Season 4 and The Sunken Kingdom: MISTAKE

• Am I the only one who feels that the latest update was a waste of the development teams resources and time?

The shrines are gorgeous no doubt. And I love the platforming and problem solving.

But having to abandon your ship on the surface has left me with zero desire to complete them ever again. Am I the only one who (for the most part) avoids this content after visiting the shrines maybe 2 or 3 times?

Views
  • I personally would of much rather seen a 3 month development cycle devoted to changing the pre-existing mechanics (sailing, the kraken, meg encounters, skelly ship fights)

Sea of Thieves shines on being unpredictable, and never knowing what your adventures will be.

But it is all starting to feel a little too predictable now

• @paparug420 said in Season 4 and The Sunken Kingdom: MISTAKE:

Am I the only one who feels that the latest update was a waste of the development teams resources and time?

The shrines are gorgeous no doubt. And I love the platforming and problem solving.

But having to abandon your ship on the surface has left me with zero desire to complete them ever again. Am I the only one who (for the most part) avoids this content after visiting the shrines maybe 2 or 3 times?

That’s one dramatic capitalisation of the word “mistake.” That’ll definitely get you taken more seriously.

Personally, I don’t mind the trade off. It’s a risk/reward. I’m not really that scared of sinking, or grouchy if it happens.

Just do one shrine at the start of each session. Nothing to lose that way. And you can spread the content out over the season a little better. Problem solved. Enjoy the free content!

• @paparug420 go to a shrine/treasury with zero loot on board and load up the mermaid statue. Or another tactic you can use: do this to all shrines and treasuries on the map and when all statues are loaded just sail to each individual one, pop the mermaid and load up.

6 shrines and 3 treasuries for a total of 9, each capable of storing 20 items thats 180 pieces of loot ready to load up on your ship.

• @paparug420 Put your supplies in the storage crate and put it in the mermaid.

Send lookouts or be your own every once in a while.

Don't fly an emissary

Row over instead and leave your ship nearby.

NO, these are absolutely not a waste of time and development resources. They are beautiful, wonderful, and they gave us a huge lore dump along with a brand new curse and more fun loot to play with.

Also very highly positive that no good will come from us mucking about with the listerine bottles.

• @callmebackdraft said in Season 4 and The Sunken Kingdom: MISTAKE:

@paparug420 go to a shrine/treasury with zero loot on board and load up the mermaid statue. Or another tactic you can use: do this to all shrines and treasuries on the map and when all statues are loaded just sail to each individual one, pop the mermaid and load up.

6 shrines and 3 treasuries for a total of 9, each capable of storing 20 items thats 180 pieces of loot ready to load up on your ship.

You can do that, can you? I figured only 1 mermaid could be active at a time. I will have to remember that.

Do you know the maximum time that they can be active?

• @personalc0ffee said in Season 4 and The Sunken Kingdom: MISTAKE:

@callmebackdraft said in Season 4 and The Sunken Kingdom: MISTAKE:

@paparug420 go to a shrine/treasury with zero loot on board and load up the mermaid statue. Or another tactic you can use: do this to all shrines and treasuries on the map and when all statues are loaded just sail to each individual one, pop the mermaid and load up.

You can do that, can you? I figured only 1 mermaid could be active at a time. I will have to remember that.

Do you know the maximum time that they can be active?

I don't think there is a maximum time. They'll stay there until you leave, empty the contents or use a portal. I think they will persist through normal merges.

• Sometimes content's just not your cup of tea, that's ok. It doesn't necessarily mean it's a mistake either though.

• Mistake? No.
    Incomplete? Definitely.

My hope is that they really expand on the voyages associated to the shrines and treasuries. I'd love to see a reason for more than 1 crew to be down there at the same time either working together - or against one another - to complete whatever the task is. There are SO many cool things they can do with these new locations.

I do wonder in the back of my head if they will be forgotten opportunity like the Roar has been thus far...but now that all the Pirate's Life stuff is out of the way I am hopeful they'll be able to expand on the lore and the gameplay in both the Roar and in the new Sunken Kingdom.

• Honestly I love the new update you hid your ship go to an amazing under water area I just wish there where some in the devils roar ….I have yet to lose my ship why doing a under water temple just gotta play it smart

• all the content has been good imo. Tweaks here or there I'd make sometimes but I think just speaking about the content and not about bugs and server issues I like it all.

