything from dark adventurers set, just for fun and for a collection. And I have literally no other way of getting it other than selling loot. And surprise-surprise, I can't sell loot if it gets stolen.
    And I could say the same thing about you. "If you're doing FOTD just for the PvP and to steal the loot from others, you're having fun the wrong way". Gotta love that gatekeeping in some of gaming communities.

I recently tried doing PvP for several days including fighting for several world events and it was the most boring experience I've ever had in this game. People either run for half an hour and then scuttle or just can't fight back adequately and sink in several minutes, or it's the opposite, they're extremely strong sweat lords who sink us in several minutes.
    Plus I don't really enjoy experiencing stress in a game. You know, I'm playing to have some good emotions, not bad. And also I do not enjoy ruining the game for someone else and stealing their hard earned loot. I don't know about you, but it feels extremely wrong for me personally. And I have to agree with @like-500-ninjas that someone's actions in-game represent their personality.
    I won't ever understand why people find this kind of activity enjoyable. So yeah, that "you don't have fun the right way" is not a good argument at all.

• I can see the entitlement people were talking about here, on both sides…

Especially y’all who think that you know exactly what people think and want without it ever being said…

cough

• @raesed-digital said in Dropping Alliance Servers:

Alliance Servers have done nothing but create entitled players that can't and won't fight. Overall, it makes for a boring evening when each boat you pull up on insta scuttles.

In actuality it seems the only entitled players that Alliance Servers have created are the ones crying and asking for Alliance Servers to be removed 🥁

• @thagoochiestman Correction: In actuality it seems the only entitled players that Alliance Servers have created are the ones crying and asking for Alliance Servers to be removed and those who are apparently inside everyone's heads... the people defending Alliance Servers. 🥁

It works both ways my friend.

• @scurvywoof I mean, the people against Alliance Servers are so opposed to them that they want to outright ban them.

And that's even though it seemingly conflicts with one of the game's core tenets: "tools not rules," and this being one of the tools that Rare themselves created.

So if that basic, underlying freedom for the player is being removed, who's to say that other "tools not rules" staples will also fall?

Such as freedom to choose an emissary or not. Freedom to even do any voyages. Freedom to Red Sea your loot.

Once the game becomes fixed, only a few have fun.

• @thagoochiestman said in Dropping Alliance Servers:

@scurvywoof I mean, the people against Alliance Servers are so opposed to them that they want to outright ban them.

That's a select few. I oppose forged ones, but I absolutely love organic ones and see no reason for alliances to be nerfed a lot for Alliance Servers, although something should definitely be done.

And that's even though it seemingly conflicts with one of the game's core tenets: "tools not rules," and this being one of the tools that Rare themselves created.

The Alliance, yes, but not the outside Sea of Thieves Discords that organise this or the, and I'm not kidding, paying to get into a server quicker. That is happening, and it is disgusting. They also create the same issues server hoppers like myself, do, but on a much larger scale.

So if that basic, underlying freedom for the player is being removed, who's to say that other "tools not rules" staples will also fall?

Such as freedom to choose an emissary or not. Freedom to even do any voyages. Freedom to Red Sea your loot.

Once the game becomes fixed, only a few have fun.

The biggest issue with Alliance Servers is not their existence, it's the way they divide the player base.

• @necronikolai13 said in Dropping Alliance Servers:

@raesed-digital yeah, couldn't have anything to do with shallow fighting mechanics that got boring after the first month

Because I’m sure in your 26 days you’ve gotten pretty cracked with the cutlass blunder combo.

• Oof... I have never seen so much Butt-hurt in one thread...

• They should reintroduce the 6th ship slot as a Reapers only slot, the more allianced ships/emissaries in a session the more likely a reaper will merge in. When a reaper is sunk they merge out of the session when an emissary is sunk they merge out.

• @necronikolai13 IF you told me i could go on a server away from pvp and do tall tales, cargo runs, fishing, and the stock exchange mechanic from the merchants. i would never look back. those are my favorite things to do and i realize most hate them but i love the chill nature of them. I dont come to SOT for a jolt of adrenaline i come to idly grind gold with friends or solo fishing trips. NEVER have i logged on going "oh boy im gonna go sink ships today!" it just isnt what i enjoy. I find it to be the most boring part of the game. Every encounter starts the same "shoot the masts, shoot blunderbombs to kill the crew inside the ship, board the ship, spawncamp until sunk, loot or leave, find another ship repeat." Not for me.

• I feel that a good fix to alliances without dropping the ship count would be to make it so at 2, the person selling loot keeps full value still, and second gets half the value, but with each ship after 2, dropping the amount gained by both seller and allies by only 1/3, or maby even 1/2, would disuade people from using it that way, but at the same time, no one would want to alliance with more than 1 ship at that point unless they dont care about loot.

• @targasbr Alliance servers are by no means killing the game, they are a very small percent of the community, they are unbalanced for sure, but they have little to no affect on the average game session.

• Aaaaah zombie thread, ZOMBIE THREAD!!!!!

🧟‍♂️🧟‍♀️🧟🧟🧟‍♀️🧟‍♀️🧟🧟🧟🧟‍♀️🧟‍♀️🧟🧟🧟‍♀️🧟🧟🧟‍♀️🧟‍♀️🧟🧟🧟🧟🧟‍♂️🧟🧟🧟🧟‍♀️🧟‍♀️🧟🧟‍♀️🧟🧟‍♀️🧟‍♀️🧟‍♀️🧟🧟🧟🧟‍♀️🧟‍♀️🧟‍♀️🧟🧟🧛‍♂️

NO DRACULA GET OUT!!

• As this thread was months old and revived today, it will now be locked.

A general reminder to all, please avoid reviving threads aged past 30 days, as it is considered a necro, and is against our Forum Rules.

Bumping Threads
    Bumping threads with content that is not providing additional information to the original post is not permitted. Resurrecting very old threads is also not permitted. A warning will be issued and the thread locked. Ignoring the warning will result in a temporary ban from the Forums and a final warning. If the action continues, a permanent ban from the Forums will be issued.

Views
feedback
53 out of 54