Arena Revamp Ideas

• Presently, the arenas are dead and broken. I don't want to debate how or why that came to be here. Instead I suggest some simple ideas that could breathe new life into the arenas and even improve the new player experience.

• Fix the existing bugs, obviously
      Not being able to tell where the treasure actually is during the match because the beacon is bugged is incredibly frustrating, and has been broken for like six months already. This destroys half the strategy of the game, and nobody wants to play a fundamentally broken game mode. Please fix.

• Keep cross team chat turned off
      The only reason to chat across teams in a match based game is psychological warfare, to tilt your opponents so they play badly. This should have been turned off from the beginning in my opinion and Rare created their own toxicity problem in the arenas by not following this fairly standard rule in online match based team gameplay in the first place.

• Put regular item spawns in arenas
      There was a bug recently where I found some gunpowder kegs had spawned on a fort in a sloop arena match. This bug was just patched apparently, but that was the most fun I'd had in an arena match in a long time. I think it would add some good variety and mix up the tactics a bit to intentionally keep random item spawns in the arenas. If a crew can spare a member to run ashore and look for cursed cannonballs or kegs, they could come back empty handed, they could turn the tide of the battle for the team, or they could accidentally keg their own ship. It would certainly alter the monotony of the arenas a bit.

• Add voting on arena game modes
      This could be as simple as adding a big captains table to the arena lobby, where players can vote on one of a few different arena game modes. This could be as simple as an Arena 1.0 and 2.0 option for starters, modes that basically already are or were in the game. Some players liked the more PVE focused aspects of the original arenas, while others prefer the PVP focus of the current arenas. Let players just vote which one in the lobby. You could even add a "TDM AT FORT" mode, which would help with some of those gun achievements in the arenas. This might just reduce the frequency of veteran boarding campers farming other crews for gun kills to unlock those last achievements like they do in the arenas now.

• Follow the maiden voyage with Sea Dogs training grounds
      A common complaint I have seen from new players is that they complete the maiden voyage, gain some basic familiarity with the PVE aspects of the game, then don't encounter their first PVP experience until they have a ship full of treasure that they now have no idea how to defend. Instead of continuously shrinking the arenas button in the main menu, the arenas could be promoted as the next logical thing to do after the maiden voyage to follow your basic PVE education with a PVP crash course, before losing your stuff in Adventure mode.

• Make a Sea Dogs themed season
      Lastly, give the Sea Dogs some love and either base an upcoming season around them or feature them heavily some way in a season update, after implementing some/any/all of the improvements suggested above. A new set of rewards and seasonal events would bring people back to the arenas, and if they found all these other changes and improvements there, it could breathe new life into a game mode that needn't have died in the first place.

Rare, please steal these ideas and revamp your arenas, it's really in everyone's best interest. Personally, I can't play Adventure mode on my lunch break, and presently I can't play Arenas on my lunch break either because the game mode is so dead. Not everyone has the hours to spare for Adventure mode and I miss being able to just drop in for quick matches of Sea of Thieves.

Views
  • I don't think they are revamping Arena, bud.

• @personalc0ffee said in Arena Revamp Ideas:

I don't think they are revamping Arena, bud.

🥺

😤 "Never give up! Never surrender!"

• @artibyrd said in Arena Revamp Ideas:

Presently, the arenas are dead and broken. I don't want to debate how or why that came to be here.

well honestly there is not really much to debate other then the reason that arena is in its current state.

Rare have made it clear here on december the 2nd 2020: https://youtu.be/i70-hreX-BI?t=147

that Arena will not receive any future development time.

• @artibyrd
    I agree.
    I love arena, but i don't find player for a healthy contest other TDM or spawn camp

• I've thought about it a lot, and I think the real reason Rare may never revisit the arenas is hidden in plain sight at the bottom of the patch notes in every single update since I've started playing: hit registration problems. There's obviously some core fundamental problem with the way the game handles hit registration that the devs have never been able to solve. In Adventure mode this problem can often largely go unnoticed, but in a competitive Arena setting, this problem suddenly becomes very accentuated. If Rare is incapable of solving their hit reg problem, a competitive mode for Sea of Thieves simply isn't feasible. Maybe Rare should stop pretending and just remove arenas entirely already then.