Ever since emissaries came out I think it's just been a steady flow of quality content that serves a lot of people which is really all it needs to be.

Imo content is and has long been a highlight of this game. Some disagree with me on that but the design and usefulness of the content in a pve/pvp risk/reward environment has good consistency imo

It's been great to watch a game that had very little to do blossom into a game that has a lot of stuff to do and it offers a pretty ridiculous amount of hours of entertainment for the content being free.

As far as specific design of the shrines/treasuries I don't have any issue with them at all. It's like any other content some will take a liking to them and do them more than others. People have a lot of options now and that is a good thing in my view.

• Not sure i'd say mistake. But i definitely think Rare are just so out of touch when it comes to what needs to be prioritized in this game. It's beyond ridiculous how, just for example, bugs like the black screen from the ferry is still a thing after so many years, along with a huge bunch of other game breaking bugs. And most importantly the hit reg and fundamental things that are broken that make combat really bad in some ways. I can't even tell you how many times i've literally lost battles 100% because of bugs.

• @d3adst1ck They don't persist through a portal merge?

• High risk and big reward.

But with this. It’s small risk with big reward. Why? Because I do these shrines with nothing worth stealing on my ship. Load up the mermaid statue and if my ship is gone. Come back with a new one.

People scared of leaving there ships unprotected I find questionable. It’s as you never been off your ship and on an island before digging up an X before. Sure you can return to your ship quicker but still, some people are sneaky.

• @burnbacon good post man. I wonder if subconsciously people feel further from their boat because you’re under water. Tbf you hit a merm to return you would probably be within 50 feet quicker than traversing a majority of the large islands.

• mistake ? no

lackluster ? yes

as plenty of people have mentioned you can do these things just fine if you dont have any loot. but removing risk feels like your removing a big part of why the game is fun, the risk, the unknown of what will happen. with shrines you simply dont care what happens because you basically have a empty ship with nothing on it, you get to collect the loot at a time which suits you and the puzzles are suitable for infants so doing them alone isn't satisfying either.

it feels like the devs forgot what makes sea of thieves fun and interesting, also i dont see people doing them anymore. seems like most people experienced them once (or each shrine once) and that was enough

• @greatfailure82 I agree. The removal of risk because noone except the apathetic player base are going to do the shrines with loot already onboard.

No risk as to whether your ship sinks or not feels lackluster as you said

• That's just the whole negative side to it. All you gotta do is find your own way to cope with it. If you were to not leave your ship there abandonned then what would be the risk? You can store loot, stay down there as long as you wish and constantly respawn, you've got food, resources, everything you need! So having your ship to be safe as well? It feels like it's very unbalanced.

• @greatfailure82 sagte in Season 4 and The Sunken Kingdom: MISTAKE:

mistake ? no

lackluster ? yes

as plenty of people have mentioned you can do these things just fine if you dont have any loot. but removing risk feels like your removing a big part of why the game is fun, the risk, the unknown of what will happen. with shrines you simply dont care what happens because you basically have a empty ship with nothing on it, you get to collect the loot at a time which suits you and the puzzles are suitable for infants so doing them alone isn't satisfying either.

it feels like the devs forgot what makes sea of thieves fun and interesting, also i dont see people doing them anymore. seems like most people experienced them once (or each shrine once) and that was enough

If you do them wisely, you can have plenty of treasure on the ship...either hide the ship or one of you stays on board...sometimes when we have to do something bigger on an island, we also leave someone on the ship to watch, so I see not much of a difference here...IF you play wisely

• @paparug420 I've only seen one of those when curious since the season started, but wasn't that much impressed. Not impressed enough to leave my ship for that long a time. I thought: even if my ship's empty: I solve puzzles, open up vaults and there's a fleet waiting for me up there.

I wandered into it during a random crew, when I noticed the mermaids would spawn the loot, so maybe it works differently, but I don't really miss yet another batch of tall tale like puzzles. I'd rather have real tall tales.

• @personalc0ffee said in Season 4 and The Sunken Kingdom: MISTAKE:

@d3adst1ck They don't persist through a portal merge?

I'm pretty sure they get wiped just like loot on your ship, but I haven't checked in awhile either.

• @d3adst1ck I've personally never had a reason to.

