Arena mode dead and buried?

• For some time now, I have been struggling to find a session in arena mode. Either we have to wait almost longer than the game itself or it's full bug. Between pings so high that you can hardly fight properly, there are some lags and hitreg who finishes everything.

Is an update to this mode planned one day or is this mode definitively dead?

Views
    xbox one767windows 10738competition297
  • @elfyzenix-fr fairly sure Rare said they’re not supporting the mode anymore unfortunately

• @ninja-naranja It's very sad. Because in the end it's useless then. So why leave it with so many bugs, what's more. I might as well delete me directly.

• I'm not an arena dude but I'm torn on it at this point

On one hand I'm glad it exists and support it being a condensed option for action and something that requires less time dedication

on the other I don't like that it sits in a purgatory of piratical neglect

I'm tempted to support something like giving everyone 90 days notice to top off their commendations and give it a mercy kill but I think it's probably best to just hold on to it and see if private servers ever actually become a thing in this game and then kill it off with a 90 day warning

I think that's the realistic future of some sort of successful activity outside of adventure. If it ever happens

• It'd be nice if they actually fixed things when they break them while doing something else, like the chest beacons not working reliably anymore.

In my experience, trying to play on weekdays or in non-prime-time hours is just going to be a lot more waiting than it's worth.

• @wolfmanbush "If private servers ever become a thing..."

Rare said they will never add them and they don't really seem to be swaying on that position. I really don't think they're going to kill Arena. Sweatlords would be too angry.

• @oddpoem71481766 said:

@wolfmanbush "If private servers ever become a thing..."

Rare said they will never add them

Rare said they would never add private servers that allowed gold and rep progress. However, they do plan to release custom servers, which are private but free of any progress.

I'm hoping that whenever they roll them out, they include options to set the servers to Arena 1.0 and 2.0.

This would allow players who enjoyed the mode to continue playing it in privacy. Then Rare can retire public Arena lobbies for good, if they don't intend to maintain them as they initially promised.

• @d3adst1ck said:

In my experience, trying to play on weekdays or in non-prime-time hours is just going to be a lot more waiting than it's worth.

That used to be the case up until just a few patches ago. Something changed. NA players have been loading into EU servers. Lobbies have been hanging a lot more frequently. Players are randomly disconnecting, or having trouble loading in at all. Some new infinite black-screen bug that requires a restart.

I've seen these issues during prime-time hours on weekends, and even with full galleon & sloop lobbies.

• @wolfmanbush said in Arena mode dead and buried?:

On one hand I'm glad it exists and support it being a condensed option for action and something that requires less time dedication

I'm tempted to support something like giving everyone 90 days notice to top off their commendations and give it a mercy kill but I think it's probably best to just hold on to it and see if private servers ever actually become a thing in this game and then kill it off with a 90 day warning

This.

I love Arena. It doesn't get the love it deserves from the playerbase...and it never will. It deserves a good 90 day send-off where (hopefully) there is a ton of activity and participation. A send-off where we can appreciate it for what it is/was...and hopefully remind us all - and Rare - why a quick and competitive SoT option is a great idea.

I wish more new players realized they could accidentally make more gold in an Arena match than they could in an equivalent amount of time in Adventure...and they'd probably have more fun doing it too.

• It is chicken and egg problem.

Not enough people pay arena because the wait times are too long.

Rare will not fix arena because not enough people play it.

Simple fix. A mermaind statue that takes players to either the tears shrine, golden sands, reapers or one of the forts. Waters around each of these have insane amounts of sharks to limit the size of the world. Here players can PVP until the next ship PVP starts. Very little mapping required because they are using existing maps, just copy and paste, add a few ammo crates and boom done. Do that and many of us will play arena again, especially when you do not have time for a full adventure mode.

Once that happens it would be worth rare looking into the other issues around arena.

• @sweetsandman said in Arena mode dead and buried?:

@wolfmanbush said in Arena mode dead and buried?:

This.

