Sloops be the most overpowered ship on the seven seas.

• Now we all have played on sloops, alone or in a pair does not matter, but if you play a sloop, and you get panicked from seeing a brig or a galleon, you obviously do not know how to play a sloop and complain about that bigger ships are OP and that sloops need a buff.

Sloops can tank an incredible amount of damage, is incredibly versatile and can escape any bigger ship when against the wind. The most insane combat is 1 sloop vs another sloop. As sloops do not need a lot of fixing, and if the helmsman knows what he is doing, a sloop could easily sink even a galleon with a full, experienced crew.

If you want to become an experienced solo-slooper, practise with lone skellyships or ghost fleet voyages to build a good way to manage to steer your ship and shoot your cannons at once without getting stressed. Or if you want to become an awesome double sloop crew like me and my friend Samy, I recommend for you to do the ghost voyages or skeleton fleets to learn how to manoeuvre your sloop in the best way. One of you should be awesome when it comes to steering the ship, evading, Anker-turning at the right moment, sail managing, that should be one of you. The other should always be the cannoneer. Shooting at other ships, not over to. Getting masts down and aiming for the cannons to not give the bigger ships a chance of retaliation.

Sentence of the day: The sloop does not suck against bigger ships, you just don't know how to use it properly.

Views
  • Yeah no I'm gonna stop you there sir.

No matter how good of a solo slooper you are, you are going to be challenged with several things, the biggest one is being out numbered, which unless you have eight arms and can equip all 4 weapons simultaneously, you will not win a direct 1v3+ fight.

Sloop v Brigantine/Galleon Naval is laughable without cursed cannonballs, kegs, or emergent interference, since they can chuckle and patch the holes the one sloop is making, and since boarding as a solo sloop is an extremely risky death wish, you'd be smarter not to do it unless it's a last resort or you know the crew won't be in tip top shape at their ladder when you attempt to board.

Sloops cannot survive a broad v broad against a larger ship most of the time because any crews with good naval knowledge in this game will immediately resort to chainshots, since knocking that down + pressure at the helm + pressure in hull can make it nearly impossible for a solo sloop to raise their mast back up, and by that point, you can send multiple boarders knowing you'll still have someone on helm keeping the boat well mended while the boarders play the numbers game and slay out the solo sloop.

Things are much better with the duo sloop, but in that case, a more skilled duo sloop crew should not go broad v broad with a larger ship for that same chainshot scenario, and to also beware of the devastating death by cannonball, as that will make your crew much more vulnerable especially if you lose mast in that kind of scenario, then refer to the last paragraph about multi boarding and numbers game.

I would like all the good sloop pirates to kindly get off of their high mast and see what kind of struggles intermediate and advanced sloop players still have to suffer through in combat than say it's not that hard, because it is going to be that hard, and it will be that hard if the situation ends up that way.

• @nex-stargaze

Yep, that are the reasons you will also hear from streamers who sail solo on sloop all day long, and even if not, you can see it for yourself by watching their streams and how they approach the enemy or not.

The single correct point about the resilience of the sloop is also a theoretical scenario because it supposes that the enemy is not using chainshots and cursed cannonballs, thus most likely an impression gained from PvE encounters where the number of chainshots is null and the cursed cannonballs mostly low.

• I consider myself an advanced sloop pilot and yeah basically the main advantage of the sloop is that it's super maneuverable and I can escape galleons and brigs by going against the wind. But they can still catch up to me if they know to zig zag.

I do prefer playing sloop because it's easy, but I never try to take galleons unless I'm about to leave the game in which case I usually ram with gunpowder barrel as a goodbye to the session.

• @foodzilla7499
    Btw sloop aint even the fastest against wind anymore. Brig has matching speed against wind and is faster in all other situations.

• Hilarious, and no.

A sloop can absolutely take out a galleon or a brig, however that is usually in the case of a bad open-crew where the moment a teammate gets killed a time or two they rage-quit and the galleon is left with 2-3 players instead of 4 (and the brig with 1-2 instead of 3). A good duo sloop can go toe-to-toe with a bad, undermanned team, sure. But they are far from OP, especially solo-slooping. Solo-slooping, even as a fairly good player, will lose 9 out of 10 battle against good crews, and really only excels when a crew is either distracted at a world event or getting help from skeleships or a kraken or something. The big problem is getting popcorned off your sloop and waiting 3+ minutes for a mermaid (bye ship), or one-balled (at which point, good crews will board and it is 1v1 or 2v1 or 3v1) and you can't repair and boom, sunk.

A good sloop crew can fight well against any bad/undermanned crew, but they are FAR from OP. And solo is a no-go.

Views
1 out of 6