Cannon balls for support rather than damage?

• So here me out, instead of a cursed cannon ball, What if there was a cannon ball for doing good? I was thinking of an idea for a cannon ball that does healing or repairing instead of damage.

For instance. Say you are in a fight with another crew and your allianced friends (or not) say that they are low on water and need help repairing. What if you can shoot a cannonball that repairs 2-3 holes (tier 1-2) to help them out?

A different idea can be a cannon ball of Healing. So say that the other crew is low on food. You can shoot a cannon to their ship and it will give them back 30% health (I think 20% is to low). It would also be funny if you are hiding on a ship and you switch out their cursed cannon balls with cannon balls of healing.

Views
  • @lightflake my counter perspective is this, why would you want to? The games mechanics work well and the curses just are alls rare and obtainable and making some with healing properties, even though most players run alliance randomly and also the gameplay of your ship is your lifeblood and I don't think many crews are gonna setup shots for support. And waste them if they miss and then that have to reload and shoot the enemy.

• I think this is an interesting idea!

What is wrong about helping out someone you're sailing passed? NOTHING

Just like there is nothing wrong with helping out your alliances and imagine if you didn't have to board their boat, to give them repair help.

Could they also heal our teammates on islands?

I think there's interesting interactions material here.

• What's wrong with it? Try the dichotomy of shooting at someone to help them. I don't know about you, but I'm not gonna wait until someone starts shooting to see if they're helpful. Besides, what if they're just trolling you? For example, firing a cannonball followed by a repairball? What would you do then? It's awfully confusing! And God forbid they have enough to rinse and repeat ad nauseum - that would be the bane of anyone's existence, similar to spawn-camping, but on a ship-sized level.

• It'd certainly be funny, but I think the concept is far too niche. For a solo slooper like myself who is unlikely to encounter anyone friendly, a healing cannonball is beyond worthless.

Counter-suggestion: Pomegranates, mangoes, and pineapples can all be loaded into Cannons to serve a healing cannonball purpose. This way it wouldn't clutter the game with any new items. I still think the way SoT's healing works it'd be an extremely bizarre feature almost nobody would use, but it'd be a better implementation.

I also honestly wouldn't mind the ability to strap loot onto the front of cannons to fire it, too. If it hits a ship, it does create a hole, but the object ends up inside the ship's hold, so you could shoot a ship a supply crate filled with wood and fruit, leave, and refuse to elaborate further.

• @galactic-geek Fair point, but at the end of the day it's up to the other crew to see how they want to deal with it.
    Either not care, either warn & then start seriously blasting back. Worst can be made in terms of trolling like spawn camping as you mentioned tho on a ship sized level is already implemented in the game : just sunk the guys, track them down and do it all over again.
    In my mind it can only be a plus if it was to be added to the game, no matter how often it is used. And hell if there's a big problem with it game mechanics can always just add cooldowns or a specific limit to something...
    (Tho I'm gonna be cash money, I'd rather see another feature than this one being added, but it comes from a good intention)

• @lexilogo Firing loot doesn't happen for a reason. It's called balance.

• @galactic-geek said in Cannon balls for support rather than damage?:

@lexilogo Firing loot doesn't happen for a reason. It's called balance.

That was my gut instinct, but I honestly can't think of many reasons why not?

You could use it on some islands to fire loot back to your ship, but you'd still have to haul it to the cannons, have your ship be positioned correctly to recieve the loot, and be ok with the added noise risk. In some situations, it would be a faster way to haul, mostly out of Forts, but not crazily out of control.

You could use it to fire it to other ships in an Alliance, but I really can't think of a good reason why.

You could use it to fire to an Outpost, that combined with a crewmate being launched there means they could sell it. That'd be practical and not totally situational, but the distance you could do this isn't that extreme, and the waves constantly throwing off your shots means you'd probably want to just dock like a normal person.

You could use it to launch Chests of Sorrow/Rage, which would be very trollish of you, but probably not that effective in practice as it doesn't take very long to grab the chest and throw it overboard, plus the disadvantage of moving into combat babysitting those chests to start with.

Launching Kegs would be undeniably overpowered, but I think that's so ridiculous, it kind of goes without saying that it wouldn't be a thing, the Keg would just explode in your face if you tried it.

If there's something obvious I'm overlooking, I'd like to know, it's totally possible I've brainfarted on something.

• @lexilogo Landing a Chest of Rage on a deck and then peppering it with continued cannonball fire to make it angry and keep that crew's grubby fingers off of it would be pretty hilarious. 😅

• If they make them sparse enough, it could prevent trolling with them. But unfortunately yes, it is a feature that could be abused by keeping someone alive or afloat longer than need be. But I'm conflicted because I like the idea.

Back during Hungering Deep or Cursed Sails these would have been great for your allies.

• To me it doesnt make sense to shoot cannons at someone to help them. Maybe in a sci-fi game, but not a pirate one.

• That’s a fun suggestion! I bet people would panic and start shooting back if they caught you cannonballing them though.

• I think the solution to not knowing whether you're being fired upon or recieving aid is to just make the help cannonballs a different colour. It's a pretty simple fix. Curses are already green and purple, they stand out, make the helpfull ones white or gold or something that stands out.

• @lightflake said in Cannon balls for support rather than damage?:

So here me out, instead of a cursed cannon ball, What if there was a cannon ball for doing good? I was thinking of an idea for a cannon ball that does healing or repairing instead of damage.

For instance. Say you are in a fight with another crew and your allianced friends (or not) say that they are low on water and need help repairing. What if you can shoot a cannonball that repairs 2-3 holes (tier 1-2) to help them out?

A different idea can be a cannon ball of Healing. So say that the other crew is low on food. You can shoot a cannon to their ship and it will give them back 30% health (I think 20% is to low). It would also be funny if you are hiding on a ship and you switch out their cursed cannon balls with cannon balls of healing.

I’m thinking NO. Cannons are for damage only. The mechanics of repair are perfect. Cursed cannon balls are a novelty this game really doesn’t need. What do you mean about other crew? Server alliance? The server capacity is 4 boats. Any alliance creates an unfair advantage.

• I don't think there are enough alliance battles to justify using resources to develop this. Not to mention its hard enough hitting a curse ball as is, let alone when you're trying to apply pressure to an enemy. Here's a good idea to take pressure off your ally. Apply it to the enemy.

• It's a fine idea. Supply ball, repair ball, how bout a paint ball that changes the livery for 3 minutes?

All kinds of fun stuff can be done with this idea.

• short answer: no
    long answer: nope

Views
1 out of 17