I love Arena. It doesn't get the love it deserves from the playerbase...and it never will. It deserves a good 90 day send-off where (hopefully) there is a ton of activity and participation. A send-off where we can appreciate it for what it is/was...and hopefully remind us all - and Rare - why a quick and competitive SoT option is a great idea.

I wish more new players realized they could accidentally make more gold in an Arena match than they could in an equivalent amount of time in Adventure...and they'd probably have more fun doing it too.

While I don't think Arena should of been abandoned, just for the one point of legendary set cosmetics being locked in the mode, saying you can make more gold in arena in the same time is just plain false.

Since the introduction of lost shipment voyages, I have come to realize with a merchant emissary a solo can make 90k every 20 minutes if they are fast and efficient with the clues and loading the crates at the shipwreck. You cant even get into and finish one round of arena in the same time these days. Sometimes you can't even start a round in 20.

• @kommodoreyenser

I specifically said new players

Yes, you can definitely make way more in adventure once you've got the hang of things. Like, it's not even close. At all.

But, for those newer adventures that take 45 minutes doing one riddle on Wanderers Refuge only to dig up a collector's chest with a couple GH trinkets inside...they could accidentally come in 4th place in Arena and make 4k gold in 20ish minutes including wait times.

Maybe I'm just lucky or the NA East region loves Arena...but whether I'm solo queueing or playing with my buddy in Sloop Arena, we get into matches really fast...like if we wait more than 5 minutes I'd be shocked. I can't speak for Gally Arena, though...I've heard that's where wait times can be comically long.

• @sweetsandman said in Arena mode dead and buried?:

@kommodoreyenser

I specifically said new players

Yes, you can definitely make way more in adventure once you've got the hang of things. Like, it's not even close. At all.

But, for those newer adventures that take 45 minutes doing one riddle on Wanderers Refuge only to dig up a collector's chest with a couple GH trinkets inside...they could accidentally come in 4th place in Arena and make 4k gold in 20ish minutes including wait times.

If they did as you think though they will never rank up in companies to get those better voyages or gain the skills to do them quickly.

Maybe I'm just lucky or the NA East region loves Arena...but whether I'm solo queueing or playing with my buddy in Sloop Arena, we get into matches really fast...like if we wait more than 5 minutes I'd be shocked. I can't speak for Gally Arena, though...I've heard that's where wait times can be comically long.

Na East as well and it is extremely miss and some hit for my friend and me. Sometimes we go right into a match (usually first one). Then it’s a never ending wait for 20 minutes for another lobby. Most times we quit out and go adventure after 5-10 minutes as we have limited play time and don’t wanna just wait around to have 3 matches in 2 hours.

• a couple items which may help:
    a) some sort of indication how to start a match once you join. (i.e. the match will start automatically once all crews are filled). Its quite confusing to enter the tavern and you don't know if you need to interact with an NPC or some poster to start the match. (what was that cannon noise? am i supposed to do something to say im ready, was that the noise?).

b) improved match matching. How can it really take 20 minutes for 10 players to request to enter an arena match, or more realistically 5 when the prior match ends and 5 players are still in.

how is it not simple to just fill matches in an orderly fashion. I get people joining then dropping right away can muck it up, but keep filling the oldest queue'd match first.

Maybe this would be considered too much work and not aligned with 'we're not continuing to work on this' but something surely seems amiss with the queue filling. I don't think the player count is really the issue since leaving and rejoining doesnt put you back in the same lobby or the same players often enough to make it seem like there are only 20-30 players total in the region.

• They should just roll back to Arena 1.0... Arena 2.0 became too PvP-focused, and that's not really a strength of the game. Original Arena had broader appeal to players of all types and was intended to be a condensed version of Adventure. I can see the appeal of 2.0 for PvPers looking for competition but, let's face it, the game is not "esports ready". And, yes, hopefully they'll add Arena as an option for custom servers so those who do want to have those competitive encounters can - and can easily.

