Unhappy campers

• Ok, so I understand the whole concept of the game, along with the whole “Sea of Thieves” shtick but tbh I’m getting fed up with grade five reapers camping around the Reaper Outpost when there are other reaper emissaries trying to level up and those grade fives don’t even sell!! I know the Reapers are pvp, but it takes the joy out of all of it if they’re just going to sit and wait for you to try and sell instead of selling their loot and moving on. Out of 10 recent plays on different servers I’ve counted 7 times this has happened to me and to other players as well. The game is becoming too toxic to be able to do certain things. This is why I think the Reapers should have a 2nd outpost to sell at.

Views
    xbox onequestioncommunityfeedback
  • The risk/reward system of reapers is about as solid as it gets.

People being annoying to other people isn't a flaw in the design.

It's very often annoying to be a reaper in this environment with certain styles being popular and it's also very profitable.

• The game is becoming too toxic to be able to do certain things

How is a player ship. Waiting around on an island being toxic?

You know. A clever pirate would rowboat over with some kegs and blow them to kingdom come.

• @trapposessed the reaper faction is meant to attract confrontation… it was NOT intended to be a “pve allianced server, make as much gold as possible faction”. If you raise the reaper emissary, expect to be confronted…even from other non- reaper, server hopping crews.

• So you're saying you keep finding level 5 reapers sat at the hideout who don't sell loot?! You've hit the jackpot! Go sink them, steal their loot, win win.

If you don't want the risk, then don't go reapers.

• @trapposessed
    Have you tried using cannonballs?

• Make them go blub blub then

• The prior suggestions are good ones.

Reapers are supposed to have no rules. Maybe they got bored and left. Did you ask them to ally so you could turn in your stuff, make them money (and correct me if I'm wrong... I stay away from reapers for obvious reasons) and rep?

They don't have to sink you lol.

• But the whole point of Reapers is to be hostile...? Someone sitting at Reapers selling spot is fine, if not encouraged, to nudge the player towards more interaction. If you think sitting at an outpost is too toxic for you to go around somewhere else and do something else in the meantime, good lord I fear for the day you get sunk with any loot that took over an hour to gather total.

It doesn't sound like the "bloodthirsty faction" is really cut out to be the faction you want to represent... I might suggest Merchants or Gold Hoarders?

• @trapposessed #RuinGoldenSands!Oh wait...

• @capt-soul-beard The only shame about the Reapers losing, is that I'm now unable to feast on their tears when they would have realized destroying Golden Sands meant just that, and nothing more.

• Wait, you're a Reaper, and another JUICY Grade V Reaper is sitting there waiting for a fight, and you won't take it?

If so, then it serves you right to not be able to sell. Don't put that flag up unless you want all that comes with it.

• Once upon a time long ago, my crew of 4 saw 2 galleons camped out @ RBH.

We sailed to Chicken Isle, and then rowed our rowboat + 1 other that we found on the island towards them with a plan.

We had 2 pirates and 2 gunpowder barrels per rowboat. We had ammo, blunderbombs, and 5x meat each. The plan was to approach the ships from behind where we would be less likely to be seen. As we passed Fools Lagoon, I suggested that we ditch the rowboats for an even more stealthy approach. We each grabbed a barrel and started to swim below the waves while watching for sharks - luckily none came (even if they had, the meat we were packing would have kept us alive and provide regeneration in the process).

As we made our way over, I explained to my crew that we should split up; 2 pirates per ship. Both pirates would swim below each ship and release their barrel - 1 at the front and the other at the back. I explicitly explained who would attack which ship and who would be at the front or back, as well as which ladder they should climb after they released their barrel. We timed the release of the barrels simultaneously in order to maximize chaos.

Upon release, we boarded, and rushed the crews as they struggled with repairs. The plan worked flawlessly. Both ships sunk in a matter of seconds.

2 galleons sank to a crew with no ship and a plan they set in motion.

This is how you pirate.

• @mrat13 said in Unhappy campers:

@capt-soul-beard The only shame about the Reapers losing, is that I'm now unable to feast on their tears when they would have realized destroying Golden Sands meant just that, and nothing more.

