My sea of Thieves idears

• I want to wake up wherever i left off, maybe even the bed of my ship. What's the point of the bed if not a checkpoint?

If i wake up in the tavern maybe let me rent my own room for a moment of respite.

In the tavern, and elsewhere, give EVERYONE voice acting. It makes the dialogue seem unimportant when it's just pages of unvoiced dialogue.

For new and casual players, we need a tour of the features of starting islands and the world that awaits. Can people sell boats and tools for your travels? What about a sleeping bag or tent? How about wood for a campfire and a pot to cook. Speaking of wood, why not let us cut down trees and use them for planks to build things like small huts or villages and of course wood for our ships?

I need a story or something going on when i log in so i know i have something to do, and the rewards have to be worth it. Speaking of turning in rewards.

My god, half the battle of enjoying this game is the feeling i get when I'm on an island and i want to haul things back to my ship and i have to move so slowly to get it back. Selling things is even worse. It's so time consuming. There needs to be a better way to store loot and move things around.

Speaking of helping hands to help you do this, something NEEDS to be done about players joining an open crew session. My god, 95% of the time the other player stands there and does nothing productive and I can't toss them off my ship because they can just mermaid back. We have to have a way to get rid of troll players. If the game really is about Thieves, then let us f*ing kill each other. Let me beat the other player to a pulp and throw him into a brig, or weigh him down and make him walk the plank. Let me role play while I'm dealing with incompetent twa with half a brain cell.

These are my major gripes i have right now and I'm sure more will surface but since these are the easiest ones to come to mind i find these to be the most important in addressing. Thanks.

Views
    feedbackgeneralcommunityjust for funstory & lore
  • Whew, someone's unhappy about the way open crew is right now...
    43 minutes as of right now before mod edit. Bets on how much longer?

• @nico-kaneo said in My sea of Thieves idears:

I want to wake up wherever i left off, maybe even the bed of my ship. What's the point of the bed if not a checkpoint?

If i wake up in the tavern maybe let me rent my own room for a moment of respite.

In the tavern, and elsewhere, give EVERYONE voice acting. It makes the dialogue seem unimportant when it's just pages of unvoiced dialogue.

For new and casual players, we need a tour of the features of starting islands and the world that awaits. Can people sell boats and tools for your travels? What about a sleeping bag or tent? How about wood for a campfire and a pot to cook. Speaking of wood, why not let us cut down trees and use them for planks to build things like small huts or villages and of course wood for our ships?

I need a story or something going on when i log in so i know i have something to do, and the rewards have to be worth it. Speaking of turning in rewards.

My god, half the battle of enjoying this game is the feeling i get when I'm on an island and i want to haul things back to my ship and i have to move so slowly to get it back. Selling things is even worse. It's so time consuming. There needs to be a better way to store loot and move things around.

Speaking of helping hands to help you do this, something NEEDS to be done about players joining an open crew session. My god, 95% of the time the other player stands there and does nothing productive and I can't toss them off my ship because they can just mermaid back. We have to have a way to get rid of troll players. If the game really is about Thieves, then let us f*ing kill each other. Let me beat the other player to a pulp and throw him into a brig, or weigh him down and make him walk the plank. Let me role play while I'm dealing with incompetent twa with half a brain cell.

These are my major gripes i have right now and I'm sure more will surface but since these are the easiest ones to come to mind i find these to be the most important in addressing. Thanks.

I like the voice idea, but that's about it. Everything else is either a bit too much, or would ruin the game.

I want to wake up wherever i left off, maybe even the bed of my ship. What's the point of the bed if not a checkpoint?

The point of the bed is as you bring up down below, to roleplay. Beyond that, if you sleep in the bed you will actually heal damage done to you which can be a handy way to preserve your food supplies for when they are more needed in the heat of a battle.

Waking in the Tavern has some gameplay reasons to it. It allows the devs to use Larina as a way to highlight new content that comes in updates, and as of recently to kick off Adventures and ensure players will have quick access to that at the start of every session. Further, after getting that focused info, they will now also be right at an Outpost where they can nab Voyages to do, raise an Emissary flag if they wish, buy some Supplies, customize their Ship, or purchase some Cosmetics.