• @burnbacon said in Season 4 and The Sunken Kingdom: MISTAKE:

People scared of leaving there ships unprotected I find questionable. It’s as you never been off your ship and on an island before digging up an X before. Sure you can return to your ship quicker but still, some people are sneaky.

For me, it's a pride issue. When you've spent over a year learning how to watch horizons effectively (solo even) so you don't get mysteriously jumped by another boat, only to then be given new content that prevents you from doing the one thing that separates a crew's experience over another just by approach. Yeah, I have an issue, I have a BIG issue with that.

As a pirate with low self esteem, I like my sessions where my ship isn't being given to the ferryman ONCE. These shrines, inhibit that strict stipulation. Should I have a better approach towards things like this? Yes. Will I actually do it? When pigs fly and bananas can sing.

I care about my boat, as should any hopeless adventuring pirate. If it goes down I will understand why it went down, because I'm on or near that ship to face my fate. Not with these shrines, where if you're solo (which you shouldn't be), or your crew is grog-brained and dive deep below the waves for the undersea structures without a watch to keep an eye of boats nearby, it could be gone, without a trace. Even if you store supplies somewhere else so the attacking crew doesn't get it, it's the principle of letting another crew have that useless victory that makes them sleep better at night that I don't appreciate. I refuse to look or feel like a loser because I decided to play new content. I just don't feel okay with that, and that fear has followed me ever since I learned how these shrines were going to work.

• I haven't tested it myself (yet), but I've been told the opposite by multiple pirates - loot inside mermaid statues transfer over through portal jumps (or did). Though they may have been lying (to trick-troll me into losing my own loot), so... 🤷‍♂️

Also, if you go to any treasury, you can quickly collect ~10 tridents using the mermaid statues (without even having to do the event). That's a lot of firepower for PvE. 😉

• I guess what I wanted to find out is whether or not people are even doing the shrines anymore.

Once you've done them 2 or 3 times, is there any incentive to go there again?

Are people really starting there sessions by going there first and loading up?

Or is everyone like me, and for the most part avoiding them completely.

I guess what I wanted to find out is whether or not people are even doing the shrines anymore.

For me, once to get the journals. Never again unless I get a coral bottle. Same with the treasuries honestly. Only collected 2 breath of the sea thus far.

I guess what I wanted to find out is whether or not people are even doing the shrines anymore.

the one where you just dive deep into the shipwrecks is an easy breath of the sea when a person gets the quest

most of them can be an easy way to throw on some emissary grade

decent activity when playing casually just for something light to do that isn't too intense

not a bad activity to drop someone off at when multitasking

they have their uses just like everything else. This stuff existing as an option is a good thing. More so now than ever people have more options to do different types of stuff. We are serving more play types by offering not only high risk and high reward but quality pve content for people that don't play as intensely

• I always do the shrines xbox only server and have never been sunk for whatever reason. They are fun and some loot is very high value. I do them solo so even if my boat gets sunk I’m in the shrines 1.5 to 2 hours. Players are welcome to waste that time camping but they never do.

• @paparug420 I haven't touched them since i completed all the commendations. Gotta agree, pretty bad mechanic that you have to abandon your ship. No problem if you have a large crew, but a bad design when you consider solo players.

• @paparug420 I believe it was a waste of time not because you can have your ship sunk, but because once you have completed all the shrines and commendations there is no reason to go back. The loot is not worth the effort. These shrines will be left dormant.

• @paparug420 I agree, A simple ship bell to tell you there's a ship in the area could save allot of this troll sinking from happening, I can sail for many hours solo and not get sunk even if theres pvp crews trying to chase me, but do one shrine, see ya later ship / or you return to 4 vs 1 on your ship, even hiding it away at the rocks does'nt always work now, I would rather abandon the shrine and save my ship.

• As this thread was years old and revived today, it will now be locked.

A general reminder to all, please avoid reviving threads aged past 30 days, as it is considered a necro, and is against our Forum Rules.

Bumping Threads
    Bumping threads with content that is not providing additional information to the original post is not permitted. Resurrecting very old threads is also not permitted. A warning will be issued and the thread locked. Ignoring the warning will result in a temporary ban from the Forums and a final warning. If the action continues, a permanent ban from the Forums will be issued.

Views
1 out of 33