• I would love Arena in adventure mode. Giving Sea Dogs their own faction, their own flag, with commendations focused only on pvp, their own quests and so on. The Tavern is already in adventure, and right now is just a good place to resupply, hiding loot snatched at fotd and for Tower Defense TDMing. It could be much more. I also love Demarco and Lesedi as characters, and I have read their adventures on comics. It could be also an opportunity to place Osgar Seamark as an npc, he's such a good character. My only concern with this is that placing arena in adventure will obviously cause alliance servers to cheese the commendations, and this would be very unrespectful for those who did the grind in Standard Arena.

• @miserenz said in Arena mode dead and buried?:

It is chicken and egg problem.

Not enough people pay arena because the wait times are too long.

Rare will not fix arena because not enough people play it.

Not enough people ever played Arena other than maybe its launch. People seen what it was about and then went right back to adventure. Over time the numbers dropped and dropped. They attempted a revival by revamping the entire mode into a more PvP focused mode which backfired.

And on top of that, it attracted a particular nasty crowd that was so toxic, they outright removed communication and had to ban a bunch of them.

Player behavior is what killed Arena, not Rare.

Rare just finally ran the numbers and realized it ain't worth it and finally pulled the plug in the that infamous update. They said they'd keep it going and that was it.

Arena was an experiment and it failed.

• @elfyzenix-fr said in Arena mode dead and buried?:

For some time now, I have been struggling to find a session in arena mode. Either we have to wait almost longer than the game itself or it's full bug. Between pings so high that you can hardly fight properly, there are some lags and hitreg who finishes everything.

Is an update to this mode planned one day or is this mode definitively dead?

Rare has stated publicly that they are not going to invest anymore time improving or updating the Arena. Rare will continue to monitor and patch the Arena as needed but they aren’t going to add or change anything to make the Arena relevant again.

Personally I feel like it was an attempt to pull PvP out of the Sea of Thieves and give them an area with like minded individuals.

• @personalc0ffee said:

Player behavior is what killed voice/text communication. That includes everyone who wasted Rare's time with unwarranted reports, as much as it includes those who were banned for legitimate reasons.

But in any case, you can't blame player toxicity for the poor matchmaking/merging systems. Can't blame toxicity for the lack of fresh new content, which may have helped with player retention. Is toxicity the reason they haven't fixed the chest beacon? Are we having trouble loading into matches at all now, due to toxicity?

The mode is still available, and thus hasn't been "killed" yet; though it has been neglected for a very long time. This is on Rare. Not the players.

• @theblackbellamy said in Arena mode dead and buried?:

@personalc0ffee said:

Player behavior is what killed voice/text communication. That includes everyone who wasted Rare's time with unwarranted reports, as much as it includes those who were banned for legitimate reasons.

But in any case, you can't blame player toxicity for the poor matchmaking/merging systems. Can't blame toxicity for the lack of fresh new content, which may have helped with player retention. Is toxicity the reason they haven't fixed the chest beacon? Are we having trouble loading into matches at all now, due to toxicity?

The mode is still playable, and thus hasn't been "killed" yet; though it has been neglected for a very long time. This is on Rare. Not the players.

Player behavior was not inherently a negative statement. Players choosing to ignore Arena and stick to adventure is also player behavior. There are players that have never touched Arena, they would technically factor into its downfall as well because they wouldn't be in its matchmaking pool.

Toxicity is a very huge reason players did not care for the mode and why they muted communications, that in turn leads to lower player retention, which leads to longer wait times because there are no players in the matchmaking pool, which finally leads to frequent merging.

Arena did not strike me as a mode that was going to be updated as much as Adventure, if at all. It struck me as the the kind of mode you wanted to play when you did not have time to fully commit to adventure. It was about a healthy competition for fun.

Rare are neglecting it because people didn't bother with it. They didn't get the numbers they expected/wanted/needed to warrant keeping the mode active.

That is on the players, not on Rare. I'm guilty of it too. I barely touch Arena. I don't particularly like it. I didn't like it as a concept and was not excited for it to come to the game.

Players need to take responsibilities for their actions, we all do. We are the reason Arena failed, not Rare.