This could be alright, but it is mostly not needed. I like the idea that as I logged off my pirate got a bit drunk and then passed out in some random Tavern. It is kind of thematically fitting for a pirate game.

The renting a room for respite part I don't think I fully understand what you mean. What specifically are you getting at here?

While I would absolutely love to see this, I can fully understand why they wouldn't want to do this. The logistics of getting voice actors back to do new lines when they happen to need to add new lines to a character during one of the many updates would be an absolute nightmare.

For new and casual players, we need a tour of the features of starting islands and the world that awaits.

That is sort of what the Maiden Voyage is all about. That first thing you do when you first load up the game where the Pirate Lord walks you through a few things and you have a small little island to explore and find secrets on. Now, that said, I do think it would be good for them to go back to this at some point and update it to explain a few more things and possibly explain a few new things.

Don't get me wrong, part of the charm of the game is figuring things out as you go along, but I do still think the Maiden Voyage falls a little short of what it should do for new players. Of course, I also did the gauntlet by fire approach back when the game first launched and the Maiden Voyage wasn't even a thing, but I am fine with new players getting more onboarding.

Can people sell boats and tools for your travels?

We all have the same tools, and we have them right from the get go. People can sell you skins for any of these things so you can have cooler looking stuff than what you first start off with, but the game does not feature much vertical progression and that is actually part of the charm of the game. We are all generally on equal footing, skill and knowledge is mostly what sets us apart.

What about a sleeping bag or tent?

For RP purposes? Well, that could work ok for some Emotes and I would have no qualms with that. But otherwise, this isn't really a survival game, so there wouldn't be a whole lot of point in this outside of some cheeky fun. We do already have some Sleep Emotes that might cover your needs though.

How about wood for a campfire and a pot to cook.

Wood can be purchased from the Merchant Alliance at any Outpost. You get 1 Crate per Game Day per Outpost. They come with 50 Planks and function as an ok Gold Sink. As for a Pot there is essentially no need for that. You have a Stove right on your Ship to cook, and most islands have a fire with a suspended pan that you can use Planks to fuel and then light it up and cook with. So they are just out there in the world for you, and your Ship always has one.

Speaking of wood, why not let us cut down trees and use them for planks to build things like small huts or villages and of course wood for our ships?

Because this is a session based adventure game, not a persistent world survival game. This idea really doesn't make any sense for the kind of game that SoT is, but there are some great survival games out there that can scratch this itch. SoT can't be everything, so for some stuff we all need to look elsewhere.

Well, there is a bit of that - Tall Tales and Adventures. Other than that, this is a session based sandbox game, the story is the one you make yourself each time you get on. If you just need some goals, take a look under the Reputation and all the Commendations you can chase with each respective Faction. The Bilge Rats in particular are loaded to the brim with all sorts of activities to engage in, but all the main Factions have a nice spread of things related to them as well.

So set your goals, get on the Sea, and find out what happens for that part of your story. Will you battle skeletons? Will you kill a Meg? Will you scuttle a Skelly Ship? Will you battle other pirates? Will you succeed at the goal you set for yourself or face a minor setback and defeat? And that will be different every single time.

This is part of the risk/reward loop of the game. Hauling loot around is risky because you might encounter other players who wish to sink you and take that loot for themselves. You are meant to be especially vulnerable at the moment of selling as you're trying to move as fast as possible, which means your guard is lowered some compared to normal, and others can try to move in for the kill/steal.

For loading, the Harpoons on the Ships or a Rowboat can help speed up the overall process considerably. The Rowboat can help as well in the selling process, depending on circumstances, as can general docking skills and some general forethought on your approach to selling. Also be sure to make use of Collector Chests (the ones you can open) to move more Trinkets at a single time.