As a Reaper I think I would laugh harder if that was the case

• @trapposessed like a lot of other people are saying there not exactly hiding being parked at the out post nor is any one running reapers but it’s more to a fight than overwhelming them it’s one way to win a fight but you can also put smart them most crew are pretty straight forward so being smarter can win more fights than lose bring kegs, a row boat, heck sneak onto the island and use the cannons and skin there ships or you know don’t run reapers do GH, OOS, MA, or Athena’s you can make good gold and have 7 outposts to turn in at instead of one

• @trapposessed said in Unhappy campers:

This is why I think the Reapers should have a 2nd outpost to sell at.

So basically one of the only drawbacks for Reapers cashing out would be removed. I personally love Reaper cannibalism, let them eat their own. With a second outpost you are giving the PvE Reapers an easy out.

• IMO the toxic behavior is spamming text to speech via emotes, sinking your without taking the loot and logging out afterwards upon reaching grade 5. It's the ones who know you have nothing onboard but supplies and sink your ship just for that, spam TTS then log out. I've been playing since the tech alpha, my crew since launch and time and again we come across those emulating their favorite streamers (no disrespect intended) emulating their techniques that gain followers/subs/paycheck to them and now everyone else does it in the most 'trollish; of ways. If this is the direction Rare intends to take Sea of Thieves that is their perogative, but this pirate may be soon hanging up his hook over some ship balancing issues and the above-mentioned toxicity. Thanks for reading. :)

• @diehardtwb said in Unhappy campers:

IMO the toxic behavior is spamming text to speech via emotes, sinking your without taking the loot and logging out afterwards upon reaching grade 5. It's the ones who know you have nothing onboard but supplies and sink your ship just for that, spam TTS then log out. I've been playing since the tech alpha, my crew since launch and time and again we come across those emulating their favorite streamers (no disrespect intended) emulating their techniques that gain followers/subs/paycheck to them and now everyone else does it in the most 'trollish; of ways. If this is the direction Rare intends to take Sea of Thieves that is their perogative, but this pirate may be soon hanging up his hook over some ship balancing issues and the above-mentioned toxicity. Thanks for reading. :)

Some people sinking boats just to sink boats (which is within their freedom to do so) isn't really an indicator of negative streaming influence as some sort of common/widespread thing. Same goes for a lot of the spam that goes on.

Server hopping pvp is tied in with streaming to a pretty significant degree within the social side of the community but all that is at its core is quick action with rewards, it's based far more on getting loot than leaving it.

I rarely see anyone that sinks just to sink and leave and almost never see people targeting specific low value ships just to mess with them.

Hostile ships in a random environment largely come down to two types and both are looking for something of value on top of the sinks and kills. Random opportunity hostile where the food chain works itself out and server hopping pvp that is looking for potentially high value targets for their loot. Both of these are clean styles even if there is no loot and even if the loot isn't valuable enough after combat for them to take it all.

If this is the direction Rare intends to take Sea of Thieves

This game has always had random unpleasantness. Pretty unavoidable in general but especially in a risk/reward scenario.

I haven't seen anything to suggest this is getting worse. I'd say that content going from hardly anything to do to lots and lots of content made things overall more pleasant because people can spread out and succeed in many different ways and have more room to adapt and thrive.

I think the risk/reward environment is often not balanced which leads to unpleasantness as an effect but I don't think they are in the business of toxicity within the environment. Doesn't benefit them and doesn't benefit a large majority of streamers that prioritize SoT for their content.

• @diehardtwb said in Unhappy campers:

IMO the toxic behavior is spamming text to speech via emotes, sinking your without taking the loot and logging out afterwards upon reaching grade 5. It's the ones who know you have nothing onboard but supplies and sink your ship just for that, spam TTS then log out. I've been playing since the tech alpha, my crew since launch and time and again we come across those emulating their favorite streamers (no disrespect intended) emulating their techniques that gain followers/subs/paycheck to them and now everyone else does it in the most 'trollish; of ways.

For me, toxic players are those who use racial/homophobic slurs or who are just really horrible over mic. Everything else is fair game, sink me for no reason if you want, use 'troll tactics' against me, call me trash, you're free to play the game how you like.

People don't have to have a reason for sinking/ killing you, it's a game, it's fun to sink/ kill players. You can hardly blame streamers for troll behaviour in game, people have been trolling in multiplayer games long before streaming was ever a thing.

Views
xbox onequestioncommunityfeedback
19 out of 20