An 87-Slide Presentation on Optimizing Fishing

• An 87-slide presentation in which I thoroughly analyze and answer the question: "Is cooking fish worth the time?"

Started as some napkin math a few weeks ago and spiraled out of control. After day two it just became a personal project I wanted to see through. I thought you all might find some amusement in this ridiculous over-analysis though.

TL;DR:

At best (and when I say at best, I mean it), cooking your fish provides about 1,500 more gold/reputation per hour than cooking no fish at all, at the cost of catching 8 to 10 less fish per hour. That's the value of one mermaid/siren gem (before any emissary bonuses) per hour.

So, if that ~1,500 gold is a big deal for you, then by all means, cook up some fish. I have found the perfect combination of exactly which fish to cook so you don't have to. Otherwise, don't bother.

Views
  • Superb.

Many of your findings match my intuition for what works best, but haven't seen the math done quite this extensively. Love it.

Also great to see that cooking most fish does not offer much in way of gold vs spending that time catching another fish. I always wince a bit when I see my crew cooking all fish, and not just the rare types, and now I have some numbers to help sway them toward just fishing more instead.

Also, good for you for collecting your own data on spawn rates. One recommendation if you did want to replicate your analysis for pondies is to use this spot on the shores of gold in which fish automatically despawn.

With some recording software, you could probably very quickly replicate and document the fish rarity to see if it is consistent with splash tails, which would provide evidence that the distribution is consistent across all types.

• I took two semesters of graduate research and that is one of the best research presentations I have seen. Bravo!

Views
2 out of 3