• @personalc0ffee said:

Players choosing to ignore Arena and stick to adventure is also player behavior... Arena did not strike me as a mode that was going to be updated as much as Adventure, if at all. It struck me as the the kind of mode you wanted to play when you did not have time to fully commit to adventure.

Ok?.. I'm not sure why just because the mode has a time limit, that it should be excluded from updates...

They added a grind to it. Then they added another grind. Then they stopped.

What motivation did players who completed both grinds have to continue playing Arena? Of course they ignored it.

Imagine if they just stopped adding content for people to grind in Adventure. No new cosmetics, titles, things-to-do. Other than us die-hards, a lot of players would probably move on to other games.

I'm not saying players aren't at all responsible; however most of the reason Arena declined, and is continuing to decline, is because Rare never gave the mode the attention it needed. Now, it seems they won't even maintain the mode to keep it playable. The players who are interested, and are trying to play, are sitting in occupied lobbies that will not start.

• @theblackbellamy said in Arena mode dead and buried?:

I'm not saying players aren't at all responsible; however most of the reason Arena declined, and is continuing to decline, is because Rare never gave the mode the attention it needed.

I don't agree here.

I believe the reason it failed is because of the actions of the player base that ruined the spirit of the mode.

• @personalc0ffee said in Arena mode dead and buried?:

I don't agree here.

I believe the reason it failed is because of the actions of the player base that ruined the spirit of the mode.

I think you´ll need to educate me on this: in what way did the players ruin the - whatever that´s supposed to be - spirit of arena?

If any, the spirit of arena is to throw down as hard as possible to win against 4 other ships. And if you do find yourself in a TDM lobby - either run chest or participate, so thats certainly not a dealbreaker imo.

So i´m with @TheBlackBellamy on this, rare at one point just decided to abandon arena. Which would be fine, if they at least would maintain it - but even that seems to have ended and is the reason we´re kinda...sad.

• @maxinvicte TDM is not arena mode.

That in particular is what had the largest impact on arena in my opinion. That and people just outright ignoring the mode. The mode was at it's most prominent in Arena 1.0 during launch and then the numbers started to drop because people lost interest due to TDM. So Rare revamped the mode and re-released it and it didn't save it either. Literally turning it into blatant PvP mode, could not save Arena. The toxicicity already got in.

People would get on to play the mode as intended and TDM matches were being played instead and when someone would attempt to play as intended they would have a swarm of multiple people, board and spawn camp them the ENTIRE match. That or they'd meet just absolutely toxic individuals and it just killed it for player after player after player.

The reason Rare added no more grind is because their internal data, told them the truth. People don't like Arena and only a VERY VERY VERY small amount of the player base would consistently play it and it was not worth investing more money into a sinking and failed experiment.

Arena did not die because Rare did nothing with it.

Arena died because the majority of players didn't want it.

• @personalc0ffee

The toxicity in adventure has become just as bad by now, but you´re right, it´s been a problem in arena, can´t deny that.

And yes, arena pulled in far far less players than adventure - which is only natural i´d argue, and so yes again, from a business standpoint it only made sense to take a step back from arena.

And also the whole TDM problem to me isn´t that much of a problem, since TDM lobbies will

1. announce in the lobby, that they´ll TDM, so you can still leave
    2. usually leave u alone if you don´t interfer, so you got a free win by chestrunning at your hands.

But thats not the topic anyway.

My problem, the problem of most ppl complaining is not that they don´t expand arena.
    It is, that Rare makes it unplayable instead of simply maintaining it - which, from my uneducated standpoint, should not be too hard.

We went from "only hitreg" to chest bug to "fixed" chestbug, which never fixed it to the unability to even get into servers! Now that has nothing to do with focussing another gamemode, thats just plain neglection, which in my eyes is not justifiable, since i stilll paid to play the whole game and be able to get all the commendations.

• The problem with Arena Mode has been going on for a while and impo has to do with more then just player behavior. One of the main issues with that mode which plays a heavy part in it having as low a player base as it does, is that it can get monotonous.

It's the same thing over and over again... and it gets boring after a while.

