Thank you, Rare.

• I know the forums are usually a place where people bring their concerns, however, I wanted to just say: Thank you, Rare.

Thank you for making a wonderful game, a beautiful story, and continuing to support it for over 4 years.

I know developers do not always get the praise and thanks that they deserve, so I wanted to say thank you. I am 33 years old, and have played many games over my life, and whenever a gem like Sea of Thieves comes along, I truly appreciate every second that me and my wife can spend playing it.

Thank you, Rare. Your passion for this game continues to shine through and is both noticed and appreciated…even if the community gets a little grumpy at times. But what family doesn’t argue at times? Thanks again, you all are awesome.

Cheers

Views
    communityjust for funfeedbackgeneral
  • alt text

• I think it's nice to give genuine positive feedback.

I know developers do not always get the praise and thanks that they deserve

I disagree with this part. I think that the feedback online often leans outside an objective approach one way or the other. A lot of feedback will be positive to point of where it excuses and enables decisions that can be questionable and within that lacks accountability and a lot will be critical to point of trivial nit picking and accusatory manipulation of narratives.

This game really has no shortage of super positive feedback. Even with big marketing numbers it's still a small community and within that exists quite a bit of people that say positive things about devs for one reason or another. Being so tied in with streaming and twitch they pretty much have a volunteer PR team built in that are quite generous with their public feedback.

Imo investing in the super positive or the super negative stunts growth and improvement. There is always something to work on, something to improve, something to use as a resource to learn from, but also it's ok to make mistakes, and make odd decisions, it's not an indicator that anyone is malicious or incompetent it's just figuring it out as we go along. Own up to it, then move forward. Accountability is important but it doesn't have to be punishment by self or others. It only needs to be a tool for improving the experience. At times I believe it would benefit the product and the community by offering more transparency and communication than has been offered in the past. Having the power to make decisions is a perk that comes with creation but to maintain morale and understanding within the community it is important to be honest and open with the community, awkwardness or difficulty doesn't remove the importance of staying connected with people that invest in the environment.

Overall,

They have made an amazing product, something to be proud of even long after it's gone. Happenstance landed the game's prime right in the middle of a pandemic and the escapism undoubtedly made people's lives better and less harsh during stressful times.

• 4, and a bit, years ago I would've never even considered an always online, multiplayer, live service, AAA, PvPvE, shared world, sandbox pirate game would be my personal favorite game of all time. I was always a traditional single player kind of person and had a very jaded view of live service multiplayer games after the huge myriad of greedy and soulless games the plagued that market. But then Rare came along and showed me just how much potential there is in a game like this when a passionate team with a proper artistic intent are behind it.

In an industry that reeks of soulless corporate sequels and remakes that release every year, comes a game that's just oozing with love and passion and a vision. From the brilliant game design of the moment to moment gameplay of efficiently sailing a fully crewed galleon that gets players to fold into specific roles on the ship and has the players basically roleplay without them even realizing that they're roleplaying to having such an interesting and cool world building moment by just experiencing dying and respawning, this game is just incredible.

And that's without even mentioning the brilliant way they are constantly trying to use the live service of the game to elevate it even further. To make it feel like you're actually experiencing moments in time in this weird world, pieces of it's history. And then using cosmetics and those pieces of history to be the setup, the motive if you will, for players to have their own stories and then for them to tell others those stories they had and potentially have an actual item or cosmetic that represents that story for the player.

Waking up in the tavern to show your pirate is getting blackout drunk after you log off and waking up the next day when you come back. The mermaids returning you back to your ship and repairing your ship after you sink as a part of a deal with the pirate lord being an immersive way to explain those mechanics. The entire Sea of the Damned existing purely as an explanation for respawning in universe. The Shroud being an in universe explanation for the world border. Heck the main thing at stake during the Pirates of the Caribbean crossover being the respawn mechanic if you really think about it. And so many more things like that just show the absolute genius of the folks working over at Rare.

This game may have had a slow start and it may have some pretty annoying technical/server issues but, the talent and passion and the imagination of what Rare has done and has always been trying to do with this fantastic game has never been the issue. This game and the team behind it are genuinely some of the best in the AAA games industry right now, in my opinion of course.

I genuinely can't wait to see where they go next with this wonderful gem of a game!

Views
communityjust for funfeedbackgeneral
1 out of 4