• @callmebackdraft
    Okay.
    I don't want to start an argument here, so hear me out:
    I'd like to point out they aren't closing every "Update arena" post as much as they aren't closing every "PvE servers" post.
    Despite the fact that they have said they won't be changing it, they aren't treating it like such.

Not to mention they can't just ignore Arena forever... eventually they'll have two options: update it or remove it.
    There might... still be hope?

• I only agree with the first idea

I've thought about it a lot, and I think the real reason Rare may never revisit the arenas is hidden in plain sight at the bottom of the patch notes in every single update since I've started playing: hit registration problems. There's obviously some core fundamental problem with the way the game handles hit registration that the devs have never been able to solve. In Adventure mode this problem can often largely go unnoticed, but in a competitive Arena setting, this problem suddenly becomes very accentuated. If Rare is incapable of solving their hit reg problem, a competitive mode for Sea of Thieves simply isn't feasible. Maybe Rare should stop pretending and just remove arenas entirely already then.

No, it’s the simple fact that only about 3% of the community actively played the mode and it was also the primary source of reports of toxic behavior and such. It simply wasn’t a logical move to continue to invest further development time into the mode when this was the case.

• @illbushido305

These are the common arguments I always hear on this topic, but if you read my original post, you will find I already addressed both of your points:

• Arenas are unpopular because Rare never updates them or adds new content to them. If Rare took the same approach to Adventure mode and never added new content or cosmetics, people would obviously get bored and quit that game mode too.
    • Disabling cross team chat in competitive team games is basically standard industry practice in online gaming, exactly because it breeds toxicity. Most games DEFNITELY don't have cross team voice chat for these same reasons. It was Rare's fault for leaving this enabled for so long and creating their own problem with toxicity in arenas.

@illbushido305

These are the common arguments I always hear on this topic, but if you read my original post, you will find I already addressed both of your points:

• Arenas are unpopular because Rare never updates them or adds new content to them. If Rare took the same approach to Adventure mode and never added new content or cosmetics, people would obviously get bored and quit that game mode too.
    • Disabling cross team chat in competitive team games is basically standard industry practice in online gaming, exactly because it breeds toxicity. Most games DEFNITELY don't have cross team voice chat for these same reasons. It was Rare's fault for leaving this enabled for so long and creating their own problem with toxicity in arenas.

Okay but you were guessing the reason for not being updated as if it was mystery when they have literally said the reasons. I gave you their official reasoning. They have already said that they are done updating the mode so begging for more is quite pointless as it doesn’t help the game.

• Nothing will fix arena because its a terrible concept.

• It was always a waiting time issue for me. If they could get matches to start in around 2 minutes by improving the matchmaking, and removing the 10 minute re-join option, then I'm sure the player count would go up.

Temporary Bans for players quitting and disconnecting also hurt the player count.

• @personalc0ffee a man can dream my friend

• Maybe someday they'll abandon the current Arena and bring us a true Battle Royale Last Ship Standing Arena. Look at some of the most popular competitive games out there. Mostly BRs. COD, BF, probably Halo when the dust settles...even the main 3 FPS staples all realized the demand is in BR.

Arena is/was a unique concept and I understand why they did it...they wanted to deliver a condensed competitive version of Adventure...but that's not what people looking for a condensed competitive mode really want.

• I want them to add one thing for Arena and that is make is so you don't need a full lobby before starting a game. Sometimes you have 3 boats and the game won't start till you get 2 more for a full match, but while you're waiting people get tired of waiting and leave and it can take a long time before a game starts.

Add a timer for how long people have to wait in the lobby and if there are atleast 2 boats when the timer runs out start the game.

It might revive Arena a bit if people can get a match without waiting half an hour for one.

Views
1 out of 16