When it comes to adventure mode, there are a variety of things one can do, while Arena Mode tends to just be a constant repeat of 'capture the flag', which can get boring no matter how may different ways one tries to play it. Sure it's fun the first couple of rounds but after that it's just repetitive dredge work and by that point, any bad sportsmanship encountered with other players is just piled on and makes it not worth doing when compounded with the boringness of the task.

Arena could do with some revitalization by adding different kinds of options to it.

• There could be a collectors hunt where people have to find a variety of items and turn each of them in first, rather then just one chest. A riddle (rather then a light) showing where to find items that people have to solve.

• There could be an escort quest where one set of players has to protect a ship sailing a route and the other set of players tries to steal the loot on board and/or sink the ship.

• There could be a flame lighting race where a group could fight to have their light lit on the top of the hill at the end of a combat timeframe.

Basically different ways to set players against each other in a trial scenario without it just being ships circling a chest and chest turn-in point.

• Give us the original Arena back. I am sure more people will play it then

• @personalc0ffee

I did not think Rare killed arena. Of course numbers would drop after release and I do not thing arena would ever be the main draw. It would still be a nice option.

• @miserenz A lot of players, especially in that circle, think Rare killed Arena. They don't realize the ramifications of their actions and in general the natural progression of these things.

I mean, look at Fallout 76, they removed their entire PvP mode. Atomic w/e it was. Straight up just removed and re-sprinkled the rewards and lore in the main mode.

Companies aren't too big on just removing things, usually costs less to keep 'em in on life support than to fully cancel and yank it out.

• I think we're seeing what a lot of the partners are doing with private servers and I think a lot of people - myself included - wish that Arena was more of a naval battle royale and naval TDM.

Unfortunately, if it was a true naval BR/TDM, I think you'd see it gain massive popularity and potentially separate the player base too much. Look at all the most-streamed and most-watched games. Aside from GTA and New World...it's mostly BR and TDM games. If I can see that, Rare definitely sees that. I feel like Arena specifically wasn't introduced as a BR/TDM because they know it would be super popular and detract from Adventure mode too much.

• @personalc0ffee said:

I don't agree here.

Yeah of course you do.

You say players ignored it, and you blamed player toxicity (while conflating it with TDMing) in a later post.

After toxic players were banned in masses, did the playerbase return to Arena? After they removed voice/text comms, I saw snarky posts saying stuff to the effect of, "hey I might actually play Arena again." Where are all these people? Now I'm seeing posts about "bring Arena 1.0 back and I'll play," but will they really though?

As I said already, what motivates players to play are cosmetics, titles, and things-to-do. Players mostly ignored Arena because Arena became stale over time. Most folks who finished both grinds either went back to Adventure, or started TDMing out of boredom. If Rare wants more people to play the mode, they need to create the incentives.

This is the last I'm replying in this thread as I'm tired of making the same points and going in circles. You keep blaming players all you want, as I'm sure you will. We can agree to disagree.

• arena had matchmaking issues from the beginning thats why that mode was dead really fast.instead of fixing that problem they introduced sloop arena

• Arena is Dead.
    the only people that play are arena are:

• TDMers (people that just go the Fort and Team Death Match for fun)
    • some confused noob players that dont know what the game mode is
    • people that want the comestics and commentions and after they get it they just leave and never come back
    • NAL Players ( Competitive Naval Combat players )
      that´s it
  • why not just have a seadog server? you can access seadog tavern and pick up voyages that relate to sinking ships/killing pirates/stealing loot. everyone on server would be under seadog emissary and that way you can rank up effeciently and wouldnt need to grab a flag. also at the tavern you can buy any supplies you want (any food, any cannon ball type, and all you want). make it an all out war with plenty of stuff to go around…u can also split the server into 3 different ones depending on which type of boat you want…sea dog tavern area would also be protected so nobody can just come and sink you

• @elfyzenix-fr

Literally trying to find one now. Got 2 games in over an hour and now we're just stuck.

Times are hard.

Views
xbox one767windows 10738competition297
1 out of 46