Well, every Ship except for the Sloop does have a Brig to help deal with troublesome players. You need a majority vote from the Crew to lock someone up, which is why it just doesn't work out for a Sloop (you would basically always have a 50/50 split vote). It doesn't solve someone being a freeloader, but can get trolls who try to harm the crew in other ways out of the way.

Thankfully, as noted above, this game is also session based. So if you find yourself in a situation that is less than ideal you can always leave that session and start a new one. Other than Legend Voyages, there is no special reward for completing a Voyage (beside Commendation progress) so you don't even need to worry about finishing what you're doing. Go sell what you have collected and get out of there. No sense letting someone ruin your fun or cause you a headache. Just move on.

A kick mechanic is not a great idea because it would likely be used to troll more than it would be used to prevent trolling - like kicking a player from a crew after they worked hard with them to get a bunch of loot so that a friend of the crew can join and get the rewards leaving that player with nothing. Among others.

Thanks for dropping by to share some feedback. Hopefully my response was able to shed a little insight on a few things that are likely not to change so you better understand why. Other ideas that were in here could be alright as noted in the reply.

Best of luck on the seas, and look forward to hearing other ideas you might have in the future!

• I want to wake up wherever i left off, maybe even the bed of my ship. What's the point of the bed if not a checkpoint?

Well, before, not all ships at the time had a bed. Also, what if by some small chance, you leave your ship some location and by another chance...when you "return" it places you where another player ship is?

Why?

give EVERYONE voice acting

Meh, waste of money if you ask me.

For new and casual players, we need a tour of the features of starting islands and the world that awaits.

Maiden Voyage, Start new game and it pretty much does this. Besides, it all about Self exploring. Not hand holding.

Speaking of wood, why not let us cut down trees and use them for planks to build things like small huts or villages and of course wood for our ships?

The physics would be over whelming. Pirates cutting down trees? meh no thanks.

I need a story or something going on when i log in so i know i have something to do, and the rewards have to be worth it.

Points to Tall Tales, Voyages...Events...

Selling things is even worse. It's so time consuming. There needs to be a better way to store loot and move things around.

Enjoy the game, take your time, no need to rush everything.

then let us f*ing kill each other. Let me beat the other player to a pulp

Think of the abuse this would do to players who Join your crew and beat "You" to a pulp. :/

Sleep and regain life. Checkpoint is completely unnecessary.

I also find this unnecessary.

Interesting, but if English is not native or fluent enough, it is unnecessary.

We already have Maiden Voyage that does that. A simple tutorial that takes you to buy a Gold Hoarder quest, dig and sell the chest. In addition to several signs that indicate what we have in the outpost.

We already have supplies sales. Sleeping bag is unnecessary, your ship already has a bed. We have several tents on the islands. And you can find cooking spots on several islands too, in addition to your ship. Building houses? No, I don't want this game to become a survival game.

We have Adventures and Tall Tales, don't you think that's enough?

The delay to sell is purposeful, to give other players time to steal from you. Resources you can quickly pick up with a box.

Just call friends to play, playing this game in open crew is asking to be sunk every 5 minutes.

Have you tried playing Atlas? Looks like Sea of ​​Thieves isn't the game for you.

This would be quite nice actually.

No. Throw them in the deep end and let them experiment and learn themselves.

The story is your story that you create.

No.

then let us [bad word] kill each other.

MODS! it's been 7 hours now

8 hours now...

• inbeforeanchor

• I was on a brig doing the second portion of legend of the veil, one crewmate was on another boat in our alliance, and one joined us. He decided that he was going to do all in his power to not help with the voyage. I finished the wreck and came back to the surface to bring our loot to the boat... and there was no boat! he left to start the adventure! then when I tried to turn the boat, he dropped all our legendary loot off the boat! Then he sailed off and sank our boat! it was so frustrating because I was powerless against his stupidity. I lost my emissary grade 4 1/2 flag, and all my loot because this guy just joined randomly. to me if you have a specific voyage you want to do, start your own boat, don't join someone else. I wish I could have kicked him or something.

• I learned my lesson about open crew that day

Views
feedbackgeneralcommunityjust for funstory & lore
1 out of 10